Tulare & Kings Counties
Note: Use CTRL-F to Search
VISALIA PLUMBING AND SHEET
To be successful in the field of mechanics a man must necessarily possess thorough training in the science which he attempts to represent. The world of today demands skill in every line of labor, and the man who is not prepared to compete with his expert neighbor is beaten ere the flight begins. Apropos of the above subject, Visalia is godmother to a plumbing and heating company of which she is justly proud, and, having helped to maintain its popularity, feels that she has a share in its success and growth. The most difficult points in the work of installing heating and plumbing apparatus, the erection of windmills, tanks and troughs, etc., are accomplished by the Visalia Plumbing and Sheet Metal Company with the greatest skill and ease, as may be attested by the many citizens who have been fortunate enough to secure their services.
Visitors to the showrooms of the Visalia Plumbing and Heating Company feel well repaid for their trip, for there are displayed many models of the most up-to-date appliances for toilets, bathrooms, furnaces, etc., and they are conceded to have the finest and most up-to-date showroom of that character in any town between Fresno and Bakersfield. This business was started about five years ago in the Odd Fellows and Masons building on Church street opposite the court house. Their fine sheet metal work is not the least of their accomplishments, as countless illustrations may testify. The mechanics whom they employ are the best that can be secured, and as they guarantee every detail of their work they have given general satisfaction. The business has grown rapidly and now its annual output amounts to $50,000 worth of business and the plant is indicated as one of the successful enterprises of the growing and prosperous city of Visalia. Against the moderate charges for services, no complaint has ever been received; on the contrary, the people of Visalia and locality are unanimous in their opinion that the terms are low in comparison with the standard of perfection maintained in their work. The firm is owned and controlled by Isaac Clark and Frank A. Newman, long established citizens of the community.
Isaac Clark was born
in Frankfort, Maine, January 12, 1870, and upon completion of his education
learned the stone-cutter’s trade, which he conducted nine years in his home
town, removing thence
to Augusta, where he worked two years at his trade. He then served three years as an apprentice to Malcolm & Dyer, plumbers, after which for five years he filled the position of custodian of the Augusta city hall’. In 1905 he immigrated to California, and choosing Visalia as his permanent location, accepted a position as sheet metal worker for the Cross Hardware Co. Upon, the erection of the factory of the Pacific’ Sugar Co., Mr. Clark was engaged by said company to do the sheet metal work, accomplishing the work most satisfactorily. In 1907 he joined Frank A. Newman and C. B. Porter in establishing a general plumbing business. Two years later Mr. Porter withdrew from the firm, leaving Mr. Clark and Mr. Newman sole proprietors.
In 1897 Mr. Clark was united in marriage with Miss Mary A. Beck, also a native of Maine. They have two charming children, Marjorie F. and Addison W. Mr. Clark is a valued member of the Knights of Pythias, Calantha Lodge, No. 52, and the Bethlehem Lodge, A. F. & A. M., No. 135, both of which he joined in Augusta, Maine.
Frank A Newman was born in Cooper county. Mo., January 31, 1869. His father, Jesse Newman, died before his son reached manhood, and in the fall of 1884 the mother, formerly Elizabeth Hill, brought her little family to California. Frank A. Nevnnan ranched several years and also served as foreman of the Harrell stock and grain ranch. Later he conducted on his own account a three hundred and twenty-acre wheat farm in the Stone Corral district, Tulare county, and he then became an apprentice to the Cross Hardware Co., and upon completion of this service engaged in the plumbing business with Isaac Clark. The partners started their venture in a small way, but their trade grew steadily and they now employ twelve able assistants.
Following is a list of the buildings which this company have equipped with plumbing and heating fixtures : The Exeter high school building, - The Lemoore high school building, the new hotel at Lemoore - The new high school building at Delano. They have also recently nstalled the heating apparatus in the Kingsbury grammar school; The sheet metal and heating work in the Reedley grammar school; All the sheet metal work on the First National Bank building at Porterville; also on the three-story Blue building on Main street, Visalia.
They have replaced the old
plumbing for new throughout the county jail, the three-story Harrell
building, and put in all the new plumbing in the Merriman building.
The Tipton and Lindsay grammar school.
For years Mr. Clark has made a thorough study of the matter of proper heating for public as well as private buildings and uses the gravity and mechanical systems in order to produce complete circulation, replenishing the air in a room from six to ten times during one hour. He has obtained the most satisfactory results both regarding even temperature and sanitation. Among the residences thus equipped by him mav be mentioned those of A. Lewis, H. F. Miller, R. E. Hyde and the M. E. Church of Visalia.
The company has also installed plumbing and heating systems in the residences of R. F. Cross, Capt. II. White, Ralph Goldstein, Meyer E. Eisemau, two houses for J. F. Carter, Mrs. Oaks’ home and numerous other private residences in Visalia and throughout Tulare county.
Both Mr. Clark and Mr. Newman by their rigidly fair and honest dealings have won the trust and favor of their many patrons. In every movement pertaining to the development of the locality they are always prompt to tender their practical assistance. Pages 309-313 ]
HON. WILLIAM M DE WITT
This old established, reliable and successful lawyer of Tulare, Cal., was born in Monroe county and grew to manhood in Warren county, Ky. The time of his birth was May 17, 1839, and his parents were the Rev. Allan W. and Hannah (Tooley) De Witt, his father having been a native of Kentucky and his mother having been born in Virginia. Eventually the family moved to Illinois. From there, in 1859, they crossed the plains with ox-teams to California, starting in April and arriving September 18. Allan W. De Witt, who was a minister of the Christian church, died at Tulare May 31, 1897, his wife having passed away in 1896. Their son Samuel lives in Los Angeles; Eleazar, their second son, is a rancher living west of Tulare; their daughter, Lydia A., is Mrs. Zumwalt of Tulare; William M. is the immediate subject of this sketch.
It was as a school teacher that William M. De Witt began his life in California in 1861, in charge of a country school at Red Bluff, Tehama county. With Job F. Dye he drove a band of cattle and horses from Red Bluff to eastern Oregon in 1862. They intended to drive their cattle up to the mining camps of British Columbia, where there was a great number of miners at work and where they intended to butcher their cattle, freeze the meat by burying it in the snow, and sell it out during the winter as it would be needed. While camping on John Day's river near Canon City, De Witt suggested that they try a pan of the gravel at that place. Mr. Dye improvised a pan, with which they succeeded in finding considerable gold in the very first pan. The news of their find spread and in an inconceivably short time some six hundred miners had located claims and were busily and profitably engaged at placer-mining. It is needless to say that it became unnecessary for them to take their cattle to the British Columbia market. Thus was gold first discovered at Canon City on the John Day's river by William M. De Witt and Jol) F. Dye. Returning to California, Mr. De Witt read law, in 1866 was admitted to the bar and began the practice of his profession at Woodland, Yolo comity. There he succeeded very satisfactorily and attained so much personal popularity that he was elected to represent Yolo county in the State Legislature at the session of 1877-78 and was appointed a member of the judiciary committee and of other important committees. Meanwhile he conducted a successful practice at Santa Cruz for about six years. He came to Tulare from Woodland in the spring of 1878 and has been in active practice there ever since. For ten years he has held the office of justice of the peace in Tulare and during that long period no decision of his has been reversed. He has traveled extensively throughout the state, having visited nearly every county within its borders.
A lover of country life, Mr. De Witt has given some attention to ranching near Tulare. He was married in Santa Cruz, January, 1872, to Miss Agnes McDonald, a native of Vermont, who has borne him nine children: Florence C. (Mrs. Brown), has children named Earl and Maud. Alice W. is Mrs. Barnaby of Spokane, Wash. William H. married Miss Shedler and they have children named Camille and Earl. The others are Walter, John (of Coalinga), Edward and Edna (twins), Irani and Earl. In every relation of life
Mr. De Witt has shown himself
a man to be depended iipon. Whereever he has lived he has taken an interest
in all matters affecting the public good. Since coming to Tulare he has in
many ways demonstrated his solicitude for the advancement and prosperity of
the city and its people. Pages 407 - 408
In 1869 Herbert Askin was born in Crawford county, Mo., and in 1888 he came to California, having in the meantime acquired such education as was necessary to fit him for the career of usefulness upon which he was about to enter as well as a practical knowledge of the plumbing and tinning trades. For three years after he arrived in California he made his father's instruction available by work as a plumber in which he was so successful as to win the approbation not only of his employers, but of the general public of Fresno. From Fresno he went to Hanford, where he remained until January, 1894, when he came to Visalia and established himself in business as a plumber and tinsmith
In 1896 Mr. Askin married Miss Louisa Dinely, a daughter of a Tulare county pioneer. He was successful almost from the outset of his career in Visalia, and in July, 1911, occupied his new building on East Main street, which he erected according to his own plans and which in actual use has proven to be one of the most modern and best equipped structures of its class in this part of the state. While doing a general line of tinner's work he makes a specialty of water tanks and galvanized iron work. The following brief mention of buildings in which he has done the plumbing since he came to Visalia will afford an idea of the scope of his enterprise: City Hall, addition to the Court House, First National Bank building, new high school, Washington grammar school, American hotel, Boone hotel, new Mt. Whitney Power company building, the Visalia club building, the Goldstein block, the Kaweah club building and very many of the fine homes erected or remodeled in the city in recent years.
In 1907 Mr. Askin was elected
a city trustee of Visalia, in which office he served four years. He was
especially honored in 1907 by being chosen to serve as acting president of
the board on the occasion of the opening of the new city hall. The work of
the board of trustees during his term of service resulted in many important
improvements and the administration of the municipal affairs at that time
has passed into history as one conspicuous for its high business character.
