Carrie was born in 1857 in French Gulch of parents, Erastus and Lydia
Shattuck Dickinson, who lived in Massachusetts and New York prior to their
move to Shasta Co. They homesteaded Dickinson Point, now known as Francis
Carr Powerhouse. The Dickinsons moved to Redding in 1872, building the
first home in the new City of Redding. There, Francis and Carrie married
June 10, 1877. Nine children were born to Francis and Carrie:
|Bert||b. 1877||d. 1878|
|Carrie||b. 1878||d. 1878|
|Jenny Pearl||b. 1879||d. 1918|
|Lilly||b. 1880||d. 1880|
|William Willard||b. 1881||d. 1976|
|Charles Frances||b. 1882||d. 1976|
|Harry Edgar||b. 1884||d. 1950|
|Lottie Edith||b. 1890||d. 1974|
|Russell Sidney||b. 1893|
They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary there in 1927. At that time Francis was the oldest citizen of Redding counting years of residence.
Francis continued in construction, building the Stone Power Substation on Parkview Dr. He was active at his trade for over thirty years on up into his seventies.
Francis died July 4, 1936. Carrie died May 1934. Both are buried in the Redding Cemetery.
The Dickinson home has remained in the Thompson family four generations. Thompson's men's store is now located next door. Russell Thompson, ninth and last child, was born there and remains the current resident.
Source: Shasta Historical Society