GenWeb Logo Image

Yolo County Cemeteries - Past and Present
Page 3

[ HOME ]

Go to Page

Knight’s Landing Cemetery

Knight’s Landing Cemetery is located at Roads 102 and 113 south of Knight’s Landing. It is located near the Sacramento River. In 1860 a number of people were buried on the Knight's Landing Ridge. The first tombstone is that of James H. Updegraff. The land for the Knight’s Landing Cemetery was donated by Harrison Gwinn and Charles F. Reed, and then the Knight’s Landing Cemetery was organized. There were many pioneers buried in the Knight’s Landing Cemetery. The Chinese, who built the railroad, buried their dead in the southeast corner of the cemetery. Sometime before 1940, the remains of these Chinese were exhumed and taken back to their ancestral burial ground in China with the assistance of the Chinese Benevolent Association of Sacramento.

There were many reports circulating throughout Yolo, Sacramento and Yuba areas that the notorious outlaw Black Bart had been secretly buried in the Knight's Landing Cemetery. I have not been able to confirm this.

The Yolo County Archives cemetery binder for Knights Landing Cemetery contains an alphabetical list of burials.

(The following photographs were taken by Peggy B. Perazzo, used with permission.)

Knight's Landing Cemetery Photo #1 Knight's Landing Cemetery Photo #2
Knight's Landing Cemetery Photo #3 Knight's Landing Cemetery Photo #4
  • Description of the Knight's Landing Cemetery:

    The Knight's Landing Cemetery is located just south of Knight's Landing. It is covered with grass and a few trees. It is basically rectangular with many of the oldest stones either in the center or to the left towards the back half of the cemetery. It is a lovely, well-kept cemetery, and it feels to very public as the road passes by the front of the cemetery and there are few buffering bushes or trees. There were several very beautifully carved stones amongst them several signed marble stones from the last half of the 1800s and early 1900s from carvers, and monument companies were from Napa, San Jose, Woodland, and Sacramento.

  • Stone Carvers and Company Names Found on Signed Marble Cemetery Stones in the Knight's Landing Cemetery. If you would like more information on the following stone workers, feel free to contact Peggy B. Perazzo.
    City Marble Works, San Jose
    E. F. Hebener, Woodland
    F. N. Fish, Sacramento
    John C. Devine, Sacramento
    H. P. Martin, Woodland
    Martin & Rogers, Napa
    Shafer & Barnes, Woodland

[ Return to List ]


Mary's Chapel & Cemetery, Near the Town of Yolo

Mary's Chapel and Cemetery are located at County Road 98 on the southwest corner of County Road 15 near the town of Yolo. The hours that the cemetery is open are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For further information about Mary's Chapel and Cemetery, you can call Linda Tolson, Mary's Cemetery District Secretary, at (530) 662-1128.

It is believed that the cemetery was named in honor of Mary Cross Pockman. The graves date from 1857, and the cemetery covers a little more than five acres. Mary's Cemetery is unique in Yolo County in that the cemetery is adjacent to a small, classic, gothic-influenced church as was usual during the early days. The present chapel was built about 1900 as the original church, built in the 1850s, burned in 1898.

Mary's Cemetery Transcription: Fred Kemmerle has transcribed the names in the Mary's Cemetery. You will find his transcription on the Interment.net Cemetery Transcription Library web site.

(The following photographs were taken by Peggy B. Perazzo, used with permission.)

Mary's Cemetery Photograph #1 Mary's Cemetery Photograph #2
Mary's Cemetery Photograph #3 Mary's Cemetery Photograph #5

Interior Photographs of Mary’s Chapel contributed by Linda Tolson, Secretary of the Mary’s Cemetery District. The Chapel is available for use; call Linda Tolson for the details at (530) 662-1128.

Interior Photograph of Mary's Chapel #1
Interior Photograph of Mary's Chapel #2
Interior Photograph of Mary's Chapel #3

These two photographs are in the collection of Nancy Hatcher McCullough.

This one is of the second chapel - built more in the center of the Cemetery. Nancy has identified the following four people: Front row 2nd and 3rd from the right: Girl in white dress with hat in her hands - Kate Morris, about age 12, and to the left of her the boy kneeling down with dark suit and Panama hat is Kate's brother, William Campbell Morris, about age 14. About 3rd row, about 3rd person from the right side - Lady in white dress and white hat (looks like a bird?) with boy in dark suit just in front of her is Hanna Hatcher McLeod, 35+/- years old, daughter of William and Sarah F. Mullins Hatcher and wife of John D. McLeod; on the right of Hanna, just looking over her shoulder is Sarah Frances Mullins Hatcher, about 61 years old.

