Tulare & Kings Counties
Note: Use CTRL-F to Search
DAVID ANTHONY VAUGHN
Few men in the vicinity of Porterville are in higher repute than David Anthony Vaughn, a brief account of whose career to this time is here given. He was born at East Greenwich, Kent County, R. I., October 7, 1846, a son of Caleb and Lydia (Hathaway) Vaughn, natives of the same town. Caleb Vaughn, who was born in 1816, and now ninety-seven years old, is still living there; his wife died in 1881. They had two sons and four daughters: David A., William, Pheby, Susan, Lydia and Addie. Pheby, Addie and William are living at East Greenwich.
In May, 1868, Mr. Vaughn started for California by way of Nnama, and arrived at San Francisco June 13, following. That same year in San Joaquin County, he leased a five hundred and ten acre ranch and for three years engaged in stock-raising and wheat growing. In 1871 he moved to Porterville, Tulare County, where for twenty years he gave his attention almost exclusively to sheep raising.. During that period he purchased about six thousand acres of land from individuals and from the Southern Pacific Railroad Company. He has sold three hundred and twenty acres of orange land, which is now being improved, and now owns fifty-three hundred and sixty acres, sixteen hundred acres of which is number one orange land. For the last thirty years he has grown wheat and raised cattle. In 1904, upon the organization of the First National Bank of Porterville, he was one of its original stockholders and he has since owned a considerable interest in the institution. In 1907 he moved his family from his ranch to the city of Porterville, where he had bought a family residence at the intersection of Morton and D streets. He was elected mayor of Porterville in 1910 for a two-year term, after which he refused to again become a candidate. During his term of office he made a record as an able, honest and up-to-date executive. During all the years of his manhood he has been a Republican and he is still proud to support the policies of that party.
In 1880, at East Greenwich, R. I., Mr. Vaughn married Amanda M. Shippee, a daughter of Manser and Harriet Shippee, natives of that town. Mrs. Vaughn was educated in the public schools of East Greenwich, and came to California immediately after her marriage. L. U. Shippee, her uncle, had come to Stockton in 1853. Mrs. Vaughn's parents are both dead. She has two brothers and two sisters living in East Greenwich, R. I. Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn have two daughters. Minnie and Bessie. Minnie married J. S. McGahey, of Porterville. in 1903, and they have a son named Earl.
ROBERT M SHOEMAKER
New Jersey has been the mother state of many men who have achieved success in the West and on the Pacific coast. One such who has attained to high rank among the farmers of Tulare County is Robert M. Shoemaker, who is located four miles south of Lindsay. His parents were natives of New Jersey, descendants of old families in the East. Born in 1847, Mr. Shoemaker remained in his native state until 1905. There he was educated, farmed successfully and took a leading part in local political affairs, filling the offices of township committeeman and supervisor for many years, until he came to California. There too, he married, in 1875, Miss Sue Llewellyn, a native of that state, who bore him four children, three of whom are living. Two are married and settled for life in New Jersey, the other, E. 0. Shoemaker, is a member of his parents' household.
On coming to California, Mr. Shoemaker bought
forty acres of raw land without any improvements. He has improved the place
in many ways, adding to. its productiveness and to its attractiveness as
well. When Mr. Shoemaker came here in 1906 there was nothing to be seen but
wild oats and hog wallows, and not a neighbor within a mile, except Mrs.
Allen Hunsicker, from whom he bought. He has now a beautiful cottage 40x24,
a barn, 30x40, pumping plant, pipe lines for irrigation purposes.
His land is now planted as follows : Thirteen acres in Valencia oranges; eight acres in navel oranges; five acres in pomelos; three acres in pomegranates; one acre in building spot, alfalfa, garden, etc. Mr. Shoemaker has sold off ten acres. He has, from the beginning of his residence here, taken a deep interest in the affairs of the County and state and was one of the promoters and organizers of the Chamber of Commerce of Strathmore, Cal. Politically he has always been allied with the Democracy, believing that through the policies of the Democratic party greater good can be brought to greater numbers of the people than in any other way. Fraternally he affiliates with the Knights of the Golden Eagle, being a member of the Pitman Grove, N. J., organization of that order, and is a charter member of the Junior Order of American Mechanics at Pitman Grove, New Jersey.
There are not in the vicinity of Tulare two men better or more favorably known than the brothers F. C. and A. R. Schimmel, who live eight miles west of the city on the Paige Switch road. F. C. Schimmel is a native of Yamhill County, Ore., while A. R. Schimmel was born in Portland in the same state. Their parents farmed for a time near Portland, then engaged in milling and the lumber business in southern Oregon until 1901, when they disposed of their interests there and came to Kings County and farmed four years with \V. H. Wilbur, of Alpaugh. In 1905 the brothers bought a tract of nine hundred and sixty acres of land six miles west and two miles south of Tulare, on which they have made all the improvements, including a residence, barns, ordinary fencing and hog-tight fence and two artesian wells. Their irrigation is largely supplied from the Packwood ditch, in which they own four hundred and fifty-two shares. Four hundred acres of their land is in alfalfa and one hundred is under. irrigation. The feature of their business is the breeding of mules, for which they keep two jacks and one hundred mares for breeding purposes only, and they give special attention to the raising of hogs. Besides the operation of the property just described they farm six thousand acres near Angiola, devoting the entire tract to grain. They use a Holt machine and mules and also a harvester; at times they have harvested for others near by, but they have decided. to confine their work of this kind to their own lands in the future. They employ ten men in season and keep about forty head of work stock. In October, 1906, F. C. Schimmel married Fannie Garrison of Oregon. Both of the Schimmel brothers are members of Tulare lodge No. 1484, F. 0. E., and F. C. Schimmel affiliates with the Tulare organization of the Woodmen of the World. They are popular socially and are welcomed in business circles as men of enterprise and of tried and dependable public spirit.
W J SMITH
In Montgomery County, Mo., W. J. Smith was born July 31, 1844, the son of M. H. and Rebecca (Eperson) Smith, natives respectively of Virginia and of Kentucky. His father passed away nearly thirty years ago and his mother, who married very young, died when she was but thirty-three years old. W. J. Smith was early taken to Audrain County, Mo., where he lived until he was eighteen year- old, obtaining an education in common schools and accustoming himself to productive labor. At the age above mentioned he came overland to California with a wagon train of emigrants under the leadership of Captain Allen, taking his turn at standing guard whenever the party camped. His father and mother were of the party. The family halted at Marysville, then located at Knights Landing, where they lived from 1863 to 1872. In Modoc County Mr. Smith filed on public land on which he lived about fourteen V years, and early in his residence there he and his wife were called upon to brave the terrors of the historic Modoc war. From Modoc County he came to Tulare County and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land near Red Banks. He is now the owner of forty acres, five acres of thi:, being under orange trees, the balance devoted to peaches, apricots. miscellaneous fruits and grapes. His ranch is well supplied with buildings and all essentials to successful cultivation and he keeps six to eight horses. As a citizen he is influentially helpful, and in politics he is independent. He became a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows while a resident of Modoc County, and it was there too that he married. The lady who became his wife was Miss Florence Warren, a native of Oregon, and she has borne him ten children, Emma, James, Frank, Viola, Steward, Wilbert, Earl, Essie, Charles and Delma. Steward and Essie have passed away; James married Bertha Swan, and they and their son make their home at Red Banks; Emma became the wife of Elmer Brotherton- of Visalia and has borne him six children; Frank, of Wood Lake Valley, married Lena. Ganes; Viola married August Woodward of Tulare.
Men of English birth who have won success in California are numerous, and among them one whose career is properly within the scope of this work is George Wood, farmer and president of the Tulare Eucalyptus Company. Mr. Wood was born on the British isle, November 2, 1861. In 1884, when he was twenty-three years old, he came to Saskatchewan, Canada, and homesteaded land, which he improved until 1888. Then he disposed of his interests there and during the succeeding seven years farmed and raised stock in Ward County, N. Dak. Subsequently until 1909 he lived in McKenzie County, N. Dak., where he took up one hundred and sixty acres of land and started in to raise sheep and cattle. In 1906, however, he sold off his stock, and after that he devoted himself to farming until he settled in California. In 1907 he visited Tulare County, Cal., and with a partner bought one hundred and thirty-two acres of land, of which he eventually retained sixty-nine acres. Since he located here he has made improvements on the property and has put forty acres under alfalfa and intends to handle the balance of the tract in the same way. His principal: business is in growing hay, and he keeps little stock beyond what is` necessary to operate his farm.
In 1889 Mr. Wood married Miss:Caroline E. Jones, an English woman, and they have four children, Arthur, Maggie, Frank and George. Maggie is the wife of Roy Johnson, of North Dakota.
Mr. Wood knows farming as managed in his vicinity and his farm is sufficient evidence of that fact. He has achieved his success in life by wise planning and hard work. His interest in the community with which he has cast his lot impels him to a course which marks him as a citizen of much public spirit.
CHARLES F BLASWICK
A Californian born and bred, Charles F. Blaswick was born October 4, 1857, in Plumas County, and he was taken by his parents to Colusa, then to Yuba County. From Yuba County he came to Tulare in 1886, and for the succeeding fourteen years he was employed continuously on the ranch of Joseph LaMarche. During that time lie lived on the place, worked steadily and saved his money, and in 1900 he bought one hundred and twenty acres on which was a small house and barn, and soon thereafter had built an addition to the residence, fenced the land and put in a dairy of thirty or forty cows and was breeding horses and hogs and making a specialty of poultry. In these lines he has continued till the present time. Much of his land is used for pasture. At the present time he is putting in eighty acres of alfalfa, and has installed electric lighting for his house and premises. He obtains water for domestic purposes by means of an artesian well with a six-inch pipe and for irrigation from two large wells, one a fifty-eight-footer, the other an eighty-footer, the pumps in which are operated by one gasoline motor, one hundred inches of water being produced. Mr. Blaswick also raises stock on a small scale. His 'sons, William and Frederick, rent three hundred and twenty acres of the Gibson ranch, operate a dairy on the property and have one hundred and twenty acres in alfalfa and two hundred in grain. They rent also one hundred and sixty acres of the Birch Williams ranch, all of which is devoted to grain raising.
The Dairymen's Co-operative Creamery Company of Tulare numbers Mr. Blaswick among its stockholders. He affiliates with the Tulare lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is a regular and social member of the Tulare organization of the Woodmen of the World. His sons are identified with the Woodmen of the World and the Fraternal Brotherhood, his daughter Wilhelmina with the last mentioned order and Mrs. Blaswick with the order of Fraternal Aid.
