William Harvey Tuggle
William Harvey Tuggle was born in Fayette County, Kentucky on February 29, 1824. He was a child of James Mickleborough and Margaret Elizabeth Morgan Tuggle. His Family moved to Missouri in early childhood then to Iowa and he became a livery stable man. William Harvey Tuggle was married to Melinda Ferrel Johnson in Keokuk, Iowa. Melinda was a widow with two children.
In the year 1862, the Tuggle family came by horse team and in an emigrant train to California. Other members of the train included the pioneer Collins family of Red Bluff, Tehama County. After a rest period at Sutter's Fort, the train came north. Melinda had two siblings who were engaged in the millwright business her siblings arrived in Shasta County in the early 1850s.
Arriving at the town of Shasta the Tuggle family weren't able to touch base with Melinda's brothers. They headed back to Cottonwood and sat up camp that night. Eventually they were able to meet and reminisce about old times.
William Harvey Tuggle pioneered in Red Bluff too. The family owned and operated a livery stable on Walnut street on the block west of the Penny store, at that time a spot quite remote from the main drag, near the boat landing. The Tuggle livery stable was built by John W. Dinsmore and Merriman Ferrel, a brother of Melinda Tuggle.
William Harvey Tuggle, a bit later, also started operating the Four Mile House near Shasta, which was built by Dinsmore. William and Melinda Tuggle's children attended school at the Klotz Mill Schoolhouse, located on a site near Klotz Mill, when Sam Witherow was the teacher. There was a teacher named Mr. Burr, who was paid for by M.B. Vilas and Rudolph Klotz.
Tuggle was an experienced teamster and a good horseman, who began hauling lumber from Red Bluff to Sacramento and sometimes Marysville, via the Adam, Lean and Jelly ferries. Tuggle was becoming well established in the north state, he sold his business and moved to Shingletown.
William Harvey Tuggle bought the old Mitchell place and made it their home. Later, he sold the Mitchell/Tuggle place and bought the Thomas (Steve Brand) residence. This home was located two miles east of Shingletown. On this property the Tuggle family built a milk barn over spring from which flows the entire head waters of Baldwin Creek. The Tuggle family sold this property to E.H. Ward on December 12, 1883.
From 1884 to 1898, the Tuggle family rented the Krook's place. From 1899 to 1901 William and Melinda Tuggle bought some property in Parkville, a small community that used to exist just south of Millville, and buit a home there.
William Harvey Tuggle died in May of 1900 in Parkville. He is interred in the Parkville Pioneer Cemetery. His wife Melinda Ferrel Johnson Tuggle died in March of 1901. She was interred at the Parkville Pioneer Cemetery next to her husband. William and Melinda Tuggle had eight children, some of their descendants still live in either Shasta or Tehama Counties.

Contributed by Jeremy M. Tuggle
Resource "Rooted In Shasta County" by Jeremy M. Tuggle published by Preserving Memories in 2003, 2nd Edition 2004

Biography Index