It relieved the city of a debt of $7,000, and in 1911 turned it over to the
new board of trustees with $8,000 in the treasury. It put through a $45,000
bond issue to raise funds for the building of the new city hall and the
erection of concrete bridges over irrigation ditches running through
Visalia. It resurfaced all the paved streets of the town and laid
twenty-nine blocks of new pavement. Not the least of its achievements was
the putting of the Mill creek conduit into Visalia. Of all these measures
Mr. Askin was a promoter and with the working out of some of the more
important of them he was personally concerned. During a part of the period
of the activities of the Visalia Building & Loan association he was one of
MORGAN J WELLS
A residence of over fifty years in California entitles Mr. Wells to the name of pioneer, and as such he has borne a noble part in bringing about the improved conditions which we of the present day enjoy. He was born in Dixon county, Tenn., June 15, 1833, the son of Henry Gilbert and Nancy (Wilson) Wells, both also natives of that same southern state. Mr. Wells has no knowledge of his native state, for he was less than six months old when his parents removed from Tennessee and settled in Pope county, Ark. Upon wild and unbroken land which the father purchased he improved a fine farm, carrying on general farming and stockraising for several- years. Another removal of the family in 1856 brought them to California, ox teams being the motive power, and here the parents rounded out their useful lives, the father passing away at the age of eighty-one years, and the mother when sixty years old. Mrs. Wells was the daughter of Adam Wilson, a native of Ireland, who after his immigration to the United. States followed farming in Tennessee.
Of the seven children born to Henry G. and Nancy (Wilson) Wells, Morgan J. Wells was the sixth child and is now the only one living. Needless to say that his educational advantages were meagre when it is known that his entire boyhood was passed in frontier surroundings. The school he was privileged to attend was a rude log affair with shake roof and slab benches, and he was taught to write with a quill pen of the teacher's own manufacture. When he was less than twenty years of age he was attacked with the gold fever and in the spring of 1852 he formed a company and Started with ox teams for the Pacific coast. By way of what was known as the Cherokee route they went up the Arkansas valley, through Denver and along the Platte river to Salt Lake, and from there by way of Humboldt and Carson City to Tuolumne county, and from there to Sonora, six months having been consumed in the journey. After a year's experience in mining there Mr. Wells went to old Millerton, there combining mining and teaming for about three years, when he came to Tulare county and for a number of months thereafter he continued freighting, hauling lumber from the mountains with ox teams.
The year after coming to Tulare county, in 1857, Mr. Wells was married and settled with his wife on the ranch which they now occupy, five miles northwest of Visalia. The nucleus of his present property was one hundred and sixty acres which he entered from the government. The old shake house which at first adorned it gave place in time to a more substantial frame house. Year by year improvements have been made upon the property, enhancing its value as well as its beauty. Mr. Wells carries on general farming and teaming, making a specialty of raising wheat, and he also raises cattle and hogs. Of late years he has given some attention' to the raising of fruit, and now has a fine family orchard, thirty acres alone in prunes, which seem to be especially adapted to this locality. As means and opportunity have made it possible Mr. Wells has added to his acreage, the home farm now containing two hundred and forty acres, besides which he owns what is known as Bone Canyon ranch. eleven hundred acres of land fourteen miles northeast of his home ranch. The last-mentioned property is devoted almost exclusively to grain and stockraising. The Wutchumna canal, in which Mr. Wells is financially interested, supplies water to his property.
Mention has been made of Mr. Wells's marriage. In maidenhood his wife was Miss Catherine Fudge, a native of Tennessee, the daughter of Jolm B. Fudge, a farmer, who settled as a pioneer in California in 1856. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Wells : Mary, the wife of L. H. Douglass, died at the graduate of twenty-three years, leaving one child, David Roy Douglass, a graduate of the San Francisco College of Pharmacy; Sallie is a resident of Visalia; Susan E. became the wife of David Douglass and died in Visalia at the age of thirty-two; Maggie died when eighteen years old; John died when twenty years old; and William Reid is a prominent farmer and stockman, having charge of the Bone Canyon ranch. The son last mentioned married Linda Pleas, a native of California, and they have one son, Donald Morgan.
Politically, Morgan J. Wells
is a Democrat, and at one time served as a member of the county committee.
Elected to the office of sheriff in 1879, in March of the following year he
took the oath of office and rendered his constituents valued service for two
years and ten months. While holding this office Mr. Wells became associated
with a number of celebrated cases, among them being that of Ben Harris, a
negro, who killed his wife and child. Harris was overtaken in the brush by
Mr. Wells and his deputies, and being defied by their victim, he was shot by
one of the deputy sheriffs. Mr. Wells belongs to Visalia lodge No. 128, F. &
A. M., as does also his son, William R. ; and he is also a member of Visalia
chapter, R. A. M., and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Mrs. Wells is a
member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Since 1909 Mr. and Mrs. Wells have
resided in Visalia, having built a pretty little bungalow suited to their
needs at No. 423 South Garden street.
ANDREW JACKSON DAVIS
To the pioneer belongs all honor, and he is invariably given due respect in his own country, for when he has passed away he is remembered as one who gave his life as a part of the foundation on which rests the splendid social structure of a later day. Andrew Jackson Davis was a pioneer whose life spanned the period from November 3, 1833, to May 1, 1901, when he passed away. He was a native of Tennessee and in 1854 left his old home and came overland to California, arriving at San Francisco in the spring of the following year. For three years he was a miner at Hangtown and at other mines on the Frasier river. In 1858 he came to Tulare county and took up government land, near Farmersville, which he improved until he had one of the good farms in that vicinity. He married Sarah Ann Davis, a native of Illinois and of a family of Davises which bore no known relationship to his, and they had children as follows : Alfred A., Fitzhugh, Eva, Irene, Elizabeth A., Clement B., and Andrew P. Fitzhugh died in early manhood, Eva when she was seven years old, Irene when she was five years old and their mother in August,. 1880. Elizabeth A. is the wife of B. W. Jennings, a ranchman near Farmersville. Clement B. died when thirty-three years old, leaving two children and a widow, residing in Los Angeles.
The youngest of his father's family, Andrew P. Davis was born at Farmersville, Tulare county, Cal., May 27, 1877. After leaving school he helped his father on the latter's ranch of one hundred and sixty acres until his father's death, then received thirty acres as his share of the property. He began to farm on his own account in 1898 and planted a fine orchard which adorns his place. Having made a careful study of fruit culture, he has been enabled to obtain the very best results from his trees and in a general way his entire venture has been very successful. In 1907 he took two hundred and thirty tons of prunes from one thousand trees, an average of eight boxes to the tree, and in 1911 the same trees yielded him two hundred and twenty tons. From two hundred and seventy-five Phillips cling-stone peach trees he gathered sixteen tons of fruit in 1910 and fifteen tons in 1911.
In 1897 Mr. Davis married
Elizabeth Titrich, a native of Kansas, and they have children named
Melbourne and Irvin P. Fraternally Mr. Davis affiliates with the Woodmen of
JOHN WHITTAKER BAIRSTOW
Numbered conspicuously among the successful fruitgrowers of Hanford and vicinity is John Whittaker Bairstow, who was born in England, May 23, 1859. He was reared in England and there educated and taught the secrets of the nurseryman, and it was as a nurseryman that he was employed in his native land till he was thirty years old. Leaving his wife and three children behind him in England he came to California about the first of July, 1889, crossing the continent by rail from New York city. He sought work in vain at different nurseries in Oakland and Alameda and was finally compelled to take employment in the planing mill of George C. Pape at East Oakland, where he worked about eighteen months. Meanwhile he made the acquaintance of J. C. Kimball, the well-known prune grower of Kings county, and went with him to Hanford in 1891, remaining in his employ till the fall of that year. During this time he was engaged in setting out a prune orchard for Mr. Kimball and the latter's brother and some of their relatives, handling all the trees and distributing them to different ranches until five hundred and four acres had been put under that fruit. For six months he helped to bud nursery stock in the Lucerne vineyard.
Mr. Bairstow later brought his family over from England and set up his home near Hanford, renting twenty acres of vineyard of N. M. Newell. After the first season, he pulled up the vines and for six years he farmed the land, working out whenever he could spare time from the place. His next venture was as a nursery‑man, raising his own stock. • In 1896 he bought twenty acres of the J. C. Courtner ranch, and ten years later an adjoining twenty, of the Lucerne vineyard. He set seven acres of vineyard on the original twenty, an acre of apricots and a small family orchard, but at this time he uses all the land for nursery stock. In 1902 he established a nursery yard at Hanford, where he carries Early May, Elberta, Lovell, Muir, Admiral Dewey, Wheatland and late and early Crawford free-stone peaches and Heath, Sullivan, Orange, Phillips and Lemon cling-stone peaches; Early Royal, Routier Peach, Tilton and St Ambrose apricots; Ben Davis, White Winter Pearmain, Red June and Red Astrakhan apples; Bartlett and Winter Nellis pears; French, Robe de Sargent and Tradegey prunes; Prunes Simona and English Dawson plums; Muscat and Thompson seedless grapes; nectarines, and sycamore, maple, California walnut, poplar, Texas umbrella and other shade and ornamental trees. He was the first nurseryman to put on sale the Tilton apricot, exhibiting it at the State Fruit Growers' convention in Sacramento in 1902 and taking a first grade diploma for choicest dried fruit in competition with all the fruit produced in the state. This apricot originated here in Kings county with J. E. Tilton, and Mr. Bairstow handles it in his trade.
In March, 1877, Mr. Bairstow
married Miss Louisa Williams, a native and then a resident of England, and
she has borne him five children, of whom two, Lott and Samuel, survive;
Rosson, their eldest, died at Hanford; Ethelbert died in infancy in England,
and another, born in California, died in infancy. Mr. Bairstow is an
American in everything except actual birth that the name can imply. His
interest in the community with which he has, cast his lot is such as to make
him a citizen of much public spirit, and no call for aid toward the
betterment of the condition of any considerable number of his fellow
citizens fails to receive his prompt and generous response.
