Obituaries - R

Today is: part of CA GenWeb



Below you will find a complilation of obituaries gathered from various newspapers throughout Placer County. If YOU have an obituary for a Placer County resident and would like to addit to this collection, please contact the county coorinators.

Colfax Sentinel, Friday, 9-1-1893

Wm. Ragsdale, Jr., son of Wm. Ragsdale of Clipper Gap, died last Tuesday morning at about one o’clock. About two weeks ago, he went into the Bear River ditch to make some repairs and in doing so contracted a cold which developed into peritonitis. After suffering for over two weeks, he finally succumbed. Deceased was about 23 years of age, the only son, and a young man of exemplary habits and splendid character. The funeral took place at Auburn, Wednesday, under the auspices of Auburn Parlor, NSFW, and was very largely attended.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 9-21-1878
Suicide at Tahoe

Last Monday evening, a man named Thomas Rahn committed suicide at Bay City, Lake Tahoe, by drowning. He was seen to jump into the water but before assistance reached him, life was extinct. He was a stranger in those parts, having come from Truckee that day where he had been on a spree for some time. His nationality was unknown, and he was about 35 years of age. Coroner Redfern held an inquest on the remains Wednesday.

Placer Herald, Auburn, Saturday, 2-2-1918

The funeral of Samuel Talbert Ramsey, who died near Manhattan, Nevada, January 24, was held in Lincoln on Wednesday afternoon from the home of Mrs. George Hawkins. Death was the result of a fall from a horse. Mr. Ramsey was a native of Iowa and leaves two married daughters who reside in Southern California. He was a member of the IOOF Lodge at Tulare Lake. The sisters and brothers who survive are Mrs. R. C. Lewis of Auburn, Will Ramsey of San Diego, John A. Ramsey of Nevada City, George E. Ramsey and Mrs. George Hawkins of Lincoln, and Mrs. Herman Stein of Sacramento. He was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Ramsey for many years residents on the Feather River below Nicolaus, Sutter County.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-24-1919

Mrs. Bessie M. Rau was born in Custer County, Nebraska, April 4, 1890, and departed this life in this city January 17, 1919, at the age of 29 years, 9 months and 12 days. She was united in marriage to Mr. William Rau at Las Vegas, Nevada, December 24, 1914. Besides the grief-stricken husband, she leaves a loving father, M. S. Bell of Colorado, and a brother, P. W. Ball of Nevada, along with many relatives and friends to mourn her death at an age when hope of a happy future held all its promises before her. The funeral services were held at her late home Saturday afternoon at 2:30, Rev. Thomas H. Mee of the First Methodist Church officiating, and the remains were tenderly laid to rest in IOOF Cemetery. To the grief-stricken husband, the sincerest heartfelt sympathy goes forth from every person who knew the splendid woman.

Placer Tribune and Register, Friday, 1-17-1930
Wife of Conductor C. H. Ray Passes

Mrs. Lillian Snead Ray, wife of Conductor C. H. Ray, passed away at a Stockton hospital Wednesday, January 15, after an illness of several months’ duration. She was 32 years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Ray resided on Irene Avenue before she was taken to the hospital, Mr. Ray having since moved to Encinal Avenue. The deceased before her marriage three years ago lived in Shawnee, Oklahoma. Funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at the Broyer & Magner Funeral Parlor and were conducted by Rev. W. M. Coates. Mrs. Irl B. Robison and Mrs. Lutz were the soloists. Pallbearers were V. E. Watts, G. Garland, J. H. Berry, and W. G. Kuhlman. Interment was made at Sylvan Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 6-26-1929

Mrs. Ione Raymond, wife of Frederick D. Raymond, Southern Pacific engineer of Roseville, died Sunday at the Southern Pacific Hospital in Sacramento after an illness of several weeks. She was a native of Nevada. Besides her husband, she leaves a sister, Mrs. Addie Preston of Corning. Funeral services were held Monday at Sacramento, the services being conducted by the Rev. E. M. Tate. Cremation followed at East Lawn Cemetery.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 12-17-1892

