Peter F. Terbush a native of New York was born about 1820. Terbush was one of the earliest settlers of Shasta County arriving in the Fall of 1849. The forty-niner spent the Winter mining away on the Trinity River but did not strike any valuable claims in that territory. Terbush returned to Shasta County the following year, and in the general election of 1852 he became a Deputy County Assessor.
His occupation was farming and he owned a ranch located on Dry Creek in Western Shasta near Piety Hill, which is now the relocated town of Igo. It was Peter F. Terbush and John C. Spencer a resident of Horsetown, that founded the Eagle Creek Debating Club in 1861. Spencer was the proprietor of the Spencer Hotel at Horsetown, located in the Clear Creek territory.
The Eagle Creek Debating Club gathered in the Eagle Creek School house, to debate about news of local interest, and this was not a private club it was open to the public. The settlement of Eagle Creek became the town of Ono in 1883.
The forty-niner died at Shasta
City on January 1, 1866, due to paralysis from injuries of the spine.
Terbush left a widow and five children to mourn his death. Burial was made
in the Igo Cemetery.
Contributed by Jeremy M. Tuggle
Resource: The Shasta Courier, Saturday, January 6, 1866. Obituary of Peter F. Terbush.
The Northern Argus, Saturday, April 20, 1861.