Cemeteries in Tehema County
Members of the Tehama County Genealogical and Historical Society have done an unbelievable job of transcribing the various cemeteries found in Tehama County. I have asked for their permission to post already transcribed lists on this site. If granted, I will quickly provide copies of lists of 'residents' for the cemeteries transcribed by this organization.
In the mean time, here is a listing of cemeteries for Tehama County:
- BELLE MILL CEMETERY -
Also known as the Lyonsville Cemetery is located in T28N, R2E, Sec 4, about 13 miles east of Paynes Creek- it is estimated that about 113 people are buried at this cemetery. (From Red Bluff take Hwy. 36 East toward Susanville. turn right to Paynes Creek. Turn atfirst right, cross the bridge to Plum Creek Road. Continue on Plum Creek Road about 10 miles. You will pass through a small group of houses and there is a Y intersection. Stay right and drive 1 more mile until you see a sign on your left, Turner Ranch & Tramway Road. Turn here. Follow road 1 1/2 miles until you see a cattle chute.Turn right on the dirt road to the cemetery. Take mosquito repellent and a stick for rattlesnakes in the summer. )
- CARTER CEMETERY - see VINA
- ELMORE CEMETERY (US GenWeb Archives)
- KIRKWOOD (US
GenWeb Archives) -
South of CORNING on Hall Road - This cemetery was laid out in 1894 by William W. Watkins, an early Kirkwood settler. The first burial was of L.J. Merrill on 2 October 1891. It is an active cemetery maintained by the Kirkwood Cemetery District.
- LOS MOLINOS CEMETERY (USGenWeb
Taft Avenue at 7835 Hwy 99E, 1 mile north of Los Molinos - active cemetery. The first burial there was that of William Thomas Foster who died 15 October 1921. For further information contact the Los Molinos Cemetery District at (530) 384-1864.
- LYONSVILLE CEMETERY - see Belle Mill Cemetery
- MANTON CEMETERY -
on Manton School Road in Manton, CA - active cemetery. The first burial was that of William J. Stone on 20 June 1877. For further information contact the cemetery at (530) 474-3415 or e-mail to email@example.com
- NOME LACKEE RESERVATION -
west of Paskenta. It is a semi-active private cemetery.
- OAK HILL CEMETERY - RED BLUFF (US GenWeb Archives)
located on Cemetery Lane south off W. Walnut Street in Red Bluff, CA. It was established in 1859 by the Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges of Red Bluff and completed in 1861 with A.B.C. Nusbaum as Superintendent. The first property was purchased from A.H. Webb on 27 Dec. 1859. Bodies were moved to this site from the Red Bluff cemetery at Main and Elm streets, and from the Oak Street burial grounds (see below). The first lots were sold to James S. Johnston and the second ones to G.L. and L.M. Potter. For further information contact the Red Bluff Cemetery District at (530) 527-4417. These photos and records may also be viewed at http://calarchives4u.com/.
- PASKENTA CEMETERY (US GenWeb Archives)
(Drive west from Corning toward Paskenta, 18 miles. Just before reaching Paskenta on your right is the Paskenta Cemetery Rd. Turn right to cemetery.)
- RED BLUFF MEMORIAL CHAPEL MAUSOLEUM -
located within the main gate of the the Oak Hill Cemetery but is privately owned and is not managed by the Oak Hill Cemetery staff. For further information contact Chapel of the Flowers staff at 816 Walnut St., Red Bluff, 530-527-1174..
- ST. MARY'S CEMETERY - RED BLUFF
located west of Red Bluff off Walnut Street, on Hook Road - active cemetery maintained by Red Bluff Cemetery District. The cemetery was established in the late 1880s during the pastorship of Father Quinn and the first burial there was for John Barry of Cottonwood on 15 November 1888 and in whose memory the statue of the Virgin Mary was placed there by his family. The gate and archway were donated by the Silva family in memory of Jesse L. Silva. For further information contact the Red Bluff Cemetery District at 530-527-4417.
- SUNSET HILL CEMETERY - CORNING -
on the southeast corner of Solano Street and Oren Avenue in Corning, CA - active cemetery maintained by Corning Cemetery District. The earliest burial was for Victor B. Cannon on 14 July 1883. For further information contact the Corning Cemetery District at 530-824-2255.
- TEHAMA CEMETERY -
West of the town of Tehama CA at 7772 Woodland Ave - active cemetery. Robert H. Thomes deeded the property on 13 February 1875. The earliest recorded burial was that of Garreth Smith on 16 November 1857, though many earlier burials had been made there dating back to the late 1840s. In April 1872 the Odd Fellows and Masonic Lodges joined to form the first cemetery district with the first board composed of J.S. Storrs, Charles Harvey and John Simpson with John N. Montgomery as President and A.O. White, chairman.
Many of the graves are marked “unknown” or markers have been lost due to fire, although many impressive monuments remain in tribute to early pioneers. A Chinese section was part of this cemetery and occupied about one acre. It was perhaps the largest Chinese burial grounds in Tehama County, very little trace remains. For further information contact the Tehama Cemetery District at 530-385-1200.
- VINA CEMETERY -
Near community of Vina, CA on Reed Orchard Rd -active cemetery. It is possibly the oldest active cemetery in Tehama County with the first burial there in 1849. This is also the smallest public cemetery. The cemetery is often referred to as the Carter Cemetery, named after Lemuel M. Carter, an early resident of the area, whose wife Isabell was buried there on 7 April 1858. (Drive South from Los Molinos about 8 miles to a large
red barn on your right. It was a steak house, but who knows now. Turn left on
Vina Road, follow the cemetery signs.)
