Tulare & Kings Counties
Note: Use CTRL-F to Search
This prosperous farmer, merchant and warehouse proprietor at Angiola, Tulare County, Cal., was born in Alameda County, Cal., June 15, 1862. He attended the public school near his home until he was eighteen years old, meanwhile acquiring a practical knowledge of farming on his father's ranch. After he left school he helped with the work of the family homestead until he was twenty years of age, and then engaged in farming on his own account, and so persistently has he followed out the well-laid plans of his youth that, while he has given attention to some other interests, he has been a farmer during all the years of his active life. He is at present engaged in ranching and wheat-raising on the lake. Locating at Angiola he went into the cattle business and bought and sold stock for eight years. In 1908 he engaged in the grain, feed and fuel trade, with a warehouse in Angiola, and he has continued in these lines to the present time with good success. He makes a specialty of the breeding of mules and he was in 1912 the owner of fifty head of as good stock of that class as was to be found anywhere in his part of the country.
In 1886 Mr. Smith married Miss Jennie Morgan, who was born in San Francisco, Cal., in 1866, and they have eight children: Cleve, Grover, Leo, Vieva, Vera, James, William and Edward. Mr. Smith is a man of much public spirit, who has in different ways done much for the welfare for Angiola, for he has the interest of the community at heart and strives earnestly to promote its development and prosperity.
WILLIAM WHITTINGTON (DR)
Notwithstanding his comparatively recent advent at Dinuba, Tulare County, Cal., Dr. William Whittington has established a professional practice which evidences his skill as a physician. Making a specialty of tuberculosis of the lungs, he has achieved a success which has been remarked by his brother physicians throughout central California. . His beautiful home is presided over by his wife, who is giving Christian training to their children, and he possesses the friendship of many and esteem of all who are so fortunate as to have made his acquaintance. Of Northern birth, but of Southern extraction, he unites all those qualities of enterprise and of cultivation which make for the very highest American citizenship. Besides, be represents honored families of pioneers. Early in the history of southern Illinois Joseph Whittington, his revered grandfather, came from Tennessee and settled near Benton, Franklin County, where he secured a. tract of virgin soil on which he farmed the remainder of his life. His son J. F. Whittington was born and lived out his days near Benton, Ill., dying in 1886. His wife was Mary Spencer, a native born Tennessean, and accompanied her parents to Illinois, where she still lives in the companionship of some of her children. There were ten in all, of whom Dr. William Whittington was the first born, and of whom five are living.
Doctor Whittington is the only one of the family now living in California. He was born near Benton, Franklin County, Ill., and grew to manhood there on the old family homestead on which he was taught practical farming. Agriculture possessed few attractions for him, however, and early in life he turned to school teaching, and in his intervals of teaching read medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. C. 0. Kelley, of Ewing, Ill. In 1878 he became a student at the Missouri Medical College, at St. Louis, Mo., where he was graduated March 4, 1880, with the degree of M. D. He began his practice at Ewing, Ill., but soon moved to Campbell Hill, Jackson County, that state. In 1891 he came to California and opened an office at Reedley, Fresno County, whence he moved in 1893 to Tulare County. In the period 1898-1900 he was in active practice of his profession in Los Angeles and in 1902 located in Dinuba. While a resident of Illinois, he was identified with the Southern Illinois Medical Association which still retains his name on its roll of members.In 1876 Dr. Whittington married Miss Virginia Hackney, a native of Tennessee, their wedding ceremony having been solemnized at Elkville, Ill. Her father, E. J. Hackney, was born in Tennessee and represented long lines of Southern ancestry. To Dr. and Mrs. Whittington have been born children as follows: Pearl Ione is the wife of H. Hamner, of Fresno, Cal.; Frank Edmund died in infancy; William E., who is a salesman for the San Joaquin Light & Power Co., married Miss Grace Akers; Charles Roy, who is the proprietor of the Dinuba Electrical Works, married Miss Grace Nichols; and Ray Hackney is a graduate of the Dinuba high school. Dr. and Mrs. Whittington are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Dinuba and liberal contributors toward its maintenance and that of its numerous charities. He is a Thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and a member of Dinuba lodge, F. & A. M., and is identified with the Woodmen of the World. As a stockholder and director, he is prominent in the affairs of the United States Bank of Dinuba, the history of which dates from its establishment in 1908. He is the owner of a twenty acre orange grove just coming into bearing in the Smith Mountain country.
HENRY L WILSON
HENRY L WILSON
The family of Wilson of which Henry L. Wilson is the head came to Tulare County in January, 1906, and was the first to domicile itself on what is now the site of Alpaugh. Mr. Wilson was born in Morgan County, Ill., March 27, 1867. After he was old enough to go to school he was a student in the public school until he was nine years old, and he devoted the ensuing eleven years to acquiring a knowledge of farming on his father's ranch and incidentally helping his father with his work. In 1889, when he was about twenty-two years old,he began farming for himself in Nebraska, but in 1901 removed to Phoenix, Ariz., where he bought land and kept the books of a planning-mill concern. He remained there but a short time, however, and in 1906 he was established in Alpaugh as the proprietor of blacksmithing and implement business and as a freighter between Alpaugh and Angiola. In the spring of 1907 he was elected manager of the local water company, which position he held three years with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of all others concerned. For some time he has been doing business as a building contractor and as a real estate dealer and ably filling the offices of constable and notary public. His latest venture has been in well drilling, and he possesses one of the finest well-drilling outfits in central California, thus being prepared to do such work at short notice, if necessity so demands. His interest in education and in religion has made him useful in the community as a school trustee and as the organizer and chairman of the Christian association, of the bible class of which he is teacher. In a general way he has the progress and prosperity of the town at heart and is liberal in assistance of all movements for the benefit of its people. He is the owner of sixty acres of land near Alpaugh.
Fraternally Mr. Wilson affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen, the Royal Highlanders and the Fraternal Brotherhood. He married, November 30, 1893, Miss Minnie F. Lois, a native of Texas, and is the father of seven children: Chester H Ralph C., Ross L., Earl 0., Fred W., Lloyd E., and Grace L.
One of the pioneer merchants of Hanford, Kings County, Cal., is Samuel Rehoefer, a member of the firm of Steele& Rehoefer, exclusive shoe dealers, his partner being F. J. Steele. Mr. Rehoefer is a native of Bavaria. When he was ten years old he came with his father's family to the United States and they settled in Kentucky. From there he went to Alabama, and thence to Texas, where he passed the years of his young manhood in different dry goods establishments. In 1878 he came to California, and in the period 1878-82 he was connected with dry goods enterprises in San Francisco, Dixon and Stockton successively. He came to Hanford in 1882 and established the dry goods house of the Kutner-Goldstein Co., of which lie was part owner and general manager for twenty-three years. The first store of the company on Sixth street had a floor space of fifty by one hundred feet. This, under Mr. Rehoefer's progressive management, was gradually enlarged from year to year until the store was one of the largest and best appointed in the County. In 1903 he disposed of his dry goods interests and with Mr. Steele as a partner opened a shoe store on Seventh street, which has been so skillfully managed that it is one of the most conspicuous of the prosperous business institutions of the city. Other interests than merchandising have to some extent commanded Mr. Rehoefer's attention; he owned at one time an eighty-acre alfalfa ranch in Kings County and he is the proprietor of the Palace rooming house block on Douty street. In many ways he has demonstrated a public spirit which marks him as a useful and helpful citizen. Fraternally he affiliates with the Masons, in which he has attained the thirty-second degree, and with the Knights of Pythias.
WILLIAM GEORGE BASSETT
Elsewhere in these pages appears an interesting biographical sketch of Mark Bassett, an Englishman, who came to Kings County from Fresno County in 1895 and has achieved more than state-wide reputation as a breeder of stock, hogs and poultry. Among his children was William George Bassett, who was horn in England, October 9, 1876, and is successfully farming eighty acres of his father's land at Armona, twenty-five acres being in vines and most of the remainder in orchard, his principal horticultural products being apricots and peaches. He also gives some attention to farming.
In the affairs of his community Mr. Bassett is patriotically interested and he is now filling the office of deputy sheriff by appointment of L. D. Farmer and is serving in his second term as trustee in the Armona school district. Fraternally he affiliates with the Hanford organization of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
In May, 1903, Mr. Bassett married Miss Chloe Pursell, of Hanford, Cal., who has borne him three daughters, who are here named in the order of their nativity: Mildred Irene, Wilma Helen and Marjorie Ethel.
MANUEL R HOMEN
Conspicuous among Hanford's men of affairs, and locally prominent as a Republican, Manuel R.. Homen is fraternally popular through his identification with the U. P. E. C. and I. D. E. S. He is a native of the Azores islands, born December 6, 1855, and lived at Pico until 1875, when on becoming of age, he came to the United States and stopped in Boston until October of that year. From Boston he crossed the continent to San Francisco, and locating at Los Banos, Merced County, he worked there five years. He then went to Merced and built a hotel which he managed a year and then disposed of it. He had been to Hanford with sheep in 1881 and had become so favorably impressed with its possibilities that in 1886 he returned, intending to make his home here. His first year in the town he spent as a hotel keeper, meanwhile making a start in the sheep business, in which he has been actively interested to the present time. He was in the retail liquor business three and a half years. After he had established himself here he built his old home on Front street, where he lived twelve years, then moved to a second home in the town, at No. 924 N. Redington street, where he remained eight years. He has since sold both houses, and in May, 1910, he bought eighty acres of the Ira Rollins ranch, adjoining the south border of the city, on which is one of the largest houses in Kings County, which serves as his residence. During all this time sheep raising has been his principal interest, but latterly he has given considerable attention to fruit. At one time he owned five thousand sheep which he says he fed at points all over the state. The west side is now the feeding ground for his flocks. Thirty-five acres of his homestead is in vines and thirty acres is in alfalfa.
Other interests than those mentioned have to sonic extent commanded Mr. Homen's attention. He is a stockholder and director in the Hanford Mercantile Company and has invested quite extensively in oil stocks. The economic affairs of the city and County are matters of solicitude to him and he responds generously to an demands upon his public spirit. At Oakland, Cal., in December, 1890, he married Rita Silva, who like himself was born in the Azores and had been reared to maturity at Pico. She has borne him six children: Manuel R., Jr., Alice, Adelaide, Arthur, Elvina and William, all members of their parents' household.