Mrs. Reed, wife of the Hon. C. F. Reed, died in San Francisco last Tuesday evening of apoplexy. Mrs. Reed and daughters had been in San Francisco but a few days after their summer in Auburn. Mr. Reed accompanied his family but had returned to Auburn. He received a telegram on Tuesday afternoon that his wife was ill and had just time enough to board the overland train. She was dead, however, before he reached her bedside. Mrs. Reed was a most estimable woman, beloved by her legion of acquaintances. By her death, a husband, two daughters (Misses Florence and Lillie) and one son (Willie) are left to mourn the loss of an affectionate wife and a loving mother. The remains of the deceased were interred at Knights Landing, Yolo County, where several children are buried.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 1-29-1898
Death of Chas. F. Reed – A Life Full of Noble Service and Good Deeds

On the morning of the Jubilee, Hon. Charles F. Reed, who mined in the streets of Auburn in May, 1849, passed away at the age of 73. Mr. Reed was one of pioneers who built this state and his name is entwined with its history. After his first venture at mining in 1848 and the early fifties, he located at Knight’s Landing, Yolo County, and gave his attention to wheat growing. For years he was known as the wheat king of California. He lost fortunes as easily as he made them, and he quit the wheat business after losing a cool million in the wheat deal of 1884-86. A few years later, he came to Auburn and has since resided here at his handsome country villa on Aeolia Heights. For the last ten years, he has devoted his attention to mining and was on the eve of making another fortune when death called him home. His Gold Blossom and Drummond quartz properties are the richest in old Placer. Deceased was a Republican and was prominent in the councils of his party. Besides holding membership at different times on state commissions, he served Yolo County in the Upper House of the State Legislature, was a member of the constitutional convention, was defeated by Luttrell for Congress in 1875, and was many times mentioned for governor. It was only by a narrow margin that he was defeated for the gubernatorial nomination by John F. Swift. He was a member of the national convention that nominated Blaine. By his friends, it is claimed he was too good a man to be successful in politics. A graduate of West Point, standing over six feet, he was a man of distinguished bearing and his appearance was noticeable in any gathering. His last illness incapacitated him for several months past. Dissolution was peaceful – a gradual wasting away. In the year 1853 Mr. Reed was married to Miss Carmelita Knight, and the union was blessed with seven children of whom three are now living – Mrs. J. Hodges Toler, Mrs. Arthur Johns, and William Knight Reed, all well known in Auburn and Placer County generally. He was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, January 7, 1826, of Puritan parentage. His father, Ransom Reed, was a prosperous merchant and he gave his children every educational advantage that the country afforded. One of the daughters was Mrs. Paran Stevens, now deceased, a great society leader well known in Europe and America. Another, Miss Fannie Reed, has for many years been prominent in the American colony of Paris and is a great patron of music and gifted with a fine voice. A third daughter married a prominent attorney, Judge Richardson of Massachusetts. A son, W. H. Reed, came to California among the pioneers and for a long time held a responsible position in the Bank of California. The death of Mr. Reed removes one of California’s noblest men. He was a man of the past who has left his imprint upon the future for honesty, integrity, and worth. During his entire life, he commanded the esteem and respect of all who knew him, and he laid down the burden of his 73 years’ pilgrimage without a stain or blemish on his character. He was a man of whom not an ill word could be spoken. Whether in adversity or prosperity, he was the same kindly and considerate man. Possessed of an affable and genial disposition, he was loved by the plain people and universally respected. Mr. Reed was always ready to contribute his support toward every deserving enterprise, and his loss to Placer County, particularly this section, is an irreparable one. He was practically the father of the State Agricultural Society, and the success of that institution is due largely to his early support of it. The funeral took place from his late residence Wednesday afternoon, Rev. J. T. Shurtleff, Rector of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, officiating. The remains were followed to their last resting place by a large concourse of people, thus attesting the esteem in which Mr. Reed was held by all who knew him. The pall bearers were Dr. T. M. Todd, W. A. Freeman, W. F. Wildman, J. L. Grimes of Auburn; Geo. W. Applegate and Geo. Johnson of San Francisco.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 2-10-1928
Newcomer in Roseville Passed Away Monday

