Obituaries - W

Today is: part of CA GenWeb



Below you will find a complilation of obituaries gathered from various newspapers throughout Placer County. If YOU have an obituary for a Placer County resident and would like to addit to this collection, please contact the county coorinators.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 8-31-1927
Beloved Pioneer Woman Called to Great Beyond in the Passing of Fredericka J. Wachtel August 27th at the Age of 79 Years

In the passing of Fredericka J. Wachtel, one of the oldest residents of the community will be greatly missed by the large family of relatives and by neighbors and friends of many years’ acquaintanceship, for Mrs. Wachtel had lived for fifty-five years in the very house in which she died on Thursday, August 25, 1927, at the age of seventy-nine years. She passed away at her home which has always been designated as the “17 mile house” on the old Auburn Boulevard. Mrs. Wachtel left her native land, Germany, at the age of nine and came first to New York and then around the Horn to Sacramento. She has been identified for the past 69 years with the life of the Sylvan, Citrus Heights and Roseville communities, having married and raised a large family, four children of whom survive here. They are Mrs. F. Brown, Mrs. Charles King, Mrs. J. M. Scott, and Chris Wachtel. Her grandchildren now living are Mrs. Emma Mack, Mrs. T. A. Crowder, Mrs. Albert Cabeal, Henry Schnabel, Glen King, Dan Scott, Derver and Fred Wachtel. Great-grandchildren are Marion and Charlotte Crowder and Marjorie Cabeal. Mrs. Wachtel is also survived by the following brothers and sisters:  Chris, Charles, Gottfried, and Hannah Zeh and Mrs. Charles Keehner. The funeral was held on Sunday at 2:00 PM from the chapel of Broyer & Magner. Rev. Carl Geisser, pastor of the Church of God, conducted the services, and music was by the choir of the same church. Interment was in the Sylvan Cemetery. Her five grandsons and one very close friend, George Yantis, served as pall bearers.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-6-1916

Mrs. Ida E. Waddell passed away suddenly at Rocklin on New Year’s day at the age of 62 years. She was the wife of James Waddell and besides her husband leaves to mourn her death two daughters, Mrs. Peck and Mrs. Myrtle Rittenhauer, and a son, James C. Waddell. She was a native of New York and a member of the Congregational Church. She was also a member of the Women’s Relief Corps of Newcastle and of the Rebekah degree of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. She had been for a long time the secretary of the Women’s Improvement Club of Rocklin. Loved by all with whom she came in contact, she leaves a host of very close friends to mourn her death. The funeral was held at Rocklin at the Congregational Church and was largely attended.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 10-28-1876
Sudden Death

George Waggoner was found dead on the porch of his cabin near the Auburn gravel mine Thursday morning. Mr. Waggoner has been suffering from consumption for some time and was in the County Hospital till recently but tired of the inactivity or thinking himself better, he left without the physician’s permission, and taking up his abode in the cabin above mentioned, went to chopping wood. No one lived with him, but near neighbors saw him about as usual on Wednesday evening. Thursday morning he was discovered lying on the porch in his night clothes dead. An examination showed that he had died from bleeding of the lungs. A basin by the head of his bed was nearly filled with blood, a stream of blood marked his way from his bed to the door, and where he lay, a pool of blood showed how his life had ebbed away. Mr. Waggoner was a single man and leaves no relatives that we know of. His remains were taken charge of by Coroner Swett who, upon examination, found the facts as above stated and gave the body a decent burial.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 11-10-1877
Another Murder

It is our painful duty to announce another of those terrible crimes by which the majesty of the law has been grossly outraged of late, the morals of our population shocked, and its fair fame sullied. One man has been hurled into eternity unprepared, and another finds a place in a felon’s cell, and the families of both slayer and victim are plunged into the depths of unspeakable woe. The crime we have now to chronicle was perpetrated at Gold Bar—formerly known as Mammoth Bar—on the Middle Fork of the American River, seven or eight miles from here; last Sunday afternoon about half-past two o’clock, under the following circumstances, as near as we can learn. Something more than a year ago, Mr. Nelson V.  Waggoner located a claim at the place above mentioned. An interest in this claim was acquired by Paschal Varnum in August last. Subsequently both parties appear to have bonded the mine to a third party, who has been endeavoring to sell the same in New York. Recently, this party wrote to the owners asking an extension of time in paying for the claim. To this Varnum objected until he should receive a bonus of $1,000 extra. Some ill feeling between the partners—Waggoner and Varnum—was thus engendered, although they are represented as having been on terms of intimate friendship previously. This was several weeks ago. Since that time, Varnum, with his family, had been living at Smith’s Hotel at Auburn Station. On the day above mentioned, Mr. Waggoner, in company with a couple of gentlemen, was returning from the claim and while passing the place where Varnum had dwelt, the latter, who had gone there that morning from Auburn, stepped to the door and accosting the party, asked Waggoner if he had said that “Varnum might go to h__l.” Waggoner said he had. Varnum told him to take it back and either said he would shoot him if he did not or made a threatening motion to do so. The parties were close together at the time, and Mr. Terry, one of the companions of Waggoner, entreated Varnum with whom he was also on friendly terms, not to shoot. Waggoner said he would take nothing back and Varnum might shoot if he wanted to. Scarcely had the words been uttered before Varnum hastily raised his pistol and shot him in the breast. Waggoner fell, moaned a few times, and expired. The slayer, after writing some letters to friends, came to town and gave himself up. He is a man of 45 and a native of New Hampshire. He has a wife and four children. Deceased was a New Yorker, 42 years of age. He also was a man of family, leaving a wife and one child, a boy of about 4 years. Mr. Waggoner is spoken of by everybody as having been a peaceable, good citizen. His corpse was placed in a coffin and brought to Auburn Station Monday night by a committee of the Good Templars of Auburn, deceased having been a member of that order. Next day the remains were conveyed to You Bet, Nevada County, for interment, where deceased formerly dwelt. The Hon. T. P. Blue, ex-Assemblyman from that county and a resident of You Bet, was brother-in-law to deceased. On Monday, Coroner Swett proceeded to the scene of the tragedy to hold an inquest. A jury was impaneled consisting of Jacob F. Miller, F. A. Barbour, James Hunter, Thomas Rosanko, John B. Jeffries, and John Thomas, who rendered the following verdict:  That Nelson V. Waggoner came to his death on the 4th day of November, 1877, by a pistol shot fired by Paschal Varnum.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 3-12-1930
Brief Illness Fatal to Mrs. Carrie Wagner

Mrs. Carrie Wagner of 411 Berkeley Avenue, wife of Thomas B. Wagner, passed away Thursday at a Sacramento hospital, following an illness of only a week. Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at the Broyer & Magner Chapel, interment being made in the Roseville Cemetery. Surviving relatives are her husband and the following children: David, 24; Neil, 19; Alta, 16; Edith, 13; Jessie, 10; Cantwell, 8; and William, 5; her mother, Mrs. Nettie Wood of Chico; and the following brothers and sisters: Mrs. Myrtle Lewis, Mrs. Emma Young, Warren Clark, Chris, Lester, Earl and Newton Wood of Chico, Charles Wood of San Jose, and Mrs. Lucile Matthews of Sacramento.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 8-29-1928
Roy Wagoner Home Saddened by Death of Three-Weeks-Old Son Last Saturday

The home of Mr. and Mrs. Roy L. Wagoner on Twin Oaks Avenue was saddened on Saturday, August 25, when their infant Lester was taken at the age of three weeks after a very brief illness. The funeral services were held at the Sylvan Cemetery Sunday afternoon, directed by Broyer & Mahner, Rev. T. H. Mee offering words of comfort on behalf of the bereaved parents and grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wagoner and Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Lovell and nine brothers and sisters of Roseville. Mrs. M. C. Hewett, Mrs. T. H. Mee, Mrs. Helen Ridgeway, and Miss Mary Pasold sang selected hymns as friends assembled in sympathy and consolation.

Roseville Tribune and Enterprise, Wednesday, 6-15-1927
Robert Wait, Age 5, Accidentally Drowns at Rocklin Monday – Was Son of Mr. and Mrs. Purl Wait – Funeral Services to be Held Thursday

Little Bobbie Wait, five-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Purl Wait of Rocklin, was drowned in the old Wickman quarry in Rocklin, a short distance from the lad’s home, about 5 o’clock Monday afternoon. While his father, who is a conductor for the Southern Pacific Company, was on his usual run to Sparks, and Mrs. Wait had come to Roseville on a hasty errand, the lad with an elder brother and another boy went fishing in the quarry near the home of Mat Ruhkala. In some way he lost his footing and fell into the water in the quarry which has a depth of about 40 feet. His companions were unable to rescue him. The news quickly spread and in a short time many anxious workers were on the scene. Fire truck No. 1 from Roseville was taken to the scene of the sad accident about 9 o’clock at night, and the engine was kept pumping until about 6:45 Tuesday morning when the water had been lowered about 8 or 10 feet and the body of the boy was found on a ledge of rock. Funeral services have been arranged for Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock in the chapel of Broyer & Magner on Vernon Street where friends are respectfully invited to attend. The Wait family is well known in Roseville where they lived until a few years ago when they moved to Rocklin. Their many friends deeply sympathize with them in their severe loss.