EDMUND J FUDGE
Among the most prominent citizens of Visalia was the late Edmund J. Fudge, who made his home at No. 423 South Garden street. He served for eight years as deputy sheriff of Tulare county, Cal., and was four times elected marshal of the city mentioned. Mr. Fudge was born in Madison county, Tenn., in 1832, a son of John B. Fudge, and was taken in infancy to Arkansas, where his family lived until 1856. Then they crossed the plains to California with ox-teams, driving cattle and otherwise making the journey in primitive ways of pioneers. In 1859 they came to the vicinity of Visalia, where the father prospered as a stockraiser until he passed away.
After acquiring such education as was afforded him, Edmund J. Fudge took up the activities of life in the teaming business in Tulare county, and in 1861, when he was thirty years old, he went to Arizona and New Mexico, where he teamed and prospected for ore, and about this time he mined in Nevada and for a year in Stanislaus county, Cal. In Arizona he narrowly escaped being killed by Indians; he and four companions were chased by a band of redskins, and three of his companions were killed. Mr. Fudge's horse was shot under him, and he sprang to a seat beside his remaining companion, whose horse made good in a race with their pursuers. For many years after his return to Tulare county Mr. Fudge was engaged in stockraising with M. J. Wells, his brother-inlaw, who has an enviable place in the history of Tulare county as one of its most efficient sheriffs. Under Sheriff Wells Mr. Fadge was appointed deputy sheriff, in which office he served eight years, giving the greatest satisfaction in that capacity. Elected four times city marshal of Visalia, he filled the office with singular fitness and fidelity.
Mr. Fudge owned a
quarter-section of ranch land near Visalia and a quarter-section of timber
land in the mountains, but was for some time before his death practically
retired from active business. Fraternally he was affiliated with Knights
Templar Masons and with the Knights of Pythias. As a citizen he was always
publicspiritedly helpful to all good interests of the community. Mr. Fudge
died at Visalia November 14, 1911. He left an estate valued at about
HARRY JEROME RAISCH
The ability to see a good opportunity and the promptness and energy which enables a man to take time by the forelock are as requisite to the farmer who would succeed as to men in any other business or profession, and perhaps in his work these factors are brought into demand oftener than in the work of his neighbors in other walks of life. One who has demonstrated this fact by the sagacious buying of good land, and by improving and cultivating it with due regard for all influencing conditions, is H. J. Raisch, who lives five miles north of Hanford, in Kings county, Cal.
It was in the honored old state of Kentucky that Mr: Raisch was born on February 7, 1861. However, he lived there but a comparatively short time, for he was early taken by his family to Kansas, where he was reared to manhood, educated in the public schools and initiated into the details of practical farming. In 1883, when he was about twenty-two years old, he came to Hanford, where he prospered for some years at teaming and as a farmer on rented land. In 1907 he bought twenty-two acres five miles north of the city, ten acres of which was a fine peach orchard. He has since acquired an adjoining tract of the same area and is preparing to go quite extensively into fruit culture. Besides this property he owns one hundred and sixty acres of grazing land on the west side which he rents out. In 1912 he inherited twenty-two acres of his father's estate, which is located opposite his home, place and is all in vines. He has improved his homestead with buildings and fences and outfitted it with everything in the way of machinery and appliances that is essential to the successful prosecution of his enterprise.
In 1885 Mr. Raisch united his
fortunes by marriage with those of Miss Cinderella Barlow, who by her
sympathy and advice has aided him materially in the winning of his most
substantial success. Genial of disposition and social in all his instincts,
he has from time to time identified himself with fraternal orders, notably
with the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World. As a citizen he
has shown his devotion to the general good by giving all due encouragement
to such measures as have been promoted for the development of his town,
county and state.
JOHN CULBERSON RICE
A pioneer of Central California who has been identified with its development for over half a century is John Culberson Rice. He was born in Benton county, Ark., April 27, 1849, son of Isaac and Martha E. (Gardner) Rice, natives of Tennessee. In 1857, Isaac Rice, with his wife and children, crossed the plains with ox-teams to California, their journey consuming six months. They passed the winter of 1857-58 in Napa county and in the following spring went to Clear Lake, Lake county, where the elder Rice went into the raising of cattle, horses and hogs. In 1862 he went back to Wooden valley, where he had passed his first winter in California, and bought one hundred and sixty acres, on which he raised stock until in 1867, and then moved to Vacaville, Solano county, in order to obtain better educational facilities for his children. Buying town property there, he also rented land outside which he farmed with success till 1872, when he came to Tulare county and took up a quarter-section north of Visalia. Later he farmed near Dinuba, where he passed away in 1888, his wife surviving him till in 1907. As a Mason and as a citizen, Mr. Rice stood high in the public regard. Following are the names of his children: John C.; Laura, wife of E. Edwards, of Globe, Ariz. ; Mrs. Melissa Smith, of Dinuba ; Ella, wife of John Bacon, a rancher north of Visalia; Maimie Burke; Jessie B., who married James Ryce of Selma; Thomas; Hattie, wife of William Hunter; Charles and Frank.
Through the first winter after the departure of his father from Vacaville, John Culberson Rice remained there. He spent the next two years in Nevada and came to Hanford on Christmas Day, 1876, and farmed for a time south of the city. His present ranch, one mile from the city line, contains seventy-six acres set to fruit and vines, including twenty acres of Muscat grapes, eight of Thompson seedless, three of prunes, twenty of peaches and three of apricots. The remainder of the place is devoted to alfalfa and pasture.
In 1877, Mr. Rice married
Miss Carrie Barton, a native of Burlington, Io-wa, and they have children,
George, at Reedley ; J. Clarence, coroner of Kings county, a biographical
sketch of whom appears in these pages; Mrs. Leila (Rice) Shields, and Lulu,
a student at Mills College. Mr. Rice is a member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows and of the Woodmen of the World.
J CLARENCE RICE
The coroner of Kings county, Cal., J. Clarence Rice of Hanford. prominent as a funeral director, was born near that city December 5, 1880, son of John Culberson Rice, and was educated in the public schools of Hanford and at Heald's Business College in San Francisco. For a time after his return from the institution just mentioned he was in commercial employment, but eventually he went into the undertaking business with E. J. Kelly as a partner. Later Mr. Kelly retired from the enterprise and in September, 1902, W. M. Thomas became a member of the firm. In 1908 Mr. Rice bought the interest of Mr. Thomas, and since then has been sole proprietor. He served as deputy county coroner under Coroner Thomas an(' under Coroner Denton, and so efficient was he in the office that in 1910 he was elected to the office of coroner. •
Real estate has commanded Mr.
Rice's attention for some years and he has bought and sold quite
extensively. At this time he is the owner of fifty acres of apricot and
peach orchard, a mile and a half south of Armona. He served as the first
president of the Kings County Chamber of Commerce, which was organized in
November, 1908, to succeed the Kings County Promotion association. In other
ways he has amply proven his public spirit, and he is regarded as a
patriotic and helpful citizen who has close to his heart the best interests
of his community Fraternally, he affiliates with the Masons, being a Shriner
and a member of subordinate orders, with the Knights of Pythias and with the
Woodmen of the World. In September, 1902, he married Miss Eva M. Sutherland,
a native of California, whose father was a pioneer in Tulare, and they have
a son, Leland Rice.
WILLIAM H DAVENPORT
For more than a quarter of a century there has been identified with Tulare county William H. Davenport, the present general manager of the Wutchumna Water company, who was born in Missouri in 1842 and was among the early pioneers of the state of California. The son of Stephen and Elena (Holloway) Davenport, both natives of Kentucky, he shared their early experiences, which were filled with adventure incident to the coming to the west. In 1846 his father went to New Mexico, but returned in the winter of 1847-48 and in the following spring he treked back to Santa Fe, N. M., taking with him his wife, but leaving William H. and his elder brother, John, with their grandparents. In the fall of 1849 Stephen Davenport followed the onrush to California for gold, arriving at the town of Mariposa on March 17, 1850.
In 1853 William H. Davenport and his brother John crossed the plains to California with the late William R. Owen, a California pioneer of 1849, who brought with him about five hundred head of cattle, and they arrived at Mariposa in September, 1853, joining their parents there. Until the fall of 1857 the family remained there and then moved to Tulare county, settling just north of Visalia near the present site of that city, and here the parents passed away.
In 1863 William H. Davenport went from Tulare county to Nevada, where he was employed in lumbering operations until in 1870, when he made his way back to Tulare county. After ranching in a small way until 1875 he expanded his operations in the Mussel slough district, where be met with varying success until 1882. Then he came to Visalia and connected himself with the Wutchumna Water company, for which he has been general manager ever since. This irrigation ditch company was founded in 1871 by Stephen Barton, Samuel Jennings and Joseph Spear. Its ditch was enlarged in 1879 and its system now comprises twenty miles of irrigation ditches, supplied by the water of the Kaweah river. The system, which follows the contour of the land, has its terminal on section twenty, township eighteen, range twenty-five, and includes the largest artificial reservoir in the county, which has an area when full of one hundred and sixty-five acres, when empty of sixty acres, its sides extending ten feet above low-water mark. Many of the orchards, as well as other farming lands, situated to the north and east of Visalia, are irrigated by this canal.
In 1870 Mr. Davenport married
Miss Ann Early, a native of Texas, and a daughter of a hero of San Jacinto,
who fought under Gen. Sam Houston in that memorable battle of 1836 by which
was won the independence of Texas. Her father crossed the plains to
California in 1849 and returned to Texas, bringing his family to the coast
in 1852 and locating in Mariposa county. In 1868 he moved to Glennville,
Kern county, where he lived until 1884, when he passed away. Mr. and Mrs.