William I. Reed was born in Iowa August 3, 1864, and passed from this life at Roseville, California, February 6, 1928, after a brief illness. While declining health had been his lot for several years during which he had traveled extensively in the hopes of obtaining relief. Leaving his native state before reaching his majority, he took up his residence in Idaho where he engaged in the occupation of agriculture and also followed his trade of a mechanic. On May 10, 1890, he was united in marriage with Miss Emma Ball. To this union were born the following children who, with the bereaved widow, survive:  Thomas, Charles, Sidney, Richard, Julietta, and Isabelle Reed of Roseville, where the family moved but a week ago. They had also lived for some time in Washington and Oregon without deriving the needed health of the father who in early life was ambitious and of even temperament, taking life’s misfortunes with a cheerful outlook. The peaceful end came at the close of the day as he was approaching his 64th year of a life noted by extended journeys in several states as he endeavored to provide for his large family upon limited strength, but always in hopes of the better day. The funeral services were held from the chapel of Broyer & Magner in Roseville, with Rev. T. H. Mee officiating, and Mrs. M. C. Hewett and Mrs. B. C. Knapp singing two selected hymns. Interment was in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 11-14-1913
A Fatal Runaway Accident

The many friends of Professor J. E. Reinck of Loomis will be shocked to hear of his most untimely death which occurred as the result of an accident. Last Thursday night while the aged gentleman was driving a rather spirited horse on his return from the home of a pupil at Roseville, the horse suddenly became frightened at a switch engine while passing along Atlantic Street immediately in front of the West House. Veering sharply to the right, the horse brought the buggy in which the Professor was seated into a sharp, quick cramp, throwing the unfortunate driver beneath the vehicle and rendering him unconscious. The horse also went down. The unconscious victim was carried into the parlors of the West House by Stewart Clark and Thomas Chaves, and Dr. B. Woodbridge immediately summoned. After a hasty examination, the injury was diagnosed as concussion of the brain, and heroic measures were immediately resorted to in a vain effort to restore consciousness. He passed away within a couple of hours after being removed to the hotel. The deceased was born in Germany 57 years ago and received his musical education in some of the finest conservatories of the Fatherland. He migrated to this country more that twenty-five years ago, coming directly to Placer County. During his long residence here, he has made a host of lasting friends, to whom he has endeared himself by his sheer nobility of character, coupled with his unusual talent as a musician and instructor. Professor Reinck was quite well known in Lincoln, as he has had a number of pupils in music here for the past three or four years. He was highly esteemed by all who knew him, a man of culture, refinement, and polish which made him always a pleasure to meet.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-1-1915
Died at Hayward

Mrs. Zella J. Reineck died at the home of her father at Hayward, Cal., Saturday. The cause of death was tuberculosis. She had been ill for some time. She was at the time of her death 31 years, 3 months, and 4 days of age, and leaves to mourn her  death two daughters, one 5 and the other 10 years old, besides her father at Hayward and an uncle, Ike Hinkle, at Folsom. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Partridge, and interment was made in the IOOF Cemetery. The body was brought here from Hayward Saturday night. Mrs. Reineck’s husband met death accidentally here November 6, 1913, when his horse threw him out of his buggy in front of the West House, and he died shortly after that from the injuries received. They were formerly residents of Penryn.

Roseville Register, Friday, 11-7-1913
Is Thrown from Buggy and Fatal Injuries Result - Professor Reinicke of Loomis Is Victim of Fatal Accident - Was Well-Known Teacher of Piano - Sudden Death Is Severe Shock to Family and Many Friends

The many friends of Professor J. E. Reinicke of Loomis will be shocked to hear of his most untimely death, which occurred as the result of an accident. About 6:30 last night while the aged gentleman was driving a rather spirited horse on his return from the home of a pupil, the horse suddenly became frightened at a switch engine while passing along Atlantic Street immediately in front of the West House. Veering sharply to the right, the horse brought the buggy in which the Professor was seated into a sharp, quick cramp, throwing the unfortunate driver beneath the vehicle and rendering him unconscious. The horse also went down. The unconscious victim was carried into the parlors of the West House by Stewart Clark and Thomas Chaves, and Dr. B. Woodbridge immediately summoned. After a hasty examination, the injury was diagnosed as concussion of the brain, and heroic measures were immediately resorted to in a vain effort to restore consciousness. He passed away within a couple of hours after being removed to the hotel. Coroner J. G. Bisbee empanelled a jury at the undertaking parlors of Cahen & Hammer this morning for the inquest. No definite funeral arrangements have as yet been made, but it is probable that the body of the late Professor will be interred in the local cemetery tomorrow morning. The deceased was born in Germany 68 years ago and received his musical education in some of the finest conservatories of the Fatherland. He migrated to this country more than twenty-five years ago, coming directly to Placer County. During his long residence here, he has made a host of lasting friends to whom he has endeared himself by his sheer nobility of character, coupled with his unusual talent as a musician and instructor. The Professor has passed to his reward, but his honored memory will live while time lasts in the hearts of all who knew him. His widow, who is prostrated from shock, and two small children survive him. A long distance telephone message was sent to Isaac Hinkler of Folsom, an uncle of Mrs. Reinicke’s to come to Roseville at once to console the distracted wife in her hour of sorest trial.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 2-27-1914
Two Men Shot and Killed