Roseville Tribune and Enterprise, Friday, 6-17-1927
Funeral Services for Robert Wait Yesterday

The home of Mr. and Mrs. Purl Wait of Rocklin, Placer County, California, was overshadowed by sorrow Monday, June 13, when their beloved son, Robert Lester, slipped beyond the reach of human care. Born in Roseville December 16, 1921, he had lived most of his short life between these two communities, bringing sunshine and gladness wherever he went. Always in good health and very ambitious, he was the delight of his companions. Only those who have suffered a similar loss can sympathize in a full measure with the bereaved family, consisting of the father and mother, one sister, Louise, and two brothers, James G. and Paul R. Wait. The funeral services were held from the chapel of Broyer & Magner Thursday afternoon, when Rev. T. H. Mee offered a comforting message, and Mrs. B. C. Knapp sang two selections. Interment was in the Sylvan Cemetery where the mortal remains abide to the resurrection morning.

Roseville Register, Friday, 8-15-1913
Rocklin Woman Died Yesterday

Mrs. Carrie E. Walden, wife of J. M. Walden, died in Rocklin last night at the age of 55 years, 5 months and 19 days. Mrs. Walden had been in fairly good health, and her death came as a distinct surprise to her many friends in this county. She was a native of Iowa and had resided in Rocklin for the past 27 years. She was an active member of the Rocklin Congregational Church and will be missed in the Granite City. She was the wife of J. M. Walden, a prominent citizen and for many years justice of the peace of Rocklin.

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 1-22-1930
Pneumonia Claims Elmer C. Walker, 68

Funeral services were held from the Broyer & Magner Chapel yesterday afternoon for Elmer C. Walker, 68, who died Sunday after an illness of a week with pneumonia. The service was conducted by the Rev. Harry W. O’Kane, pastor of the Methodist Church. Interment was at Odd Fellows Cemetery. Deceased was a native of Wisconsin, coming here in 1918 to make his home in Roseville. He was a carpenter by trade and was the father of Mrs. P. S. Andrews and Mrs. W. R. Calvin. Other children are Charle_ [illegible line], Roy S. Walker of Missouri, Archie C. Walker of Iowa, Clyde C. Walker of Sacramento, and Vern A. Walker of Texas. He leaves a sister, Mrs. Edna Carr of Los Angeles.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 4-14-1877
Died - At Rocklin, March 30th, Mary, wife of D. M. Walker, a native of New York, aged 39 years and 7 days. Deceased was well known to Placer County people, having been a resident of this county from the days of its earliest prosperity. She had been under treatment for about 5 months for a disease of the throat and was apparently fast recovering; but on the day mentioned, during the absence of the entire household, the gathering broke and death ensued before she was discovered. She leaves a husband and four bright and interesting children, three boys and one girl, beside a large circle of friends, to mourn her loss.

Placer Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 10-18-1873
Sudden Demise

On last Wednesday morning, Gov. Joseph Walkup left his home in Auburn and repaired to the Herald office in his usual health. About nine o’clock AM, he arose from the chair in which he had been sitting and requested his partner, Mr. Filcher, to help him to the door and at the same time remarked, “This is the last.” Before reaching the door, he became helpless and unconscious, and was placed on a lounge. Medical attendance was immediately procured and all the assistance rendered him that was possible, but without effect. In less than an hour and a half from the time he was taken, he breathed his last. This is the third stroke of paralysis that Gov. Walkup has had within the past eighteen months. His remains were interred in Odd Fellows Cemetery on Friday last. In another column will be found a brief history of his life; we are under obligations to Judge Hale and Tabb Mitchell for the data from which we obtain the same.

Death of Governor Walkup

It is with feeling of sorrow and grief that we announce the death of Gov. Joseph Walkup which took place at 11 o’clock AM on Wednesday last. Deceased was a native of Miami County, Ohio, and was born on the 25th of December, 1819. During the earlier years of his life, he followed the business of ship and house carpenter, working at his trade in Ohio and New Orleans. In the spring of 1849, he crossed the plains, arriving in California in the month of August of that year and first settled in Auburn and engaged in the mercantile business in company with S. B. Wyman. In 1851, the firm of Walkup & Wyman engaged very extensively in the business of farming and stock-raising near the present site of the town of Lincoln, and while so engaged raised the first crop of wheat in Placer County. During his residence in California, he has three several times visited his former home in the States, in 1854, 1861, and 1865, and during his second visit he was married in Sidney, Shelby County, Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth Eliott, by whom he has had two children, one of whom is now living, a daughter aged about nine years. Upon his return to California in 1862, he located in Auburn and has continued to reside here since that time. Since January 11, 1868, he has been editor and proprietor of the Placer Herald, and at the hour of his death was in the active discharge of the duties of that position. Gov. Walkup was elected as State Senator from this county in 1852 and served the full term and was again elected to the same position in 1856, and at the end of the first session resigned the office. In 1857, he was elected Lieutenant Governor of the State, under the administration of John B. Weller as Governor, holding that position for the then term of two years. During his incumbency of the office of Lieutenant-Governor, he was the presiding officer of the State Senate and Warden of the State Prison. His administration of the wardenship of the State Prison was at a time when the affairs of that institution were in a very unsatisfactory and confused condition; but by his foresight, judicious management, and untiring energy, he succeeded in placing that department of State Government in good working order. As a public officer, Joseph Walkup leaves behind him a name of which no one need be ashamed, but on the contrary, might well feel proud. As President of the Senate, he gained the esteem and good-will of his political opponents as well as the praise of his political friends by the impartiality of his rulings and the courteous and gentlemanly manner in which he presided over that body. The following comments on the character of Gov. Walkup as a journalist and private citizen we clip from the Grass Valley Union as being more expressive and couched in better terms than anything we could write, and with the sentiments therein expressed we heartily concur:  As a journalist, Governor Walkup was always strong. He said what he believed and he said it with great force. He wielded a battle-ax rather than a rapier; he cut through the armor of an opponent rather than to find a joint by skillful swordsmanship. He was not an adept as a rhetorician, but he used words as if they were things that had weight. Of course, he was assailed and while being assailed was not slow to give as well as take. His career as a journalist was as positive and as honest as any part of his useful life. In his personal relation, he was also positive and always reliable. His word in business matters was as good as his bond and was always kept in the letter as in the spirit. As a friend, no one ever had a better one than Joseph Walkup, and as an enemy he was positive and outspoken, requiring much to make him change an opinion. There was nothing negative in his composition, whether as a friend or foe. He was a most kind husband and father and leaves a widow to mourn an irreparable loss. At a time like the present we look upon the death of Governor Walkup as a public loss. He was one of those true men who should have died long hereafter. We deeply sympathize with his bereaved family, and we feel the poverty of words with which to express that sympathy. We share the sorrow that his many friends feel at the death of this noble man.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 11-14-1913

"The silver cord is loosed" that moored too lightly, it seems, Mrs. Clarence Wallace, and after an illness of two weeks resulting from burns, she was borne away on the morning tide with sincere faith in her pilot to the land of promise. As briefly told in last week’s News-Messenger, Mrs. Wallace was burned while sweeping some rubbish to a bonfire, her back being to the fire and before she realized her peril, her body was enveloped in flames. Most of her clothes were burned from her body, and the flesh was terribly roasted before Mrs. Wallace could extinguish the flames by rolling in the dust, and this was what finally caused her death as the wounds had become infected with the deadly tetanus germs which resisted the most heroic efforts to avert. As his mother’s terrible condition was known to him, her brave little five year old son immediately telephoned to a neighbor, and medical aid and other assistance was summoned from Porterville. After a few days, or as soon as possible, Mrs. Wallace was removed to a hospital at Porterville, and a heroic battle for her life began. For awhile she seemed to improve, and strong hopes of her recovery were entertained, but “death loves a shining mark,” and she suddenly became worse and passed away in a few hours, her death occurring on November 7 at 5 o’clock AM. Just as the rosy dawn of a golden morning brushed back the raven curtains of the night, the candle of her pure sweet young life went out, her pure spirit winged its flight to “mansions in the skies,” where she will be clad in the immaculate garments of eternal saintliness and surrounded by the unnumbered throng who inhabit the Celestial City. Deceased was the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Wyatt, old and highly esteemed residents of Lincoln, aged 26 years and 10 months. Six years ago she was united in marriage to Clarence Wallace, one of Lincoln’s stalwart young men, and to this happy union was born two children, a boy of 5 and a girl of 3 years of age. Until a few months ago, Mr. and Mrs. Wallace made Lincoln their home but an opportunity for improvement being afforded them, they removed to Porterville and were engaged in farming pursuits with every promise of a bright future. The death of Mrs. Wallace is not only a shock to her bereaved family, but to hosts of friends who were deeply attached to her on account of her many virtues and lovable traits of character. The memory of her loving, of her gentle disposition, her unfailing cheerfulness and courtesy, her steadfast fidelity, sweet companionship, and helpful influence will long be cherished by those whose admiration was first awakened by the noble attributes of her character and whose love was kindled by that inexpressible something in her disposition that, like an angel of light, flies right into the bosom and nestles against the heart. Mrs. Wallace leaves a husband, father and mother, a young son and daughter, and sister, Mrs. Roscoe Allen, and two brothers, E. J. and Will Wyatt, and other relatives. The funeral of Mrs. Wallace was held from the Congregational Church in Lincoln Sunday afternoon and was largely attended, under the auspices of the Rebekah Lodge of which the deceased was a member. Rev. John Brereton made impressive remarks and the choir, composed of Mrs. Musser, Mrs. Sparks, Mrs. Hogle, Mrs. Stoops, Mr. Musser, with Mrs. Grey, organist, rendered sweet funeral strains. There was a profusion of floral pieces. Interment was made in IOOF Cemetery. Peace to her ashes! The influence of her virtuous life will be reflected in shining luster far beyond the portals of the tomb.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 4-26-1929
Well Known Rocklin Resident Passed Away at Home Wednesday