Mr. Blaswick married, November
27, 1884, Miss Anna Mahle, native of Yuba County, Cal., and they have four
daughters and two sons. William and Frederick are ranchers, and the latter
married Winifred Kessell. Wilhelmina married Elmer Berkerhoff and resides
in Tulare County. Mary Ann, Allie and Leona are members of their parents'
ROBERT 0 NEWMAN
In North Carolina was born Jacob Newman, son of a patriot of the war of 1812. He settled at Booneville, Mo., in .1821, and was a farmer and distiller, his distillery having stood a mile from the Missouri river. He went to Texas in 1854, and lived out his days at Port Sullivan. His son Jesse G. Newman was born at Booneville, Mo., grew up there, married and went to work as a farmer. In 1849 he turned his back on Booneville and, crossing the plains with ox-team, mined on Feather river, Cal. In 1852 he went back to Booneville, where he died, aged fifty-two years. A man of ability, he was judge of Cooper County, Mo., eight years and was for a time captain of a company of Missouri Home Guards in the Federal service in the Civil war. He was well known as an Odd Fellow. He married Elizabeth Hill, a native of Kentucky, daughter of James Hill, a Mississippian by birth, and an early settler and pioneer farmer at Booneville. Mr. Hill was sheriff of Cooper County and died there, after a life of activity and usefulness. Mrs. Newman survived her husband and eventually passed away in Tulare County. Of their twelve children, six are living: Robert Oscar, whose name is above; Jesse H.; Harry Hill; Frank; Fannie, wife of George P. Robinson of Nevada; and Maggie, widow of the late Marion Grove, of Visalia.
The birth of Robert Oscar Newman occurred
July 4, 1848, in Booneville, Mo. • There he was brought up to the life of a
farmer's boy and educated in a district school, the Booneville school and
Allison's Academy for Boys in that town. In the Civil War he served as a
member of his father's company, which was called out during Shelby's raid in
1863 and Price's raid in 1864. Price came to Booneville with thirty thousand
men, and as there were only a hundred and fifty men in the Home Guards, the
latter was forced to surrender, but its men were paroled three days later.
After the war Mr. Newman farmed on the Newman place, near Booneville, till
he was twenty-three years old. Then, in 1871, he went to Elko, Nev., where
for two years he teamed in the mountains. After the death of his father he
returned to Missouri and conducted the home farm for his mother till in
1882, when he purchased an adjoining farm, which he sold two years later in
order to come to Tulare County, Cal. Soon after his arrival he rented land
on the Cottonwood and went into wheat growing, having in charge four
thousand acres of the Fielding Bacon holdings, running a big farming outfit
which included seven eight-mule teams. By 1892 he had accumulated $25,000,
but the financial stringency of 1893 and the reverses of several dry seasons
made him as poor as he had been at the beginning of these extensive
In 1898 Mr. Newman settled on his present home property, then known as the old Morgan Beard ranch. His property now includes three hundred acres devoted to grain and alfalfa and six hundred and forty acres of the Fielding Bacon land. His specialty is the raising of fine trotting stock, and he is conspicuous as the dealer in Tulare County who invariably offers regular Standard bred horses. He has produced more record horses than any other man in the San Joaquin valley, among which have been the following: Robert Basler, 2.20, by Antebolo, 2.19, son of Electioneer, his dam being Elizabeth Basler ; De Bernardi Basler, 2.161/%, by Robert Basler ; Ida May, by Grosvenor, the dam of Homeward, 2.131/%, by Strathway, sired George G., 2.051/4 ; Dr. W., 2.181/4, by Robert Basler ; Jonesa Basler, 2.05%, by Robert Basler; Stoneway, 2.22, by Strathway, 2.19, whose 'dam was Elizabeth Basler; sired Myway, 2.151/4; Stoneletta, 2.151/4 at two years old. He owns at present Robert Direct, ten years old, by Direct, 2.051/9, dam Daisy Basler, by Robert Basler, one of the finest bred horses in the United States; Dew Drop Basler, by Robert Basler ; Ida May, by Grosvenor ; Daisy Basler, by Robert Basler;
Wedding Bells, by Robert Basler; all fine Standard bred mares. Mr. Newman is reputed to be one of the best judges of horses in America. For a time he dealt also in cattle and was the owner of a splendid herd of Jersey cows.
At Booneville, Mo., Mr. Newman married
Frances Ziegel, daughter of Andrew Ziegel, an early settler, farmer and
tanner in Missouri, and they have seven children: Grace, wife of Henry J.
Lyman, Hilo, Hawaii; Walter, a graduate of the University of California;
Tracy, a merchant at Portland, Oregon; Elizabeth, a trained nurse, at
Honolulu; Nellie, a graduate of the Visalia high school; Robert 0., Jr.,
who was educated at the University of California; Lola, a graduate of the
Visalia high school. Mr. Newman is a Democrat and has been useful to his
party in Tulare County by his long service as a member of the County central
committee. He advocates all measures which, in his opinion, promise to
benefit any considerable number of his worthy fellow citizens, and, taken
all in all, is one of the most prominent, substantial and useful citizens
of his part of the state.
LOWERY B KING
Among the progressive and prosperous Missourians who are making a record of success in Central California is L. B. King of Tulare County, whose ranch is on rural free delivery route No. 1, out of Visalia. Mr. King was born in Buchanan County, in the state mentioned, March 5, 1865, a son of James W. and Elizabeth J. (Jones) King. He was reared and educated and taught farming in his native state as it was practiced there, and in 1886, when he was twenty-one years old, he came to California and settled near Visalia and for five years leased and operated a ranch belonging to Sands Baker.
Later Mr. King farmed land in the Kaweah Swamp district for several years, raising potatoes and other crops which yielded good returns. Then, responding to the call of the east, he went to Oklahoma and Missouri and tried to farm there, but was driven back to California by destructive droughts; and here he has been content to remain ever since ; here he firmly believes he will live out his allotted days on earth. For a time after his return he was foreman on the Kane ranch in Tulare County. Since January, 1907, he has farmed a one hundred and twenty acre ranch owned by Sands Baker. his father-in-law, which includes a profitable dairy of thirty-five cows. He gives attention to the breeding of horses and has several good brood mares which invariably raise fine colts. Hogs and chickens are a source of revenue to him; he has forty acres of alfalfa and a garden. All in all, he is one of the really successful farmers of his part of the County. As a citizen he is public-spiritedly helpful. Fraternally he affiliates with the Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen of America. While he has never been particularly active in political work, he is alert and patriotic in the performance of his duties as a voter and has ably filled the office of clerk of the school board of the Union district and the office of school trustee.
In 1892 Mr. King married Miss
Mattie Baker, a native of Fresno County, and they have four children, Ethel
F., Lauris M., Sands E. and Helen B. Lauris M. was graduated at fourteen
from the Union High School, took a course at a boarding school in Los
Angeles, and is now attending the Visalia high school.
SAMUEL A BREWER
The prosperous rancher whose name is sufficient to direct the attention of the reader to this notice had lived in Kings County since 1873 and is one of the best known tillers of the soil and breeders of fine stock and poultry in all the country round about Hanford. Born at Coyote, Santa Clara County, Cal., March 8, 1867, he attended public schools until he was nineteen years old, then working on the ranch for his father until he was twenty-three, at which age he entered upon an independent career. It will be noted that he was only six years old when his family settled in Tulare County, in that part now known as Kings, and that he has lived here practically all his life. His first land purchase was one of twenty-one and one-quarter. acres, but he rented and ran in connection with it the old Dillon place. This arrangement lasted but a year, however, for at the beginning of his second season he settled on his home place and branched out in the raising of cattle, hogs and chickens. Six years later he added to his holding by the purchase of another twenty-one acres, and by subsequent purchases has brought the area of his ranch up to eighty-five acres, well stocked, well provided with buildings, machinery and appliances, and exceptionally well tilled. In recent years Mr. Brewer has devoted himself particularly to dairying and to hog-raising.
In 1908, as an experiment, Mr. Brewer put in four acres of sugar beets and from that 'planting secured sixty-two tons, which netted him $164, showing that, all things being equal, this is a profitable crop. He brought the first beet-drill to his ranch, the first cultivator, plowed the first beets and put the first beets in the car at Odessa. He was successful, following directions given to see what the possibilities were.
January 18, 1890, Mr. Brewer married Miss
Effie Webber, who was born in Newport, Pa., June 22, 1871, and they have
three children living, whom they have named Harry A., Ethel M. and Clara L.
One child died in infancy. While he is not very active politically, Mr.
Brewer takes a broad view of all economic questions and loyally performs his
duties as a citizen. He has never sought office, nor has he ever accepted it
except in one instance, when he consented to become a school trustee, in
which capacity he labored effectively for local education during a period of
six years. His public spirit has been many times tried and never found
wanting and his influence is always exerted for the amelioration of the
conditions under which he and his neighbors must work and live. He is a
member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Fraternal
An up-to-date and prominent dairyman of Tulare is Henry Bertch, who was born November 11, 1857, in Erie County, N. Y., twelve miles from Buffalo. There he followed the life of a farmer's general boy, gaining an education in the public schools, and he remained there until 1884, when he was twenty-seven years old. Coming then to Tulare County, Cal., he readily found farm work. He homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres and in 1885 bought one hundred and sixty acres more near Delano, in Kern County. These tracts he farmed six years without any adequate returns, suffering losses because of dry seasons. Later until 1895 he worked a rented farm in Tulare County, and then leased an adjoining farm and controlled an aggregate of three hundred and twenty acres, which he operated until 1898. In that year he bought one hundred and sixty acres eight miles west of Tulare, on which he made improvements, enclosing five fields with hog-tight fences. He planted three acres to orchard and gave fifty acres to alfalfa. He now has a dairy of twelve cows and devotes sixty-five acres of his land to grain and the balance to pasture. He has put down a well one hundred and seven feet deep for irrigation, which is fitted with a six-inch pump, the motor power of which is a fifteen horse-power gasoline engine, and a seventy-foot well for domestic uses. Dairying is perhaps his chief business aside from farming, and he is a stockholder in the Dairymen's Co-operative Creamery at Tulare.