- ANDERSON RANCH CEMETERY -
located north of Rowles Rd, west of SPRR tracks, inactive - 12 known graves - on private property
- CAMERON FAMILY CEMETERY -
(Drive Hwy 36 East from Red Bluff toward Susanville. Turn right to Paynes Creek. Turn right on Plum Creek Road. Follow Plum Creek Road to Hogsback/Finley Lake sign. Turn right. Keep on Hogsback road for about 2 miles. Cemetery is on the right just past the boundary fence of Lassen National Forest. It is surrounded by a wire fence. It is 5 miles from the Plum Creek Turnoff. Do not continue on Hogsback Road, go back the way you came.)
10 graves (refer to 1998 Tehama County Memories...
Name Birth Death Misc. Cameron, J.D. 1862 1939 Cameron, W.W. 1860 1909 Brother Cameron, Guy 1872 1906 Brother Cameron, Elizabeth 1839 1884 Wife of Thomas Cameron Cameron, Thomas 1819 1884 Cameron, Robert Lee 1864 1921 Baby Cameron, J. T. 1868 1946 Davis, James A. 1857 1925 Father
- CHINESE CEMETERY -
while Oak Hill and Tehama Cemeteries had separate sections for the Chinese burials; there WAS a separate cemetery located east of Vina at the cross roads of the Tehama-Vina Road. It is believe that all were disinterred and their remains returned to China. This now sits on private property.
- DURRER RANCH - see Rosewood Cemetery
- EATON RANCH -
near the Alonzo Eaton Home on Red Bank Creek - two Doyle girls and Ella Rambo are buried here.
- ELMORE CEMETERY -
on north side of Long Hollow Road - inactive - 51 known graves - on private property, owners do not allow entry at this time
- FLOURNOY FAMILY -
¼ mile west of Flournoy community - 7 known graves - on private property
- FREEMAN FAMILY -
600 feet south of Henleyville townsite on private property- 4 known graves - Elizabeth Freeman (wife of John) 1831-1873 and Hannah Jane Small (wife of David) 1853-1872.
- INKS CREEK -
Joseph Long Ranch between Dales Station & Manton - 3 known graves, Frank C. Long (son of Joseph A. and Julia Musick Long) 1872-1881 and Elisha Abbott 1883-1893.
- LANES VALLEY -
on Lanes Valley Road - 2 graves, Charles Gibbons (1900-1901) and Mary Rouse, wife of Lewis, (1835-1907).
- LASSEN EMIGRANT CEMETERY-is the oldest burial ground in Tehama County and was located on the Lassen Trail north of Dry Creek and south of Mill Creek to the east of the Lassen Ranch and used as early as 1848 as the final resting place for early travelers. The diary of J. Goldsboro Bruff states the burials are “under oak trees at the rear of Lassen's wheat field.” Side by side are the graves of the Flemming brothers, Dr. Marshall, and near it Dr. Harvey. The body of John C. Spence, a Frenchman from Oregon, was placed there on 6 June 1850. There are 3 modern monuments.
- LOWREY CEMETERY (US GenWeb Archives) - West of Red Bluff on Cemetery Road, one mile southwest of Lowrey. Melissa, the wife of Edward DeHaven, was the first buried there on 1 April 1880. For further information contact the Oak Hill Cemetery District at (530) 527-4417. (Drive West of Red Bluff toward Red Bank 12 miles or so. Turn right on Lowry Cemetery Rd. Follow road to cemetery.)
- MINERAL - near the Lassen Volcanic National Park headquarters. Among those buried there are Susan Cunningham (wife of James Reid) died 1866; Mary Westrope died 1877; and Emma Aloot Morgan 1843-1911.
- RED BANK CEMETERY -
on Red Bank Road 15 miles southwest of Red Bluff (Drive West from Red Bluff on Walnut Street. Turn left on Red Bank road. Drive about 13 miles to Red Bank Community. The cemetery is right off the road on your right.)
Name Birth Death Misc. Danielson, Emma 1835 1911 Wife of Andrew Eaton, Mary Ann Duffy 1930 Wife of J.J. Riley, William H 1856 1923 Son of Peter Ternsted, Amy 07/24/1893 11/07/1918 Ternsted,Ella Danielson 1870 1921 Wife of Frank A.
- RED BLUFF CEMETERY (OLD) -
the first graveyard in Red Bluff was located on Main Street and south of Elm Street. The bodies buried there were later moved to the OAK HILL CEMETERY and included: John W. Aekors (died 1856); Lilly Aekors (died 1857); Alfred J. Walton (died 1856); Susan J. Walton (died 1857); Lella A. Williams (died 1856, the daughter of John N. and Arville Williams); John N. Williams (died 1856, son of John N. Williams); William Potter Jr (died 1857); Tully Poore (died 1858, son of George A. and Margaret Poore); Leon E. Estes (died 1859, son of L.C. and M. Estes); James C. Vestal (1852-1859, son of Alexander and Samira Vestal); Georgene Hoag (1858-1859, daughter of George W. and A. J. Hoag).
- ROSEWOOD CEMETERY -
off Highway 36 on Durrer Ranch -known burials include Elizabeth Schanick Durrer (wife of Joseph Durrer) 1853-1931; Joseph Durrer (son of Antone and Madeline Alderwood Durrer) 1851-1930; Jacob Schanick (1814-1898); Carl Durrer 1894-1891; and Dominick Heinzer 1864-1930.