Sanfrid Wallen passed away at his home in Rocklin on Wednesday after an illness of about a year’s duration. The deceased was a granite cutter by trade and in this manner contracted a malady that ultimately caused his death. He was born at Holy River, Finland, on November 28, 1884, and came to Rocklin to make his home in the year 1902. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Tyyni S. Wallen, and two daughters, Miss Edna Wallen and Miss Alice Wallen of Rocklin. Funeral services will be held Saturday.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 9-27-1929
Jack Walsh Called Yesterday at Auburn

Jack Walsh, owner of the Freeman Hotel at Auburn and well known all over the country for his activities in the interest of sportsmen, died at 11 o’clock yesterday morning after an illness of several weeks. Death was due to cancer of the stomach. Funeral services will be held at Auburn Saturday morning at 11 o’clock.

Placer Herald, Auburn, Saturday, 2-2-1918
Death of J. B. Watters

J. B. Watters, familiarly known to everyone in Auburn and on the Forest Hill Divide as “Jim” Watters, died in Auburn Wednesday after an illness of several months. He was a native of the Forest Hill Divide, aged 37 years. For many years, Jim Watters made Auburn his home. At the time of his death he was in partnership with H. Schultz in the conduct of the Mint Saloon, and with Charles Dapper in the manufacture of cigars. At one time he ran the Orleans Hotel and later was with M. J. Nunes of the “Stag.” His father, years ago, conducted the old Auburn Hotel at the depot. Deceased was a hale fellow well met, a man of honor and integrity and particularly well liked by a host of friends. Jim was a great lover of athletics and outdoor sports and successfully managed baseball teams both at Forest Hill and at Auburn. He is survived by a widow, formerly Miss Addie Mulligan; a mother, Mrs. Kate Watters; and sister, Miss Sadie; and brother, George. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon from the Catholic Church. Rev. Father Gavin conducted the services, and the up-town firemen attended in a body. The bereaved widow and other relatives have the sympathy of the community in this loss.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 3-5-1930
John Watts, Miner of Auburn, Passes

John Watts, 84, a resident of Placer County since 1875, died Saturday night at his home in Auburn after an illness of several months. Watts, who had been engaged in mining enterprises at Iowa Hill before moving to Auburn 14 years ago, was a native of England. He leaves six children, Mary A. Noble, Sam G. and Albert Watts, all of Sacramento; John Watts Jr. of Colfax, Arthur Watts of Iowa Hill, and Edwin C. Watts of Oakland. Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at Auburn.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 3-2-1927
Albert Watts Home Bereft of 3-Year-Old Son Last Friday

Mr. and Mrs. Albert Watts suffered the loss of their three-year-old son, Orville Douglas Watts, on Thursday, February 24th, at 9:00 PM. The baby had been sick for some time with chicken pox and measles when he also contracted whooping cough. In his weakened condition he was unable to withstand the effects of the severe coughing. Orville Douglas Watts is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Watts, and three brothers. The funeral was held Monday afternoon from the residence on Clinton Avenue. Rev. M. W. Coates conducted the services. Interment was in the Roseville IOOF Cemetery. Mrs. Mamie Lamm, mother of Mr. Watts, came from Malvern, Iowa, to attend the funeral of the little boy.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-10-1918

Mrs. Ellen E. Way was born in Indiana March 22, 1835, and passed from this life at Sacramento December 22, 1917, having attained the advanced age of 81 years, 9 months and 22 days. After a few years in her native state, she moved with her parents to Iowa where she grew to beautiful young womanhood. Possessing the courage and spirit of adventure which characterized the early settlers of the west, she journeyed by ox team to California, reaching Lake County in the early days of the gold excitement. In 1863 she was united in marriage with Mr. Way, their union being blessed with 8 children, five of whom survive. After a few years spent in Lake County, she came in 1864 to Placer County, locating on a farm near Roseville which for the most part has been her home. Here she has formed many cherished friendships which contributed much to her happiness not only during her active life but especially in her years of gradual decline. A patient sufferer for several years, she showed faith in the praise of her Master whom she faithfully served. Having been one in a family of 13 children, she early learned to share with others, not only of her time but also of her talents and was greatly beloved by all who knew her. This she gladly did for the good she might do. Her one ambition was to live for others. In this she merited unqualified appreciation. Her companion of nearly a half century preceded her nearly a decade ago. Since then, she had continued to live here, with exception of a few months on the home place near Roseville. She leaves to bless her sacred memory three sons and two daughters, besides 21 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. The funeral services were held December 31, 1917, from the West parlors. Interment was in the family plot at Sylvan where a long procession of relatives and friends journeyed to pay the last fond tribute to one universally loved.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 11-27-1929
Sheridan Junk Man Burned to Death

John Weaver, a junk dealer of Sheridan, was burned beyond recognition about 4 PM Thursday on the Sheridan road north of Lincoln. Weaver was returning home when his wagon caught fire from an unknown cause. The body was found about 100 yards from the burning wagon, the only means of identification being the team of horses. He was about 65 years of age, and the only known relative is a niece, Mrs. C. B. Loos, living in Okmulgee, Oklahoma. Pasture along the road caught fire from the wagon, burning about 300 acres before it was controlled.

Weekly Patriot (Iowa Hill), Saturday, 2-12-1859
Serious Accident

On Wednesday last, while Messrs. Finley and Webster were preparing a blast in the South Point Tunnel, the blast prematurely exploded, knocking Mr. Finley down and fatally injuring Mr. Webster by breaking one of his thighs, a rib, and the concussion rupturing the diaphragm, causing the intestines to protrude into the cavity and upon the left lung. He lingered in great pain until Thursday evening when his spirit took its flight to realms of immortality. This evening, Saturday, his remains were followed to their last resting place by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Templers (to both of which he was a member), and a large number of citizens. Mr. Webster was formerly from Ohio and was about 30 years of age. He was a gentleman much beloved in our community, and his place will long be vacant in our midst. It creates a feeling of extreme sorrow and desolation for the mind to dwell upon the sad fact that one who moved amongst us but a few days since, with all the fond anticipations and lofty aspirations of buoyant manhood, is today consigned to the dark, cold tomb to await the final summons of the archangel who shall herald all, the “quick and the dead,” into the presence of the God of Nations.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 8-9-1929
Well Known Lincoln Resident Succumbs

W. C. Weirick died at the family home in Lincoln early Monday morning, August 5, from a prolonged illness. He leaves his widow, Mrs. Ella Esther Weirick; a daughter, Mrs. Nellie Goodenough; and a son, Alexander Weirick, all of Lincoln. Funeral services were held from the family home at 10 o’clock Tuesday morning, with the Free and Accepted Masons officiating. Weirick recently received a 50-year Masonic jewel awarded to him by the lodge in Mt. Vernon, Ohio. The body was shipped Tuesday evening to Mt. Vernon, Ohio, for burial.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 5-17-1929
Homer T. Weller Passes on in Chico Hospital Tuesday

Homer T. Weller died at a Chico hospital Tuesday evening at the age of 49 years. Several weeks ago, he left Roseville to go to Richardson Springs on account of his health and was later removed to the hospital. The immediate cause of his death was nephritis. The deceased had lived in Roseville for a number of years and had conducted a service station on Atlantic Street. The remains were shipped by Broyer & Magner to Fresno for burial beside those of his wife, who preceded him in death. He is survived by a brother, Clarence Weller of Long Beach.