Sam Renaldi, Marshal of Rocklin, and U. S. Holmes, the saloon man, were engaged in a pistol duel Wednesday night in front of a livery stable. Both died in Sacramento from their wounds Thursday night. Holmes was the first to die. He was hit four times, two of the wounds being probably fatal. He was operated on at the Sisters’ Hospital but passed away late in the afternoon despite repeated attempts to save him. He had been taken to Sacramento by automobile by his mother, a Mrs. Watts, as soon as she was notified, but the wounds he had received were too severe. Renaldi was hit only once. The bullet entered his right side, flattened and then pursued a varied course through his intestines. The intestines were punctured fifteen times by fragments of the bullet. He died at 11 o’clock Thursday. His remains were shipped to Rocklin for interment. He has a mother and sister residing at Rocklin. He was 37 years of age and a native of California. Thomas Armston is serving as marshal in Renaldi’s place. The pistol duel occurred following Holmes’ refusal to surrender to the peace official. The saloon man had gone about town threatening to shoot persons with his revolver and had appeared repeatedly at the home of Ella Huvey, a woman who worked in his restaurant here which he ran in connection with his saloon, and made threats against her. Holmes appeared at the livery stable where a crowd was discussing his action, and when Renaldi called upon him to surrender he started to pull his gun. Renaldi beat him to it and fired five shots to Holmes’ two. The town of Rocklin is liable up to $5,000 under the Employers’ Liability Act for the killing of Town Marshal Samuel Renaldi in a revolver duel with U. S. Holmes here last week. As the town had not taken out insurance for its officials, any liability will have to be met from the taxes.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Wednesday, 10-10-1851
Local Resident’s Kin Is Killed in Korea

A “killed in action” report on T/S C. E. “Rennee” Renfrow was received yesterday by Mrs. A. B. Hagele, his mother-in-law, whose residence is at 640 Elefa Street. The report stated Renfrow died in combat in Korea on September 29. He was attached to the 7th Airborne Squadron and had been in the air corps since 1940, serving in the Pacific and Panama zones during World War II. Renfrow, after honorable discharge, worked in the Southern Pacific shops in Roseville. He re-enlisted in April 1947. He is survived by his wife, Jean, and three sons, Robert, John and Eddie, all of Vallejo; his parents and a brother and sister in Illinois; and another brother, Neal, who currently is stationed at Camp Stoneman.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-31-1919
John Renz, an Old Pioneer Passes

John Renz was born in Germany in 1842 and passed from this life at Roseville, January 25, 1919, having reached the age of 77 years. The first 27 years of his life were spent in the land of his birth which he left in 1869, coming to America where he had since lived. For a short time he resided in Michigan and then came to California. In 1876 he was united in marriage with Mary E. Robb at Woodland. Shortly after, this young couple went to Tulare where they lived for some 30 years. About 10 years ago, they came to Roseville which had since been his home. His chief occupation had been farming. He was energetic and for one of his years, did considerable work even up to the time of his sudden departure. For the past few years, he had not enjoyed the best of health but was loath to complain. He was a man of few words but made many friends who always appreciated his cordial greeting. He was one in a family of eight children, two brothers and five sisters of whom there is but one surviving, Christian Renz of Michigan. Besides his faithful companion for more than two score years, he leaves three sons, George and Fred of Roseville and Louis of Imperial, California, and two daughters, Mrs. Alice Dice of Santa Ana and Mrs. Barbara Slayton of Tulare.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Friday, 11-15-1872