W W BLOYD
In Illinois, October 3, 1860, was born W. W. Bloyd, a son of Washington Bloyd. He was only a baby when his father brought him to California and he lived near Goose Lake until he was eight years old, and then his family moved to Marysville, Yuba County. In 1873, when the boy was thirteen years old, they came to what is now Kings County and located near Hanford, the father taking up a homestead and settling on a hundred and sixty acres of railroad land, to all of which property he subsequently obtained clear title. Making a home farm of it he lived there until his death, which occurred in July, 1910. His eight children and his widow all survive him and they all live in Hanford.
It was near Hanford that W. W. Bloyd began farming, and he was successful there until 1886, then going to Fresno County, where he farmed until 1902, when he bought ten acres near Hanford. He also bought twenty acres adjoining the first purchase and diminished the latter by selling eight acres of it. He improved the place by the erection of a house and good barns, and as rapidly as possible put it under cultivation. He has four acres of vines, three and one-half acres of apricots and three and one-half acres of peaches, and gives attention to the breeding of horses.. In June, 1904, he was made superintendent of the ditch systems of the Chamberlain-Carr Company, the Guernsey Canal and Lakeside System and the Branch Canal Union Water and Ditch Company. He is a director and the secretary of the Settlers' Ditch Company.
In 1882 he married Mary A. Bostwick, and they have three children: Charles Edward, of Fullerton; Chester A., who lives near Hanford; and Ethel, who is a member of her parents' household. Mr. Bloyd affiliates with the Woodmen of the World and is a citizen of unquestionable public spirit.
A native of England, Mark Bassett, who has achieved more than state-wide reputation as a breeder of horses, cattle, hogs and poultry and whose ranch three miles north of Hanford is one of the show places of that part of Kings County, was born August 1, 1848. He remained there until 1880, becoming a farmer, then came to Canada and located in Ontario, where he farmed eleven years, until he made his way across the continent to California. He came to Kings County in 1895 from Fresno County and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land two miles north of Hanford, one hundred and sixty acres four miles north, and eighty acres at Armona. His one hundred and sixty-acre homestead has one hundred acres in orchard and vineyard; the other one hundred and sixty acres is in alfalfa except forty acres which is given to fruit; and his .eighty acres at Armona is devoted to the cultivation of fruits and grapes. He has a total of eighty acres in vineyard and one hundred and twenty acres in apricots and peaches. Soon after he came to the County he began raising thoroughbred Poland-China hogs. He imported his original stock and now has forty registered. sows. During the past six years he exhibited hogs at various state fairs and it is of record that he took first prize at the Seattle Exposition in 1909. His hogs and chickens have taken hundreds of first prizes at fairs and exhibitions in Oregon, Washington and California, and are known for their excellence throughout the entire coast country. He also makes a specialty of Percheron horses and is the owner of a thoroughbred stallion and owns a share in another. His chickens are barred Plymouth Rocks and black Minorcas. His land is all well improved and his hope is one of the most attractive in this vicinity.
From time to time Mr. Bassett has very public spiritedly interested himself in numerous enterprises. He is a stockholder in the Lucerne Creamery, in the Armona Fruit and Raisin Packing Co. and in the Farmers and Merchants' Bank of Hanford, and is a member of the Kings County Chamber of Commerce.
In October, 1872, Mr. Bassett married Miss Helena Lander, a member of old English families, who has borne him twelve children, ten of whom are living: Helen, wife of J. Malott; Mabel, who married Frank Purse II; William George; Mark, Jr.; John; Bertha, wife of John Day; Edith, who married Louis Nieson; Ernest; Guy, and Archie.
MELVIN A HILL
A native of Indiana, born in La Grange County on March 14, 1844, Melvin A. Hill is a son of the late William Remington and Sarah (Gregg) Hill, natives of Monroe County, N. Y., and South Carolina respectively. The former was born in 1815, went to Indiana at an early day and grew up with the pioneer life of that period. He married in that state about 1841, and remained there until September 10, 1859, when with his wife and seven children he started across the plains with ox-teams and prairie schooners. Arriving in this state he settled down to the life of a rancher, following this until his death here, with the exception of a short time spent in Oregon, where be went to join his son Melvin A.
Melvin A. Hill attended school until he was fifteen and remained in California with his parents until .1864, when he went to Oregon. Soon after lie returned to this state, and in 1874 we find him in Tulare County after having lived and labored for a time in Ventura County. Farming has been his occupation ever since reaching manhood. When he came to this part of the state Kings County had not been set apart from the mother County of Tulare and all trading was done in Visalia for many years. He bought one hundred and sixty acres of land on the Hanford-Tulare road, began its improvement and assisted to build the Lakeside ditch to supply the water for irrigation. All the improvements seen on his ranch have been placed there by himself and he has carried on general farming and stock raising with increasing success all these years. There is probably no man better informed than is Mr. Hill on the successful production and sale of crops and stock, and it would be impossible for any one to give himself more devotedly to his business or to have brought an enterprise to a higher plane of success.
In Santa Barbara, Cal., on September 1, 1872, occurred the marriage of. Melvin A. Hill with Cynthia Reuk, a native of Adams County, Ill., and two children were born to them, Henry, who is farming on eighty acres given him by his father, and Cora, who died in infancy. Mrs. Hill passed away in September, 1909, and on September 15, 1912, Mr. Hill was united in marriage with Mrs. Mary Ball.
GEORGE W HOUSTON
A breeder of cattle, horses and hogs in the district of Kings County, Cal., southwest of Hanford, who has won prominence by his excellent stock and good business ability is G. W. Houston. Born near Bloomington, Monroe County, Ind., August 11, 1853, Mr. Houston passed his early life there, learning farming and studying in the public schools. He was married in 1877 and some time later went to Kansas, where he lived about three years, and in 1889 he came to California, locating in what is now Kings County. His first year here was spent in operating the George Camp ranch near Armona, and the following year he was on the Ernest Rollins ranch. His next venture was. to lease two hundred and forty acres for five years, on which property he put in ten acres of vineyard 'and twelve acres of orchard. His first purchase of land was in 1904, when he bought eighty acres which he has developed into a fine ranch. When it came into his possession part of it was devoted to vineyard and some of the rest of it to orchard. He has put out eleven acres of it to vines and taken up the old orchard and has forty acres under alfalfa. Ail the improvements on the place are due to the enterprise of Mr. Houston, who has used the best judgment in the selection of trees and vines. Cattle, horses and hogs are among his chief products. They are of the best breed and bring the best prices in the market.
On December 26, 1877, Mr. Houston married Miss Minerva A. Morris, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of Hiram and Rebecca Morris, and it was in the Hoosier state that their wedding was celebrated. Mrs. Houston has borne her husband four sons andtwo daughters, Ernest W. and Everett R., born in Indiana; Grace S. in Kansas; and Oscar C., Howard G. and Blanche in California.
Everett R. and Ernest W. are in the real estate business at Hanford. Grace S. is the wife of Claude C. Overstreet and lives in Lemoore. Oscar C. is a member of his parents' household. Howard G. is in the Coalinga oil field and Blanche is a student in the highschool at Lemoore. While Mr. Houston is a lover of home and confines himself very closely to his own private business, he is intelligently interested in public questions and is glad, whenever possible, to do his utmost for the good of his community.
U G HASTINGS
Two and a half miles northeast of Lindsay, Tulare County, Cal., is located the productive ranch of U. G. Hastings, a farmer and orange grower, who is well known throughout the community as a progressive, enterprising business man. Mr. Hastings was born in Contra Costa County in 1868 and was only four years old when his parents moved to Tulare County and settled near Woodville. Lyman H. Hastings, his father, a native of Ohio, came to California in 1850 and died in 1874. His mother, a daughter of Missouri, is still living.
After he was old enough to go to school, Mr. Hastings devoted his years until he was sixteen to his educational advancement in preparation for the life of endeavor which was before him In his seventeenth year, he became self-supporting and was variously employed until 1892, when he began farming for himself. In 1896 he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land at $6 an acre and devoted his energies with considerable success to the cultivation of wheat and barley. In 1900 he made a purchase of eighty acres and in 1909 one of twenty acres more. He is now giving his attention almost exclusively to oranges and grain. His ranch is well improvedand outfitted with every essential to its successful cultivation.
In 1904 Mr. Hastings married Miss Agnes Limegrover, of this County, who has borne him a daughter, Norma A. Mrs. Hastings' father has passed away, but her mother survives. It cannot be said that Mr. Hastings has been a lifelong resident of California. It is true that he was born here and lives here now, but in 1898 he entered upon a four years gold quest in Alaska, in which he was successful. During this time however Mr. Hastings returned to California in 1902 and the next year made a second trip to Alaska, locating a claim in the Fairbanks camp, but he returned to California in the same year and was married in San Francisco in 1904. He then went back to his mining claim in Alaska, taking his bride with him, and they remained there until 1911, he meeting with marked success in his mining ventures. Their little girl, Norma A., was the first white child born on Clear Creek in the Tanana district, Alaska. Fraternally he affiliates with the Woodmen of the World. Having no active participation in political work he is, however, intelligently interested in every question affecting the welfare of the people and does his full duty as a voter and a public-spirited citizen.
JUDSON ANDREW DIBBLE
The progressive and thoroughly up-to-date farmer and stockman who has won an enviable reputation among his fellow citizens, is Judson Andrew Dibble, a native son of this state, having been born at Santa Cruz, Cal., October 12, 1869. He was four years old when his parents moved from, Santa Cruz to Tulare County and settled in the Lakeside district. There he attended school until he was sixteen years old, and after the completion of his studies he was busy until he was twenty-one years old in assisting his father in the latter's agricultural operations. The time had now come when he was to assume responsibilities for himself, and he went into stock-raising and farming and achieved success almost from the outset. In 1895 he acquired one hundred and sixty acres of good land which he has developed into a fine homestead, fitted up with suitable buildings of all kinds, including a comfortable residence, the farm being well stocked and provided with modern machinery and appliances such as are demanded in scientific farming in California.