Sacramento Daily Union, 03 Dec 1862

At Wells' Precinct, Placer county, Nov. 27th, Absalom Wells, in the 76th year of his age.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 7-27-1916
Angel of Death Calls Worthy Woman

The community was stricken with grief Saturday morning when it learned of the sudden death of Mrs. Mary Welsh, wife of J. G. (Barney) Welsh, from heart failure. Mrs. Welsh had been in good health up to a short time ago and was not seriously ill until Friday evening. The attack was as sudden and unexpected as was death. The Methodist funeral services were rendered, and interment was had in the Mormon Island Cemetery near Folsom. The members of the N.D.G.W., W.L.M.C., F.O.E., and L.O.O.M. attended the funeral services. Deceased was born at McDowell Hill, Sacramento County, about five miles from Folsom and spent most of her life in that vicinity with the exception of the time she resided in Roseville. She was the first white girl born at McDowell Hill, and her mother was the second white woman to arrive at that point. She was born Dec. 28, 1854, and was at the time of her death aged 61 years, six months and 24 days. She leaves to mourn her death her husband, and four children, Henry Hoke, James Hoke, Mrs. Mamie Steen, and Mrs. Rita Coan. She was a woman who took a great deal of interest in lodge work, and she was an active member of the N.D.G.W. and the W.L.M.C., in each of which she held important offices. She had a wide circle of friends both here and at Folsom, and her kind words and loving deeds will be missed by them all.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 11-22-1879

In the death of Mr. Jacob Welty of Lincoln, which is recorded in an appropriate place in another column, Placer County loses one more of its oldest and most respected citizens. Mr. Welty served as Assemblyman from this county in the State Legislature of 1871-2, being elected on the Republican ticket by the largest majority given to any of the six nominees running for the office, Placer County being at that time entitled to three members in the lower house of the Legislature, and both parties - Republicans and Democrats - had made up a full ticket. His death was caused by typhoid fever contracted while attending his son, Rufus Welty, a young man of eighteen who was sick of that disease. The remains were taken to Sacramento for interment, Wednesday, the funeral taking place from the residence of his brother, Hon. D. W. Welty.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 2-10-1916

Mrs. Ann Eliza Whallon died at San Francisco, February 6, at the age of 91 years and 4 months. Mrs. Whallon was a native of Vermont but had made her home in the west for many years. She was formerly a resident of Rocklin, and the funeral services were held in that city, interment in the Rocklin Cemetery. A splendid Christian character, she became the friend of every one who became acquainted with her, and her friends were legion, and a large number from Roseville attended the funeral.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 5-4-1916

A very sad death occurred Wednesday when the ten-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. M. B. Whistler passed away after a lingering illness. Everything that medical skill and kind parents could do would not stay the death messenger. Charles M. Whistler, the son beloved by his parents and everyone who knew him, was a native of this state and until up to the time of his illness had been a student in the grammar schools. The funeral services will be held Friday from the Chapel of Guy E. West at 2:30, and interment will be in IOOF Cemetery. The heartfelt sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved parents in the death of a bright boy, beloved by all his playmates, and who was just on the threshold of youth.

Colfax Sentinel, Friday, 7-14-1893

Charles B. White, father of Mrs. F. A. Birce, died at the Birce residence, Linden Heights, last Saturday at the age of 65 years, 10 months, and five days. He was a native of Troy, NY, and reached California 41 years ago and settled in Vallejo. He removed to San Francisco in 1860, where he resided until about two years since when he settled in Auburn in hopes of recovering his waning health. He was married to Miss Mary DeWolfe, March 25, 1852, and leaves two daughters, Mrs. Nellie Birce of this city and Mrs. Lillie Darling of San Francisco. He was always active and was fourteen consecutive years in the employ of Goodall, Perkins & Co. Ill health compelled him to give up his position six years ago. About two years since, he came to Auburn and was interested with his son-in-law, F. A. Birce, in the erection of their fine residence on Linden Heights. The beautiful lawn and surroundings are largely due to his labors as long as he was able to devote his time to it. He leaves a wife and the two daughters mentioned. The funeral took place at the residence Monday afternoon. Rev. Dr. Callen officiating. The remains were taken to San Francisco for interment in the Odd Fellows Cemetery of that city. Mr. White was a quiet unostentatious man and highly respected by all who knew him.

Roseville Register, Friday, 8-1-1913
First Death as a Result of Rabies

The third case of rabies among humans to occur in this state since the first of February is reported from Newcastle last week when Florence White, the 6-year-old daughter of Edward White, formerly of Newcastle but now Wells-Fargo agent at Bowman, died of rabies at the home of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Connelley, last Thursday night. The little girl was with her father at Bowman and was bitten by a dog three weeks ago. The dog was not suspected of being afflicted with rabies, and little attention was paid to the case as the injury was slight.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-15-1920
Man Found Dead

George White, an old man, was found dead in an alley Wednesday night. Deputy Coroner Guy E. West was called to take charge of the body, and a coroner’s jury brought in a verdict that the old man had died from exposure and lack of nourishment. Nothing is known of the old man except that he followed the occupation of sheep-herding.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 2-19-1898

Harriet Winefred White, daughter of John W. and Carrie White, died suddenly Wednesday last at the family home of the McCann ranch in Rock Creek District. The little one was aged 2 years, 8 months, and 17 days.

Placer County Reader (Auburn), Thursday, 10-6-1898

About noon on Tuesday, Mrs. Mary DeWolf White was called away from her home at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. F. A. Birce. Typhoid malaria was the fatal malady, and Mrs. White was sick but two weeks, during which time she was surrounded by loving friends and relatives who contributed all possible to the alleviation of her suffering. Mary DeWolf was born at Deerfield, Mass., April 1, 1830, and in March, 1852, was married to C. B. White. Mr. and Mrs. White came “around the Horn” to California on their wedding trip, and San Francisco was their home for many years. In 1891, F. A. Birce erected a residence on Linden Heights, and Mr. and Mrs. White removed here to make their home with their only daughter. Two years later, Mr. White passed away in this city, and his body was laid to rest in Odd Fellows’ Cemetery, San Francisco, where the remains of Mrs. White will be laid beside his today. A brief service was held at the residence at 2 o’clock yesterday, Rev. H. F. Burgess officiating, and at the close, the body was taken to the overland train, accompanied by the family. Besides a daughter, granddaughter, and grandson, Mrs. White left two sisters and a mother, the latter living at Elmwood, Connecticut, at the advanced age of 94 years. Mrs. White was a charming woman, possessed of those traits of character which made her a favorite with all her acquaintances and the object of love and admiration from those knowing her best. Hers was a life of sacrifices, always contributing to the comfort and happiness of others and subjugating self till it might well be said “she lived for others.” In family, church, and social circles, Mrs. White’s death leaves a void, and the bereaved relatives have the sympathy of all in this hour of affliction.

Roseville Register, Friday, 6-13-1913
Man Dies as Result of Accident - Young Dentist in Trying to Ride Train Is Thrown Under the Cars - Taken to Auburn but Receives No Care - Local Man Says McAulay Should have Provided for Care of Injured Man

A very sad accident occurred in Roseville this week when Joseph E. Whitfeld, a young dentist from St. Louis, had his feet cut off by the cars. He was taken to Auburn and later died in the hospital there. Thursday evening he attempted to board a freight train out of town and was evidently knocked from the train by a switch as he was hanging onto the ladder with his feet on the oil box. His feet were cut off just above the ankles. He was taken at once to the local emergency hospital and attended by Dr. Woodbridge. Later he was taken to Auburn by Railroad Policeman Kelly and Constable Radesuli. Before he was taken to the train, George D. Cahen and Rudesuli attempted to get the hospital at Auburn and were unable to do so. They then got Sheriff McAulay on the phone, and he promised to make arrangements to receive the injured man. But when the train arrived at Auburn, for some inconceivable reason, no such arrangements had been made. George D. Cahen, who has taken quite an interest in the affair and who did the telephoning, is indignant at McAulay and thinks that the man’s death was the result of not having had proper care when he arrived at Auburn. It seems that the hospital had not been notified and not even a doctor could be procured. From what Cahen says, the blame rests on McAulay, and it is up to him to explain why he did not make the proper arrangements. The young man was from St. Louis, and his mother, who was notified of his death, has sent instructions to bury him in Auburn. This affair has aroused a lot of criticism around town about the way the county hospital is handled, and an effort will be made to have the county officials show where Roseville taxpayers are getting any returns from the hospital tax they are paying.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-23-1914
Dutch Flat Man Killed in Storm

The body of William Whitford, a native of Dutch Flat, was found in an old pool by a searching party at six o’clock Sunday evening. Lost in a blinding snow storm Saturday night, the man had wandered about in the snow until from sheer exhaustion he fell and was frozen to death. The man started for his home, which is near Dutch Flat, while a heavy snow fall was occurring. He knew the country so well that little fear was felt as to his safe arrival home. As he walked, the storm increased until it was practically impossible for him to see. Word of his disappearance reached Dutch Flat the next morning, and a searching party set out to find him, believing that probably he had found temporary shelter and was still alive. By rare good luck, they managed to pick up his trail and soon after found the remains. Whitford had lived in Dutch Flat all his life and was a “sawyer” by trade. An inquest was held over the remains Monday.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 7-13-1873

Fatal Accident at Roseville - A man named Hiram L. Whiting met with a fatal accident near Roseville on Wednesday night of last week. He had been employed in driving a two-horse team for A. Coolbeeker and on Wednesday forenoon started with a load of grain from the ranch for Roseville, a distance of three miles. At 4 o’clock PM, he was seen on his return home. He seemed to have been drinking to some extent but not sufficiently to materially affect him. Neither he nor the team returned home that night. Early in the morning, search was made for him and the unfortunate man was found dead in a ditch by the roadside with one of the mares lying on her back on top of him. Two of the wheels of the wagon were in the ditch, and the other horse was standing on the bank still hitched to the wagon. It is supposed that the team passed too near the ditch, and that the driver was thrown forward just in time to be caught under the body of the mare as she lost her footing and fell. Whiting still grasped the whip in one hand and the reins in the other. The mare was almost dead. Justice Nash held an inquest in the case Thursday afternoon, and the jury returned a verdict of accidental death. The deceased was a native of Ohio and it is thought of Summit County where his relatives reside. He was about forty years of age. He came to the state in 1859 and has lived in Placer County the greater portion of the time since that date.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 5-1-1875