Davenport have a son, Frank Davenport, who married Mrs. Helen Huff and is a
conductor on the Sierra railroad in Tuolumne county. Mr. Davenport is a man
of much public spirit, devoted heart and soul to the interests of his
community, who never neglects an opportunity to aid to the extent of his
ability any movement for the general good.
ETHELBERT S WEDDLE
The family of which Ethelbert S. Weddle was a member removed to Tennessee in 1854 and lived there until 1865, then settled in Indiana, where it made its home until 1874, when it came to California. Mr. Weddle was born in Virginia, April 1, 1849.
Soon after he came to Tulare county, Mr. Weddle went into the sheep business, which profitably occupied his attention four years. At that time the land was all raw and sheep could roam throughout all the territory between the river and the mountains. When he sold his sheep he engaged in contracting and building. Later he took up grain farming and fruit raising and now he has eighty acres in fruit, fifty-five in vines, two in oranges and forty in alfalfa. In 1911 he sold a ton of Muscats to the acre. His seedless grapes yield a ton and a half to the acre. H.e is a thoroughly up-to-date farmer, filled with new ideas, and he employs modern methods in every detail of his work. As a citizen he is public-spirited and devoted to the general interests. Fraternally, he affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and politically he is a Republican.
In Indiana Ethelbert S. Weddle married Theresa Wilson, a native of that state, who bore him children named Charles and Walter E., who are now physicians in the active practice of their profession, one in Fresno, Cal., the other in Reedley, Cal. Dr. Charles Weddle, of Fresno, married Maymie Jacobs and has daughters named Barbara and Beatrice. Dr. Walter E. Weddle, of Reedley, married Margaret Parker, and has children named Robert and Dorothy.
Mrs. Theresa Weddle, who died
November 30, 1908, was the daughter of 011i S. and Elizabeth (Hamilton)
Wilson, and a lineal descendant of Alexander Hamilton. The Wilsons figured
in the period preceding the Revolutionary war, and trace their ancestry to
John Wilson, who participated in that conflict
J ALBERT RAGLE
Farming has been the chief occupation of J. Albert Ragle. A son of California, he was born in Sonoma county in 1861 and has lived in Tulare county since he was four or five years old. Here ne was reared and educated and taught practical farming in a most practical way. His first memorable experiences were in the cattle business in the period after 1870. It was in 1871 that he began to take an active part in the work of the ranch, his father owning at that time six hundred and forty acres and being a leader among the ranchers of his part of the county.
In 1884 Mr. Ragle located on his present home farm, then new land with negligible improvements, and since that time he has devoted himself to its development, making it one of the best orange and general fruit ranches in the vicinity. In 1889 occurred the marriage of Mr. Ragle to Miss Jennie M. Lynn, a native of Arkansas, whose parents are living in Fresno county, where her father, -William F. Lynn, is well known. Mrs. Ragle has borne her husband three children. Adah was educated at Tulare, and on December 26, 1912, was married to W. A. Stone, of Fresno; Etta is in the high school at Exeter, and Orval is attending school near home. William C. Ragle, Mr. Ragle's father, came to California in 1853, one of • a party who made the trip with an ox-team train, consuming more months than it -would now consume days to accomplish the same journey. He began his active life practically without means and achieved a success which made him one of the well-to-do men of his community. He passed away in 1895.
The public spirit of J.
Albert Ragle has been demonstrated in so many ways that he has come to be
known as a useful citizen of the progressive type. For fifteen years he has
been a member of the school board, and in a fraternal way he affiliates with
the Woodmen of the World, and with the order of Artisans.
J M SAGE
That popular and successful dairyman. of Waukena, Tulare county, Cal., whose name is well known throughout the county, was born in Jackson county, Mo., August 13, 1858, and has lived in Tulare county since 1890.
J. M. Sage grew up in the states of Iowa, Missouri and Kansas, where he was a student in the public schools until he was sixteen years of age. At seventeen he began work with a gang on a construction train in Carroll county, Mo., and continued at this work until he was twenty, then procuring employment in the roundhouse as fireman, determining to become a locomotive engineer. Later he accepted a position as fireman and stationary engineer. In 1881 he engaged with the Santa Fe at Las Vegas, N. M., soon thereafter going to Los Angeles, _ where lie went to work for the Southern Pacific and later became engineer on a run from Bakersfield to Fresno by way of Porterville. He saved his earnings and used the $2500 saved as an investment in farming operations in San Joaquin and Tulare counties, having eight hundred acres planted to wheat, but met with almost complete financial failure in this venture owing to the drouth. His holdings now comprise forty acres, which he has developed into a fine dairy property, it being in Kings county, and he feeds and accommodates thirty-seven milch cows. In this venture he has proved most successful.
In 1886 Mr. Sage became the husband of Miss Louisa- Minges, born at Stockton, Cal., in 1859, a most worthy woman who was to him an admirable helpmate until her death, which occiirred in August, 1905. Mr. and Mrs. Sage had children : Bernice, Hazel, Philopena and Wesley, who survived her. Mr. Sage married (second) Mrs. Josephine Simpson of Salt Lake city.
As a dairyman Mr. Sage has
won high reputation, and his business, already large, is rapidly
increasing. The quality and purity of his products commend them to all
discriminating buyers. His dairy is up-to-date in every respect and all his
methods and appliances are such as meet the approval of the most critical
judges. As a citizen he is public-spirited and helpful.
A pioneer farmer of Tulare county as well as a pioneer business man of Hanford, Andrew Sciarone was born in the Canton of Ticino, Switzerland, July 13, 1834. There he received his education and remained until he was twenty-one years old, when he went to Australia and was variously engaged until 1870, then returning to his native country. He arrived in the United States in January, 1872, and came direct to San Francisco. He traveled to Gilroy, Hollister and Fresno, and engaged in farming, and became the owner of land by pre-emption and later on homesteaded a tract of eighty acres, owning two hundred and forty acres in Tulare county, near the
boundary of Fresno county. In 1879 he came to Hanford, when it was a struggling village, and ever since then has made it his home, where for the past fifteen years he has lived retired from all business pursuits. He invested in business property in Hanford and has been interested in the growth and development of the city from its start. Agriculture has interested him ever since he arrived in this country.
In 1854, Mr. Sciarone married
in Switzerland and became the father of one daughter, Josephine, who married
J. Martinetti. Mr. Sciarone has two grandchildren and two
great-grandchildren. His wife passed away in 1897. Of his descendants one
grandson, Albino Martinetti, is attending the University of California at
Berkeley. In every way Mr. Sciarone has demonstrated his public spirit and
has lived to see a wonderful change in the Golden State. Fraternally he is
a member of the Knights of Pythias of Hanford.
It was in the Old Dominion, the Mother of States, and the mother also of men who have won fortune in every state in the Union, that John Sigler was born, February 3, 1852. Such schooling as was available to him in his boyhood he obtained near his father's home, and at seventeen he moved to Maryland, where he lived four or five years before he came to California. He located in Yolo county in 1873 and in 1875 came to Tulare county and bought three hundred and twenty acres of land six miles southwest of the site of Hanford, his present home. He helped to secure the Lakeside ditch and with its aid developed his farm and grew grain for twenty years until he gave up grain in favor of cattle and sheep, which were his principal products till he turned his attention to general farming, though he raised a good many hogs. He has recently bought one hundred and sixty acres, distant from his homestead about half a mile, which he will put into alfalfa. His interests in irrigation ditches has not been confined to the one just mentioned, for he is a stockholder in both the Lakeside ditch and the New Deal ditch.
In 1875, when Mr. Sigler first came to Tulare county to buy land, which was selling very cheaply at that time, he arrived in Visalia and from there he came across the country to Lemoore. Some few ditches had been started, but none completed. From the appearance of the soil he concluded that the land would wear out with a couple of crops after irrigation began, and cease to yield paying returns. However he determined to purchase property and the returns he has reaped since that date show that his prediction was not fulfilled. By farming to wheat many years the soil did show the ill effects, but with fruit and rotation of crops wonderful returns are possible.
In all things Mr. Sigler is conservative. He is especially so in his political views, and while he glories in the progressive principles of American democracy he has no desire to be classed with traveling Republicans. His interest in public education impelled him to accept the trusteeship of the Rustic school district, which he is discharging with characteristic efficiency and fidelity.
In 1887 Mr. Sigler married
Miss Lodema N. Dewey and she has borne him three daughters, Leah and
Catherine, who are members of their parents' household, and Arlie, who is
the wife of Marvin Roberts.
OSBORNE L WILSON
That venerable and honorable citizen of Kings county, Cal., O. L. Wilson, who is living in retirement at No. 602 East Ninth street, Hanford, was born in Washington county, Ind., August 29, 1825, and has lived in California since August 8, 1849. He grew to manhood on a farm on Blue river, went to school at Salem and was managing a farm there for his father at the time of the outbreak of the Mexican war. Enlisting in Company D, Second Indiana Volunteers, he was sent to Mexico in 1846 and served until the expiration of his term of enlistment. He returned to his home in Indiana, but again enlisted in Company B, Fifth Indiana Volunteers, under Captain Green, and was sent again to Mexico in 1847 and served gallantly until the end of the war. when he was honorably discharged. He took part in many important, engagements, including those at Buena Vista and .Del Rey under such commanders as Generals Taylor, Woolfe and Scott, the latter having been commander-in-chief. He has kept a copy of the Salem News, pub• lished at Salem, Ind., April 7, 1847, an extra edition devoted largely to the events of the Mexican war and containing bulletins of the very latest news from the camp of General Taylor. After the war he went to Scotland county, Mo., where he remained through the winter of 1848-49. On April 15, 1849, he started with an ox-team wagon train to California and arrived within the borders of this state August 8 following. For two years he mined at Ringgold and Weavertown, on the American river, at Yuba, at Rough and Ready, at Nevada City and in Nevada, meeting with fair success. His associations were not to his taste and in 1851 he bought land at Gilroy, Cal., part of the Los Alamos grant, and devoted himself to cattle raising with farming as a subsidiary business. There he remained until he sold his land to
Thomas Rey and drove his cattle and sheep over into that part of Tulare county which is now Kings county and squatted on part of the Laguna De Tache grant. Later he secured one thousand acres of land on his Mexican war land warrant, lying on the Kings river in sections 1, 12 and 13. After that he bought land from time to time until he owned six thousand acres in that vicinity and in Fresno county and for about thirty years he was engaged in sheep raising. Eventually he divided most of his land among his children and in 1900 retired from active life.