In 1903 Mr. Bertch married Harriet Hoffman. Socially he affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, being a member
of the Tulare lodge. As a farmer he is well informed on all subjects pertaining to that vocation, being considered an authority. His public spirit is of a quality that makes him a most useful citizen.
ORLANDO D BARTON
A great-grandson of a soldier of the Revolutionary war and a grandson of a soldier of the war of 1812, his progenitors in the paternal line, Orlando D. Barton was born in La Salle County, Ill., in 1847, a son of James and Susan (Davenport) Barton, natives of Morris County, N. J., the former born November 2, 1819, and the latter on October 30, 1823. James Barton crossed the plains with his family in 1865, following the North Platte river route to Salt Lake and the Austin & Walker's lake route from there on. The Sioux Indians were then at war and caused the train of which the Bartons were members considerable trouble. However, the family arrived safely at Visalia October 6, that year, and camped near the present site of the Santa Fe depot. The father took up land at the site of Auckland and raised cattle there on four hundred and forty acres for fourteen years. In 1879 he moved to Three Rivers, where he lived until his death, September 2, 1912, except during the periods of his incumbency of the office of supervisor of Tulare County, when his home was in Visalia.
The elder Mr. Barton was honored by election to the office in the County for five terms and was prominent in the management of County affairs. The court house was built under his supervision and he had charge of the erection of the old and the new County jails. He reached the advanced age of ninety-two years and ten months, his wife dying January 19, 1912, aged eighty-eight years and two months, and died on the sixty-ninth anniversary of their marriage. Both were honored as pioneers who braved the hardships of the overland trail to pave the way for the present civilization of California. Of their children we mention the following: Hudson D. married Sarah Harmon and they have six children; James, who married Nellie St. Clair and has two daughters; Frank, who married Miss Foucht, who has borne him two children; Albertus, who married Miss Downing and has three children; and Royal V., Hugh and Orlena. Orlando D. is the immediate subject of this sketch. Enos D. was the next in order of birth. Jane married J. B. Weathers, of Visalia, and they have two children, Grover and Mrs. Carrie Sweet. Adelaide is the wife of J. H. Butts, of Hanford, and they have two children, Dell and Mrs. Ida Hamilton. Melissa married R. C. Hardin of Visalia and they have three children, Norman, Mrs. Blanche Young and Benjamin. James and Susan (Davenport) Barton had, all counted, about fifty descendants.
It is as a writer that Orlando D. Barton is perhaps best known, his articles about the Indians and other western subjects having been widely read. In the days of his youth he ranched with his father and brothers, helped to build sawmills and to get out lumber in the mountains, and taught three terms of school in the Cottonwood district. Later he settled on a ranch at Three Rivers, which is now the site of the River Inn, and raised cattle and hogs there eight years. In the period since he has been interested in mining and oil, being a practical mineralogist of many years' study and experience. He is the owner of quite extensive oil interests in the Lost Hills and in the Devil's Den mining district of Kern and Kings counties.
In 1880 Mr. Barton married Miss Maggie Allen,
a native of California, who died in 1888, leaving two children. Their
daughter Phoebe, wife of Alexander McLennan, of Visalia, has a son. Their
son Cornelius is employed by the San Joaquin Light and Power Company.
ASA T GRIFFIN
As soldier, farmer and citizen Asa T. Griffin has won the respect of all with whom he has from time to time been associated. He was born in Cooper County, Mo., August 8, 1842, and from there his family soon afterward moved to Benton County, where he grew up. In 1861, when he was only nineteen years old, he enlisted in the Sixty-fourth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the Civil war, when he was mustered out at Louisville, Ky., in July, 1865. He took part in much historic fighting, including that at New Madrid, the siege and battle of Corinth, and later served under General Sherman in the South. Going back to his old home, he soon afterward located in St. Clair County, Ill., where he farmed successfully.
In 1873 Mr. Griffin came to California and settled in Tulare County, and since that time he has been ranching near Visalia. Formerly he gave attention especially to cattle and to dairying, but now he owns twenty acres four miles southwest of Visalia, ten acres of which is in Muir and Lovell peaches, another ten in alfalfa. Since 1906 he has been a rural mail carrier, delivering mail from Visalia over part of route No. 1. His service as a soldier makes him eligible to membership in the Grand Army of the Republic, and in his post he is active and helpful. March 9, 1869, Mr. Griffin married Miss Ann Esther Preston, born February 2, 1849, in St. Clair County, Mo. They have had six children: Mrs. Margaret Elizabeth Collins, deceased; James M.; George P., also deceased; and Benjamin, Thomas and Bernard.
It will be seen that the Griffins have been
pioneers, generation after generation. Mr. Griffin's grandfather Griffin
settled in Howard County, Mo., in 1817, and his forefathers were pioneers
further east. Mr. Griffin is a citizen of helpful impulses, who, in
different ways, has done much for the general good. The patriotic spirit
that impelled him as a mere boy to risk his life for the preservation of the
union of the states has directed him along the ways of public usefulness
ever since, wherever he has cast his lot.
LINCOLN HENRY BYRON
One of the progressive and up-to-date-business men of Lemoore is Lincoln Henry Byron, who was born in 1866, in Contra Costa County, Cal. In 1868 he was brought by his parents to Lemoore, Kings County, where he has since lived and which is now his headquarters for the automobile agency, the success of which has made him well known throughout this part of the state. He was educated in the public schools of Lemoore and in the University of the Pacific at San Jose, and then engaged in farming on the lake bottoms near the lake, where, in association with his father for seven years, he operated twenty-seven hundred acres. For two years thereafter he was in the livery business at Los Angeles, and the next two years he spent as proprietor and manager of the Germania hotel at Oxnard. Returning to Kings County he was for two years engaged in boring wells for water, and during the next four years he was a traveling agent for the Watkins Medicine company, with headquarters at Vancouver, Clark County, Wash. Then coming again to Lemoore, he bought, in 1906, the Joseph Marriott homestead of eighty acres which he developed into a fine vineyard, meantime devoting part of his time to dealing in horses and selling tents and awnings. In 1911 he bought a half interest in the Lemoore garage. He is the agent for the Ford auto for the western half of Kings County, including Lemoore and Coalinga and their tributary territory, and successful has he been in handling this car, which ranks among the best, that he sold twenty-one machines between October 31 and February 10 following. From time to time other interests have commanded his attention and he has invested in oil land in the Devil's Den country and is promoting the oil development in that field.
In 1887 Mr. Byron married Julia Bozeman and
they have three children. Their daughter Bertha is the wife of Louis Burke
Coalinga, and their sons, Carl and Lawrence, are students in the high school
at Lemoore. As a family the Byrons are popular wherever they are known.
Their circle of acquaintance is wide and constantly extending and their
influence in all their relations is exerted for the uplift of the community.
Mr. Byron is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
ARTHUR G DALY
This native son of the Golden State was born in Lake County May 20, 1858, a son of Patrick M. and Mary E. (O'Hara) Daly, natives, respectively, of Ireland and of New York. The elder Daly came to California, by way of Cape Horn, in 1848, and was the first bottler of porter in San Francisco. He was long in the cattle trade and in the pork packing business in the employ of Ruth, Brum & Company, and later bred cattle in Lake County until 1906, when he died. His wife had passed away December 20, 1881. Of their children the following survive: James P., of Exeter ; Dennis B., of Yokohl valley, Tulare County; Mrs. Maggie Clancy, of San Francisco; and Arthur G., of Visalia, who is the immediate subject of this notice. The father was one of the organizers of the Ancient Order of United Workmen in Lake County, and was otherwise active and influential.
It was in Lake County, Cal., that Arthur G.
Daly was reared and educated, his book studies having been prosecuted in
public schools near his boyhood home. In 1882 he went to Ashland, Ore., and
engaged in the sheep-raising industry. He came to the Yokohl valley in
1888, and for a number of years raised cattle on a ranch of seven hundred
and fifty acres. In 1904 he bought one hundred and sixty acres near
Farmersville at $25 an acre and improved it and subsequently sold it at $90
an acre, a price that afforded him a fine profit. His present home farm of
three hundred and twenty acres, three miles north of Visalia, he purchased
December 1, 1907. Eighty acres of it is in alfalfa., and he raises many
hogs, cattle and fine horses and has a dairy of thirty cows.
Mr. Daly married Mrs. (Lee) Smith, a native of California, March 27, 1890. William Lee, her father, was an overland pioneer in California in 1849, making the journey with ox-teams. He was born in Virginia and reared in Missouri, and had been a brave soldier in the Mexican war. For some years after he came to California he teamed in San Francisco, Fresno, Stockton and Sacramento. Then he came to Tulare County and got into the cattle business, in which he was active and successful around Visalia for many years. His death, April 24, 1892, was sincerely mourned by family, by friends, by all who had come within the influence of his personality. His recollections of the west went back to the real pioneer days, the days of the miners, the outlaws and the vigilantes, of Indians and of the stern white men who risked their lives to defend their women and children against savage raids. He had done his part in Indian fighting and had known many of those bold spirits who had made a profession of fighting the redskins. Of his children, the following named were living in 1912: Joseph, Charles, Mrs. Mary Dumont and Mrs. Arthur G. Daly.
With Exeter lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Mr. Daly is identified. He takes a helpful interest in all that pertains to the advancement of the people among whom he lives, is intelligently concerned in all public affairs and may be counted upon to be on the sane and patriotic side of any question of economic import.
JOHN H HAUSCHILDT
New York has sent to California many men who have been an acquisition to its citizenship, efficient in the promotion of its important business interests and helpful in numerous directions. Among men of this class who are well known in the vicinity of Tulare, Tulare County, is John H. Hauschildt, a native of New York City, born August 20, 1869. As a youth he was taken to Kansas, where he lived until 1894, acquiring an education and farming and working in general merchandise stores. The Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma was opened September 16, 1893. He went down there from Kansas in 1894 and secured eighty acres, to the development of which he gave the ensuing three years and a half. Then he was in the Indian service six years and a half, until in 1904, when the state of his health impelled him to seek the climate of California. He came on here, and April 18, 1906, made his first land purchase in the state. It consisted of eighty acres of orchard, located six miles northwest of Tulare. In October, 1907, he bought twenty acres two miles west of Tulare, on the Hanford road, and here he has eighteen acres in alfalfa, a dairy of ten cows, many cattle and hogs and five hundred hens. As to his eighty acres, he disposed of the peach orchard devoted twenty-five acres to prunes and fifteen acres to Muscat grapes and put the remaining forty acres under alfalfa. This property he lets out for a cash rental.