Jack Whiting, an old teamster familiarly known as Jack of Clubs, was found on Wednesday, the 21st inst., on the road between Lincoln and his home near Auburn Ravine, in a dying condition and lived but a short time after being removed. It is supposed he fell from his wagon during a fit or attack of heart disease. Deceased was about fifty-five years of age.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 4-9-1930
Aged War Veteran Is Buried with Honors

Funeral services for James Lee Whitlock, 86, Civil War veteran, were held Sunday at the Fairview Church near Trowbridge. Whitlock was born in North Carolina and came to Sutter County where he made his home until 22 years ago when he moved to Lincoln to make his home with his only daughter, Mrs. Laura Pritchard. In addition to his daughter, he leaves five grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren. Rev. C. C. Black of Lincoln officiated at the services at the church, and James E. Fowler Post, American Legion, under command of Frank Dewselle, officiated at military rites at the graveside in Fairview Cemetery.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-24-1913
The Passing of Parker Whitney – Played Prominent Part in the Development of California – Owned Much Property

J. Parker Whitney, who died at the Hotel Del Monte last Friday, was well known in this section of Placer County and was the owner of the Spring Valley ranch of 18,000 acres near Rocklin. This ranch has been under the management of Parker Whitney, Jr. for several years. Mr. Whitney was 78 years of age and was well known in San Francisco and other parts of the state, as well as Rocklin. He was instrumental in developing many big enterprises and was the author of several books on agriculture and irrigation. Among other things, he wrote “The Greater Future and Welfare of California.” Mr. Whitney came to California first at the age of 17 from Gardner, Mass., where he was born. While he was actively engaged in sheep-raising and fruit growing in California, Mr. Whitney rendered this state an important service by demonstrating that oranges could be successfully grown in the northern part of this state and would ripen from six weeks to two months earlier than the southern orange. Mr. Whitney was one of the men who took up the work of rebuilding San Francisco after the big fire and earthquake and built a splendid building at 133 Geary Street. The members of the family who survive Mr. Whitney are:  Mrs. Whitney, Mrs. J. C. Wheeler Jr. of San Francisco, Parker Whitney, Jr. of Rocklin, and Vincent Whitney of San Francisco.

Roseville Register, Friday, 5-31-1912
Death of Rocklin Pioneer

The funeral of John T. Whitney, who died Tuesday in the Wentworth Hospital in Sacramento, will be held this afternoon. The services will be conducted from the funeral parlors of Clark & Boothe. John T. Whitney was born in Massachusetts and was 70 years old. He came to California almost 50 years ago and settled near Rocklin where he has lived continuously 45 years. He was well known among the orchardists of this section of the state. He leaves a widow, Fanny I. Smith-Whitney; a daughter, Mrs. Fred Herbert of Portland, Oregon; and a cousin, J. Parker Whitney, the well-known fruit grower and poultry man.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 11-8-1879

Dennis Whitten, a young man employed at the Kearsarge Saw Mill near Dutch Flat met with his death last Monday. He was unloading a carload of logs at the time and was in some manner caught or tripped by a chain, when a rolling log struck him about the hips and immediately crushed him to death. He was a native of Maine, aged 21 years. Next day, the Messrs Towle Brothers sent the remains east to the relatives. Deceased was much respected by all who knew him.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 2-3-1928
Dr. J. Y. Whittier Meets his Death in Auto Crash – Instantly Killed When his Auto Overturns at Yolo Causeway – Wife Injured

Dr. James York Whittier, well known Roseville physician, was instantly killed early Wednesday morning and his wife severely injured when their automobile, in which they were returning home from San Francisco, overturned at the west end of the Yolo causeway. It is presumed that Dr. Whittier, who was driving, had become confused in the heavy fog near the end of the causeway when a red lantern hanging on the railing suddenly loomed up ahead of him. Believing it to be the tail-light of another car, he swung his car to one side to avoid a crash. The sudden swerve of his car on the wet pavement resulted in the car skidding and crashing through the railing. It plunged over the causeway and crashed to the ground twenty feet below, landing upside down. Dr. and Mrs. Whittier were extricated from the wreckage by passing motorists, and it was then found that the doctor was dead. It was reported that his neck was broken, death coming instantly. Word was dispatched to Sacramento for assistance, and a taxi responded which took Mrs. Whittier to the emergency hospital in Sacramento. Dr. Whittier’s body was removed to Woodland in an ambulance, and an inquest was held Thursday. At the emergency hospital in Sacramento, the attending physician, Dr. L. W. Farrell, found that Mrs. Whittier had sustained a fractured arm, shoulder and one rib and contusions of the body. She was then transferred to the Sutter Hospital where Dr. G. E. Chapell took charge. Her injuries were not considered as serious as was first reported here. Dr. and Mrs. Whittier have resided in Roseville the past nine years, where he had become one of our most popular practicing physicians and surgeons. They lived in a suite of rooms over the King building on Vernon Street where Dr. Whittier also maintained his offices. He had previously practiced in Modoc County and was also located in Portland. He was a native of Canada and had become naturalized. His age was about 61 years. Dr. Whittier had just received last week the second degree in Roseville Lodge No. 22, Free and Accepted Masonic. Dr. Whittier leaves to mourn his sudden passing, besides his bereaved widow, two stepdaughters, Mrs. Tell Sweeney and Mrs. Robert Hayes, both of Roseville; and two sisters, Mrs. Alice Chambers of Portland and Mrs. Louise Mansfield of Alameda. Dr Whittier’s body was brought to Roseville from Woodland yesterday by C. P. Magner of the Broyer & Magner Funeral Chapel, and the funeral will probably be held at the chapel Saturday afternoon.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 2-8-1928
Obituary – James York Whittier

James York Whittier was born in Ontario, Canada, where he lived until he had reached his later teen age, when he came to California and for a short time resided in San Francisco. His father, who was one of the leading physicians of his day, seeing much of promise in his only son succeeding in the same calling, made possible his technical training in the American Medical College in St. Louis, Missouri. From this highly reputed institution he graduated with honors, being Valedictorian of his class. Upon his graduation, he continued the practice of medicine in that thriving city for several years. His incessant desire for travel led him to the great Northwest and to California where he successfully followed his chosen profession for more than two decades. In November some twenty-three years ago, he was united in marriage with Virginia Hand of Portland, Oregon, in the city of Walla Walla, Washington. Shortly after their wedding, they established their home in Cedarville, California, and in 1912 came to Roseville where their efficient cooperation was registered in ever enlarging usefulness. Characterized by very benevolent impulses and a strict adherence to honesty, diligence, and sympathy, he enjoyed the confidence of many to whom he lent invaluable assistance. Active and energetic, he had traveled much and was familiar with different sections of the continent, having but recently visited in Canada and some of the scenic regions of the United States, of which he was an esteemed naturalized citizen. The broad out-of-doors was his delight during the summer season, while he embraced the attractions of metropolitan life as occasion would permit during the winter. It was while sharing one of these delightful trips with his worthy helpmeet that he was suddenly summoned from all earthly pursuits at an early hour on Wednesday morning, February 1, 1928, when his devoted companion and able assistant was seriously injured. This unexpected removal from our midst of one so useful has brought a deep sense of loss and profound sorrow. Only in the measurement of the priceless benefits of the good bestowed in renewed health and congenial associations and the wisdom, love, and care of the Divine Creator can satisfaction be realized. Having materially assisted others in time of need, he will ever be kindly remembered. His broad fraternal aspirations found expression in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which he had long been an esteemed member at Cedarville and had but lately united with the Free and Accepted Masons of Roseville. His desire for reading brought him into touch with the foremost movements of the day, while not overlooking the common amenities of life to which he lent the human touch so coveted by young and old. In terminating his earthly career while amid fond expectations for years to come, one and all have a pungent announcement of the uncertainty of temporal anticipations and the positive fact of eternal reality. Among those who remain to cherish the memory of one whose kindly nature lent a radiance that lingers far down life’s rugged pathway, are his bereaved widow; a loving son, Harlo Turnbull of Sedro-Wooley, Washington; and two daughters, Mrs. Tell Sweeney and Mrs. Robert Noyes of Roseville; and three devoted sisters, Mrs. E. A. Chambers of Portland, Mrs. L. B. Mansville, and Mrs. H. S. Holmes of Alameda, Calif.; and ten grandchildren. With this stricken group, a host of friends unite in tenderest sympathy and prayerful solicitude for their welfare. A wealth of fragrant floral offerings were presented at the funeral services which were held on Saturday afternoon from the chapel of Broyer & Magner, under the auspices of the Roseville Lodge of Odd Fellows, with Rev. Thomas H. Mee officiating. “Lead Kindly Light” and “God Be With You” were sung by Mrs. M. C. Hewitt, Mrs. D. W. Parker, Mrs. L. M. Anderson, and Miss Mary Pasold, accompanied by Mrs. A. S. Teal. The pall bearers were Messrs J. E. Beckwith, Charles Hughes, Francis Astill, William O. Briggs, A. H. Swain, and H. C. Nolte. Interment was in the Odd Fellows Lawn Cemetery in Sacramento, where the beautiful ritualistic services of the Odd Fellows were conducted with several members from Roseville participating with those from elsewhere in a ceremony befitting the memory of one whose council and friendship were highly appreciated, and whose good deeds will long be kindly remembered, not only in California, but wherever he had lived.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 1-16-1929
Funeral Services for W. J. Wilbur Are Held Sunday – Former Esteemed Roseville Resident Met Accidental Death in Sacramento