On December 3, 1854, Mr.
Wilson married Miss Rose Wilburn at Gilroy, and they had thirteen children,
six of whom are now living. Mr. Wilson has nineteen grandchildren and six
great-grandchildren. Those children who survive are: John A.; William C.;
Julia, widow of John Alcorn; Mrs. Rose Henry; Mrs. Fannie Hughes, and
Calhoun Wilson. During all his long and honorable career Mr. Wilson has
consistently demonstrated his public spirit and has been in the van of all
worthy movements for the public uplift. He has bought eight cemetery lots,
on which he has erected a replica of the Washington monument, which when he
has passed away will be his lasting memorial.
THOMAS CLINTON NEWMAN
A member of an old pioneer family of California and a native of Tulare county, Thomas Clinton Newman, who lives nine miles north of Exeter, on rural free delivery route No. 1, was born December 5, 1882, a son of Thomas W. Newman, who was born while his parents were en route across the plains, in 1856, from their old home in Ohio. William Newman, grandfather of Thomas Clinton, had come out to California in 1848 and gone back in 1849. He finally returned accompanied by his sons, R. S., C. 0. and Thomas' W. Newman, and the latter's wife, and the family settled on the Sacramento river, but were driven out by floods, and after living at different places in the state Thomas W. Newman at length located in Tulare county and in 1872 settled on the present homestead of his son.
Had William Newman arrived at his first location in California one day earlier than he did he would have been the pioneer of pioneers there. While crossing the plains half of his party had been killed in the Mountain Meadow massacre. Thomas C. Newman has several relics of the overland trip, among them part of the chain used by his grandfather on the cattle he drove and an old shotgun that his grandfather used while standing guard over the train.
After locating in Tulare county Thomas W. Newman set about clearing land and putting it under cultivation and soon developed a farm that compared favorably with any in his neighborhood and which he operated successfully until 1909, when he passed away, his wife having died when their son was about five years old.
December 20, 1905, T. C. Newman married Miss Eva May Sterrett, a native of California, and their two children are Iola, now six 'years old, and Bernice, who is four years old. In the house which is now his home there passed away his grandfather, his grandmother, his father and his uncle, R. S. Newman. The place now consists of eighty acres, and is devoted to the cultivation of alfalfa and potatoes and to the purposes of a dairy of about ten or twelve cows.
It was in the St. John's
district school that Mr. Newman was educated, and to him belongs the honor
of having been the first graduate of its grammar school. While not active
in political affairs, he is helpfully public spirited. Fraternally he
affiliates with the Masons.
Germany has given to the United States a class of citizens industrious, honest, thrifty and law abiding, who have done much to build up the interests of the communities with which individually they have cast their lots. One of the most progressive citizens of Corcoran, Kings county, Cal., is Fred Storzback, a native of Wurtemberg. Young Storzback attended public schools near the parental home until he was fourteen years old, when he immigrated to England and engaged in the butcher business. From there at the age of twenty he came to the United States in 1885, settling in Philadelphia, where he acquired a practical knowledge of the baker's trade. After working- as a baker in different parts of the United States he came to California in December, 1905, and January 15, 1906, he settled at Corcora.n; where he operated a combined bakery and restaurant for two years, then transformed his establishment into a combined bakery and ice cream parlor. His business, which from every point of view is successful, is one of the most popular in Corcoran, and the purity of his goods and his courtesy to all patrons commend him strongly to the general public.
In 1895 Mr. Storzback married
Elizabeth Schiep, who was born August 17, 1876, in the state of Louisiana,
and they have children as follo-ws : Pauline, Augusta and Bertha, who are
mentioned here in the order of their nativity. Mr. Storzback is a member of
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a Woodman of the World, loyally
devoted to the interests of these orders and ready at all times to meet any
demand upon him in behalf of their beneficent work. As a citizen he takes a
vital interest in everything that pertains to the growth and development of
the town and to the economic problems of its people. *So flattering has been
his success thus far that to his observant neighbors his future is full of
brilliant promise. In 1913 Mr. Storzback built a fine two-story brick
building, 50x112, which is equipped with the finest and most up-to-date
machinery and appliances for the bakery business and is a fitting
testimonial to his laudable enterprise.
The most extensive breeder of jacks in the territory round Hanford, and in fact .in the state, is John Burrell, who is operating seven and one-half miles southwest of that city. It was in Tulare (now Kings) county that Mr. Burrell was born January 5, 1880, a son of Monroe Burrell; who lived near Armona. The elder Burrell, who had grown to manhood in California, had come to this vicinity in 1876. He is now running a fruit ranch near Grangeville.
It was in the neighborhood of Grangeville that John Burrell was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools. When he made his start in life for himself it was in the oil fields at Coalinga, where he worked two years. Then, returning to Kings county, he rented the Haas ranch, near Grangeville five years, operating it successfully as a stock and alfalfa farm. Then he rented three hundred and twenty acres seven and one-half miles southwest of Hanford, twenty acres of which is in vineyard. He devotes himself chiefly to the raising of mules and hogs, his yearly average being forty mules and eight hundred Duroc hogs. Some time ago he bought seven valuable imported jacks for breeding purposes, which he has sold besides a number of others that he has. raised, in all about twenty head have been disposed of during the past three years. He has another importation of jacks from Kentucky and Missouri to arrive about January, 1913. Besides these he owns twenty head of Mammoth jenneys which he uses for raising jacks. Thoroughly up-tosclote in all his methods, having intimate knowledge of the work in - hand and using only the latest improved aids, he is successful in his special line beyond many of his neighbors and competitors. His knowledge of the market is such that he is usually able to sell to the very best advantage. He is a member of the Woodmen of the World, devoted to all the interests of that beneficent fraternity. As a citizen he is notably public spirited and helpful.
TOMAS JEFFERSON CLARKSON
In Scott county, Ill., Thomas Jefferson Clarkson:, who lives in Exeter, Tulare county, Cal., was born in 1860, and he was nine years old when his parents brought him to California. The family lived in Yolo county until 1871, then came to Tulare county. He attended the public schools more or less until he was twelve years old, and from his twelfth to his twenty-eighth year he rode after cattle on the plains. Then he turned his attention to blacksmithing, which has employed his energies ever since. For a time he worked from place to place, but during the last nine years he has operated a general blacksmithing and agricultural repair shop at Exeter.
As a Democrat Mr. Clarkson has long been prominent in the affairs of his town and county, and was appointed a member of the health board of the city of Exeter, in which office he is serving with ability, integrity and discretion at the present time. Fraternally he affiliates with the organizations of the Woodmen of the World and Knights of Pythias of Exeter. He is devoted heart and soul to the general interests of the county. Coming here when the land was wild and there were about as many Indian inhabitants as white ones, he has witnessed and participated in its development to one of the rich sections of one of the great states of the Union.
The woman who became the wife
of Mr. Clarkson was before her marriage Mrs. Mary Angeline Austin. She was
born in Kansas of a family who were among the pioneers there. Four children
have blessed their union: Annie, May, Presley and Hazel. Annie is Mrs. V. W.
Lucas of Exeter. May married Charles Maddox of Exeter. Presley is in the
CHARLES GREEN McFARLAND
An innovator among farmers and dairymen in Tulare county, Cal., Charles Green McFarland, who lives two miles west of Tulare, is undoubtedly deserving of special mention. He is a native of Green county, Mo., born February 27, 1872, who came to California in 1887. During the five year after his arrival he was employed by his father, and in 1892 bought the Exeter stable at Tulare, where he conducted a livery business for about a y-ear and a half. Subsequently he grew grain eight years, and in 1901 bought forty acres of land and rented three hundred acres, on all of which he set up as a stockman and dairyman and he operated with success five years. His location during that period was four miles south of Tulare. He now bought thirty-two acres two miles west of the Tulare post office and rented an adjoining thirty-two acres. He has on his own place twenty acres of alfalfa and twenty-five acres on his leased land, and milks thirty cows, disposing of their products over a milk route which he has established in Tulare. He has the only herd of registered Jersey cows in the vicinity, thirty-five head altogether, the largest milk producers thereabouts, the average test of their milk yielding 4.8 in butter fat. He has raised no cattle except thoroughbreds and it is only after years of selection and of careful attention to details that he has been able to produce a herd so excellent. In 1910 he built a silo on his place, in which respect he was a pioneer in his part of the county, and in 1912 he installed an electric pumping plant which furnishes ample water for all purposes.
On February 27, 1896, Mr.
McFarland married Matilda Monroe, who has borne him a daughter and two sons,
Lois, Merrill and Loren, who are aged respectively fourteen, ten and eight
years. The family are communicants of the Methodist Episcopal church of
Tulare, and Mr. McFarland is a member of the order of Fraternal Aid of that
city. He is a stockholder in the Dairymen's Co-operative Creamery Company of
Tulare, and also a stockholder in the Tulare Power Company.
ELMER A BATCHELDER
It was in Plainfield, Vt., that Elmer A. Batchelder, a prominent fruit grower, living two and one-half miles east of Lindsay, Tulare county, Cal., was born in the year 1866. He was brought up and educated in his native place, and when he was seventeen years old came to California and was for a year and a half a resident in Nevada county. Then for a year he was in the Sacramento valley, whence he went into Humboldt county, where he passed the succeeding twelve months. During this time he had been employed at ranch work and had acquired an intimate knowledge of California farming • in the best of all schools—the school of experience.