Sad Accident - On last Saturday evening as the stage which runs between Colfax and Iowa Hill was going down the grade to the river, the horses became unmanageable, caused by a valise falling from the seat upon them. One of the wheels, striking a rock, threw both the occupants, Charley Rice who was driving, and Miss Annie Hawkins of Iowa Hill, violently to the ground, instantly killing the driver. The team was thrown off the grade, killing one of the horses and making a complete wreck of the wagon. The only injury sustained by Miss Hawkins was a few slight bruises. The deceased was a very promising and intelligent young man, and the only son of Charles Rice, who resides at Mineral Bar.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 8-18-1877
Who Knows Her Relatives?

A correspondent of the Argus at Roseville has sent us a death announcement which will be found in another column—that of Mrs. Rice which occurred at that place last Saturday, August 11th. We are requested to give the following particulars:  About a year ago, Mr. Rice and his wife came to Roseville from Nevada City. Rice left his wife at the hotel and went to the mountains mining. Soon afterward, he returned and removed her to the house of Capt. Brown to board and again left for the mines. In course of time, Mrs. Rice gave birth to a child—a girl. Time passed and no tidings reached her from her absent husband, and knowing nothing of his whereabouts, the mother went to work in a family to gain a livelihood for herself and babe as she was without means. About two months ago, the babe was taken sick and died. Shortly after the child’s death, the mother’s health gave way. She was taken back to Capt. Brown’s house where Mrs. Burns, the captain’s daughter, nursed her and gave her every attention. She gradually sank, however. She had no desire to live but rather to be laid in the grave beside her child. She felt sure that her husband was dead and did not believe that he was capable of deserting her, as she said they had lived happily together for three years. She said she knew he could not have deserted her. She came to California about five years ago with her father, mother, two sisters, and a brother from Cold Springs, Cattaraugus County, New York. It is not known where any of her relatives are living—perhaps she herself did not know. All that is known of her history, in addition to what has been stated, is that her maiden name was Lucy Luzell, and that she and her husband had resided in Nevada City before coming to Roseville. She was well educated and had evidently moved in the higher circles of society. The citizens of Roseville subscribed enough money to bury her respectably. A very large funeral procession followed the remains to the Odd Fellows’ Cemetery where she was buried. This is published in the hope that it may reach the notice of her relatives or husband, if living.

[Submitter’s note:  The surname Luzell might be the phonetic spelling of Loiselle.]

Roseville Press-Tribune, Wednesday, 5-29-1968
Roseville High Grad of ’65 Killed in Vietnam

Danny K. Rich, 20, Spec. 5th, US Army, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert H. Rich, 1405 Oakmont Drive, Roseville, was killed in action during a mortar barrage near Khe San, Vietnam on May 13. He was a member of Company B. First Airborne Cavalry and had been in Vietnam for the past 15 months, assigned to demolition work. A native of Washington, Iowa, Danny attended grade school in Roseville and was graduated in 1965 from Roseville High School. In addition to his parents, he is survived by a sister, Connie Rae, 17, and a brother, Jerry Lee, 12. He will be buried in the Court of Honor at Mount Vernon Memorial Park with services set for 2 PM Monday.

Placer Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 10-18-1873
Sad and Fatal Accident

On Wednesday evening last, a short time before the men working in the quarry of G. Griffith at Penryn got through with their labors for the day, a blast was put off in one of the pits for the purpose of throwing down a large body of rock. After the blast, J. J. Richards, foreman of the quarry, and Edmund Russell, one of the workmen, went into the pit for the purpose of examining the result of the blast, when the bank above them fell, killing them instantly. The employees of the quarry and citizens of Penryn commenced immediately the work of recovering the bodies, but owing to the fact that the body of rock which fell was so great and required blasting to remove it, it was nearly twelve o’clock at night before they were taken out. The body of Richards was found to be mutilated and mashed in a horrible manner; that of Russell was less mangled, but one arm was cut entirely off, one leg and shoulder broken, and skull mashed. Both men were doubtless instantly killed. The rock and debris which fell upon them is estimated to weigh about fifty tons. Mr. Richards was a member of California Lodge, No. 1, IOOF of San Francisco, and his body was taken to San Francisco on Friday by J. H. Rittinger and Thomas Cain, a committee appointed by Auburn Lodge, for interment. He was a native of New York, aged 39 years. Mr. Russell was a native of Cork, Ireland; aged 27 years; a member of Auburn Lodge, No. 7, IOOF, by which Lodge he was buried yesterday at Odd Fellows Cemetery in Auburn.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Monday, 8-22-1966