Williard J. Wilbur, former highly esteemed resident of Roseville, was the victim of accidental death in Sacramento on Thursday evening, January 10, 1929. Mr. Wilbur left his home early in the evening to attend church and was struck at the corner of Nineteenth and I streets by an automobile driven by Miss Adele Gilmore of Sacramento. Later in the evening, his wife became alarmed at the prolonged absence of her husband, and upon telephoning to the police, received the sad and startling intelligence that he had been struck and killed by an automobile and his body was in the morgue. Willard J. Wilbur was born on March 10, 1860, in West Buttes, Sutter County, California, son of Willard W. Wilbur who with his father crossed the plains in 1852. There he attended the public school and grew to young manhood, and during his later teen age attended business college in Sacramento, after which he returned to his home community where he engaged in farming in which he made a singular success and merited the confidence of his fellow countrymen. Ever energetic, he accomplished unusual tasks while he was noted for his adherence to every detail of agricultural life and domestic happiness. His interest in public matters continued unabated throughout his useful life of nearly three score and ten years. For several terms he served as school trustee of West Buttes and was superintendent of the Meridian Sunday School during the greater portion of years in the home church. His loyalty, devotion, and religious integrity marked him as a true friend in the cause of righteousness. His chief joy was in helping others know the friend whom he early learned to serve. Kindly, cheerful, and deeply solicitous of human welfare, he endeared himself to all who knew him. In November 1888, he was united in marriage with Miss Mary Ellen Gray, also of a West Buttes pioneer family, this happy union being blessed with four children. A son, Lester Wilbur, passed from this life shortly after returning from the World War in 1918. Their home was the Mecca for friendly gatherings until six years ago when the family moved to San Jose for three years and to Roseville for two years during which their daughter Ruth taught school. Last September they moved to Sacramento from which final summons was given on Thursday evening, January 10, 1929, leaving a devoted husband and loving father, the choice heritage of an obedient son, an esteemed Christian citizen whose radiant life left a glow in the circles where he moved as upon individuals when he befriended from a generous heart, intent upon honoring his Maker by thought, word, and deed. Even in the enjoyment of a rich measure of health, he gave of his best. With failing eyesight, he relied the more upon the storehouse of memory and the reading by others for a renewal of that buoyancy that made him a most welcome guest and prophet of the new day when we shall see as we are seen and know as we are known. His sudden removal while on his way to the House of Prayer marks a notable coronation from which priceless lessons may be learned concerning Him who said, “My ways are not your ways, neither are my thoughts your thoughts.” Besides his bereaved widow, he leaves to revere his sainted memory, one son Ross Wilbur of Sutter City, and two daughters, Mrs. C. N. Parmenter of Loomis, Placer County, and Miss Ruth May Wilbur of Sacramento, and one granddaughter, Miss Margaret Wilbur of Berkeley. Of the eight brothers and sisters, but two remain, Dr. P. S. Wilbur of Marysville and Mrs. E. C. Morse of Seattle, Washington. Joining with these is a host of friends among young and old who pay loving tribute to this man among men whose good works will long live as the evening benediction that his advancing years signified. The funeral services, which were held from the Sutter City Methodist Episcopal Church Sunday afternoon, were conducted by Rev. Thomas H. Mee of Sacramento, assisted by Rev. P. N. Petersen of Sutter City, with W. G. Rees, H. C. Slater, Mrs. P. W. Dornfeld, and Mrs. B. C. Knapp, Roseville, singing “In the Garden,” “The City of Gold,” and “Face to Face.” Mrs. H. C. Slater was accompanist. Interment was in the family plot in the Neyesburg Cemetery at West Buttes where friends from far and near assembled with many choice floral offerings befitting the beautiful, unselfish life whose wholesome influence abide.

Roseville Tribune, Tuesday, 10-22-1918

Holland Williams, a young man about 20 years of age, who but recently arrived in this city, died last night of influenza. He had been sick but a short time.

Marysville Daily Appeal, 04/30/1871

At Gold Run, Placer County, April 17th, James Hogan Williams, a native of Liverpool, England, aged 42 years.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 11-15-1929
Henry Williamson of Lincoln Answers Call

Harry Williamson, prominent Lincoln businessman and former councilman, died at his home Wednesday, following a long illness. He was 67 years old and was a native of Illinois. He came to Lincoln 47 years ago and worked for an uncle in a grocery store for several years before forming the Williamson & Crosby Lumber Company, which was operated for 14 years before being sold to the Diamond Match Company. He was chairman of the city council in 1910 when Lincoln sewer system was laid. Funeral services will be held from the residence this afternoon at 2 o’clock with Rev. Black officiating. Interment will be in the Manzanita Cemetery, Lincoln. Williamson is survived by his wife, Mrs. Emma Williamson; a son, George Williamson of Lincoln; and a daughter, Mrs. Norma Obexer of Homewood; two grandchildren, Mrs. Ardene Day of Sacramento and Herbert Obexer of Homewood; and three sisters and two brothers.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 11-20-1929
Funeral Is Held for Prominent Lincoln Man

Funeral services were held Friday for Harry Williamson, 67, prominent Lincoln businessman. Rev. Black of the Methodist church officiated, and burial was in the Manzanita Cemetery, Lincoln. The deceased was a native of Illinois and came to Lincoln when a young man in 1882. He first worked for an uncle in a grocery store for several years. Later the Williamson & Crosby Lumber Company was formed and continued in business for 14 years.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 12-28-1878
Death of George Willment

It is with feelings of sincere regret that we announce the death of a highly-esteemed citizen and old resident of Auburn—Mr. George Willment. The sad event occurred at his residence in this town last Sunday morning about half-past three o’clock. Mr. Willment had for many years suffered from a chronic disease of the intestines which gradually but surely was sapping the foundation of his life. About a month ago he was forced to give up attending to business, and perceiving that it was a case of life or death to him, concluded to submit to a dangerous and painful operation as a last resort. This operation was performed and for a time it seemed that it might prove successful as a means of restoring him to perfect health. But his system had been enervated and shattered by his prolonged and stoic suffering until nature was unable to bear the unequal strain any longer. For some days previous to his death, it had become apparent that Mr. Willment was in a very precarious condition, and he calmly and resignedly prepared to meet his fate. He passed from earth quietly away, surrounded by his sorrow-stricken family. Deceased was very highly respected by all who knew him, being an upright citizen, a pleasant neighbor, and a devoted husband and father. He was one of the pioneer residents of Auburn, having been established in the general merchandise business here since 1850. His funeral, which took place on Monday afternoon, was one of the largest seen in Auburn for a number of years. Peace to his ashes.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 5-24-1879
Letter from Rattlesnake Bar

C. A. Wilson, who died at the hospital, was taken there by Morris Kelly and William Greely that he might be well taken care of, as all are who go there. Mr. Greely’s had long been a home to him, the family seemed more like relatives as all were very kind to him. He was an old bachelor and appreciated all those little favors. He was a good, honest, patriotic citizen and neighbor. He was a ship-rigger and sailor, and like most old sailors, was a mechanical genius, being a handy man at almost any kind of work. He came to California in early days and followed mining ever since, and like most miners, he left nothing to quarrel over. He was from Thomaston, Maine, aged fifty-eight years. May he rest in peace.