In 1887 Mr. Batchelder came
to Tulare county and for a time worked rented land. In 1892 he homesteaded a
quarter section in the district known as Round valley and made improvements
on if - and devoted it to wheat growing till 1906, when he set out twenty
acres of orange trees and fifteen acres of vines, including five acres of
Valencia oranges. His orchard is so well advanced that the crop for 1912
from the twenty acres promises to reach the 1,000-box mark. By later
purchase he has added to his land holdings until he now has one hundred and
The parents of Mr. Batchelder, natives of Vermont, both have passed away. In 1893 he married Catharine Crook, a native daughter of California, and she has borne him two children: Harold, now eighteen years old, and Eunice E., now in her fourteenth year. They are attending school at Lindsay. Mrs. Batchelder's parents were early settlers in Tulare county. Mr. Batchelder has never aspired to public office, but because he was known to be a good-roads man of advanced ideas he was three years ago given the oversight of the roads in his district, and so well has he discharged his trust that he is likely to be kept at the same task year after year. Public spirited in a generous degree, he is ever ready to respond to demands upon him for the good of the community. Fraternally he affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias.
ALBERT A HALL
There are probably few men known more widely or more affectionately in Tulare county than Albert A. ("Dad") Hall, of Tulare. A native of Watertown, N. Y., he was born July 6, 1846. While he was yet quite young, his family moved to Baraboo, Wis., where he was brought up and educated so far as he could be before he went away to the war between the •orth and the South. That was in 1863, --when he was but seventeen. He enlisted in Company F, Third Wisconsin Cavalry, which regiment was under command of Colonel Barstow, and saw arduous service, principally in guerilla warfare in Missouri and Arkansas, till he was mustered out at Leavenworth, Kans., June 27, 1865. Returning to Wisconsin, he was interested in hop raising there two years, then went to Nebraska and took up some government land. The grasshoppers were so numerous, however, that after five years filled with attempts to save from them enough for his absolute personal needs, to say nothing of improving a farm, he gladly turned his face toward California. He arrived in February, 1877, and bought a hundred and sixty acres of land near Forestville, Sonoma county, which he cleared of trees and planted to a vineyard which yielded him grapes for seven years. In 1888 he came to Tulare county and, settling on forty acres north of Tulare city, engaged in the dairy business and sold milk in Tulare fifteen years. Two years during that period he fed cattle in the mountains. In 1904 he established at Tulare City an express and transfer business, which, under the half jocular title of Dad's Transfer Company, has come to be one of the popular institutions of the town. In this well established enterprise his sou, Rozelle E. Hall, is his partner.
Naturally, Mr. Hall is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Thus he keeps alive memories of the days of the Civil war in which he was a faithful, if a very young, soldier. He is a Royal Arch Mason, a member also of Tulare Lodge No. 269, Free and Accepted Masons. With Forestville Lodge No. 320, Independent Order of Odd Fellows he affiliates also. He married Miss Adilla Plummer, a native of Wisconsin, in 1867, and they have children, Rozelle E., Carrie (wife of J. E. Robidoux, Eda (Mrs. F. A. Thomas, of Tulare), Beryl and Edna.
JOHN R REED
A native of England, John R. Reed, of Orosi, Tulare county, Cal., was born in Leicestershire, November 14, 1840, was brought to the United States when six months old, stopping at New York City and Philadelphia, and about 1848 arrived in what is now Evanston, Ill. He was the oldest of the six children of his parents and eventually became one of the bread winners of the family. In 1851, when the boy was about eleven years old, his father, responsive to the lure of gold, left for California, and made the journey by way of the Isthmus of Panama. After his arrival his family heard from him several times, then came rumors of Indian outbreaks in California, they heard from him no more and his fate has been a mystery which none of his children have been able to unravel.
In the course of events the family settled in Illinois, whence the mother took her children to Geauga county, Ohio, settling not far from Cleveland. During their residence there ex-President Garfield boarded with Mrs. Reed for a time while attending school. The support of the family devolved upon her and John R. - The latter early found work at $3 a month and his board. He kept busy, his fortunes improving until in 1861 he was receiving $13 and his board. Then he enlisted April 24, 1861, in Company F, Nineteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served for a time in West Virginia. Returning home he veteraned by enlisting in Company C, First Ohio Light Artillery with which he served until in 1863. He had now earned $400 in bounty and he married and gave his mother $300, his newly wedded wife $75,--tlign re-enlisted in his old company to serve during the period of the war. He was duly discharged and mustered out at Cleveland in June, 1865. He participated in many notable engagements, including Rich Mountain and Chickamauga, and was under Sherman on the march from Atlanta to the sea. His last engagement was at Bentonville, N. C., where his brother was killed. At the close of his service he returned home. His first wife, who was Miss Adelaide Gillmore, bore him two children. George V., cashier of the First National Bank of Lindsay, married Jennie Mitchell and they have two children, Jay and Earl. Daniel L. married Lelah Bauder and they have two children, Roscoe and Lola, and are living near Reedley. Mr. Reed's second wife, Mary Ann Post, whom he married in Ohio and who was a native of that state, bore him four children: Bernice (deceased), Eliza Mabel, Rayson J. and Sarah A. Rayson J. married Edith Bacon and they have a son, John Allen Bacon Reed and live at Lindsay. All of Mr. Reed's children were born in Ohio and all have been given as good education as is afforded in common schools. The family removed to California, in 1886 and located in Fresno county, where Mr. Reed engaged in wheat farming. Later he took charge of four sections, increasing his acreage to fifteen thousand acres, and broadened operations by raising wheat and barley. He was thus engaged for sixteen years in the vicinity of Reedley. He came to Orosi in 1902, bought seventy acres, party improved with vines. At this time he has eighteen acres in vines, ten in peaches, forty in alfalfa, and also engages in dairying and the stock business.
The educational advantages of
Mr. Reed were limited, but by reading and otherwise he has become a well
informed man. In his political affiliation he is a Democrat and his
influence in local affairs has been considerable. He was the organizer and
the first master of the Masonic Lodge at Orosi and is a member of the
ROBERT A PUTNAM
John and Polly Ann (Shields) Putnam, natives respectively of Illinois and of Indiana, were visiting at Mount Sterling, Ind., when their son Robert A. Putnam was born, April 24, 1856. Burland Shields, grandfather of Robert A. Putnam in the maternal line, came overland to California in 1849 and settled in Shasta county. His party was several times menaced by Indians, but no member of it was killed and all arrived safely. For a time Mr. Shields mined, but later he became a stockman and was successful in that way until his death. No other member of the family came to the Pacific coast until 1901, when Robert A. Putnam located in Tulare county. He married in 1877, Sarah A. Shackleford, who was born in Mississippi in 1856, of parents who were natives of North Carolina. She was reared and educated in Illinois and one of her brothers served as a soldier in the Civil war. She has borne her husband seven children: John F., George William, Laura. E., Pina M., Myra N., Mabel G. and Sadie B. John F. of Orosi married Blanche Miller and has two children. George William married Katie McKersie and has two children. Laura E. married Duane Straw. Pina M. has graduated from the Orosi high school and the others have been educated in the public school.
When Mr. Putnam came to his
farm nine acres of it was devoted to peaches and five acres and a half to
Muscat grapes. In 1910 he sold seven and a half tons of dried peaches, a
goodly quantity of green peaches and eleven tons of raisins. A portion of
his ranch is devoted to pasture and he has some stock, but he keeps only
enough horses for his own use. He is as progressive a citizen as he is a
farmer and in a public-spirited way aids every movement for the good of the
community. He and Mrs. Putnam are Democrats.
ALEXANDER M BEST
In the state of Iowa Alexander M. Best, of Tulare county, Cal., was born April 23, 1867. He passed his boyhood and youth on a farm there and was educated in a public school near by. In April, 1888, when he was about twenty-one years old, he arrived in California and located on a ranch in Poway valley, twenty miles northeast of San Diego, where his father took up government land. For seven years he lived and farmed in San Diego county, then located in Orange county and lived at Santa Ana, and he also bought land at Newport. He farmed in that vicinity five years, on the San Joaquin three years, and at La Habra one year, and in October, 1901, came to Tulare county and bought the Jones ranch of one hundred and twenty acres, twelve miles east and two miles south of Tulare. After raising grain there four years, he sold the property and bought eighty acres a mile and a half west of town, a homestead of forty acres with forty acres adjoining it at one corner, on which he put all improvements, including house, outbuildings, fences and roads. Until February, 1911, he conducted a dairy, but he then sold his cows, retaining his stock and horses, for the excellence of which his place is well known. He also gives attention to hogs and poultry. Thirty-five acres of his land is in alfalfa.
December 3, 1894, Mr. Best
married Susan Columbia BardsLey. of Poway valley, Cal., and they have a son
named Edwin Bardsley Best. Fraternally Mr. Best is identified with the
Woodmen of the World lodge of Tulare. Politically he has well defined ideas
about all public questions and does his full duty as a citizen, but he has
no liking for professional politics and has never sought any elective or
appointive office. He has at heart the welfare of the community and is
generous in his encouragement of movements for the general good.
J L TAYLOR
The prosperous farmer and fruit grower of Three Rivers, Tulare county, Cal., whose career it is intended here briefly to refer to, is a native of Fallbrook, Tenn., born in 1846. In 1866, when he was twenty years old, he came to California and settled near Three Rivers and Lemon Cove and, having faith in the future of the state, he resolved to grow up with it, deserving his share in its prosperity.