Politically Mr. Dibble is a Republican, proud of the history of his party and devoted to the measures by which it plans to promote the best interests of our citizens of all classes. He faithfully performs his duties as a citizen and so far is he from having been an office seeker that he has declined such public preferment as he has been urged to accept. His interests in education impelled him, however, to assume the duties of trustee of the Lakeside schools, and in that capacity he was efficient in raising the educational standard in his neighborhood.
May 24, 1893, Mr. Dibble married Miss Lulu Skaggs, who was born in Tulare County, April 5, 1875. They have three children, Ella A., Alta E. and Nora L.
From the position of an humble employee in the Farmers' Union Warehouse at Tulare, Frank Poe, through diligence and painstaking; effort, rose after five years' service to his present place as manager. He is a native of Minnesota and was born August 5, 1868, a son ofHiram B. and Eliza Poe. Reared and educated in Minnesota he came to California with his parents when he was eighteen years old. After having devoted his energies to farming for many years, the elder Poe in 1907 sold out his ranch interests and moved to Tulare, where he died in July. 1911, his wife having passed away two years earlier.
From the time of his arrival in Tulare County until the beginning of his connection with the warehouse Frank Poe was variously employed, and after five years' faithful service he was made manager, this being seven years ago, and since has ably filled the position. The Farmers' Union Warehouse Company has a history of success dating from 1885, when it was organized at Tulare by outside capital.
By his marriage with Miss Phoebe Garrison Mr. Poe united his life with that of a good woman who has proven herself a most worthy helpmeet. Fraternally he affiliates with the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Independent Order of Red Men and the Woodmen of the World, all of which orders have representative bodies in Tulare. As manager of the Farmers' Union Warehouse, Mr. Poe is in close touch with the business community of Tulare and its tributary territory, and as a business man and citizen he has demonstrated a public spirit which has made him helpful to all local interests.
Philadelphia, Pa., was the scene of the birth of Charles Fisher, now of Tulare County, Cal., April 15, 1853. When he was three years old his family moved to Missouri, and there were passed the years of his boyhood and young manhood. It was not till 1886, when he was thirty-three years old, that he turned his back on Missouri with an intention of making a home elsewhere. Then he came to California, and locating near Cottonwood creek, Tulare County, farmed there for a year. Next we find him on the Robert March ranch, where he remained two years. The succeeding nine years he spent on the John A. Patterson ranch. On his present home place, south west of Visalia, he has lived fourteen years. He rents the ranch, which consists of two hundred acres. Thirty-five acres he devotes to alfalfa, fifteen acres to prunes and peaches and seven acres to raisin grapes. He has also a fine dairy of seven cows. He has sold as much as $1900 worth of fruit off the ranch in a single season. He has made a study of fruit growing, to which he has given twenty years, and has not hesitated to experiment; some of his experiments have turned out well. At this time he has six acres planted to Egyptian corn. In the early days of his residence in California, he hauled grain from Lindsay. Then that part of the County was a wheatfield and land could be bought at $5 an acre which now commands a high price.
In 1879 Mr. Fisher married Jane Kirkman, a native of Missouri, and they have six children: Agnes; Jacob C., James F., Anna May, Deva E. and Harley M. While he takes an intelligent interest in all matters of public moment, Mr. Fisher has little liking for the activities which are popularly known as practical politics. He is, essentially, a business man and by choice devotes his abilities to farming and fruit-growing. In many ways he has demonstrated a public spirit which has been helpful to the community.
J A HANNAH
While the American people present to view about the most heterogeneous conglomeration of humanity ever known in history, it is true that the population has long been made up mainly of descendants of emigrants from the British Isles. Canada is a distributing station for much British immigration to the United States, and in our industries, from the railroad builder to the bank president, the men from Canada have shown excellent qualities and their offspring have not only been successful, but in most instances have been exceedingly prosperous. J. A. Hannah, lawyer, with office in the Harrell building, Visalia, Tulare County, comes of old families well known in the history of the mother country and its colonies and is a native of New Brunswick. He was educated in Canada and at the Harvard Law School, which he entered in 1876 and from which he was graduated in 1878. He practiced his profession in Nevada until 1888, when he located at Visalia, where he has since lived, gaining distinction at the bar. He is the owner of twenty-six hundred acres of valuable ranch land near Strathmore, Tulare County, on which he grows vines and alfalfa and has bred many fine cattle.
In 1899 Mr. Hannah married Miss Kate Miller, a native of California, and they have daughters, Margaret and Dorothy. Fraternally he affiliates with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and as a citizen he is helpfully public-spirited and not without recognized political influence.
JOHN MITCHELL GLASGOW
A native of the Emerald Isle, John Mitchell Glasgow was born near Belfast, September 20, 1864. He lived in Ireland until he was seventeen years old, acquiring a primary education and receiving some training in useful work. Then he crossed the ocean to the . United States and located at Auburn, N. Y., where he was employed in the delivery of milk for a dairy. In 1887 he came to California on his wedding trip and settled in Tulare County. His first few years here were busy ones. He farmed the old Terman ranch on shares, raised cattle in a small way and cut and hauled wood. Thus, and otherwise at times, he was employed until he bought his homestead of nine acres, which was the nucleus of his present one hundred and eleven acre farm, which includes several subsequent purchases. He has a dairy of twenty cows, six acres planted to Egyptian corn, and four acres in prunes and peaches. His land produces a ton and a half of alfalfa to the acre and he sold during the season of 1912 eighteen tons of prunes from three acres for $450.
In 1887 Mr. Glasgow married Maggie Henry, a native of New York, and they have four children: Harry H., Ina B., Iva M. and Lena. Ina B. is attending business college in Stockton. In all things pertaining to the advancement of the best interests of his community, Mr. Glasgow is patriotically interested, and there is no measure that in his opinion promises to benefit any considerable number of his fellow citizens that does not receive his encouragement and support. He is a member of the Loyal Order of Moose, devoted to its various interests and respected by its brotherhood. His success is but another demonstration of the fact that grit and hard work will win in the game of life if intelligently applied to everyday problems and persisted in until the hoped for end is gained. What he has done and is doing other Irish-Americans have accomplished and are accomplishing, and they are proving the claim that has been made for them by many observers that they constitute one of the really admirable elements in our foreign-born citizenship.
Scions of the old New England stock do well in California, and California is justly proud of many of them. They have helped make history from coast to coast. Of such ancestry is Arthur Burton, a native of Lee County, Iowa, born October 7, 1866. His parents were Edward and Mary J. (Wren) Burton, his father a native born Vermonter and his mother a product of Illinois. Edward Burton left Vermont in the early '40s and crossed the country with an ox- team to Chicago, then little more than a big country village, sitting low down in the mud and scarcely alive to the prospect of things to come. He farmed in Iowa until 1885, and then came to California. Having brought some money with him, he was able to buy a ranch near Visalia, Tulare County, which comprised seventy acres, on which. he raised stock and alfalfa. He lived on that place until March 4, 1912, when he passed away, aged seventy-seven years, active to the end. His children are Mrs. Edith Weston, and Arthur, whose name introduces this article.
In the conduct of the paternal farm Arthur Burton helped his father until 1903, when he bought his present ranch home, four and one-half miles west of Visalia. He owns sixty acres which he developed from its original condition. His homestead proper he devotes to the production of alfalfa. In connection with his own place Mr. Burton is conducting the home ranch.
On December 7, 1894, Mr. Burton married Ethel Wilcox, a native of Illinois, who has borne him two sons, Hollis H. and Carroll E. He is a member of Four Creek lodge No. 94, I. 0. 0. F., and affiliates with the Fraternal Brotherhood.
LEVY NEWTON GREGORY
The California citizen of the Dinuba neighborhood, whose career has been most worthy as a soldier, a pioneer and a successful man of affairs, is Levy Newton Gregory, who was born in Carroll County, Tenn., February 6, 1843. When four years old he was taken by his parents to Cedar County, Mo., from which place the family moved two years later to Springfield, Mo., where the son was educated in the public schools. Here he learned his first lessons in farming and made his home until 1870. Meanwhile, in 1862, when he was nineteen years old, he enlisted in Company I, Second Missouri Light Artillery, under Capt. S. H. Julean. A year and a half intervened between the date of his mustering-in and the date of his mustering-out It was a time of hardship, of much rough service and poor living, which, however, is not the least pleasant of Mr. Gregory's recollections of the past.
When Mr. Gregory came to California it was as a poor man and it was not until 1891 that he was able to buy land. He remained on his first purchase until ten years ago, when he came to Dinuba and bought twenty-five acres of land at $40 an acre, which because of his labor and the rise in property values in Central California is now well worth $600 an acre.
In 1870 Mr. Gregory married Sarah J. Hill, a native of Missouri. Of their seven children three are living. George was born in souri and died in California. James G. married Nettie Patterson and is living in Tulare County. William A. married Maud Fairweather and he, too, lives in Tulare County. Fred A. was born in Oregon, Mo., and died, aged twenty-six years, leaving a widow and one child. Bert Wiley, who is a well known ranchman in Tulare County, is the only one living of triplets.
Mr. Gregory is an Odd Fellow and a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Through his fraternal relations, no more than by his social intercourse with his fellow citizens he is popular with all who know him. In every relation of life he has proven himself generously helpful and his public spirit, many times tried, has never been inadequate to any legitimate demand upon it. His father, Wiley B. Gregory, a native of Tennessee, died in Texas at the advanced age of eighty-nine years. His mother passed away in Missouri. Mrs. Gregory's parents died in Missouri, where her father, Lawson Hill, was in some ways well known.
