Later he went the Dog Creek area as a miner, and fathered two daughters
before his first wife, Lucy Buttons died in 1878.
|Lilly||b. 1871||d. 1967||m. George Grafton|
Sperry, then bought property half wat up Slate Creek Canyon, where he
and his second wife Martha Alexander, a Wintu Indian of the area cared
for his two daughters and eight more children of theirs.
|Della||b. 1878||d. 1915||m.Gilbert Whitlow|
|Homer||b. 1880||d. 1954||m. Goldie|
|Ruby||b. 1885||m. Edward Walters|
|Myrtle||b. 1887||d. 1915||m. Charlie Morgan|
|Clarence||b. 1889||d. 1967||m. Lucylle Engle|
|Albert||b.1895||m. Augusta Elder|
The first schoolhouse at Slate Creek (La Moine) was a small cabin made of big timbers and shakes on the Sperry ranch, just west of the present high power lines. The second schoolhouse was just east of the first on land donated by Sperry.
Sheldon and Martha both remained in La Moine until their deaths; he died in 1909 and martha survived until 1941.
Many descendants of the Sperrys still live in the La Moine area. Della's husband, Gilbert was the son of Francis Whitlow who owned the Whitlow stage stop at La Moine on the west side of the Sacramento River between Slate Creek and Little Slate Creek. Della and Gilbert raised six children: Earl, Ben, Bernice, Gilbert Junior, Shelda, and Thelma.
Albert Sperry and Lilly Sperry Grafton both remained on or near the Sperry ranch until their deaths.
Source: Shasta Historical Society