Auburn-Journal, Saturday, 8-31-1918
Hugh J. Wilson Dies; Resident Here 51 Years

Hugh J. Wilson, an aged resident of Rock Creek, died at his home at midnight at the age of 85 years. He came here 51 years ago from New York and was a native of Ireland. For many years, he had a ranch in Rock Creek and was the father of six children, five sons and a daughter, the latter being Mrs. Angie Davis, teacher in the Rock Creek School. Oscar Wilson, one of the sons, is rancher in Rock Creek. Mr. Wilson was a sufferer from kidney trouble for a long time, and that was the cause of his death. He was well known to all business men and early residents through his long residence here. The funeral will be held Monday forenoon from the Walsh-Keena Parlors, and interment will be in IOOF Cemetery.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 12-22-1877

John Wilson, a resident of Monono Flat, while at Michigan Bluff on Sunday evening last, fell down the back steps of the Sazerac Saloon, receiving injuries from which he died in a few hours. His age was about 35.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 3-2-1927
Mrs. Mary Wilson Passed Away Friday at Age of 76 Years

Mrs. Mary Wilson passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. J H. Hooper, 510 Oak Street, Friday, February 25th, 1927, at noon, being 76 years of age at the time of her death. The funeral was held at Grass Valley on Sunday afternoon. Mrs. Wilson lived at Grass Valley for a number of years but has made her home with Mr. and Mrs. Hooper for the past two years, being in very poor health most of the time since coming to Roseville. Other relatives who survive her are a daughter, Mrs. Beatrice Roberts of Oakland and three sons, Harry Wilson of Oakland and Albert and Charles Wilson of Burlingame, several grandchildren and four great grandchildren. They were all present for the funeral. Mr. and Mrs. H. T. Miller also accompanied the family to Grass Valley and attended the services.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 11-29-1879
Tragedy at Pino

On Thursday morning a tragedy was enacted near Pino that resulted in the death of one of our most estimable citizens, Theodore Wilson, teacher of the public school in the Franklin district. He was shot and instantly killed by a man named Herman Gallagher under the following circumstances, as nearly as we can learn. Wilson, who was a married man, thirty-three years of age, had a few months ago filed upon a certain tract of government land situated near Stewart’s Flat, about a mile and a half from Pino, and had built for himself and wife a modest dwelling house with a view of having a permanent and comfortable little home where by his own efforts and industry he could enjoy the fruits of his labor and bring contentment and happiness to himself and family. He was of a studious disposition, unsophisticated in worldly and business ways, hard-working and honest. Upon this same land some time ago - we do not know precisely when - the father of Herman Gallagher filed a soldier’s warrant, but he died before his claim had become valid. The son, a man about thirty but who appears older, had not the means to secure the land, which thus was open to pre-emption. Wilson, while engaged in teaching the school near there, seeing an opportunity of securing what seemed to him a desirable homestead location, took steps to ascertain that no legal rights debarred him from occupation of the ground, went on it and proceeded to establish for himself, as we have said, a suitable home. But Gallagher, it would seem, still laid claim to the place. He was a bachelor and commonly regarded as a harmless but somewhat eccentric man. It is stated that at times words not altogether friendly passed between the two - Wilson and Gallagher. It is further alleged, but upon questionable authority, that Wilson only a few days before had threateningly ordered Gallagher away when the latter was seen cutting brush upon the disputed tract. This part of the story, of course, is told by Gallagher or Gallagher’s friends, and it appears that Gallagher went to Justice Smith at Rocklin a few days before the killing to get out a warrant for Wilson’s arrest, but he was told by the Justice that a warrant could not be issued on his unsupported testimony. There is much that is uncertain as yet in the circumstances of the murder for no one is known to have witnessed it. Gallagher, however, admits the killing and pleads justification, saying he had to kill Wilson in self-defense. The immediate facts are as follows: Deceased had gone out early Thursday morning to chop brush and took his rifle with him. Shortly afterward, his wife went out to call him to breakfast but getting no answer, went to search for him. She presently found him stretched dead, with the axe still clasped in his hand, lying face downward on the ground. Near him, the rifle leaned against a rock. The distracted young woman ran frantically to the house of a neighbor, Mr. Willingham, for assistance, who, thinking Wilson might not be dead, sent for Dr. Frey at Newcastle, but the order was soon after countermanded when it was found that Wilson was dead. Under-Sheriff Boggs, who happened to be in Penryn, was notified of the occurrence, and upon information of Mrs. Wilson, proceeded to arrest Gallagher. The latter was found on his own premises, unconcernedly cutting wood or brush. He was brought to Auburn and lodged in jail.

Roseville Register, Friday, 11-3-1911
Passing Away of an Old Respected Citizen

William Joseph Wilson, Sr. died at the family residence near Newcastle on Thursday of last week, aged 83 years. Wilson was the senior member of the firm of William J. Wilson & Son, fruit shippers of Newcastle. He was born in Ireland in 1828. When a young man, he left home for the land of gold, arriving in California in 1852. He began mining near Franklin House and Miners’ Ravine, which he continued with success for a few years. In the beginning of the fruit industry, his faith in the future of fruit culture prompted him to engage in the fruit shipping business, and for 40 years he has successfully carried on a large business. His was the first fruit shipping house in Placer County. While en route to America he met on the boat a Mrs. Mary O’Malley, whom he married soon after arriving in the states. Two children blessed this union, William J. Wilson, Jr. and Mrs. Mary Madden, who survive him, together with a large number of grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Mrs. Wilson died about 20 years ago and was buried in the Newcastle Cemetery. About a year later, Mr. Wilson was married to Miss Marion Shepard, who survives him. Mr. Wilson passed away quietly at the old homestead where he had lived for 35 years. The funeral was held from the residence Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock, and the remains were placed beside the casket of his first wife in the cemetery at Newcastle.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 10-12-1916
Died at Sacramento

Frank Wolcott passed away at a Sacramento hospital October 9th after undergoing an operation for appendicitis. He was a native of Missouri but had made his home in California for a number of years. The funeral was held Wednesday, and a large concourse followed the remains to their last resting place in IOOF Cemetery. He leaves a wife and seven children to mourn his death.

Marysville Daily Appeal, 04/30/1871

At Gold Run, Placer County, April 22nd. U.S. Wolcot, Aged 39 years, a native of New York.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 4-27-1928
David E. Wolfson Succumbs from Pneumonia Wednesday

David E. Wolfson died from pneumonia at his home at 200 Grove Street on Wednesday, April 25th. Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 3:00 o’clock at the Broyer & Magner Chapel with a Rabbi from Sacramento in charge. Wolfson was a native of Chicago and has lived in Roseville the past four years with the exception of a few months spent in Marysville from which place he returned recently. He was an employee of the Blue Lantern at the time of his death. Mrs. Carolyn Wolfson, his widow, and a married son, Jacob Wolfson of Sacramento, survive him. A sad feature connected with this death is the fact that a brother-in-law, Martin J. Silks, died in the same house on March 18th. The two surviving widows are sisters and are now left alone in Roseville.

Placer Tribune and Register, Friday, 1-3-1930
Frost on Highway Causes Fatal Injury

Frost on the pavement leading into Newcastle from Penryn caused the death of one and severe injuries to another Tuesday. Wong Soon, 12, of Newcastle was instantly killed, and his father, Wong Hee, foreman for F. W. Barkhaus & Sons of Gold Hill district, is at the Highlands Sanitarium with a severely injured knee and many lacerations about the head and legs.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 1-4-1879

Mr. V. Wonn of Last Chance died at Sacramento, whither he had gone for medical treatment on Monday morning last. He was unwell only about a week -- a severe cold being the cause of his death. In his death the community in which he lived loses an honorable man, an accommodating neighbor, and a good citizen. The remains were taken up to Michigan Bluff on Tuesday evening by a committee of two gentlemen, Mr. Ed. Polifka of that place and Mr. Wonn’s partner.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 5-4-1878
Death of S. B. Woodin

Stephen B. Woodin, whose death at Auburn, NY, on the 30th of April we recorded in another column, was one of the early California pioneers—a generation of men now rapidly passing away and for the most part, noted for their adventurous, brave-hearted, and hospitable natures. Mr. Woodin came to Auburn, California, in 1849 when, we believe, he engaged in mining for a brief period, shortly after which he became interested in the grocery business with Dr. Hubbard and the late J. H. Culver of Newcastle. He was afterwards associated with E. G. Smith in the ownership and management of the water-works of this town. He was also interested in the foundry business, to an extent, about the same time. He was one of the Supervisors of this county from 1857 to 1859 and subsequently Justice of the Peace. These positions he filled creditably. For some years previous to the date of his leaving here, which was about two years ago, he had been clerk with Mr. George Willment at Auburn Station. During this time Mr. Woodin was leader of the Auburn Brass Band, the organization of which dissolved about the time of his departure. The cause of Mr. Woodin’s death was cancer, from which he suffered greatly; but to the last he bore up like a man, knowing full well that there was no earthly salvation for him. He took great comfort in hearing from his California friends, and it was his wish to be here, if possible, when his time should come to cross the dark river. Deceased was an esteemed member of the Auburn Lodge of Odd Fellows, with the officers of which he maintained a frequent and cordial correspondence. The announcement of his death will cause a pang in the bosom of many an old-time friend in this country, for Steve was like the late Joe Maguire, universally liked.

