Roy Wilsey was the fifth child born to Eugene and Eliza Wilsey. He was born on December 5, 1889, at their home 20 miles east of Redding on Cedar Creek. When Roy was old enough to go to school the family moved to Redding for the winter so he went to the first grade in town. By the time he was ready to start the second grade, the family had homesteaded the place on Cow Creek and he went to Eureka School on Highway 299E on the Lemm Place. When he was 18 he helped build the ranch house which later became the house in which all of his daughters and son grew up.
In the spring of 1908 Roy went to Willows, where he worked as a carpenter
and after passing the civil service exam, worked in the Post Office. In
the winter of 1909, when he went home for Christmas, he met Lottie Sutton,
who was teaching the French Creek School and was boarding
with the Wilsey Family.
Lottie Sutton was the daughter of Ab and Julia Sutton. She was born in Fall River Mills, April 14, 1889. The family later moved to Anderson where she went to school and then in 1911 moved to Orland. As Roy was living in Willows they saw each other occasionally and kept in touch
through the mail. On February 10, 1912, they were married in the Sutton home in Orland. They rode the train to Redding and spent their honeymoon at the Golden Eagle Hotel and the Wilsey Ranch, at Bella Vista.
From 1913 to 1920 Roy worked in the Post Office and as a carpenter. During this time four daughters and a son were born. In 1920 the family moved to the Wilsey ranch to help Eugene Wilsey whose health was failing. After his father's death in 1921, Roy bought the farm from his mother. At the time of his son Clarence's death in 1946, Roy sold the ranch and moved to Redding. He and Lottie, owned and operated Kiddieland Amusement Park fort 13 years, then they gave it to the Y.M.C.A.
Roy and Lottie were active in community affairs: they were members of the Redding Presbyterian Church and had the responsibility of the Bella Vista Sunday School for many years. In 1930 Roy helped organize the Millville Grange and Served as its leader for 4 years. He was appointed by Gov. Olson and served on the Shasta District Fair Board for 8 Years. Roy was active in the Gideons for 20 years and served as County Supervisor from 1954 to 1958.
Lottie died on December 9, 1966 and Roy December 11, 1980. Their graves are in the Redding Cemetery.
Source: Shasta Historical Society