In 1896 Mr. Hauschildt married Miss Nora
Hansen, of Kansas, and they have a son, Carl Hauschildt, who is a member of
their household. The family are of the congregation of the Methodist
Episcopal church at Tulare and Mr. Hauschildt is prominent in the
affairs of the organization, filling the office of steward and acting as
choirmaster. Believing in the idea that the human race should advance and
that the place in which to begin all good work is at home, he gives generous
aid to all efforts for the uplift of the community.
F A THOMAS
A native son of Tulare County, one of the comparatively few elder ones who are leaders there now, F. A. Thomas was born October 6, 1858, a. son of William and Nary A. (Jordan-Courtner) Thomas. His father came across the plains from the east in 1852 and settled in San Bernardino County, whence he moved to Tulare County. His first marriage was to Eda Hall, who bore him a daughter named Adilla. Mary A. Jordan married William Courtner, and they came across the plains from Texas with ox-teams in 1847, John Jordan, father of Mary A. and grandfather of F. A. Thomas, having been captain of the train. After an eventful and wearisome journey of six months, they arrived in San Joaquin County, and there Mr. Jordan and Mr. Courtner passed away. The following are the names of the children of William and Mary A. (Jordan) Courtner : Eli, Jennie E., Lee C., James, Mary, Alice E., Ellis T., Preston B. and Melissa (who died in infancy). James is also deceased.
All his life Mr. Thomas has farmed and raised
stock. That he has prospered may be inferred from the fact that he owns one
hundred and ten city lots in Tulare, eighty acres of timber land, twenty-
eight. acres of orange grove, an interest in the Courtner sawmills in the
mountains, and he has recently sold twenty-two hundred acres of land in Drum
valley. He freights lumber from his mill to Tulare, fifty-eight miles. His
experiences in this part of the state compass the entire period of its
modern development. He remembers well the killing by Digger Indians of
Pioneer Woods and was well acquainted with Evans and Sontag and other
celebrated characters whose names are identified with the earlier history of
central California and has been on the spot where the two desperadoes
mentioned were captured, and had often hunted on the plains and in the
woods and was one time treed by wild hogs. Among others whom he knew in
earlier days was Mr. Breckenridge, who was killed by Indians in Eshom
valley. and it was since he came that the Dalton brothers had their short
but eventful career in this part of the country. Politically he early
affiliated with the Democratic party. He was a charter member of a local
organization of the Woodmen of the World of Visalia. He has been very
prominent in many movements for the benefit of the community, in which he is
The Chatten family, which for years was worthily represented in Visalia by the late Richard Chatten and now by his son Thomas A. Chatten, is prominent in Ontario, Canada, where Richard Chatten was born, December 11, 1826. Of English origin they have lived in Canada since the Colonial times, and here Mr. Chatten was reared to manhood, working in the lumber woods there and in the northern part of the United States. His educational training was procured in the common schools of Canada and New York, and in 1849 he returned to Canada for a short time. Anxious to see other parts of the world and find a more encouraging field for his labors he decided to seek the western country, and accordingly made his way to St. Louis, Mo., working as a river raftsman, rafting logs from the Wisconsin pine woods, and at the age of twenty-seven years he was residing in that city. In the spring of 1850, in company with others, he outfitted seven ox-wagons and started overland for California, eager to try their fortunes with the rest of the gold-seekers. Taking a southern route they traveled through the state of Texas, and while there Mr. Chatten met his future wife, who was Margaret Glenn, daughter of Alexander and Eleanor Glenn, who were also on their way to the coast, and they accordingly joined their trains and traveled the remaining distance together. On the way the Indians stole several head of their cattle, but the animals were so tired from their long trip that they could not be driven fast enough and the party recovered them. They stopped at Salt Lake city for three weeks to rest and two weeks of this time Mr. Chatten was employed by Brigham Young, for which he was amply paid. The party finally arrived in Los Angeles in the fall of the year, and Mr. Chatten and the four Glenn boys pushed on to what was then Sonora County, where they engaged in placer-mining near Mariposa, where he met with some success and after working there for a year and a half returned to Los Angeles, where he purchased about two hundred head of cattle, and this was the start of his extensive stock business.
Driving his cattle about nine miles west of Visalia he settled there for a time, and was married there in the home of John C. Reed on January 12, 1854, to Margaret Glenn, above mentioned. -They suffered many hardships through the. troublesome Indians and as business often took Mr. Chatten to Stockton and Los Angeles he was compelled to bring his wife to Visalia for protection during his absence. He came to Visalia in 1886 and that city had in him a wide awake, industrious citizen until his death, which occurred there August 12, 1896. He prospered in his stock business by his clever management and untiring perseverance, and added to his property from time to time until he became one of the largest landholders in the vicinity. He owned the Mineral King fruit ranch of six hundred and sixty acres, which lies east of Visalia and disposed of it at a gratifying profit. He also owned one of the first apple or chards in the County and at the time of his death his property holdings covered an area of about four thousand acres. Mr. Chatten laid out the Chatten ditch, now called the Fleming ditch and a part of the Mineral King Fruit company's holdings.
Mrs. Chatten passed away in 1890, leaving one son and three daughters, namely: Thomas A., a prominent stockman and dairyman of Visalia; Frances, of San Francisco ; Celesta; and Eliza, wife of Louis Whitendale, near Visalia. For a second wife Mr. Chatten married, in 1892, Mrs. Leah (Miller) Davis, widow of the late Thomas H. Davis, a pioneer of Antelope valley. Mrs. Chatten was born in Arkansas and crossed the plains to California in 1856, and since 1857 has been a resident of Tulare County. Mr. Chatten was a well known Mason, and was always a prominent factor in movements that had for their object the benefit of his community, and his memory will ever be held sacred by his many friends and associates in Visalia and the surrounding country, where he was best known.
FRED C HOWE
It was in Santa Clara County that this native son of California was born in 1858. Henry N. and Rebecca J. Howe, his parents, came out here in 1852 from Maine, his father coming around Cape Horn, his mother by way of the Isthmus of Panama. For some time his father mined in Mariposa County and ran a sawmill near Felton in Santa Cruz County. Then the family went to British Columbia and lived there several years, while the father mined with little success near Caribou. Returning to California, they located at San Jose, Santa Clara County. When Fred C. Howe was sixteen years old he went to Solano, whence in 1875 he and his brother Frank came to what is now Kings County and located near the site of Hanford. They acquired railroad land and remained in that vicinity until 1905, devoting themselves principally to the raising of grain. Then Fred C. Howe settled in Tulare County on eighty acres, eight and a half miles southwest from Tulare, which he bought of J. W. Stitt. There was on the place an artesian well, a house and some fencing, and eighty acres of it was given over to orchard. Mr. Howe has built a barn on the property, eliminated the orchard and enclosed the entire eighty acres in hog-tight fence. Irrigation is obtained from an artesian well and from the Tulare irrigating canal.
With fifteen acres in alfalfa, Mr. Howe is doing general farming and raising blooded horses, cattle and hogs. Besides the operation of his home farm, he rents three hundred and twenty acres adjoining, on which he raises grain. For the past thirty years or longer he has run a thresher in season in Tulare and Kings counties. He is a stockholder in the Dairymen's Co-operative Creamery Company.
In 1890 Mr. Howe entered into a marriage by
which he had two children, one of whom, Edith, is living at Oakland. In 1909
he married (second) Miss Elizabeth Stitt.
HENRY GODFREY TRAEGER
As proprietor of one of the leading furniture stores of Portervile, Tulare County, and as a high-class business man and man of affairs, the subject of this brief notice is well known in the central part of the state. He was born in Kenton, Hardin County, Ohio, April 10, 1859, a son of Augustus and Margareta (Schope) Traeger. His parents were born in Germany, his father at Halle-on-der-Saale January 23, 1824, his mother at Reichenburg, Bairon, November 6, 1831. Their marriage was celebrated April 15, 1852, at Kenton, Ohio. The son attended the public schools of Kenton until he was twelve years old, then took up the active duties of life as a clerk in a dry goods store in that town.
Mr. Traeger came to Porterville in 1884, arriving November 26, and, failing to secure work in a store, began chopping wood by the cord. Soon, however, he fell a victim to fever and went to the mountains and found work as a herder of hogs. Forty-eight days later he returned to the valley in good health. He worked ten acres of vineyard on shares, making from five thousand to six thousand gallons of wine each year for three years. He then went to work for Wilko Mentz in his store, as he supposed for only a week, but remained for fourteen years, and gave it up only because of ill health in order to go to the mountains. For a time he took care of a lumber yard for A. M. Coburn; then he mined in the White River district. Next we find him in Alaska, increased in weight from one hundred and thirty-five pounds to two hundred and eight pounds and greatly improved in health. There he remained one season, and after his return he became a grain buyer for Eppenger R Company. Later he was in the furniture business for five years, then traded his store for a grocery business, sold that and became interested in the electrical business, and then traded that for orange land, but soon discovered that he was not likely to succeed as a farmer and took advantage of a good opportunity to dispose of his holding.
For three years Mr. Traeger was deputy assessor under J. F.Gibson and assessed the taxpayers of the city of Porterville in the first and second years of its corporate existence. As a Republican he was elected a member of the board of trustees of Porterville, in which capacity he served faithfully and efficiently three years, when he resigned. Socially he is a member of the Tule River Fishing and Shooting Association. Fraternally he associates with the Masons, being a member of Porterville Lodge, F. & A. M., and the Royal Arch Chapter.
At Porterville, September 5, 1891, Mr.
Traeger married Mary Schmidt, a daughter of Joseph Schmidt, who was the
leader of the Second Regiment Band at Black Point and the Presidio. They
have children named Henry A., a trap-drummer, and Wilko J., the latter
attending high school at Porterville. As a citizen Mr. Traeger has always
been helpful to every movement for the advancement of Porterville and the
country round about.
In 1878 Caryl Church moved to Tulare County and became a settler in the San Joaquin valley. He was born in Erie County, Ohio, June 6, 1846, and was eleven years old when his family immigrated to Iowa and twenty-three when he came to California. His early life was spent in school and at work on his father's farm. For a time after he came to this state he worked for wages, mostly on ranches, and the knowledge of farming that he acquired in that way was a fitting complement to that which he had acquired under his father's instruction. Now he was a California farmer, fully competent to go into business for himself. Coming to Kings County, he located on what is now his home place, a fine ranch not far from Hanford. By successive purchases he has become the owner of four hundred acres of as productive land as is to be found in his vicinity. He began as a wheat raiser, and as such he was successful until stock raising promised him better returns. He raises hogs, horses and cattle, and his stock of whatever kind is as good as is offered in the market, always sells well and sometimes brings top-notch prices.