It was at ranch work for others that J. L. Taylor was employed until 1893. He became known as a hard and steady worker and as a man who saved his money, and in the year mentioned he was able to buy one hundred and sixty-five acres of land, on which he has been successful with fruit and grain. It was in the year 1893, the year in which he started for himself, that he married Miss Louise Elizabeth Myrten, a.native daughter of California, who in 1904 bore him a son, Edward, who is engaged with his father in conducting the ranch and developing the fruit and nursery business. Mr. Taylor has always been too busy to take much practical part in political work, but as a citizen he has performed his duties with the ballot, voting always for such men and measures as in his opinion promised most and best for the general good. He has never petitioned for nor accepted public office. Fraternally he affiliates with the Lemon Cove organization of Woodmen of the World. His father is living, retired from the activities that once made him a factor in the uplift and advancement of the community.
LUCIUS HERVEY TURNER
The well known native of Tulare county whose name is above was born December 6, 1866, a son of Peter Q. and Emily S. (Keener) Turner. His father was born in Hampton county, Va., February 15, 1828, his mother in Missouri, December 9, 1843. The former lived in his native state until 1850, when he was about twenty-two years old. He then went to Alabama and Mississippi, where he had more or less intercourse with Indians, and lived for a time in New Orleans, where he passed safely through a historic epidemic of cholera. At one time, believing he had been attacked by the disease, he found relief by drinking burned whiskey. It was during this early period of his life that he had his first experience with a stove. He took up his residence in Texas, where he married Miss McGlassen, of Texan birth, who died three months later.
In 1858 he came from Texas to California, making the journey overland with oxen, a member of a party of which his future father‑in-law, John D. Keener, was captain. At one time, while traveling a new route, they were without water for seventy-two hours. Mr. Turner's tongue became so swollen that he could not talk, all his companions suffered and one of them became temporarily insane. They came to Los Angeles in 1858, where they remained some time, selling their cattle. From Los Angeles they went to Visalia, where in July, 1861, Mr. Turner married Miss Emily S. Keener, who bore him fifteen children: Nancy A., Peter Q., John H., Lucius H., Anna B., Edna M., Laura I., Charles A., Ida C., Frank E., Marcus A., Elizabeth, Lottie, Ada C., and another who died in infancy. Nancy A. married J. A. Drake. John H. married Mary E. Dunham. Lucius H. married Grace Lenell, who 'has borne him three children. Anna B. married C. H. Foster and bore him four children, she died May 30, 1889. Ida C. is the wife of J. E. Foster and they have seven children living. Frank E. married Idena Jones and they are the parents of four children. Marcus A. married Elsie Brothers and they have three children. Elizabeth F. married H. B. Mitchell and has five children. Charles A. married Mary Mades. Lottie married George Fickle and has one child. Ada C. married J. G. Jones and they are the parents of two children. Peter Q., Edna M. and Laura I. have passed away. The father died at Dunlap June 6, 1883; the mother makes her home with her children.
It was as a farmer and
carpenter that Mr. Turner was instructed in the practical work by means of
which he was destined to earn his living. His first purchase of land was of
twenty acres: He later bought ten acres on which he now lives. Six acres of
his land is devoted to fruit and berries, the remainder to pasturage.
Fraternally he affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America, of which he is
a charter member. His political affiliations are Socialistic. Mrs. Turner is
a communicant of the Church of God.
ERASTUS F WARNER
Well and favorably known in Tulare county, where he has been a resident since 1858, Erastiis F. Warner is prominently mentioned among the representative citizens of this section. He was born in Cambridge, Washington county, N. Y., October 24, 1842, the son of Captain Gerrit W. and Julia A. (Fenton) Warner, both natives of that state also. The news of the finding of gold in California brought Captain Warner to the state in 1849, the voyage being made via the Horn in the vessel Morrison. He was successful beyond his expectations in his mining experience on the middle fork of the American river, and with the means which he accumulated by his efforts he returned east for his family in 1851. It was not until two years later, however, that he was able to settle his affairs in the east and make his second and last trip to California. The year 1853 found the family coming to the west by way of Nicaragua. Settlement was made in San Jose, and that was the home of the family until the fall of 1855, when the father became interested in mining at Hornitas, Mariposa. county, and subsequently he became the proprietor of a hotel at Mariposa. January of 1858 found the family in Visalia, where the father continued to follow the hotel business, being proprietor of the Exchange, the Eagle and the Esmeralda Hotels. Going to Porterville in 1863 he opened a hostelry and also conducted a stage depot, a business which he followed profitably until death ended his labors on June 1, 1865. His wife is also deceased, having passed away August 30, 1898.
The parental family comprised three children, Mrs. Sarah M. Cousins and Frederick A., both deceased, and Erastus F., of this review. At the time the family removed from the east to California in 1853 the latter was a young lad and the experiences of the voyage made a lasting impression on his plastic mind. They left New York March 5 of that year and all went well until April 9, when their ship, the propeller steamship Lewis, was wrecked off Bodega bay. Total destruction threatened them, and although the ship was driven ashore and considerable damage done, no lives were lost. The passengers were finally taken aboard the Goliah and the steamer Active that were sent to their rescue from San Francisco, and thus they reached their destination in safety.
Throughout Tulare county Mr. -Warner is well known as an expert well borer, having followed this business for the past thirty-eight years. Considerable work of this character has been done for the Southern Pacific Railroad, ranging all the way from El Paso, Texas, to Salt Lake City, and he also made the borings for setting the railroad bridges all over the line. Mr. Warner's services are still in constant demand, and that his work is entirely satisfactory is evidenced in the fact that his reputation is county wide, and visible evidences of his work are as broadly scattered. In the early days he was a member of the volunteer fire department of Visalia, and he is still connected with the department as foreman of old Eureka Engine Company No. 1. He is an honorary member of the Volunteer Veteran Firemen of San Francisco, and fraternally is a member of Four Creek Lodge No. 94, I. O. O. F., having joined the order in 1866, and is also identified with Damascus Encampment No. 44, and Canton No. 24. His political sympathies are with the Republican party.
The first marriage of Mr.
Warner occurred December 24, 1868, uniting him with Maud A. Baker, a native
of Pennsylvania. She died in 1893, leaving one daughter, Mrs. Evelyn
English. Mr. Warner's second marriage, May 21, 1903, united him with Mrs.
Kitty (Schreiber) Horsnyder, a native of Kentucky.
Among the native sons of Tulare county who are winning success as farmers is Earl Mathewson, who lives on the Exeter road, near Visalia. Arthur W. Mathewson, his father, married Miss Lucinda Tinkham in 1866, who was born in Iowa, daughter of Nathaniel Tinkham, a native of Vermont, and bore her husband eight children, of whom five are living: Mrs. Pearl Ogden, Levi, Mrs. Edith M. Mosier, Earl and James A. A biographical sketch of the father has a place in these pages. Earl Mathewson was born near Farmersville, August 28, 1876, and was educated in the public schools near his boyhood home. For a time he helped his father on the ranch, then made some money running cattle through the mountainous portion of Tulare county.
In 1900 Mr. Mathewson rented of his mother a ranch of one hundred and fifty-one acres which he has since operated with much success. He has twenty acres of three-year-old French prunes, ten acres of Egyptian corn yielding a ton to an acre, and twelve acres under alfalfa. He makes a specialty of the breeding of cattle, horses and hogs and has produced some stock that is as fine as is to be seen in his vicinity.
Fraternally Mr. Mathewson
affiliates with the Woodmen of the World. In 1909 he married Miss Marie
Holtoof, a native of Trinity county, Cal., and they have a son named Orley.
As a citizen Mr. Mathewson is public-spiritedly helpful to all worthy local
WILLIAM F BERNSTEIN
As a baker and also as a stock-raiser William F. Bernstein has achieved a high standing in Kings county, Cal., and his bakery at Hanford and his stock farm near that town are among the best, each in its class, of their respective kinds in Central California. Mr. Bernstein was born in Ohio, near the old town of Lebanon, Warren county, in April, 1873, and there was reared to manhood and educated in common schools and at a normal school, and began teaching some years before he attained his majority. He was twenty-three when he came to Hanford and found employmenf in the bakery establishment of Fred Bader. Three years later he bought a one-half interest in the business and at the expiration of another three years he became its sole proprietor. Since then he has been its able manager and has developed it commensurately with the growth of the town. He handles a general line of first- class bakery goods and his ice-cream and candies have won a reputation which keeps them in constant demand. His business occupies a two-story and basement building which takes up a ground space of 25 x 150 feet and employs in its various departments twenty-one skilled workers.
Adjoining the city on the southeast is a ranch of six acres which is the property of Mr. Bernstein, and he owns forty acres located a mile west of the city on which he breeds thoroughbred registered Poland-China hogs, as well as saddle horses which are in high favor with discriminating users of animals bred and trained for such service. He has exhibited his thoroughbred hogs at various local fairs. His entire ranch is devoted to alfalfa and to the feeding and development of the stock mentioned.
In the promotion and
organization of the Kings County Chamber of Commerce Mr. Bernstein was
influential, and he was elected its first president and re-elected to that
office in December, 1911. In a fraternal way he affiliates with the Masons,
being a Templar and a Shriner, and also with the Hanford Camp, Woodmen of
the World. As a citizen he is helpful to all worthy local interests, ready
at all times to do his full share in the encouragement of the development of
the town. He was married, May 28, 1902, to Mary Pearl Trewhitt, who was
born in Tennessee, but had been brought to Hanford by her parents. Her
mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Trewhitt, is a resident of that city.
JOHN T MORGAN
Synonymous with the name of Mr. Morgan is the name of the Morgan's Market, of which he is the owner and proprietor, a thriving enterprise in Visalia, which is known for the high character of the goods handled and for the excellent service rendered. From seven to ten employes are required in the conduct of the business, and two delivery wagons enable the owner to make prompt delivery. All of the meats carried in the market are killed and prepared under the direct supervision of Mr. Morgan, whose slaughter house is located on the outskirts of town.