The well known attorney and counsellor at law and breeder of trotting horses whose name heads this article was born at the University of Marburg, Germany, June 15, 1852. He came from a family of bankers. His father, Moritz Erlanger, was a banker and merchant at Marburg. Our subject was educated at Gymnasium at Marburg. When seventeen years of age he entered the employ of the banking firm of von Erlanger & Son at Frankfurt on Main and continued till 1870, when he was forced to resign his position owing to the fact that he was drafted into the military service in the French and German war. He did service in the ambulance corps, after which he sailed for New York, where he arrived in October, 1870. He came to California in 1871 and in 1872 located at Kingston, where hewas employed as bookkeeper in the store of Jacob and Einstein until the spring of 1877. It was while thus employed in the year 1874 that he and thirty-seven other white men were held up, bound and robbed by that historic California bandit Tiburcio Vasquez and his band of thirteen outlaws. They were plundered to the extent of $4,000.00 and Vasquez and his men made their escape, but were later, in 1874, apprehended and arrested by officials from Los Angeles County and were hung in 1875. Upon the completion of the railroad to Hanford and Lemoore he came to the new town of Lemoore, where for two years he was a bookkeeper for J. J. Mack & Company, general merchants. Meanwhile he built the hotel and Masonic and Odd Fellows' hall building, and he established a general notion store in the building, which he was conducting when it was burned. He resumed business in Erlanger Hall, in which a store was operated in front and a dance hall in the rear, but sold out in 1884 and took up the study of law in the office of Judge Jacobs, with which he was connected until 1893, when the latter was elected judge of the Superior Court and moved to Hanford, since when Mr. Erlanger has conducted a general law, notary, real estate, and insurance office. For a time he handled real estate in association with Otto Brandt. Always a lover of horses he engaged in ranching and stockraising, giving particular attention to trotters. His real estate interests broadened into the buying, improving and selling large tracts of land. His health failed, however, and in 1893-95 he lost most of his holdings. It will be remembered that that was a period of financial depression. But he kept to his horses, was made a notary public and had a fairly good law practice, and for two years was deputy assessor under G. W. Follette. In 1895 he branched out as a fanner and stock-raiser and bought considerable property in and around Lemoore. As an outcome of his enterprise he raised Toggles, trotting gelding, which for three years was the fastest horse in its class, taking all records in the state. In 1898 at Los Angeles he trotted the three fastest heats ever trotted in the West. Toggles was sold in 1898 to Mr. Babcock, owner of the Coronado Beach Hotel, and in 1899 won all stakes in the state, and in 1900 was taken East and there won three $10,000 stakes and the championship of his class, and $25,000 was refused for him that year. He took also the premium at a horse show as the most perfect trotter as a show horse in the state. It is interesting in this connection to note that Mr. Erlanger sold this valuable animal for $2500. In 1901 Toggles was retired from the track by his owner. Mr. Erlanger has his dam and two full brothers of him. He has always bred standardbred horses. In 1891 he started by buying twenty-six standard-bred brood mares, which were the foundation of his successes. He calls his brood establishment the Royal Rose Breeding Farm. The sire Royal Rose was a finely bred trotting animal. Mr. Erlanger has at present a large number of horses for breeding and is developing Lightening Bug, a full brother of Toggles, which made 2:22 in 1911. He is now devoting himself principally to his legal and real estate work. In 1906 he was elected justice of the peace for four years and is also filling the office of city recorder. He has subdivided and sold off several tracts of land and was the builder of the first Masonic and Odd Fellows' hall in Lemoore. Politically he affiliates with the Republican party and as a member of the County Central committee and otherwise he has been a leader in its local work.
Personally Mr. Erlanger has a generous heart, a loving: and cheerful disposition, and makes and holds many friends. He rounds himself with many pets, horses, dogs and birds. One of his best pets is a native California bald eagle named "Old Abe," a bird which has won national distinction. In the year 1906 an agent of the United States Government from the Smithsonian Institute at Washington came to Lemoore, looking up data pertaining to the Indians of this region and other things of interest. He soon discovered in "Old Abe" a perfect type of the bald eagle, and had his photograph taken, and this photograph it is believed is the original for the eagle engraved on the new five and ten dollar gold coins.
DAVID WARD DE MASTERS
A pioneer of pioneers, Marshall Foster De Masters, a native of Missouri, crossed the plains, with ox-teams to California in 1849, the memorable gold-seeking period that will be ever memorable in the history of this state and of the country at large. He settled in Tulare County, on the old Rush place, northwest of Visalia. Later lie sold out there and moved to the Kibler farm, where he was a successful breeder of cattle, sheep and hogs to the time of his death, which occurred in 1861. In his time he was prominent in connection with the important affairs of his adopted County. In the days of the Indian wars he was captain of a. local company that was pitted against the savages in defense of the settlements round about.
In Tulare County, October 16, 1855, was born David W. De Masters, son of Marshall Foster the pioneer. His has been, for the most part, the life of the cowboy, though he has at times acted as guide in the mountains of California. In all parts of the country he has driven cattle. At one time he drove a band of sixteen hundred cattle across country to Paso Robles for C. W. Clark, and in 1869 he crossed the Sierra Nevada mountains with a band of three hundred and drove it all the way to Spring Valley, Nevada, a trip which consumed five months and thirteen days. He enjoys the distinction of being one of the few cowboys yet living who ran cattle through central California in the early days. For the last thirteen years he has been superintendent of the Persian irrigation ditch in Tulare County, one of the oldest water systems in this part of the state. In the summer months he is much in demand as a guide to travelers and tourists through the mountain ranges.
In August, 1878, Mr. De Masters married Miss Max Lloyd, a native of California. He and his wife are members of the Independent Order of Foresters. They had two sons: Remmert died in March. 1903, at the age of twenty-four years; and Harry passed away August 2, 1889, aged four years.
The experience of the De Masters family in California covers all periods of its history since the discovery of gold. In the early days of the elder De Masters the settlers had to grind their own flour and drive overland from Tulare County to Stockton for provisions. Flour sold at Stockton at $50 a sack, and other provisions were proportionately high. Marshall Foster De Masters married Miss Amelia Ridgeway. Of their children only three survive, Newton and Stephen D., of Fresno County, and David W. De Masters of Tulare County.
. Mr. Lloyd, father of Mrs. David W. De Masters, came to California across the plains in 1850 and now at the age of eighty-five years is hale and hearty. His wife, Eleanor Coker, like her husband a native of Little Rock, Ark., is aged seventy-nine years. They have three daughters and one son living, all natives of California. Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd were married at Rough and Ready, Nevada County, Cal.
S D COCHRAN
Of old Southern families, but of Irish and Scotch-Irish extraction, S. D. Cochran of Dinuba, Tulare County, Cal., was born in Logan County, Ky., and lived there until he was forty-five years old. He is a great-grandson of Andrew Cochran, who emigrated from County. Down, Ireland, when his son Andrew, grandfather of S. D., was a child of seven years. This was in 1776 and in that year they settled in South Carolina, where the elder Andrew passed away. The surviving family then removed to Kentucky, settling in Logan County in 1804, and it was in Kentucky in 1865 that the grandfather, Andrew Cochran, passed away aged about ninety-seven years. The maternal great-grandfather of S. D. Cochran, John Beatty, lived to be ninety years old and died in Kentucky in 1809; his daughter married Andrew Cochran, and was of Scotch-Irish ancestry. John B. Cochran, father of S. D., was born in South Carolina and married Mary Sawyer, daughter of Squire David Sawyer, of English descent, who emigrated from Pennsylvania to Kentucky in the early years of the nineteenth century. Mr. Cochran passed away when his son S. D. was twenty-two years old and the latter took charge of the old homestead.
S. D. Cochran was educated in the public schools near his boyhood home, but from an early age gave his attention to farming. In 1873 he married Harriet Pierce Coles, who was born in Wilson County, Tenn., on the bank of the Cumberland River, daughter of John Temple and Amanda K. (Bandy) Coles, both natives of Tennessee: Mrs. Cochran is a member of a most distinguished family, characterized for great virility and longevity. Her great-grandmother (her father's paternal grandmother), was a Walters and a native of Tennessee and lived to be ninety-six years of age. Mrs. Cochran had six uncles in the Confederate army. It is of interest to remark that her parents had a family of twelve children, all of whom are living. John Temple Coles, her father, is descended from old Irish families.
Twelve children were born to S. D. Cochran and his wife as follows: John Cowan was drowned in infancy. Robert Cleland married Edith Johnson, is a citizen of Watsonville, Santa Cruz County, Cal., and has three children. Temple Beatty married Emma Clapp, has three children and they are living in Tulare County. Eureka was born November 12, 1878, in Kentucky on the date of the anniversary of her brother John Cowan's death, and she died at her home in the year 1910 from burns received from an explosion. Elbert, assistant postmaster at Dinuba, Cal., married Emma Orrison of Selma, Cal., and they have one child, a son. Eunice married P. V. Carlson of Berkeley, Cal., and they have two children. Manson M. is postmaster at Dinuba, Cal., has been in the government service for the past five years; he married Minnie Wiley, daughter of Assemblyman Wiley, and they have one child, a son. Euvie married Roy W. Wiley, a son of Assemblyman Wiley and they had one child, a daughter, and live at Dinuba. S. D., Jr., is a farmer and resides with his parents. Earl P. is a student at the University of Berkeley, and is taking a preparatory course to enter the Presbyterian ministry; he has held an important government position. Eulalia and Willard are members of their parents' household, the former a senior in the high school, the latter in the grammar school at Dinuba.
When Mr. Cochran came to Tulare County in 1892 much of the best land, as then improved, could have been bought at $100 an acre, a small fraction of its market value at this time. In the school at Dinuba only two teachers were employed; the number at this time is about twelve. In the advancement of education and of all other local interests he has been a recognized factor. While residing in Kentucky he was twice elected to the office of justice of the peace, which office he resigned to come to California, in 1892. He is an elder in the Presbyterian church and a member of the Grange at Dinuba and he and Mrs. Cochran are charter members of the local body of the Fraternal Brotherhood.
J R COOPER (REV)
On a farm in Perry County, Ill., fifty-five miles from St. Louis, was born J. R. Cooper. He was graduated from Monmouth College in 1877 and eventually entered the ministry of the Presbyterian church and now lives near Dinuba, Tulare County, Cal., on rural free delivery route No. 2. His parents were Hugh and Eliza (Despar) Cooper, natives respectively of South Carolina and of Kentucky, and he was reared to manhood amid the healthful surroundings of an Illinois farm. His great-grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Mr. Cooper began his ministry at Solomon, Kansas, and labored there five years; his next pastorate, one of four years, was at Lake City, Colorado, eight thousand six hundred (8600) feet above the sea level. Then he was stationed briefly in Nebraska; then, for three years, at Aztec, San Juan County, New Mexico. Next he labored a year near the Mexican border, with headquarters at Douglas, Arizona. From this last station he came to Tulare County and bought forty acres of land. He has thirty acres in vines and six acres planted to trees and grows six acres of Grand Duke and Hungarian plums which bring a high price in the market. He has planted five acres to Rosaki grapes for shipping purposes and has installed a pumping plant with a four horse-power Holliday engine, by means of which he raises water from a depth of seventy-five feet for irrigation and domestic purposes, in such volume that one hundred and fifty gallons a minute may be discharged. Mr. Cooper's many friends are glad to be able to testify that he is making a distinct success of his venture in central California.