In 1871 Mr. Church married Miss Annie E.
Howland, who was born in the state of New York. They became the parents of
six children, Charles, Elery, Beecher, Birch, Carrie (the wife of Frank
Sanborn), and one daughter who died in early childhood. The sons are living
on adjoining ranches, all prospering by their devotion to the interests that
have brought their father so much success. A recent specialty of Mr. Church
is grapes, to which he has given five acres of suitable land. In the affairs
of his township, County, state and nation he takes a sincere and most
intelligent interest, and he has many times manifested a commendable public
THE FENWICK SANITARIUM
In this era of advanced surgery and scientific treatment of disease, the sanitarium properly equipped and conducted is an absolute necessity in any city. Visalia possesses in the Fenwick Sanitarium, conducted and owned by Miss D. V. Fenwick, an institution affording every facility in emergency and surgical cases and a quiet retreat for persons desiring a restful environment in which to regain health. Miss Fenwick, who was graduated from the Los Angeles County and city hospitals in 1902, and from the Children's hospital in San Francisco, is experienced in her chosen line. Patients in her care are allowed choice of physicians, and leading physicians and surgeons practice in and recommend the institution: This sanitarium is ideally located on Mineral King avenue, far enough from the city to insure quiet and pure atmosphere. Fresh fruit from orchards surrounding the building, vegetables from the sanitarium garden, butter and milk and cream from Miss Fenwick's own dairy and eggs from her poultry yard add much to the efficiency of the institution. The place has recently been remodeled and improved, and the building is one of the best appointed of its kind in central California. A new operating room, completely equipped, has been added and every modern aid to surgery is supplied; two trained nurses are regularly employed and others as they are required, and the sanitarium is equal to the accommodation of fourteen patients. The various railroads of this section patronize it, which is in itself a splendid recommendation.
The history of this institution dates from 1902, when it was established, in a small way, on South Court street, by its present owner and manager, who deserves great credit for the enterprise and perseverance which she has employed in maintaining and building it up. Miss Fenwick is a native daughter of Tulare County. Her parents, P. L. and Sarah (Jones) Fenwick, who were born in Illinois, came overland to California in the early '50s. For a time they stopped in Fresno County, then came to Tulare County, where her father became a farmer .and cattle-raiser and operated extensively near Orosi and in Antelope valley until January 15, 1911, when he died, aged eighty-one years. Following are the names of his children: Jasper, who died February 15, 1911; Alonzo L., Edward and Miss D. V. The latter left home at the age of sixteen to become a graduated trained nurse. How successful she has been is known to all who are conversant with the splendid work done by the institution of which she is the head.
Miss Fenwick is constantly improving her
institution; within the past year she has remodeled the basement, installed
electricity for heating and cooking, and has added restrooms, thus
increasing the comfort of her patients, and is always looking out for the
sanitation of the place and the health of its patrons.
In Clay County, Kans., January 8, 1887, Earl Bagby was born, and when he was a year old his family moved to California, locating at Visalia, where his parents, R. J. and Elizabeth (Hughes) Bagby, are still living. After his graduation from the grammar and high schools of that city, he entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, from which institution he was duly graduated with the LL D. degree with the class of 1908, and soon afterwards was admitted to practice in the courts of Michigan. In November, 1908, he was admitted to practice in all the courts in the state of California and opened a law office in Visalia. In November, 1910, he was elected to, the office of justice of the peace, upon the duties of which he entered in January, 1911, and in the latter year he was elected judge of the recorders' court of Visalia. Before his election to these offices he, had been for some time attorney for and assistant secretary of the California Humane Society.
Fraternally Mr. Bagby affiliates with the Woodmen of the World in which he holds the office of Council Commander ; with the F. 0. E. in which he is president; with the Loyal Order of Moose, of which he is treasurer, and the Independent Order of Foresters. He is vice president of the Tennis club, a member of the Kaweah club. secretary of the board of trade of Visalia and secretary of the Democratic County Central Committee. In 1911 he married Miss Celisse, B. Wing, a native of Maine, being a daughter of P. H. and Sadie Wing.
Mr. Bagby practices in all the federal courts of the state, except the court over which he presides. He was admitted to the United States District Court in the month of May, 1909, and to the United States Circuit Court in the same month. He has gained the respect of the entire community and has built up a large and lucrative practice in the superior courts. As an office attorney his counsel is sought by a large clientage. A great part of his work consists of conveyancing, in which line he has had a very extensive experience. A large part of his legal work deals with the law of real property and contracts.
In 1912 Mr. Bagby helped to organize the Teal
Gun Club. This club has built two club houses and made large duck ponds from
the waters of an artesian well in section 28, township 24, range. 25, upon
six hundred and forty acres of land held under lease by said club. He is one
of three directors; it is limited to twenty, and its membership extends to
Kings as well as Tulare County.
THOMAS E HOWES
The Middle West, constantly drawing on the East to fill up its quota of citizens, is as constantly sending some of its best blood to the Pacific coast, and its men arrive in California imbued with the spirit not only of the land immediately beyond the Rockies but of the whole broad country to the Atlantic. It is probable that Illinois has sent as many good citizens to California as any other state in the favored region under consideration. One of them who is located near Hanford, Kings County, and is making for himself an enviable record is Thomas E. Howes, who was born in Dekalb County, in the Prairie State, February 11, 1863, the same year in which his father, Philip Howes, was killed in the Civil war. A few years later the boy came with his mother to California and was a student in the public school at Eucalyptus, Tulare (now Kings) County. At an early age he began to work on ranches round about and in a few years he gained a practical knowledge of farming as it was then conducted in this part of California.
In 1882 Mr. Howes began farming on his own
account on rented land, and so successful was he that by 1886 he was able to
buy eighty acres of good land, which is now included in his homestead. As he
has accumulated money he has invested it in land from time to time until he
is now the owner of over five hundred acres devoted to general farming and
to dairying. He has improved his ranch in many ways, and it now presents a
view in which a good home and ample barns and outbuildings are pleasing
features. His methods of cultivation are up to date, and he works only with
machines and appliances of modern construction and efficiency. Since 1873
Mr. Howes tias been a resident of the vicinity where he is now living. At
that time no trees were to be seen between Cross creek and Mussel slough on
the plains. As a citizen he is known for his liberality of thought and for
his generous co-operation in the promotion of measures for the public weal.
Fraternally he affiliates with the Independent Order of Foresters and with
the Woodmen of the World. He married Cora Yuel November 15, 1885. Mrs. Howes,
who is a native daughter A California, was born June 20, 1868, and they have
five children, Ralph, Everett, Marion, Forest and Ora.
CHAUNCEY M BAKER
It was in Mill Creek valley that Chauncey M. Baker, one of the well-to-do farmers in the vicinity of Dunlap, was born July 3, 1877, and there he has spent his life to the present time. He attended the Mill Creek school and was initiated into the mysteries of farming under his father's instruction.
At San Rafael in 1905, Mr. Baker married Olive Hargrave, a native of Mendocino County, whose father, Charles M. Hargrave, crossed the plains in the pioneer days and was an early settler on Cache creek, Yolo County, whence he moved to Mendocino County. For several years prior to her marriage, Mrs. Baker taught school in Mendocino and Fresno counties.
Mr. Baker homesteaded one hundred and sixty
acres of land and January 10, 1908, received his patent from the government.
That same year he bought four hundred and eighty acres, known as the old
Turner place; in 1910 he added two hundred and forty acres known as the
Wilson place and one hundred and sixty acres of railroad land, and he is
now the owner of one thousand and forty acres. He cultivates two hundred and
fifty acres, and on fifty-five acres he raised one hundred and eighty tons
of hay in 1910, and from some of his valley land he cleared $10 an acre in
1909. He has about three thousand cords of marketable wood on his place. He
has given some attention to breeding fine stock and has on hand an average
of forty to fifty head. He has lived here long enough to have witnessed the
development of the district from a mountain country to productive ranches
and remembers when there were but half a dozen houses between the hills and
Visalia, a section now dotted with modern California farms. As a citizen he
is generously public spirited. Politically he is a Republican and
fraternally he affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America.
MRS. IDA MARGARET KAEHLER
The highly esteemed woman whose name is above lives at No.107 Hockett street, Porterville, Tulare County, Cal., and is a representative of an old German family. Ferdinand Rodler, her father, a native of the Fatherland, was born May 24, 1823, married in 1857 and came to the United States and devoted himself to the blacksmith trade. He was a fine mechanic, and, being also a good business man, he prospered. He died at his home in Davenport, Iowa, March 10, 1904, and his widow, formerly Johanna Louisa Paschke, is living there at the age of eighty-five years, having been born in March. 1828. Their daughter, Ida Margaret, was born in Davenport June 20, 1860, and when she became of school age entered the public schools of that city, in which she was a pupil until she was thirteen years old, when she was sent to Berlin, Germany, to finish her education. Returning to Iowa when she was sixteen years old, in 1878 she married N. M. Kaehler, and they had three children. Walter, the eldest, died young. Alfred, the second son, is living at Hobart, Ind., with his wife and two children. Ferdinand is a machinist at Porterville.
In 1884 Mr. and Mrs. Kaehler came to
California and settled on White river, in Tulare County, where she lived six
years. In 1890 she moved to Plano and in 1902 from Plano to Porterville,
which at that time was not a very promising village, having no railway
facilities and few stores, its scanty population trading for the most part
at Visalia. She now has a valuable and very attractive property, having
built the house she occupies, and is concentrating her holdings in
Porterville and vicinity, having recently sold her real estate at Plano.
What she owns she has earned herself, owning unimproved property and an
interest in the gas plant. Brought up in the Christian faith of her
fathers, Mrs. Kaehler is devoutly religious, with faith in God and in her
fellow men. She is firm in the belief that all people may become much better
if they will learn the right and try to do it.