Mary's Chapel and Cemetery about 1893-94
Mary's Chapel and Cemetery about 1893-94

This is a copy of an original photograph of Mary's Chapel - built in 1900 after the second church burned down. This church is the one standing today on the SW corner of CR.15 and 98 - North of Yolo.

Mary's Chapel about 1909-10
Mary's Chapel about 1909-10

  • Description of the Mary's Cemetery:

    On the morning of my visit in July 1999, the cemetery was very quiet and peaceful possibly due to its location far out in the country. The cemetery is covered with well-trimmed grass including the enclosed family plots.

    There were many birds present. Also, there are many mature trees including very tall maples, cypress, and oak and flowering bushes including roses and oleander. Along Road 98 the cemetery faced a field of corn, and along Road 15, there was a field of tomatoes, so the views are at a distance. Looking across the cemetery from the chapel, you can see the coastal hills to the west.

    There were many very beautiful, intricately carved stones and amongst them several signed marble stones from the last half of the 1800s and early 1900s from carvers and monument companies from Napa, Sacramento, San Jose, Woodland, and Woodbridge.

  • Stone Carvers & Company Names Found on Signed Marble Cemetery Stones in the Mary's Cemetery. If you would like more information on the following stone workers, feel free to contact Peggy B. Perazzo
    Aitken & Fish, Sacramento
    Aitken & Luce, Sacramento
    Boyne, Brown & Coley (?), Sacramento
    City Marble Works, San Jose
    E. (T. or I.) Rogers
    H. P. Martin, Woodland
    Hebener, M. & Co., Woodland
    John C. Devine, Sacramento
    Martin & Rogers, Napa
    Rogers & Son, Woodland
    Rogers Bros., Woodland
    San Jose Marble Works, San Jose
    Shafer & Barnes, Woodland
    Shafer & Co., Woodbridge

[ Return to List ]


Monument Hill Memorial Park, West of Woodland

Cemetery location: 35036 County Road 22, Woodland
(west of Woodland just south of the Yolo Fliers Club)

Office: 117 West Main Street, Woodland, CA, (530) 662-1069, email, hours: 9:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday, and 9:00 to 12:00 on Saturday.

The Monument Hill Memorial Park was established by local business people in 1963 as the Woodland Cemetery was getting overcrowded. The cemetery was so named as it was developed around a Coast and Geodetic Survey marker placed there in 1880. It is supervised by the California Cemetery Board.

Lookups and photographs of some of the Monument Hill Memorial Park Cemetery stones are available at the California Tombstone Project - Yolo County. (Scroll down to the bottom section of the page.)

[ Return to List ]


St. Joseph's Cemetery, Woodland

Location of the cemetery: 800 West Street at intersection of Cross Street, Woodland
Parish office: 318 Court Street, Woodland, CA 95695, (530) 662-2805

St. Joseph's Cemetery was established in 1883, according to the earliest burial records at the Holy Rosary Parish. It is a private cemetery run by the Holy Rosary Catholic Church. The St. Joseph's Cemetery is adjacent to the Woodland Cemetery.

(The following photograph was taken by Peggy B. Perazzo, used with permission.)

St. Joseph's Cemetery


  • Description of the St. Joseph's Cemetery:

    St. Joseph's Cemetery is located adjacent to the Woodland Cemetery, and the two cemeteries are divided by a gravel road. When completed, there will be a fence surrounding the these two cemeteries. The cemetery is comprised of two sections interspersed with these gravel roads. The cemetery is entirely covered in well-tended grass, with many mature trees throughout. There are several very old stones and amongst these are a few created by carvers from Woodland and Sacramento from the last half of the 1800s and early 1900s.

  • Stone Carvers & Company Names Found on Signed Marble Cemetery Stones in the St. Joseph's Cemetery. If you would like more information on the following stone workers, feel free to contact Peggy B. Perazzo.
    Aitken & Fish, Sacramento
    Hebener, M. & C. Co., Woodland
    Shafer & Barnes, Woodland
     

[ Return to List ]

 

 

[ TOP OF PAGE ]
yolmail.gif - 14.9 K Peggy B. and Patrick Perazzo
Horizontal Bar - 16.7 K
Copyright 1996- - All Rights Reserved.