The lady who became Mrs. Cooper is of Scotch ancestry and was born at Ballymena, Ireland. They have a daughter, Jessie E., who was graduated from the Dinuba high school and has been teaching five years. The mother, who was Margaret (McPherson) Steel, came comparatively young to the United States, was educated at the St. Louis Normal school and for some time was a teacher at a yearly salary of $1000. Her nephews, Mathew and Richard Steel, graduates of the University of New York and Edinburg (Scotland) University respectively, have won prominence, the one as a professor of chemistry, the other as a physician in the Indian service. Mr. Cooper is a Republican and a citizen of notable public spirit.
HOLLEY & HOLLEY
This is the story of the California success of two Vermonters. The brothers H. H. and C. H. Holley came to Los Angeles, Cal., in 1889, and both graduated from the public schools of that city and from the engineering department of Stanford University. C. H. Holley has been a citizen of Visalia since 1901, H. H. Holley since 1904. Before they went into business for themselves, they were both engineers for the Mount Whitney Power Company. It was in December, 1907, that they opened an office and began business in Visalia as civil and electrical engineers.
In April, 1911, H. H. Holley bought the real estate and insurance business of the Tulare County Land Company. As engineers, their principal business has been the establishment of irrigation systems, pumping plants for subdivision and electrical power plant. For the last two years they have been quite busy in the organization and promotion of the Tulare County Power Company, an electrical development for furnishing electric power for irrigation and lighting, the main hydraulic plant for which will be located at Globe, on the Tule River, fourteen miles from Porterville. They have installed a steam auxiliary station. at Tulare City, which is now in successful operation. C. H. Holley gives his attention entirely to the electrical side of the proposition. He has land interests in the County, among them some orange land, and a vineyard at Exeter. H. H. Holley is a member of the Library Board of Visalia and in many ways both have demonstrated their usefulness as public-spirited citizens. They are widely known throughout the state in a professional way and both are members of the American Society of Civil Engineers. Having made an exhaustive study of land and water conditions in Tulare County, they are as well informed concerning them as it is possible for anyone to become, and they offer their clients the most thorough and efficient service available.
On North Court street, Visalia, lived that venerable pioneer. James Fisher, who watched and aided the development of the town and of Tulare County. Having come to the state in 1857, he was a human landmark in local history and until his death a connecting link between the old order of things and the new. A son of Spencer and Elizabeth (Henderson) Fisher, he was born at Kaskaskia, Randolph County, Ill., October 13, 1823, and for many years survived, the place of his birth, which once was the capital of Illinois. Spencer Fisher, son of an Illinois pioneer, was born and died in that state. His busy and useful years were devoted to farming. Elizabeth Henderson, who became his wife, was born near Little Rock, Ark., and passed away in the Prairie State. They had five children, of whom James was the longest survivor. "Brought up on the home farm," says a recent writer, "he obtained his early education in a subscription school, which was held in a log house chinked with mud, and having a puncheon floor and shake roof. On one of the slab benches, near the huge fireplace, he was taught to write with a quill pen, and under the instruction of his teacher made as good progress. in the three 'R's' as his schoolmates." When he was twenty-one, he went to Murphysboro, Ill., where he found employment in a store, living at the old hotel owned by Dr. Logan, father of Gen. John A. Logan. In 1844 he took up his residence in Shreveport, La., and for some time managed a ferry, the property of a man named Douglas. Then going back to Illinois, he clerked in a store at Chester until 1855. He was now ready for a change of scene and of employment and had contracted the "California fever." He came out, with horses and wagons, by way of Council Bluffs, Iowa, over the old Mormon trail, arriving at Millerton, Cal., after half a year's weary travel. He made and fulfilled a contract to cut two million feet. of sawlogs for Alexander Ball, then built three miles of road down the mountains from Ball's mill. Later he purchased ox-teams of Ball and hauled lumber from the mill to Millerton and to other points. In the spring of 1857 he moved to Visalia, making that town the headquarters of his transportation enterprise, which he continued about eighteen months thereafter. His specialty was the transportation of manufactured lumber from mill to market. He hauled loads of three thousand feet with six yokes of oxen and received $30 a thousand ($90 a load) for a five days' round trip. In the fall of 1858 he went to Sonora, Mexico, bought a herd of branded cattle and drove them back to California, to a place in Antelope valley, Tulare County, where he sold them at a profit.
In 1860, Mr. Fisher bought two hundred acres of land of R. L. Howison and began the improvement of his homestead. As he made money he made frequent investments in land until he became one of the extensive property owners of Tulare County. Three and a half miles northeast of Visalia, in sections eleven, twelve, fourteen and fifteen, he had thirteen hundred acres under irrigation by means of Elbow creek and St. John's River and its canals. This property, Oaklawn Ranch, is devoted to grain and alfalfa. Four miles further north is the stock farm of ten hundred and twenty acres. At Taurusa, two miles north of Oaklawn Ranch, is a ranch of eight hundred acres which is included in the holdings, and seven miles east of Oaklawn Ranch is another of twelve hundred acres, which he gave to his son, William L. Fisher. Besides his general farming, Mr. Fisher gave much attention to stockraising in the days before the fence law came into operation, having at times twenty thousand sheep. As a stockman he was uncommonly successful, owning many cattle and raising fine mules and draft horses.
The lady who became the wife of Mr. Fisher was Miss Mary E. Howison, daughter of R. L. Howison, who came to Visalia among the pioneers. They were wedded on Mr. Fisher's own home farm, in 1860. Mrs. Fisher has borne her husband three children: Mrs. Alice Markham, who died at Visalia; Mrs. Fannie Boddeu of Visalia; and William Lee Fisher. The Fisher farm residence, one of the most hospitable in Tulare County, was built in 1875. In his politics Mr. Fisher was a Democrat. As a citizen, his public spirit had been many times put to the test and never been found wanting. He died on his home ranch September 18, 1912.
GEORGE S CLEMENT
In Allegan County, Mich., twenty miles from Grand Rapids, George Stillman Clement, a prominent landowner and business man of Porterville, was born October 23, 1856. Near his boyhood home he attended school, and as the son of a farmer he early in life was made familiar with the duties connected with farm life. The year 1864 witnessed the removal of the family to Iowa, and from there in 1867 they moved still further west, settling in Nebraska and remaining there until 1880. That year found them once more in Michigan, and they remained there until 1887, when they came to California and settled near Springville, Tulare County. There G. S. Clement preempted a tract of government land and from time to time he added to this by purchase. At the time he settled there the country was wild and undeveloped and game was so plentiful that he could easily kill any number of deer or bear. He has watched the development of this part of California and has assisted in it to the extent of his ability, having been a member of the school board and identified from time to time with other public interests. For a considerable period he was a well-known figure in the stock business of the County, continuing his residence near Springville until 1910, when lie came to Porterville. Here too he has become well and favorably known and has purchased considerable city property.
In 1887, in Michigan, Mr. Clement married Miss Effie May Cronk, a native of Michigan, whose father died in that state. Her mother was a member of Mr. Clement's household for fourteen years, or until 1912, when she passed away, at the age of eighty-eight. Mr. Clement's father, Jacob Clement, was born in the state of New York and died aged fifty-four years. His mother, who before her marriage was Miss Emily Gault, a native of Michigan, died when her son was about five years old.
LYMAN L FOLLETT
The well-known citizen of Lemoore, Kings County, Cal., whose name is the title of this sketch, was born in Iowa in 1869, a son of Granville W. and Lucy (Abel) Follett. His father, a native born September 25, 1834, went to Fremont, Ind., when he attained his majority and became a clerk in a store there. Eventually the store was bought by Dr. L. L. Moore, who admitted him to partnership in the business, the association continuing until Mr. Follett sold out his interests in Indiana and went to Granville, Iowa. There he conducted a general merchandise business six years, and during most of that time he also filled the office of postmaster. In July, 1875, he brought his son, who was in failing health, to what is now Kings County and deciding to remain here, opened a store within the boundaries of what is now Moore's addition to Lemoore and continued there until 1877. The railroad having been constructed, he found a better location on E and Fox streets, opposite the depot. About that time he and J. A. Fox and Dr. L. L. Moore bought squatters' rights to the quarter-section of land which is now the townsite of Lemoore and eventually the railroad bought their interests. For a time they raised alfalfa where the business of the town is now transacted. Mr. Follett continued in the mercantile business until September, 1882, when his store was destroyed by fire. From that time until 1884 he was profitably employed in boring artesian wells, and from 1884 to 1894 his principal business was threshing. In the last-mentioned year he was elected County assessor of Kings County and filled the responsible office with ability and credit for two terms until he retired from active life. He died at the home of his son, Lyman L. Follett, June 11, 1911.
In 1868, at Coldwater, Mich., Granville W. Follett married Lucy Abel, a native of Ohio, and she bore him four children, of whom Lyman L. was the eldest. The others were Mary E., who died in childhood; Carrie E., who died in 1877; and C. W., born in 1878, who lives at Tuolumne, Cal. In 1888 Mr. Follett married Mrs. Sue Thacker, a native of Tennessee. Fraternally he affiliated with the Chosen Friends and with the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
It was in July, 1875, that Lyman L. Follett came with his father to the site of Lemoore. He was then about six years old. He was reared at Lemoore and educated in a public school there and in the high school at San Francisco, then took up steam-engineering andran engines twenty-two years in stationary work as well as in harvesting and similar operations. In 1909 he engaged in the insurance business at Lemoore in connection with real estate operations and since then has done much conveyancing and officiated as notary public. In November, 1911, he was appointed city clerk and sewer inspector of Lemoore. He served as deputy assessor of Kings County under his father and was city assessor of Hanford in 1900. R. A. Moore, of whom a biographical sketch appears in these pages, is associated with him in the real estate business. Mr. Follett was formerly a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and his social affiliations now are with the Woodmen of the World, the Red Men and the Knights of Pythias. He married in 1894 Miss Kate Esery, a native of California, a daughter of Jonathan and Sarah A. Esery, and she died in 1908, after having borne him four children: Charles Granville, La Verne, Eileen and Ernest. The latter is with his uncle at Tuolumne. In the municipal election at Lemoore, 1911, Mr. Follett was elected City Clerk, which office he fills with entire credit to himself and city.