MANUEL I MACHADO
It was on one of the Azores that Manuel I. Machado was born March 19, 1869, and he was reared and educated there and came to the United States in 1884. After remaining fifteen months in the East, most of the time in Massachusetts, he came to California, and located at Fresno. Herding sheep in the vicinity for wages for a short time, he bought sheep and was in the business for himself six years. Then he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land a mile and a half from the Cross creek school, where he raised alfalfa three years and lost his holdings because of crop failures. He then came to near Woodville, in Tulare County, and worked six hundred acres of land one year with good success. Using the money he made to pay his debts, he then began again at the bottom of the ladder, working for wages, and after two years he was able to rent forty acres of fruit and vineyard land eight miles southwest of Tulare. He replaced eighteen acres of the trees with alfalfa and set out six hundred trees of new varieties in place of others that had ceased to be profitable. Renting forty acres adjoining this land, he set out on it six acres of young orchard and devoted the remainder to vines. The first of these tracts he operated five years, the latter only one year, and then he bought one hundred and sixty acres three miles north of Waukena, which he has improved with good buildings, hog- tight fences and other appliances essential to successful operation. Eighty-five acres of the land is under alfalfa. He has put down four wells, with depths of thirty feet, fifty feet, ninety-six feet and one hundred and twenty-five feet, respectively, for stock and domestic use. For irrigation he gets water from the Packwood ditch, in the company controlling which he owns one hundred and twenty shares of stock. A feature of his ranch is a fruit orchard for home use. He makes a specially of horses, cattle and hogs and conducts a dairy of seventy cows. As a means to success in the latter venture he holds a membership in the Dairymen's Association of Tulare. He rents three hundred and ninety acres adjoining his home place and devotes one hundred and fifty acres of it to alfalfa, the remainder to grain and pasturage. On this place he has a partner in stock- raising. In 1910 he bought forty-two acres at Paige's Switch, on which he built a fine residence, fences and other improvements. Twenty-five acres of this property are devoted to alfalfa. Here he lives, conducting a dairy of seven cows and raising a few horses, cattle and hogs. He has long been one of the foremost in all that pertains to agricultural advancement in the County, and besides belonging to the Dairymen's Association he is a stockholder in the Co-operative Creamery and in the Rochdale store at Tulare.
In August, 1893, Mr. Machado married Rosa M.
Sauza and has seven children. Joseph is a member of their household. Mary is
the wife of M. T. Barrerio of Tulare. The others, who are comparatively
young, are named Vivian, Louisa, Ida, Rosa and Sarah. Mr. Machado is a
member of the I. D. E. S. organization of Tulare. He is helpful to religious
and educational enterprises and is actively interested in everything
pertaining to the welfare of the community.
ALVIN B SHIPPEY
In and around Visalia stand many monuments to the enterprise and good taste of Alvin B. Shippey, architect, contractor and builder. Mr. Shippey is a native of the capital city of Tulare County and was born March 28, 1874, a son of Daniel P. and Martha A. M. (Hurt) Shippey, both of Missouri birth, who came to Visalia in 1872.
A carpenter by trade, Daniel P. Shippey operated a planing mill and worked at his trade in Visalia and has long been well known in connection with contracting and building interests in this city. Here some of his children were born and all of them grew up and were educated. The eldest is Mrs. Eva Sanders. The others are Mrs. Lela White, Walter of Porterville, Wilbur of Utah, Albert of Los Angeles, and Alvin B. of Visalia.
After his graduation from the public schools of Visalia, Alvin B. Shippey learned the carpenter's trade under his father's instruction; in fact, he began to learn it long before he left school, for he has driven nails since he was thirteen years old. He began his business career as a partner with his father and brother in the Shippey planing mill at Visalia, and in 1902 branched out for himself as a contractor and builder, making a specialty of doing architectural work and drawing plans for his buildings. The following products of his artistic handicraft should be mentioned here as a part of the record of his busy life to date: The James Crowley home, a house for John Frans, the Co-operative Creamery building, the homes of L. Scott, J. B. Simpson, John Daly, 0. P. Swanson and L. Lucier. the North Methodist church, the new cannery building, the Palace stables and the residence of J. T. Akers; also twelve fine residences in Lindsay, the ranch house and barns of E. 0. Miller, the Fred Hamilton residence, the Prairie Center school house and the residence of Louis Felder.
In 1902 Mr. Shippey married Miss Ethel
Hamilton, a native daughter of California, whose father, J. Hamilton, was an
early settler in the state, and they have two children, Chester and Mervyn.
MARTIN V THOMAS
In the state of Mississippi, one of the proud old Southern commonwealths, Martin V. Thomas, who lives on the road two miles north of the Hanford road, northwest of Tulare, and is one of the well-known citizens of Tulare County, was born May 28, 1846, He_ was taken to Arkansas in childhood, and later went to Texas. He was reared to farm labor and educated in public schools, and in 1869 became a member of a party that consumed a year in making the overland journey across the plains to California. In April, 1870, he arrived at Visalia, where he had friends and relatives, and, liking the place, decided to stay there. For ten years he worked in and around Visalia for wages, then farmed in the Visalia and Porterville neighborhoods until 1885, when he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres at White River, which he improved and farmed seven years. Selling that property, he bought four hundred and eighty acres east of Porterville, where he raised cattle and other stock two years. He disposed of that holding in order to buy sixty-six and one-half acres near Woodville, where he conducted a dairy two years. Finding a purchaser for the property, he bought one hundred and sixty acres at Tipton, where for two years he raised stock and ran a dairy. Selling out there in 1911, he bought forty acres four miles west and two miles north of Tulare, on which he is successfully operating a dairy, milking ten cows and giving considerable attention to poultry. He has twenty-five acres in alfalfa and four hundred fruit trees. His land is irrigated by electric power.
In 1866, while he was a citizen of Arkansas,
Mr. Thomas married Miss Lydia L. Dillard, a native of Alabama. She came
across the plains with him from Texas and they became the parents of eleven
children, ten of whom are living: Sam, of Tulare; Mrs. Ella Kirby, of
Lindsay; Mrs. Ozie Orton, of Lindsay; Mrs. Frank Creech, of Tulare; Mrs.
Chidester, of Tulare; Mrs. John Klindera, of Tipton; Jefferson Thomas, of
Tulare ; Elmer, of Tulare; Ivan and Roy, members of their parents'
household; and Edwin, who is deceased. Mr. Thomas is a genial, whole-souled
man, whose friends admire him for the active interest which makes him
helpful to all local issues.
JAMES W WRIGHT
The birthplace of James W. Wright was Newton County, Mo. He was born October 29, 1855, a son of John Wesley and Margaret (Lindsey) Wright, natives of Kentucky. The family moved to Texas in 1857 and remained there until 1879, Mr. Wright starting the first blacksmith shop in Decatur, Wise County. The elder Wright came out from Missouri to California in 1852 and stopped in Hangtown. His, party started in the spring, with ox-teams, and was six months in making the journey. Indians stampeded their stock, most of which they never recovered, and were troublesome otherwise. A young man of the party fell ill of fever and was left in a tent near pure running water, of which he drank copiously, with the result that his fever was subdued and he recovered and eventually made his fortune in California gold mines. Crude law was established in the mining camp and swift justice, and sometimes injustice, was inflicted by self-constituted hangmen. Mr. Wright spent two years at Hangtown and at Georgetown, then returned to Newton County, Mo. From there he went eventually to Chico, Texas, where he engaged in the livery business. He had made some money in California, with which he got a good start in his new home, where he prospered satisfactorily and where he spent his last days.
James W. Wright first located, in 1879, in Pomona, Los Angeles County, remaining there until 1891, when he located in Inyo County and farmed, raised stock and mined for eighteen years. In 1909 he went to Dunlap, Fresno County. He married, May 29, 1883, in Los Angeles County, Joan Hickox, who was born on November 8, 1860, in Nueces County, Texas. They have nine children: Alfred W., Gilbert W., Walter L., Winfield, Florence C., Katie, Warren, Felix and Lois. Alfred W. married Mary Remkes, and they have three children, Viola, Gladys and Arthur. Gilbert W. married Alice P. Remkes, and they have two daughters, Iola and Grace. Walter L. and Winfield served in the United. States navy. The others are at home.
Ranching and stockraising were long Mr.
Wright's principal business. He is now the proprietor of a hotel and feed
barns in Dunlap and is materially adding to the capacity of his hotel by the
construction of additional rooms. As a business man he is highly respected
in his town, where he is prominent in the local Democracy and affiliates
with the Masonic order. He has in his possession a rocking chair in which he
was rocked when he was an infant and a gold nugget from a Placerville mine,
taken out in 1852 by his father-in-law, and other valuable relics of pioneer
days. Mrs. Wright's father, Alfred Hickox, a native of Illinois, went to
Texas in young manhood and from there came to California in 1852. After
mining for a time he returned to Texas and engaged in stockraising. He again
came overland to California in 1869, bringing with him his wife and four
children and a step-daughter. Mr. Hickox was captain of the train, which
suffered considerably at the hands of the Indians. He told afterward of a
young man of the party who killed a squaw and was given up to the Indians,
who took him away and he was never seen again. Another of his reminiscences
concerned an event in Arizona. Some emigrants dropped a wagon wheel in a
spring to tighten its tire; it dropped out of sight, and the prairie
schooner to which it belonged was abandoned by the trail side.
ALEXANDER CLARK ECCLES
Educated at Balmoral Agricultural College, Belfast, Ireland, an institution established under the patronage of Prince Albert, consort of the late Queen Victoria, Alexander Clarke Eccles, of Kings County, Cal., who was for a time horticultural commissioner for that County, was exceptionally well-fitted for the duties of that office and he is widely known as one of the scientific farmers of Central California.
It was at Belfast, Ireland, that Mr. Eccles was born March 21, 1854. He remained there until he was thirty years old, for a time devoting himself to practical farming. He came to the United States in 1884 and after tarrying briefly in Kansas and Oregon, came to Redding, Shasta County, Cal., where he became a naturalized American citizen. From Redding he went to Chico, Cal., and for three years was foreman on the fruit farm of General John Bidwell. Then he came to Kings County and set out thirty acres of vineyard, northeast of Hanford, one-third of which he received for his work. After that he was made superintendent of the Del Norte Vineyard & Fruit Company and was in charge of its one hundred and sixty acres of fruits and vines for twelve consecutive years. After the termination of that service he bought forty acres of land two miles and a quarter east of Lemoore and put his brain and hands to the work of its improvement. He now has thirteen acres in vineyard and ten acres in orchard. On this place he built a fine house and established his home. Later he bought eighty-five acres at Hardwick, which is under alfalfa and devoted to dairy purposes.