Roseville Register, Friday, 11-28-1913
Death of Mrs. T. J. Woods

Mrs. Woods, who has been severely ill for the past few months, died at the home of her niece, Mrs. Grace Rutherford, at 10 o’clock Saturday evening, Nov. 22, 1913. She was 39 years, 10 months, 3 weeks and 4 days old. She was born in Arkansas and came to California Sept. 25, 1904. Lived at the “Golden Rule” farm since January 17, 1905. Her parents were natives of Tennessee. She leaves behind to mourn her loss, her husband, G. J. Woods and five children—MacClellen, Elmer, Willie, Earl, and Gladys Woods. Also two brothers, Albert Cherry of Arkansas and William Cherry of Browns Valley, California. Three sisters, Jessie Cherry of Oklahoma, Mrs. J. C. Jackson of Colton, California, and Mrs. J. F. Myres of Honcut, California. Besides these, three half-sisters, Ester, Hattie, and Pearl Cherry of Oklahoma. Mrs. Woods bore her sufferings with Christian fortitude and patience. She was a kind and loving mother and a true and faithful wife. To know her was to love her. Her loss will be felt by all her friends. The husband and family have the sympathy of the whole community. She was buried Monday at the East Lawn Cemetery, Sacramento.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 2-27-1929
Father of Mrs. R. Falltrick Passes Away Monday Night

The death of James A. Woodward, Civil War veteran and pioneer resident of California, occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. R. Falltrick on Coronado Avenue Monday evening, February 26, 1929, at the age of nearly 88 years. Deceased had been in failing health for some time, and the end came peacefully. Funeral services will be held this (Wednesday) afternoon at 2:00 o’clock from the chapel of Broyer & Magner. Mr. Woodward is survived by his daughter, Mrs. Hattie May Falltrick of this city and three sons, George A. and James A. Woodward of Winnemucca, Nevada, and Arthur G. of Truckee. His wife preceded him in death several years ago. Deceased was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 29, 1841, and would thus have been 88 years of age March 29 this year. He served with great honor to his country during the Civil War, and shortly after his discharge came to California with his family, locating in the Monterey peninsula district. He followed work in railroading for many years, and until five years ago had resided for some time in the Veterans Home at Sawtell. He had made his home with his daughter here for the past five years where every tender care and kindness was given him.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 3-1-1929

Born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 29, 1841, James A. Woodward applied himself to education, but before he had completed all the training he had planned, the Civil War was upon the land and he gladly answered his country’s call, enlisting in the Eighty-fourth Wisconsin Infantry. The conflict led him into several states in which he participated in numerous engagements where the valor of a good soldier was displayed. Many were the hardships of his long military career from 1861-1865, his health being severely tested, and he was wounded in the battle of Franklin when many of his comrades fell. He bravely followed the colors to the close of the war, when he again entered civil life where he likewise offered many contributions to the cause of good government. Having fought for a united country with its sacred constitution, he continued to uphold its traditions and safeguard its laws. He was united in marriage with Miss Lettie B. Allen of Fort Howard, Wisconsin, and to this happy union of 40 years, five children were born, of whom the following remain to honor the memory of a devoted father approaching the four score years and ten:  George A. and Arthur D. Woodward of Winnemucca, Nevada; James A. Woodward of Truckee; and Mrs. Hattie May Faltrick of Roseville, California. Also ten grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Upon entering private life, he entered the service of the Central Pacific and in 1880 he came to California, locating in Monterey County where, aside from four years in Oregon, the greater portion of his active life was spent. While he was versatile and had engaged in various enterprises, he had followed the railroad service for many years and enjoyed the confidence of his associates, counting many of the older officials and employees among his warm friends. He early entered the Masonic fraternity in which he took unfailing interest, being an example to young men to order one’s life in conformity to the wholesome teachings which he found most helpful and in the observance of precepts that molded his long and useful life. Even in years of enforced retirement, happy were the reflections on the associations and inspiration of brotherly fellowship that lengthened and brightened his days. As a pilgrim of the pre-war and the western pioneer periods, he lent a strength to the cause of human freedom and opportunity for mutual progress. He laid well the foundation entrusted to his guiding hand and in company with his fellow laborers rejoiced in the structure the present civilization enjoys. Too great praise and public recognition cannot be accorded such patriots who loved high ideals more than their own lives. And now that their numbers are so few, the passing of each should be the more devoutly recorded as we unitedly pledge ourselves to maintain and enrich the heritage that is ours. All honor to those who have in the providence of God answered the final summons, while we deeply cherish the presence and beneficent influence of the honored comrades who tarry in our midst. With the peaceful close of this soldier’s earthly campaign at the home of his daughter on Coronado Avenue, Monday, February 25, 1929, the diminishing ranks were again depleted, and Roseville has lost one of its distinguished citizens whose residence here for the past five years has been a constant incentive to patriotism, good citizenship, and brotherhood. His constant appreciation of the tender care that loving hands bestowed in his declining years found expression in word and deed. The medical attention of the government during his prolonged residence in the soldiers home at Sawtell was a blessing beyond measure, rendered by a grateful country for its loyal sons. The funeral services were held from the chapel of Broyer & Magner in Roseville, Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Thomas H. Mee offering words of sympathy for the bereaved and esteem for one of bravery, industry, and goodwill. The interment was in the family plot in the East Lawn Cemetery, Sacramento, where his beloved companion’s remains were laid to rest in 1906. The casket bearers were G. Woodward, A. G. Woodward, A. Woodward, G. Woodward, Jr., R. Faltrick, and J. E. Faltrick. Many friends from a distance were in attendance, and numerous choice floral tributes carpeted the new-made grave on which the sun of a spring day shed its warm rays that told a prophetic story of the brighter resurrection.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 10-25-1929
E. L. Woody Killed in Auto, Cycle Crash

E. L. Woody, Southern Pacific engineer, was fatally hurt late yesterday afternoon when a motorcycle he was riding ran into an automobile driven by W. E. Klaiber of 125 Willow Street. Woody was rushed to the Southern Pacific Hospital at Sacramento, suffering, it is believed, with a fractured skull. He died on the way to the hospital. The accident occurred at the corner of Clinton and Bonita avenues. Woody was riding a motorcycle owned by G. L. Cirby and was taking a ride around the block when he crashed into the automobile. The motorcycle was demolished. Klaiber’s car was not seriously damaged. He and a small child in the car with him escaped injury.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 10-30-1929
Funeral Is Held for Head-on Crash Victim

Funeral services were held Sunday from the funeral parlors of James R. Garlick, 2001 P Street, Sacramento, for E. L. Woody, who was killed Thursday night when a motorcycle he was riding crashed head-on into an automobile. Brothers of the dead man arranged for the funeral, one of them coming from Los Angeles, another from Alturas, and the other from Seattle. The body was taken to Los Angeles for burial. Woody was well known here. He was one of the youngest locomotive engineers of the division, having recently been promoted from a fireman. He was 33 years old. Woody made his home with G. L. Cirby, city traffic officer, and it was Cirby’s motorcycle he was riding at the time of the accident. Woody’s wife made her home at Sacramento, the couple having been separated some time.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 8-3-1878
Killed by the Cars

On Tuesday morning, a quarter past six, as the second section of No. 7 bound eastward was nearing Gold Run, the locomotive struck a hand-car containing three or four sections hands, injuring one of them—a young man named James E. Wooley—in such a frightful manner that he died that same afternoon about half past five. His right arm was cut off near the shoulder, the face was badly scarred, and other injuries about the body and legs were inflicted. The accident is due to the fact that deceased and his companions did not know there was a second section coming. He was at breakfast when the first section passed, so he did not see the danger flags which it carried. The collision occurred in a cut, and the noise of the hand-car drowned the noise of the approaching train. The other men jumped off in time to save themselves, however. Deceased was a brother-in-law to Seland Cadjew of Colfax and to Charles O. Bissell, freight engineer, formerly of the same town. He was buried at Colfax on Wednesday afternoon, a number of the friends of the family going up from Clipper Gap where deceased lived to attend the funeral. He was a young man and unmarried. His father and mother, four sisters, and a brother were the chief mourners.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 9-7-1916
Charlie Wortell Called by Death Angel

Charlie Wortell, a respected and pioneer citizen of the county, was called by the Death Angel last week Thursday after a lingering illness and long fight with Bright’s disease. Charlie Wortell was 58 years old at the time of his death, a native of the state, and for 50 years a resident of Placer County, making his home on a ranch near Lincoln. The funeral was held last Sunday, the services being under the auspices of the Native Sons. Many beautiful floral pieces were sent by the family and friends. Interment was made in Manzanita Cemetery near Lincoln. He leaves to mourn his death four brothers and four sisters:  Fred Wortell of Lincoln, Henry Wortell of Roseville, William Wortell of Twle, George Wortell of Napa, Mrs. P. Patterson of Lincoln, Mrs. J. Isoard of Sacramento, Mrs. W. C. Mispley of Roseville, and Mrs. C. L. Mispley of San Francisco. Besides the near relatives, he is mourned by a large circle of friends for he had made friends with whomever he met. A splendid character and a kindly disposition were marked traits in a splendid character.

Auburn Journal, Wednesday, 2-26-1975

Funeral services for Eugenia Theresa Wortell, 89, an Auburn area resident for 34 years, will be conducted at the Chapel of the Hills at 2 o’clock this afternoon. Mrs. Wortell, a native of Ash Grove, IA, died February 22 in an Auburn hospital. Survivors include her husband, Arthur W. of Auburn; two sons, Frank of Sacramento and Jean of Gardena; three grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and four great-great-grandchildren. Interment will be in the New Auburn District Cemetery.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 10-26-1878
Found Dead

Christopher Wright, an old man aged 71, was found dead on Monday night in his cabin at Brown’s Ranch, about eight miles northeast of Sheridan. He lived alone and had been sick some time previously. Coroner Redfern being notified, went down Wednesday evening and, after some difficulty, found the place where deceased lay. He engaged help and had the remains decently interred. No inquest was held as neighbors in that vicinity are few and remote.