The flight of years is not likely soon to make the people of Tulare County, Cal., forget the late Elias Jacob. He gave so much energy to the upbuilding of his personal success, he won so many signal triumphs, he did so much for others, that those who labored side by side with him in the pioneer days of the modern California remember him with a certain tender pride that is nothing short of personal mourning. His success meant the advancement of the country's best interests, the extension of all its affairs of moment, social, political and commercial. He was born in Germany, of German parents, in 1841. His father was a merchant, and even as a child the younger Jacob knew something about business. With a sturdy independence that was characteristic of him, he made his way to California when he was only twelve years old, found employment at Stockton in a .drygoods store, and in that position busied himself till 1856, about three years after his arrival. He had learned something of American business ways. He liked California, but wanted to see more of it before settling down to a good long struggle for fortune. He passed a year at Millerton, then the seat of justice of Fresno County, and then came to Visalia to take charge of the store of his brother-in-law, H. Mitchell. Mr. Mitchell passed away in 1859 and young Jacob became his successor and enlarged the store and continued the business until 1876. Meantime he had opened several stores in different towns in Fresno and Tulare counties, which had been successful. Now, his health having declined, he retired from trade and devoted himself to the acquisition of land, and in the years following bought about forty-five thousand acres in Tulare County, his largest single tract containing fifteen thousand two hundred acres. It is a matter of most interesting farming history that in some years his entire acreage was sown to wheat. He improved his property with artesian wells, putting down as many as eight on some single .tracts, using the flow of water both for irrigation and for storage.During his mercantile career, in the days before he was an extensive land owner, he was an enthusiastic advocate of the opening up of irrigation ditches, and his ventures in that way brought him manifold returns, and the lands he acquired have grown very valuable because of their ample water supply. The stock on his holdings long remained intact. He built many houses in Visalia, all of which 'became a part of his estate when. he passed away. His death occurred October 1, 1902.
The whole community appreciated Mr. Jacob's personal characteristics, recognizing in him a citizen who gave the best of himself for the public advancement. In his political affiliations he always gave his support to the men and measures of the Democratic party, and was one of its most influential workers in the County. Wanting no political preferment for himself, he repeatedly refused such as his admiring friends would have bestowed upon him, at the same time putting forth his best efforts to promote the principles he endorsed and to augment the prestige and influence of his party in his part of the state. He served for many years as a member of the County and state Democratic Central committees. Fraternally, he was a Royal Arch Mason, and it is a part of the Masonic history of Tulare County that he was the orator of the day on the occasion of the laying of the cornerstone of the courthouse at Visalia by the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of California.
LEWIS WASHINGTON HOWETH
The late and respected citizen of Porterville, Tulare County, familiarly known as "Luke" Howeth, was born in DeKalb County, Ala., June 4, 1837, a son of Thomas and Nancy Howeth, natives of the same state. Following are the names and birth dates of their other children: William,1818; Tandy B., 1819; Fletcher, 1820; Harvey, 1821; Nelson, 1823; John W., 1824; Eliza, 1825; Martha, 1827; Sarah, 1828; Thomas, 1829; Jefferson, 1831; Cornelius, 1833; Catherine, 1836; Byron, 1838, and Franklin, 1841. Nelson, Jefferson, Cornelius and L. W. lived in California.
In his native state Lewis Washington Howeth was reared and educated and under his father's instruction and that of some of his elder brothers, acquired a practical knowledge of farming. In 1855, when he was about nineteen years old, be made an overland journey to California and mined in Inyo County until 1860, when he took up farming in San Joaquin County. From there he went to Tuolumne County, thence to Stanislaus County, and for a time he was engaged in lumbering in Mendocino County. After his marriage, which occurred September 25; 1867,Mr. Howeth removed to Tulare County, making his home here until his death, June 9, 1904. During his residence here he became one of the most extensive sheep-men of the County and he became equally well known as a tiller of the soil
In maidenhood Mrs. Howeth was Miss Sophia Gardner, born in Jefferson County, Ill., April 5, 1843, the daughter of Jacob and Sophia Gardner, natives of Germany, who came to the United States in 1840 and settled in Illinois. From there they came to California in 1852 by way of the Isthmus of Panama. They located in Tulare County and it was here, in 1858, that their daughter became the wife of John Hewey. He died in 1864, leaving a widow and two children, Emma R. and John W. Hewey. Mrs. Hewey's marriage to Mr. Howeth occurred in Stockton. Of this marriage the following children were born: Mary Lee, who died in infancy; Franklin J., who was born in 1869; Thomas A., born in 1871; Lucy in 1873, the wife of H. W. Manter and the mother of two children; Elizabeth, born in 1876 and the wife of H. J. Thomas; Edgar W., born in 1879; May, born in 1881, the wife of Roy Smith and the mother of two children; and Hazel, born in 1883, the wife of Fred LaBrague and the mother of one child.
In his political affiliations Mr. Howeth was a Democrat. Fraternally he was identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. His place in the business community is filled in part by his son, Thomas A. Howeth, a native of Stanislaus County. The latter, who was formerly a farmer and merchant, is now handling real estate quite extensively atPorterville.
FRANK P SMITH
At San Jose Mission, Santa Clara County, Cal., Frank P. Smith was born in 1852, a son of Henry C. and Mary (Harlan) Smith, natives respectively of Michigan and Illinois. His father crossed the plains to California in 1845, with Colonel Hastings, who blazed the way for the tide of emigration that was to follow, a little later, after the discovery of gold. For a time he was at Sutter's Fort. He was occupied in whipsawing lumber in the woods north of Oakland and then went to the mines when the excitement was the greatest. In the early days, when California's capital was at Vallejo, he was three times elected to represent his district in the legislature, and for some years he was justice of the peace at the Mission of San Jose. As an interpreter of the Spanish language he had, perhaps, no superior in all California as such he was often called upon to help in the settlement of matters of great importance. The last year of his life he passed at Livermore, Cal., where he passed away in 1875. He had children as follows: Frank P.; Emma, who has taught school at Livermore for more than thirty years; and Charles F., of Richmond, Cal. Mrs. Smith is now living at the age of eighty-six years, making her home at Livermore.
It was in the original Contra Costa County that Frank P. Smith grew to manhood. He engaged in ranching there, and after a time went to a place near Cambria, on the Pacific, in San Luis Obispo County, where he began dairying. After twenty years' residence he came, in 1901, to Tulare County. For four years he operated the old Broder ranch, east of Visalia, then came to the place that he has since owned and occupied. It is located five miles west of Visalia and comprises three hundred and fifty-eight acres, of which a hundred acres is in alfalfa, twenty acres in Egyptian corn, and the balance in grazing and general farming uses. He has a dairy of forty to fifty cows and has usually about a hundred and fifty hogs. As an example of the productiveness of California land, he says that in one year he cut from eight acres of land four tons of wheat hay and then planted the same land to Egyptian corn and produced a thousand pounds of corn to the acre.
In 1882 Mr. Smith married Miss Martha Chappell, a native of Gilroy, Santa Clara County, Cal., and she has borne him two sons, Henry C. and Charles L. In his work he is assisted by his sons, who take an interest in local affairs and are members of Four Creek Lodge No. 94, I. 0. 0. F., in which Henry C. holds the office of vice-grand. The father is a Native Son of the Golden West. A man of enterprise and public spirit, he has in many ways demonstrated his interest in the County and its economic problems. His uncle, Ira Van Gorden, was so early a settler in Tulare County that when he came he could count the white inhabitants of the County on the fingers of his two hands.
WILLIAM N STEUBEN
The first agent of the Wells-Fargo Express Co. at Visalia, Tulare County, Cal., was William N. Steuben, a native of New York, who crossed the plains with other pioneers in 1849, mined in Placer County three years and came to Visalia in 1852. Soon he was made agent of a local express company, called the Overland Stage Company, which was later taken over by the Wells-Fargo company. His recollections of the business included the experiences of the days when all express matter came to California in the overland stages, guarded by sharpshooting pony express riders, and of the days of the development of the express business along modern lines, in which the railroad is the chief utility. He passed away in 1892, having been succeeded as agent long since by his son Zane Steuben, who was the local representative of the company at Visalia for nearly fifty years prior to his death, which occurred on Washington's birthday, 1908. The elder Steuben took an active interest in all public affairs of the town, particularly in the establishment and development of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he was a devoted member. He married Miss Katherine Hamilton, a native of New York, and their family consisted of : Zane and Katherine, married to Ned Hart, who in the early days was identified with the United States land office at Visalia ; her children, William N., Frank R. and Ned Hart, are deceased.
It was in 1852 that Zane Steuben came to California, around Cape Horn. For a time he mined at Placerville ; later he became his father's assistant in the express office, and in time his successor, as has been narrated. He married Mary Louisa Elme, and they had four children: Mrs. Mary E. Burland, William E., John and Catherine H., who died in infancy.
From the day when the Wells-Fargo company began to do business at Visalia to the present time, the Steubens have been in charge of its local affairs. Something of the administration of William N. and Zane Steuben has been told. William E. and Mrs. Mary E. Burland are now in charge of the office. John Steuben is working for the Central California Cannery, having the management of the receiving department. The history of the Steuben connection with this important interest for so many years is a history of faithfulness to duty and of fidelity to all trusts, a history that carries a lesson for good to men and women who would succeed worthily and permanently.
One of the prosperous and highly respected fruit growers of Tulare County, Cal., is James Sweeney, who owns a fine ranch near Farmersville. Mr. Sweeney was born in Kentucky June 10, 1858, and left home when very young, working his way here and there around the country. For quite a while he lived at Cairo, Ill., and later at St. Louis, Mo. His opportunities for schooling were limited, but he has a good fund of practical information, which he gained in the "college of hard knocks," and which he finds very useful in various emergencies.