In 1909 Mr. Eccles was appointed horticultural commissioner of Kings County, an office which he filled with much ability and for the duties of which he had a distant liking, but which he was compelled in 1911 to resign because of impaired eyesight. Personally he is popular throughout the County, being a stockholder in the Kings County Fruit and Raisin Company, a member of the Knights of Pythias, Woodmen of the World and Foresters of America. He is a member of the Armona Baptist church. His career here has been one of success, as will be readily understood when the comparatively late date of his coming is considered in connection with the fact that when he arrived he had but one dollar and is now worth $40,000. In 1901 he married Miss Maggie May Chamberlain, who was born in the state of Washington but was then a resident of Kings County. They have three children; Alexander Clarke, Ruth May and William Sloan.
Note: According to the Great Grandson of Mr Eccles, there is no 'e' at the end of his middle Name.
To Quote: Alexander Clark Eccles (the subject of the book)who came from Ireland, was my great grandfather. His son, Alexander Clark Eccles is my grandfather. My father was Norman Clark, Alexander’s son. My aunt, knows much more information about my grandfather then I do. Interested family researchers may contact Michael Eccles. Updated: 6 June 2012
As favorably known through his connection with the Italian Swiss Company as through his identification with the Lemoore Chamber of Commerce and various fraternal organizations, John Brothers has won repute in Kings County, Cal., as a man of ability and efficiency, who may be depended upon to assist to the extent of his ability any movement which in his opinion promises to benefit any considerable number of his fellow citizens. He was born in Illinois, April 16, 1879, and was brought to California by his parents in 1883, when he was about four years old. He is a son of George A. Brothers, a veteran school teacher, who won success also as a farmer. His mother, Mary E. Brothers, also a teacher, became known as a. woman of much ability. The elder Mr. Brothers first came to this state in 1876 and immediately engaged in teaching. He went back to Illinois and in 1877 returned, bringing his family, and remained until 1880, though his wife returned before that time to their old home in the East. In 1883 they came to Lernoore and were both employed as teachers in the public schools of that city. Mr. Brothers had previously taught in Grangeville and in the Roades School district. He died January 19, 1911. The last eighteen years of his life he was engaged in the Government service and a large part of this time worked in the revenue service from the San Francisco Department of Internal Revenue.
It was in Lemoore that Mr. Brothers grew up and began his education in the public schools. Later he continued his studies at Fresno, where he was duly graduated from the high school. During his youth he worked in grocery stores in Fresno and Lemoore and gave considerable time to the acquisition of a practical knowledge of blacksmithing and of the butcher business. From time to time he worked on farms in the vicinity of Fresno and later was associated with his father in some agricultural enterprises. He obtained a complete knowledge of ranching, fruit-growing and stock-raising and by 1902 was well fitted to enter the employ of the Italian Swiss Colony as superintendent and local manager. In this connection he has had charge of the colony's fifteen hundred acres of land, six hundred and fifty acres of which is in vineyard, the remainder being devoted to the cultivation of barley and alfalfa. Mr. Brothers personally owns forty acres, two miles and a half northwest of Lemoore, which he has put under alfalfa and is farming with good results.
His solicitude for the advancement of
Lernoore impelled Mr. Brothers to consent to become a member of the board of
trustees of that town, in which office he has served eight years, four years
of the time as president of the board. He is one of the leading spirits in
the local Chamber of Commerce and is secretary of that body. With the fire
department of Lemoore he has always taken a helpful interest, and he is the
very efficient secretary of that organization also. Socially he. affiliates
with the Independent Order of Red Men and with the Woodmen of the World and
he is secretary of the local division of the first mentioned society. In
1903 he married Miss Iffie T. Foley, daughter of Dr. R. E. Foley, and they
have two children, George E. and Carolyn E. Brothers.
JAMES H MAY
Natives of the South have always been warmly welcomed to California and none more so than sons of Alabama. James H. May was born in the state just mentioned and went early in life to Montgomery County, Ark., where he was in office fourteen years either as tax collector or sheriff. When the Civil war began he issued a call for volunteers and quickly recruited a company of three hundred and thirteen men, only nine of whom returned to Arkansas alive. He rose to be a. major and later served as lieutenant-colonel of his regiment. Three of his sons were lost in the war, one being instantly killed in a charge within ten feet of the Union breastworks. In 1865 he became a cattleman in Texas, accumulated two thousand head of cattle, and prospered well until his business was ruined by dry seasons. He came to California in 1869 as captain of a train of ox- teams and later found in Tulare County some cattle that he had owned in Texas and marked with his brand "MAY," which had been driven overland by another man.
Mr. May left Texas with one hundred and ten families in his train. In Arizona all but seven of these families were killed by Indians or died from sickness. His account of these events was very interesting. Until 1874 he teamed at and near Porterville. Then he raised sheep and cattle until he was driven out of business by the dry season of 1877, when his stock died. He was for a number of years road master of his district and in 1879-80 built the road across the Blue Ridge in the mountains. He served also as constable in the Tule River district.
Miss Caroline Hockett, a sister of the famous John Hockett, who came to California before the discovery of gold, became the wife of Mr. May, and their children who survive are: James J.; Mrs. R. T. Hogancamp, of Bakersfield, Cal.; and Mrs. Victoria M. Clarke. There were other children who are now dead. The father passed away in 1888, the mother seven years earlier.
The only surviving son of James H. and Caroline (Hockett) May is James J. May, who lives a half a mile south of East Mineral King avenue, near Visalia. He, was born in Montgomery County, Ark., and assisted his father in the latter's farming operations until the elder May died in 1888. Then for a time he teamed in Kern County and afterward farmed ten years near Tipton and from there moved to Exeter, where for six years he operated the farming land on the Las Palomas ranch. He came to his present homestead in 1899. Here he owns forty acres which he has developed from wild, rough land to a productive ranch with an adequate irrigation system. He gives his attention prinpipally to fruit and has planted six acres to prunes, twenty to Bartlett pears and two to peaches.
Fraternally Mr. May affiliates with the
Masonic lodge at Visalia, Tulare City lodge No. 306, I. 0. 0. F., and the
local organization of the Woodmen of the World. As a citizen he is popular
and he has in a public-spirited way done much for the benefit of the
community. In 1885 he married Miss May E. Boas, a native of California,
whose father settled at Lemon Cove in the early '50s. She has borne him four
children: Loyal A.; Frank H.; Lena, who is the, wife of Arthur T. Dowse of
Oakland, and Ruby.
ALEXANDER WELLINGTON BASS
In Dallas County, Mo., Alexander Wellington Bass was born, October 30, 1861. It was in that County that he was reared and gained much of his education in the public school. When he was eighteen years old he accompanied his father to Boise City, Idaho, where he attended school two years longer. He early gained a knowledge of farming and at Boise City learned the carpenters' trade. Eventually he returned to Missouri and started back to Idaho by way of the coast in order to see California. He stopped off at Hanford March 9, 1888, and liking the town and the country round about obtained employment on a farm, where he worked several months. Then, locating in Hanford. he took up carpentering and after three years became a contractor and builder. Three years later he added house-moving to his business and that part of his work became so important that it gradually commanded all his time and attention. As a contractor he had for a partner J. D. Ellis, and they confined their operations mostly to building residences, of which they built as many in their period of activity as any concern in this part of the state. A s a house-mover his operations have extended throughout the San Joaquin valley from Bakersfield to Stockton and he was once awarded a four-month contract as far away as Santa Rosa.
As a Democrat Mr. Bass has been active in local and state politics for ten years. In 1909 he was elected to serve four years as a member of the board of trustees of Hanford. Fraternally he affiliates with Tent No. 40, K. 0. T. M., the Foresters of America, and the Woodmen of the World. He was long a member of the old Chamber of Commerce and has for twenty-one years been identified with the volunteer fire department of Hanford. For twelve years he has served without pay as a trustee of the Hanford Cemetery Association. When he was elected there was no fund even to pay the sexton, but because of his good management the association now has a surplus of $11,000 to $12,000 at interest, a fund for the up-keep of the cemetery.
September 6, 1888, Mr. Bass married Alice
Howard, daughter of John A. and Mary Howard and a native of Clarke County,
Mo. They have had six children: Earnest, born May 20, 1891; Ethel, July
1897; Edna, August 16, 1900; Anita, April 12, 1902; Clarence, who died in
1906, aged seventeen years; Avis, who died at the age of ten months. Earnest
is at home, and Ethel, Edna and Anita are attending school.
DANIEL M HERRIN
Incidental to our economic development of the last half century has been the evolution of the modern creamery, a corporate agency which has come to do the work of a large number of individuals. and to do it better and to give results of a more uniform quality than was possible under the old order of things. Creameries are located here and there throughout the County, none of them are very large or conspicuous, and none of them attracts attention by such loud and discordant noises as emanate from industrial plants of various other kinds. But the products of creameries are used everywhere by everybody, in such an immense volume that the statistics of the industry are almost staggering. However, it was not to comment at length on this subject that this article was begun, and what little has been said concerning it has been set down by way of showing how important a work has engaged the talents of Daniel M. Herrin for some time past.
Mr. Herrin was born in Marion County, Ind., July 2, 1862, and attended the public schools until he was nineteen years old. In 1891 he engaged in stock-raising and farming and gradually concerned himself in the creamery business. His interests in that way, small at first, increased until he was called to the management of the Tulare Creamery Company of Corcoran. He continued as the manager of the Corcoran plant of the Tulare Co-operative Creamery Company until March, 1912, when he resigned his position. He then organized the Lake View Creamery Company June 1, 1912, and began running regularly November 1 of that year.
This is a stock company incorporated under the laws of the State of California with a capital stock of $50,000.00 of which Mr. Niss Hanson is president, F. A. Cleveland of Corcoran, secretary and treasurer, and Daniel M. Herrin is manager. They have installed a car lot service and are now shipping and selling direct to the wholesale trade of Los Angeles their choice milk and cream products. A three-ton automobile truck transports their products from the plant, which is substantially constructed and built of concrete and equipped with the best of machinery and located six miles southwest of Corcoran, to the Santa Fe railway station. Thus expeditiously handled the said products net their patrons about four cents per pound of butter fat more than can be realized if sold to the creameries.
