Santa Barbara County
Historical Marker #306 - Burton Mound - Santa Barbara, CA
Location: 129 W Mason St
at Burton Circle, Santa Barbara
Thought to have once been the Indian village of Syujtun, this site has yielded some of the most important archeological evidence found in California.
In 1542 the village was recorded by Cabrillo while on his voyage of discovery, and again in 1769 by Fr. Crespí and the redoubtable Portolá.
Don Luís Burton, after whom the mound was named, acquired the property in 1860.
This page was last updated July 26, 2009.