In 1890 Mr. Sweeney came to California and for some time worked for wages on the John Jordan peach, prune and grape ranch of eighty acres near Hanford, Kings County, which he later rented and operated for twelve years. He came to his productive ranch of one hundred and ten acres near Farmersville, in 1902. It was formerly the property of R. E. Hyde and is one of the best improved farms in the vicinity. He owns a tract of twenty acres near by and two town blocks in Farmersville. On his ranch he has four hundred apricot trees, three acres of Tragedy French prunes, ten acres of Laval peach trees and three acres each of orange clingstone, Muir and Susquehanna peaches, and has recently set out eighteen acres of French and Robe De Sargent prune trees. Besides he has thirty acres in alfalfa and keeps hogs, turkeys and a dairy of twelve cows.
The woman who became Mr. Sweeney's wife was Miss Bridget Sweeney, of the same name, a native of Missouri, who has borne him nine children, viz.: Timothy, Albert, Nora, John, Mary, Dorothy, Michael, Maggie and Viola. As a farmer Mr. Sweeney is thoroughly up-to-date and in all his plans and work progressive. His place is well improved and outfitted with good buildings, modern machinery and appliances and every essential to its successful cultivation. As a citizen he takes an interest in all affairs of the community and extends public spirited aid to every movement for the general benefit.
JESSE A THOMAS
Among the progressive farmers of his vicinity is Jesse A. Thomas, whose father, Dewbart W. Thomas, was a native of Illinois ; his mother, Clarinda (Harrell) Thomas, was born in Texas. Jesse A. Thomas was born January 29, 1868, near Visalia, Tulare County, Cal. In 1849 Dewbart W. Thomas crossed the plains to California and for a little while mined in the northern part of the state. Then he came to the Four Creek section of Tulare County, and some time in the early fifties bought eighty acres of land on which he established himself as a farmer. Later he took up one hundred and sixty acres of government land, which he improved during the succeeding eight years, devoting it to the breeding of cattle and horses. He passed away in 1888, leaving seven children: Alexander, Jesse A., Mrs. Nancy Hicks, Sarah Janie, Frances, Weiley D. and Carrie.
Reared and educated in Tulare County, Jesse A. Thomas began his active life as a farmer in association with his father, and after the latter's death managed the. home farm three years. He then rented three hundred and twenty acres of land north of Visalia, on which he has won success as a farmer and dairyman, maintaining a dairy of sixty-seven cows and growing much alfalfa. He now owns eighty acres of grazing land on Cottonwood Creek and another eighty acres three miles southeast of Visalia. Thirty acres of the latter tract he devotes to Egyptian corn, of which he has marketed ten sacks to the acre. He keeps about fifty head of cattle and as many hogs and is at this time planting peach trees on fifteen acres.
In 1889 Mr. Thomas married Miss Mattie F. De Pew, a native of Iowa, and they have had these children: Lawrence L., Hazel L., Dollie N., Augusta and Jessie F. Dollie N. has passed away. Fraternally Mr. Thomas affiliates with Four Creek Lodge, No. 94, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and with the Foresters of America. As a man of enterprise he is making a distinct personal success, and as a man of public spirit he is prompt and generous in the aid of movements proposed for the good of the community.
JOHN W WILLIAMS
One of the well-remembered citizens of Visalia, Tulare County, of the period including the latter part of the last and the opening year of the present century was John W. Williams, who was born in South Carolina and who died at Visalia, his busy and useful life having spanned the period beginning December 12, 1830, and ending October 12, 1901. He came to California, by way of the Isthmus of Panama, in 1853, and went to the mines of Tuolumne County, where he met with various degrees of success and failure. In 1859 he located near Porterville, Tulare County, where he divided his time for some years between farming and the superintendency of the Tule River Indian reservation. It is a matter of local horticultural history that he planted the first fig tree near Porterville. Later in life he was interested in sheep raising in the mountains. The pioneer days of this comparatively early settler were full of the vicissitudes of life . on the border and in the mines. His skirmishes with Indians were frequent and some of them would make interesting reading were he here to supply the details. In 1862 he went to Sacramento, where he had a band of horses, and the animals were all lost in the flood of that year. Thus suddenly and providentially impoverished, he made his way back to Tulare County and made his home in Visalia, where he held the office of city marshal twelve years. He proved himself the man for the place and the time by ridding the town of a rough and lawless element that had so intimidated former marshals that not a man of them had stuck to the office after real opposition set in. Later he was deputy sheriff two years under Sheriff Parker and four years under Sheriff Kay, performing the duties of the position with characteristic bravery and fidelity.
The lodge of Free and Accepted Masons included Mr. Williams in its membership. He married Julia Storey in 1865. Her parents, Farris and Adella C. (Johnson) Storey, were natives of Georgia, Mrs. Storey died in her native state, and Mr. Storey brought his child Julia to California in 1852, making the journey by way of Panama. After having been for several years engaged in stock-raising in the Santa Clara valley and later near Los Angeles, he located at Visalia in 1857, continuing in the stock business. In 1860 he was put in command of a local company in Nevada which engaged in warfare against predatory Indians, and he was killed while leading his men in a fight. Thus he yielded his life in defense of the settlers. Storey County, Nevada, was named in his honor. Mrs. Williams has one son, J. Fred Williams, a member of the firm of Williams & Butz, Visalia. He married Miss Nellie Jones and they have two sons, Farris W. and Storey F. As his pioneer ancestors were leaders in their time, so is he in his, alive to the business possibilities of this part of the state and solicitous for the development and advancement of all its important interests. The widow of John W. Williams is passing her declining years in the town where he won some of his greatest triumphs, cheered by loving relatives and welcomed everywhere by a wide circle of admiring friends.
One of the most splendid examples of the self-made, self- reliant and persevering men who are now numbered among the prosperous and successful operators in California is Robert McAdam, whose wide interests and signal success in his undertakings have marked him conspicuously in many localities in the commonwealth. He is well and favorably known to the people of Tulare County as the promoter and part owner of the celebrated McAdam ranches, which are situated five miles west of the city. Mr. McAdam is a native of the north of Ireland, his birth occurring September 27, 1851, in County Mayo, son of Samuel and Eliza (Henderson) McAdam, both of whom were natives of Scotland.
The McAdam was a very prominent family in County Mayo, where they followed farming and milling and became land owners. In 1855 Samuel McAdam with his family immigrated to Huron County, Ontario, Canada, and here in. the year following the mother passed away, leaving a family of four children: James, who is mentioned more fully elsewhere in this volume; Robert ; Sidney, who became the wife of Robert Wright, lived in Michigan and died at the age of forty years, leaving one child, Mary, who became the wife of John Jordan and died at her home in Toronto, Canada, at the age of twenty-four, leaving two children. Samuel McAdam married for his second wife Mrs. Sarah (Wiggins) White, of Canada and by her had seven sons, viz.: William (deceased), Alfred, Stephen, Samuel, David, Joseph (deceased), and Charles.
Robert McAdam, son of Samuel, was about four years of age when brought from Ireland to Canada. The loss of the mother at a tender age proved a great hardship and when but seven years of age he was obliged to take an active part in the work of pioneering, swinging the ax and working in the forests clearing land for many long hours. It is difficult to realize in this day that such labor and long hours could be withstood by such a small boy, who, deprived of leisure hours and the many games and diversions which go to cheer the heart of a boy, was instead forced to live the life of a laborer and become inured to the hardest kind of work. While he used the ax and handspike his education was of necessity neglected and as the schools were not modern or well equipped he had little opportunity to obtain a thorough training. However, by natural ability, close observation and attending diligently to good reading he became well informed and his wide and many experiences have been the most able teacher he has ever had. At the age of twenty-three Mr. McAdam married Miss Mary Elizabeth Gemmill, of Canada, and six years later they removed to Pembina County, Dakota territory, where they remained for nine years, successfully farming a tract of six hundred and forty acres especially in wheat. Selling their place they went to St. Martins Parish, Louisiana, where Mr. McAdam accepted a position as manager for the Huron Plantation, a large sugar plantation of eight thousand acres, owned by an English syndicate, and under his able supervision the business prospered, a refinery was built at a cost of $800,000 and the enterprise rapidly advanced. Finding that the climate there did not agree with him he came to Pasadena, Cal., in May, 1892, buying thirteen acres of orange grove for which he paid $6,000, and this he sold eighteen years later at a good profit. Meanwhile he had become the owner of a two-hundred acre ranch, seventeen miles southeast of Los Angeles, which he sold in 1904 and then came to Tulare County to purchase sixteen hundred acres, five miles west of Tulare which he has improved and developed until it is now one of the best of its kind in the state. A further mention of this ranch property is given in this volume under the name of the McAdam Ranches.
Eleven children were born to Robert McAdam and wife, three of whom died in childhood. Of those surviving we mention the following: Isabelle, principal of the Linda Vista schools, is the widow of John McAlpine, and has a daughter, Catherine. Annie is a senior in the University of Southern California at Los Angeles. Frank S. is mentioned elsewhere in this publication as is also his brother William J. Grace is attending a private school at Pasadena. Robert and Fred are students at the high school at Pasadena. liel-en in the grammar school there. About two years ago Mr. McAdam became interested in mining. He is the owner of the Castle Dome Silver and Lead mines in Yuma County, Ariz., and it hasalready been brought up to a paying proposition ; with the splendid energy of Mr. McAdam united with that of his two sons, William J. and Frank S., the present managers, the mines bid fair to become one of the great dividend payers of Arizona. Mr. McAdam is also interested in a gold mine at Goldfield, Nev., and one at Kingman. Ariz. In fraternal circles he affiliates with the Masons, is a Knight Templar, member of the blue lodge, chapter, commandery and Scottish rite. The family are members of the Lincoln Avenue Methodist Episcopal church at Pasadena, where they make their home at No. 766 No. Orange Grove avenue, surrounded by many well-wishing friends who have come to appreciate their gentle and kindly ways, their unfailing hospitable welcome and their generous, thoughtful living.
The McAdam family of which James McAdam is a member numbers among its representatives some of the best, most reliable and active citizens of the state of California, their interests being mostly in Tulare County and throughout southern California. James McAdam, whose residence is now No. 1248 East Colorado street, Pasadena, is a native of Ireland, having been born in County Mayo, March 17, 1849, son of Samuel and Eliza (Henderson) McAdam, of whom more extensive mention is made in the biography of Robert McAdam elsewhere in this publication.