Mr. Herrin has been a citizen of Kings County
since December, 1910, and since that time has never failed to respond
liberally to any demand upon his public spirit. He is a Mason and socially
he is a favorite with all who know him. His business methods are such as to
appeal strongly to the farming community, and the institution of which he is
the head is one of the most popular in this part of the state and is
patronized more and more liberally with each passing year.
It was on Cache Creek, Yolo County, that Enoch Work was born November 8, 1851, a son of Hopkins and Martha (Parker) Work, natives respectively of Tennessee and Kentucky. They came across the plains with ox-teams from the latter state in 1849, stopping at Hangtown and later at Georgetown and eventually moved to Yolo County, whence they came in 1859 to Tulare County and settled near Kaweah. The elder Work engaged in farming and stock-raising in that neighborhood and prospered there until 1873, when he homesteaded land on Mill Creek, Fresno County, but soon relinquished the title which was taken and perfected by his son Enoch. He bought an additional one hundred and sixty acres, increasing his holding to three hundred and twenty acres. This property they improved and it has been the family home to this time. When they- came, only the Baker and Turner families lived in the neighborhood and there was no settlement at Dunlap. Cattle and horses roamed everywhere at will, there was an abundance of wild game and bear were so plentiful that Mr. Work lassoed one in the road and led him home, a feat which his cousin soon duplicated. These animals were made food for hogs. The early settlers killed many deer.
One hundred acres of Mr. Work's land is
devoted to farming, nine acres to orchard, peaches, pears and apples being
the principal fruit, the remainder being under timber and pasture grass. He
keeps thirty head of horses and cattle and one hundred and fifty hogs. In politics Mr.
Work is non-partisan. As a citizen he is public-spirited and helpful and he
was for some time school trustee in the Mill Creek district. He married, in
Drum valley, Miss Alma Fenwick, a native of Illinois. They have ten
children: Angeline, Polly, Sarah Nettie, Thomas, Nicholas, Leora, Alma,
Daisy, Orville and June Angeline married Frank Hutchinson and bore him a son
and a daughter; J. W. Howell is her present husband. Polly married W. L.
McElroy and has two children. Sarah Nettie is the wife of C. H. McElroy and
has one son. Thomas married Alma B. Howell and they have one child. Leora is
the wife of Frank McHaley. Two of the younger children of Mr. Work are
STEPHEN E HENLEY
Born in Scott County, Iowa, in 1858, Stephen E. Henley of Porterville, Tulare County, Cal., attended the public schools near his home during the years of his boyhood and when quite young engaged in the stock business, raising and selling cattle. He continued in that line in his native state until 1901, when he came to California. Locating at Porterville, he bought three tracts of land, one of twenty acres set to oranges, one of eighty and one of forty acres. In 1907 he sold this property, retaining only mining rights on eighty acres. His mining claim consists of a twelve-foot ledge of high grade china clay, an outcropping of spar, suitable for the making of porcelain and dishes. When he came to the County and had looked around a little he concluded that there was more ore here than more experienced miners would have believed, but he prospected for six years before he found what he was looking for, then opened the ledge known as the "Lost Squaw." He has been offered $12,000 for the claim, but says that with $20,000 exposed to sight he could not sell at such a figure. While Mr. Henley had the direction of the matter, his son, 0. F. Henley, and Budd Creeks actually discovered the ledge. He originated the Tulare County Power Company and was the first man of this company to file on the water rights of the Tule river, by which power has been developed and is being transmitted three hundred miles and used for pumping plants and other purposes. He sold out his interest in the company in 1911.
Mr. Henley's wife was Laura M. Hartley, a native of Johnson County, Iowa, and their marriage was solemnized in that state in 1880. They have five children, all of whom live in California. 0. Floyd married Edith Bursell and has two children, Alta and Alberta ; his home is in Tulare County. Ada married Charles Roberts, and has two children, Ray and Alice May. May is Mrs. Bert Hoover, of Tulare County, and has one daughter, Aysha. Minnie is the wife of Ash Crabtree and has three children, Ramona, Clair and Emory. Maud is Mrs. Floy Wyer of Modesto, who has one son, Cecil. Mrs. Henley's parents were natives of Iowa.
The story of the event that was instrumental
in bringing Mr. Henley to California is not the least interesting feature of
his biography. In 1889, while he was living in Northwest Iowa, he was
caught by a terrific storm that carried damage to a wide and long stretch of
country and fell under a nearly fatal lightning stroke. After that he was
long in the hospital, and when, at length, he was discharged he had lost
the use of his limbs, partly from paralysis caused by his accident, and
partly from disuse, and was so impaired in health and vitality that his
physicians advised him to seek the recuperative influence of a milder
CHARLES R BLAMQUIST
This well-known contractor, builder and farmer of Tulare, Cal., was born in Sweden, January 8, 1866, and was there educated and fully instructed in the trade of the wagon maker. In 1884, when he was about twenty-two years old, he came to the United States and locating in St. Paul, Minn.,' found employment at his trade. In the fall of 1890 he went to Montana and there began his career as a contractor and builder. From 1891 to 1893 he devoted his energies to that business in Seattle, Wash., then came to Los Angeles, Cal., and acquired a half interest in the Los Angeles Fertilizer Company, which he retained until 1897. Then, disposing of his interests in Los Angeles, he went up to Lincoln and Yakima counties, Wash., where during the ensuing fourteen years he devoted himself to grain and stock-raising on eight hundred acres of land, occasionally doing a little building in order that his hand might not lose its cunning. We find him next at Klamath Falls, Ore., where he lived nine months and thence came to Tulare in July, 1909. Here he has devoted his attention principally to building, though in December, 1911, he bought forty acres of land two miles southeast of Tulare which he planted to alfalfa and is developing for dairy purposes.
At Tulare Mr. Blamquist has built twelve
houses and he has built two others in the country nearby. Among these are
the residences of N. E. Stanley, Mrs. N. Anderson, E. S. Higdon, Mrs. West
and Mr. Martin, and also two for Charles Henley; the house which he erected
for Alfred Crawford also deserves mention. By doing work in every way
satisfactory he is gaining the confidence of the public, and his continued
success is by no means in doubt. He affiliates with the Order of Fraternal
Aid and in other ways manifests an interest in the social and business
affairs of his community. At Pasadena in 1897 he married Miss Margaret V.
Smith and they have the following children : Georgia, Miller and Newland.
The success which Mr. Blamquist has achieved is purely that of the self-made
man who is alert for opportunities and quick to grasp them, honest and
straightforward in his dealings with his fellow citizens, and he commands
respect by showing respect for the rights and opinions of others. He has in
many ways shown an admirable public spirit.
GUSTAVUS A RICHARDSON
In San Jose, Santa Clara County, Cal., Gustavus A. Richardson was born January 12, 1856, a son of Roswell and Louisa (Rodgers) Richardson. His father was a native of Plymouth, N. H., born June 24, 1797, a grandson of Samuel Richardson, who with his brothers, Ezekiel and Thomas, founded the town of Woburn, Mass., in 1641. Louisa Rodgers became his wife in 1849, in Clark County, Mo. In 1855 they came to California across the plains. After living in Santa Clara County three years, they moved to Tulare County, where Mr. Richardson died, July 4, 1877. His widow married George W. Hayden and died June 4, 1881, and was buried in the North Tule cemetery. There were born to Mr. and Mrs. Richardson four children: Martha Matilda, born September 15, 1850, died in 1863; Georgiana, born August 8, 1862, died July 5, 1888; Benjamin. Franklin, born October 30, 1854, died November 2, 1880; and Gustavus A. is the immediate subject of this article.
A common school education was all that was afforded Gustavus, A. Richardson in the days of his youth and he was only a small lad when he began to assist his father in the work of the ranch. When he was sixteen years old he took a bunch of horses to Salt Lake City and sold them and came back to Tulare County, being the only one to make the entire trip of the eight who started. In 1875 he went to Arizona and remained there until 1881, when he returned to Tulare County, where he controlled ranches until 1884. Then he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land on the North Tule river, where he farmed about twenty years, during which period he added to his acreage by various purchases. At this time his ranch is one of the best and most productive in its vicinity. The family home has been in Porterville since 1911.
October 1, 1888, Mr. Richardson was appointed
postmaster at Milo, Cal., and held the office until January 1, 1908, when he
was succeeded by F. M. Ainsworth, in whose interest he had resigned, October
1, 1907. Politically he is Republican. Fraternally he affiliates with the
Knights of Pythias, and is a charter member of Porterville lodge, No. 93, of
that order. He married at Visalia, June 2, 1884, Mary Agnes (Braden)
Ainsworth, daughter of John Braden, and widow of Andrew E. Ainsworth. Mrs
Ainsworth, who was a native of Kansas, had a son (A. E. Ainsworth) by her
first marriage. He was born January 16, 1877, was graduated at the Stockton
Business College and when he was only eighteen years old was awarded a
teachers' diploma. He taught successfully in public schools until his death,
which occurred December 9, 1899. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Richardson, all natives of Tulare County: Roswell Guy, born at Milo February
22, 1886, was educated in the public schools and at the Oakland Polytechnic.
Gustavus Alvah, born at Milo, February 5, 1888, was graduated from public
schools at fourteen, and from the Porterville high school at nineteen and
was a student at the Potts Business College in 1909-10, and has since been
employed by the Pasadena Ice Company. Eunice Marguerite, born at Milo, June
21, 1890, was graduated from public schools at thirteen and from the
Porterville high school in her eighteenth year. She married Wilko Cutler
Knupp at Porterville, September 22, 1908. Her child, Benora Knupp, was born
May 31, 1909 ; Mrs. Knupp later entered the State Normal school at Los
Angeles and was graduated from there June 23, 1911, and is now teaching in
Tulare County. Rosgoe Vinton Richardson, born at Milo, April 11, 1896, had
two terms in the high school at Pasadena and is now attending the
Porterville high school. While the children were attending schools in
Southern California, Mr. Richardson purchased and maintained a home in
Pasadena, which he still owns
Tulare and Kings Counties, California with Biographical Sketches
History By Eugene L Menefee and Fred A Dodge
Los Angeles, Calif., Historic Record Company, 1913
Transcribed by: Martha A Crosley Graham - Pages 471 - 511
This Web page is sponsored by Supporters on behalf of the California portion of The USGenWeb Project by The Administrative Team of the CAGW. Although believed to be correct as presented, if you note any corrections, changes, additions, or find that any links provided on this page are not functioning properly please contact the Archive Coordinator for prompt attention to the matter.