A native son of California, John T. Morgan was born in San Bernardino in July, 1863, the son of Thomas and Eliza (Mee) Morgan, the former a native of Illinois and the latter of England. The Morgan family became established in California in 1859, when Thomas Morgan came hither from the middle west and settled in San Bernardino county. He was a man of versatility and ability, and in addition to carrying large personal interests he rendered invaluable service to the young and growing community in which he settled. He was elected and served acceptably as the first sheriff of San Bernardino county. He died in 1863. His wife was also a pioneer to the west, having crossed the plains from 'Utah at the time of the Mountain Meadow massacre. Reared and educated in. his native county, at the age of fourteen years John T. Morgan went to Pinal county, Ariz., where he entered the. employ of the Silver King Mining Company and also for several years worked in a butcher shop. This latter experience, combined with the knowledge of the business that he had acquired in his native county, led him to undertake a business of his own, and going to Riverside he opened and managed a meat market for Barker Brothers for four years. Subsequently he purchased the business and conducted it alone for four years. He then sold out and went to San Jacinto, where he opened and conducted a market until coming to Visalia in 1902. In that year he bought out the nucleus of the business which he owns today, then a small, unpretentious store, which in the meantime has expanded in business and reputation until it is now conceded to be one of the best appointed butchering establishments in the state, doing a wholesale and retail business.
In April, 1911, Mr. Morgan
was honored by his fellow-citizens by election to the office of city trustee
of Visalia, from the sixth ward. He is a property owner and an influential
member of a number of fraternal orders, being a member of Four Creek Lodge
No. 94, I. 0. 0. F., Fraternal Brotherhood, Woodmen of the World, Foresters
of America, and the Native Sons of the Golden West. He was married in 1891
to Miss Lillian R. Cleveland, who was born in Iowa, and they have three
children, Everett C., Howard G., and J. Thomas. Visalia has no more
public-spirited citizen than Mr. Morgan, who is ever on the alert to promote
the development of the city, as is indicated by his liberal assistance
toward every worthy public movement.
ALPHELTS C WILLIAMS
The present supervisor of the Third District of Tulare county, Cal., A. C. Williams, who lives at No. 420 N. Church street, Visalia, was born in Dent county, Mo., November 24, 1868, and after leaving school became connected with the train department of the St. Louis and San Francisco railroad.
It was in 1891 that Mr. Williams came to California. Locating at Tulare city, he worked on different ranches near there for three years, then moved to six hundred and forty acres of land east of Visalia, where he engaged in grain farming, in which he was successful for some years. In 1903 he established the Visalia Feed, Pael & Storage Co., an enterprise which under his management became one of the most important of its kind in Central California. For a considerable period he has been prominently identified with local political affairs and in 1908 he was elected supervisor to represent the Third District of Tulare county, and it is worthy of note that he was the first. Republican elected to that office by that constituency. How well he has served in that important capacity his fellow citizens well know and his record for efficiency and integrity is a most enviable one. Fraternally he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
In 1893 Mr. Williams married
Miss Mary Ellen Goad, daughter of John C. and C. Odele (DeBolt) Goad, the
former of whom was born in Madisonville, Hopkins county, Ky. Two children
were born to Mr. and Mrs. Williams, Ellen M. and Alpheus C., Jr. Mrs.
Williams' father came across the plains to California in the early '60s, and
lived in Nevada county until 1873, when he came to Tulare county and located
on a ranch eight miles northeast of Visalia. He was one of the most
prominent ranchers in the neighborhood of old Venus until his death, which
occurred September 25, 1905. When he was twenty-one he joined the Masonic
order -and was popular in those circles. His wife, whom he married in Grass
Valley, Nevada county, was a native of Ohio and passed away April 25, 1906.
They were the parents of the following children: Pearl, Anna G. and Frank
A., all deceased; J. E. Goad, of San Diego, the only living son; and Mary
Ellen, who is now Mrs. Williams.
Among the early pioneers of Tulare county who have become successful ranchmen is Ira Blossom, who was born in 1832 in the state of New York. He grew to manhood and was educated in the Empire State and in 1852, when he was twenty years old, sought- his fortune in California. For a time he stayed in San Francisco, and from there he went to Stockton and soon went into the mines, where he worked a year. After that he lived six years in the San Joaquin valley. In 1860 he moved to Tulare county and during the ensuing six years assisted in the operation of a flour mill near Visalia. Next we find him located on South Fork river, in a section of Tulare county in which he has since Made his home. His first land purchase was a tract of eight hundred acres on which he lived for a time, but which eventually he sold in order to buy land near Three Rivers, where he has lived during the past decade.
In 1860 Mr. Blossom married Mrs. Julia Clough, and they have four children, three of whom are living. One of their daughters lives in San Francisco, the other in Mt. View, Cal., and their son is with his parents on their family homestead. The latter is filling the office of deputy park ranger, the duties of which he is performing with much ability and credit.
The present land holdings of
Mr. Blossom aggregate one hundred and thirty-five acres, part of it in
fruit and most of the remainder in grain. He has given part of his time to
stock-raising, in which he has achieved considerable success, and is
regarded as one of the old reliable farmers of his district, being honored
by the people of Tulare county as one of their few remaining pioneers. His
personal characteristics are of the kind that make men popular with their
fellows and many a man who has had the benefit of his acquaintance has found
in him a valued friend. He never held office or identified himself with any
order, but is public-spirited in support of all worthy interests of the
J A CRAWSHAW, M.D.
While giving attention to general practice Dr. J. A. Crawshaw specializes along lines safely and sanely within the limits of the field of the family physician. His residence and office are in the Bissell Building, Hanford, Kings county, Cal. Born August 10, 1879, at Carbondale, Ill., he was there educated in the public schools and in the state normal school in the usual courses of such institutions. When advanced sufficiently in his professional studies, he matriculated in the medical department of the University of Illinois at Chicago in 1901, and after passing the prescribed examinations was duly graduated therefrom with the degree of M.D., June 5, 1905. After eighteen months devoted to the practice of his profession- at Murphysboro, Ill., he came in 1907 to Hanford, where he has since prospered increasingly as a general practitioner of medicine and surgery, specializing in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat.
Dr. Crawshaw is a director of the Hanford Sanitorium, which he helped to organize and which is now in the course of constriction. It is a modern structure, costing $30,000, and is to be completed February 1, 1913. The Doctor holds membership in the Fresno Medical Society, the San Joaquin Medical Society and the California State Medical Society. He is identified with the Kings County Auto Association, is a Blue Lodge, Royal Arch and Eastern Star Mason, a Forester of America and a member of the Independent Order of Foresters and its ladies' auxiliary order, a Modern Woodman, a member of the order of Fraternal Aid and of the Portuguese orders of U. P. E. C. and of I. D. E. S. In all of these societies he takes a helpful interest, greeting their members in fraternal brotherhood and advancing their many good works in every way possible.
Beside his professional work
Dr. Crawshaw has found some time to devote to other interests, notably to
ranching He owns a farm of one hundred acres, eight miles north of Hanford,
all under irrigation and devoted to stock-raising. At this time he is
arranging to give special attention to the breeding of mules.
In 1904 Dr. Crawshaw married Miss Bessie Hagler, who was then a resident of Illinois. They have an interesting little daughter named Alleen.
The Doctor, although an
adopted son of California and a comparatively late arrival to the city of
Hanford, yet enters heartily into the political and social life of Kings
county. He took part in the program of the "Kings County Karnival" in May,
1911, and rendered an original poem on the birth of Kings county, from which
we quote the following:
" 'Twas in the spring of
ninety-three, In the county then of Tu-lar-e,
With division talk on every tongue, That the battle of politics was sprung. Fast the missiles flew each way,
Until the twenty-third of May,
When Captain Blakely with his dart Plunged the weapon in their heart.
"With the sun still shining in the skies,
And the tears undried in the mother's eyes,
Out from the wounded, bleeding heart, The "Baby County" made a start,
To spread afar its honored fame And win itself a Christian name,
Whose echo o'er the plain would ring, In honor of our Baby King "
CHARLES E JOYNER
In the country round about Exeter, Tulare county, Cal., there are few citizens who are more highly regarded than is Charles E. Joyner, a native of Tennessee, born in 1859, who came to California in 1872, when he was thirteen years old. It should be noted that he came here simply as a visitor, expecting soon to return to his old home and that except for brief absences he has remained here ever since. He grew to manhood on the J. H. Johnson ranch and finished his education in the public schools in that neighborhood. He was an orphan, his mother having died when he was an infant, his father when he was but a small boy, but he found friendship and encouragement under the sunny California skies and set his face bravely toward the future. He may be said to have made his way in the world since he was a mere boy. In 1884 he married Catherine Mabrey, a native of Arkansas, who has borne him seven children, all of whom are being educated in the public schools near their home.
Fruit has engaged Mr.
Joyner's attention and he has thirty- five acres in three-year-old navel
oranges. Formerly he raised grain. His land cost him about $2.50 an acre and
at a fair market valuation it is worth today $700 an acre. He has prospered,
and in so doing has generously conceded the right of the community at large
to do as well. While he is very public-spirited, he cares little for
practical politics and has steadfastly refused office.
Tulare and Kings Counties, California with Biographical Sketches
History By Eugene L Menefee and Fred A Dodge
Los Angeles, Calif., Historic Record Company, 1913
Transcribed by: Martha A Crosley Graham - Pages - 597 - 631
Site Created: 13 January 2009
Martha A Crosley Graham
Rights Reserved - 2018
This Web page is sponsored by Supporters on behalf of the California portion of The USGenWeb Project by The Administrative Team of the CAGW. Although believed to be correct as presented, if you note any corrections, changes, additions, or find that any links provided on this page are not functioning properly please contact the Archive Coordinator for prompt attention to the matter.