Coming to Canada in 1855 with his parents, here the next year his beloved mother passed away, leaving her sons to face the battle of life together with two sisters who have married and passed away. Like his brother, Robert, Mr. McAdam had few educational advantages, but was compelled while still a young child to assume the duties of hard and arduous toil, which though beyond his strength and years served later to create in him the strong character, inflexible will and unswerving courage for which he is known. In 1884 he removed to Pembina County, Dakota territory, and with little or no capital he began to work for himself and after three years had fully paid for a hundred and sixty-acre wheat farm which was located about three miles from a railroad station. Selling his holdings there in 1894 he came to Pasadena and immediately purchased property which he improved and sold, buying more and entering the real estate business which has increased until he today is reputed to be one of the prosperous men of Pasadena. He is the owner of a quarter block of business buildings there, located on East Colorado street, which is estimated at $60,000. His interest in the dairy ranch in Tulare County is large and he has given close attention to all his property with a view toward improvement and bringing it to the best state possible. A clear-headed, keen-sighted business man, who has attained success largely through his straightforward, honest manner of dealing, he has ever displayed sagacious judgment in his operations, and he is a thorough, practical worker in every line he undertakes.
Mr. McAdam became interested in Tulare County property in 1910, when he purchased three hundred and twenty acres seven miles west of Tulare. He has improved this place by erecting three barns thereon, 44x60 feet in dimensions, with cement floors and stanchions of the most modern kind. In his dairy business every precaution is taken to promote the most extreme cleanliness, the most modern methods being used. Three irrigating electric pumping plants have been installed and every improvement is made toward developing the land. He is a great believer in the fertile San Joaquin valley a splendid field for dairying purposes and the handling of stock. In spite of his meager educational advantages he has become a well-posted man through wide reading and study and he is looked upon as an authority on many subjects of the day, his most pleasing characteristics being his modesty and generosity to aid others in whatever manner is in his power. He believes in intelligence coupled with ability and industry and has no time for drones.
In 1873 James McAdam was married in the County of Huron, Canada West, near Toronto, to\Miss Mary Ann Musgrove. They have two adopted children to whom they have given loving care, Pearl, who is now seventeen years of age, and Edith, eight years of age. Mr. McAdam is a Mason, being a member of the Masonic lodge, No. 272, Pasadena, and is also a devout attendant of the First Presbyterian church, of which his family also are members. A great admirer of William Jennings Bryan, for whom he has voted for President three times, he followed his politics as far as national affairs are concerned. While evincing the greatest interest in civic affairs he has never sought public office, choosing to fill the duties of a private citizen with conscientious effort.
HERMAN T MILLER
Herman T. Miller, city attorney of Visalia, of Exeter and of Lindsay, Tulare County, Cal., is a native son of Tulare County,been born in Visalia in 1874. His father, Artelius 0. Miller, a contractor and builder, came to Visalia in 1858 and died there in 1888, after a career of success and honor. Mr. Miller was educated in the public schools and the high school of Visalia so far as his education was possible in those efficient institutions, was graduated from the University of California in 1899 and from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, in 1901. Returning to Visalia he has prospered as a general practitioner and become well known throughout the state as the head of the legal departments of the three cities mentioned. He became city attorney of Visalia in 1902 and the Exeter and Lindsay appointments followed.
On December 11, 1907, Mr. Miller married Miss Blanche Hewel, a native of California, and a daughter of the Hon. A. Hewel, formerly judge of the Superior court of Stanislaus County, and their daughter, Arabella E., was born June 10, 1910. Mr. Miller is an Elk, a Mason and a Shriner. As a citizen he is influential and public- spirited.
MERRITTE T MILLS
In Sacramento County, Cal., Merritte T. Mills was born January 13, 1853, a son of William H. and Louisa (Lawless) Mills, natives respectfully of Georgia and Missouri. The father crossed the plains in 1849, with an ox-team outfit that, consumed six months in making the journey. After mining some time in Calaveras County he located in Tulare County, two miles southeast of Visalia, late in 1853, and later took up a quarter-section of land nearby, where he was for ten years engaged in the cattle business. Disposing of that interest finally in 1874, he located near Lindsay, where he farmed during the ensuing ten years. Then he returned to the timber belt, locating near the place of his first settlement, and there he and his good wife lived out their days and passed to their reward. Of their children Merritte T. and William H. survive.
Since his father passed away, Merritte T. Mills has been ranching on his own account. For a time he operated one hundred and fifty acres on the plains in the neighborhood of Lindsay, and during the last six years he has conducted his present ranch of forty acres with much success. At this time he has twelve acres in prunes and twenty acres in peaches of the following-named varieties : Phillips clingstones, Muirs, Susquehannas, Fosters, Tuscan clingstones, and early Alexanders. These trees were all planted by his own hands, and though his orchard is only seven years old it has produced good crops. His prunes are of the French variety and in 1911 he sold ninety-five tons of them. The soil of his ranch is rich, his irrigation facilities are good and the place is in every way well adapted to prune and peach culture. Some of his acreage is devoted to alfalfa. He has about eighty hogs of the Jersey Red variety and a dairy of eighteen cows.
The woman who became Mr. Mills's wife was Miss May Van Loan, a native of Wisconsin, and she has borne him eight children: Lura B., Elizabeth, Russell, Howard, Roy, Neva, Ford and Eva. As a citizen, Mr. Mills is public-spirited, devoted to the best interests of the community.
The first day of July, 1835, Robert Null was born in Jefferson County, Mo. He received a limited common school education and when he was nineteen years old, which was in 1854, he crossed the plains to California with neighbors named McVay and Nelson. Their party had but three wagons, but there were larger parties before and behind them and four hundred head of cattle were driven on ahead. They came by way of the North Platte, the Sublett cutoff and the sink of the Humboldt, crossing the mountains east of the American valley, and eighty head of their cattle fell victims to alkali. Indians. menaced but never really molested them. Six months after their departure from Missouri they arrived at Marysville, Cal., and began mining on Nelson's creek, where Mr. Null operated eight years. Then he fell ill of mountain fever and went south to recuperate. He worked a year on a ranch, then returned to mining, operating at Diamond mine and at Gold Hill for a year with good success. Then, following false lures, he and others tried to find mythical mines in one place and another until he became discouraged and went to Oregon, where he lived until 1884. Then he took sixty head of horses to Kansas. He bought them at $10 a head and sold them there at $50 to $60 a head, making considerable money. He returned to California in December, 1892. He bought eighty acres of land a mile and a half north of Traver, where he now lives, and has since made further purchases. He has twenty acres in alfalfa and is conducting a dairy, having a goodly number of cows and twelve head of young heifers, his cows yielding him a profit of $75 each per annum. Four horses are required on his ranch and lie has a flock of about one hundred turkeys.
Politically, Mr. Null is a Socialist. In his religious affiliation he is a Methodist. He married Miss Mary Jane Warmoth, a native of Grundy County, Mo., and a daughter of John and Mary Jane (Collins) Warmoth. Mr. Warmoth crossed the plains with his family in 1861. Following are the names of ten children born to Mr. and Mrs. Null: John D., Robert Lee, Mary Ellen, Nancy J., Louisa, T. Oscar. Richard, Alvin B., Cynthia and Anna B. John D. married Bertha Tarr, and they live in Tulare County. Robert Lee married Mrs. Anna Banty. Mary Ellen, now Mrs. Lee, has four children, Lilly M., Mary Z., James W., and Ruby E. Nancy J. married Allen Anderson, has borne him five children, Robert L., Alfred, Mary E., Vernon and Leland, and they live near Orosi. Louisa married William Crawford and they have children named Robert R., Aaron, Winnie M. and Mary E. T. Oscar married Lily Mullis; they have a daughter named Mary F. and live near Orosi. Cynthia married A. R. Thompson and resides at Hanford; they have two children, Harold and Helen. Richard and Alvin are unmarried. Anna B. became the wife of Edward Hayes and has borne him a son, Robert Earnest, and is living in Tulare County.
GEORGE W POLLOCK
In Washington County, Ind., George W. Pollock was born, February 7, 1856. He was reared among rural surroundings and gained such education as was available to him by attendance at the schools taught near his boyhood home. He was brought up to useful work and thus prepared to make his way in the world.
When young Pollock left his native state it was to go into the neighboring state of Illinois. After a stay of two years there he came, in 1880, to California and settled northeast of Stockton, where he lived and labored with more or less success for six years. From there he came to Tulare County and found employment with the Comstock people, operating sawmills in the mountains. Thus he busied himself six years, then he rented a hundred and twenty acres of land four miles east of Visalia, and farmed for two years, raising wheat, barley, alfalfa and stock. His next venture was on more rented land, this time two and a half miles south of Goshen, the old Tom Coughran ranch, two hundred and forty acres of rich soil, which produced for him alfalfa and stock. There he remained eight years, making some money and learning a good deal about California farming and stock-raising. In 1907 he bought the sixty acres which constitute his home farm, on which he has usually about two hundred hogs and raises considerable fruit. Twenty-five acres of his land is in alfalfa. Looking back on his life thus far Mr. Pollock sees in it a record of ups and downs, but the ups have been more permanent than the downs, and gradually, as all good things are accomplished, he has gone forward to greater and still greater success. He counts his experience as one of work and rewards, and tries to forget the obstacles he has had to overcome.
In 1893 Mr. Pollock married Margaret Preston, of Missouri birth, who has borne him four children: Freal, Bita, George and Elizabeth. Socially, he is a Woodman of the World, As a citizen he has in numerous instances demonstrated an admirable public spirit.
Tulare and Kings Counties, California with Biographical Sketches
History By Eugene L Menefee and Fred A Dodge
Los Angeles, Calif., Historic Record Company, 1913
Transcribed by: Martha A Crosley Graham - Pages 711 - 754
This Web page is sponsored by Supporters on behalf of the California portion of The USGenWeb Project by The Administrative Team of the CAGW. Although believed to be correct as presented, if you note any corrections, changes, additions, or find that any links provided on this page are not functioning properly please contact the Archive Coordinator for prompt attention to the matter.