Clifford L. Richardson, 41, of 362 Linden Avenue, Auburn, died August 18 in Sacramento. A native of Long Beach, he came to Placer County nearly 40 years ago and had been a resident of Auburn for the past nine years, associated with the Ted Fowler Chevron Service Station. He was a veteran of World War II. Funeral services will be at 2:30 PM Tuesday in the Auburn Ward Chapel, Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints. Bishop William J. Mitchell will officiate. The Citrus Heights Chapel, Price and Shoemaker Northridge Funeral Service, is in charge. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Johna V. Richardson, Auburn; four daughters, Johna B. Richardson, Meadow Vista, Norma Woodruff, Fremont, and Carol and Ruth Richardson, Auburn; a son, Robert Richardson, Murray, Utah; a brother, Glenn Richardson, Sacramento; and a sister, Velma Maize, Auburn.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 4-30-1930
Harley Richardson Is Summoned While Visiting in Oakland

News of the sudden death of Harley R. Richardson came as a distinct shock to friends here yesterday. He had lived in Roseville for 14 years until three months ago when he went to Oakland to be near his mother. Last week he returned and had completed arrangements that would bring him back to locate here within the next few days. With this in mind, he returned Sunday to Oakland to complete plans for returning. He was stricken ill Monday and died on the evening of the same day. The deceased was born September 27, 1900, at Edgemont, South Dakota. He was a member of the graduating class of 1921 of the Roseville Union High School. For a number of years he was employed in a clerical capacity in the car department of the Southern Pacific Company. He was an active member of the Roseville 20-30 Club. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. O. X. Owen of Oakland, and by his father, H. R. Richardson of Sacramento.

Roseville Tribune, Tuesday, 10-22-1918

Rachel Hester Richmond, wife of John Chester Richmond of Roseville, passed away Thursday, Oct. 17th at 12:30 AM. Mrs. Richmond was the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Caldwell of Roseville. She was born Nov. 3rd, 1898 near Rocklin, and her whole life was spent in Placer County - eight years of which was lived in Roseville. She was a graduate of the local high school with the class of 1917. Was married to John Chester Richmond, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Richmond of this city, July 25th, 1917. Funeral services were held in West’s Undertaking Parlors, Friday, Oct. 18 at 4 PM, and the body laid to rest in the IOOF Cemetery. Rev. G. L. Snyder of Sparks, Nevada, formerly pastor of the local Baptist Church, conducted the services. A host of friends join in sympathy for the parents and young husband of this most worthy woman. [Submitter’s note: Cause of death was influenza.]

Roseville Register, Thursday, 8-2-1918
Obituary - Clara Richter was born in Germany in 1862 where she lived for 18 years when she was united in marriage with Conrad W. Richter, whom she accompanied to South Africa where she remained until 1903. While there she endured much hardship and privation, especially during the Boer War when she was made a prisoner, being not only deprived of her freedom but also of considerable wealth which by her painstaking and industrious habits she, with her companion, had accumulated. At the conclusion of hostilities, she accompanied her husband to California, settling in Alameda where they engaged in the hotel business until two years ago when they came to Roseville. During most of her residence here, she had been in poor health but continued her diligent habits. She suffered greatly during the last few days of her life and though she would gladly have tarried longer by the side of her faithful helpmate, she welcomed her release from this tabernacle of clay for a home in the eternal city. During most of her useful life, she had been a devout member of the Lutheran Church, being an example of good works. In spite of many reverses, she persevered in the hopes of regaining their lost fortune, and amid it all she never lost faith in her Lord and master. Realizing full well that the end was fast approaching, she set her house in order thus leaving not only a benediction of a life service, but also the fond anticipation of a happy reunion beyond the skies. She was the last of a family of two sisters, thus leaving only a loving devoted husband to honor the cherished memory of his companion for nearly two score years, besides many friends in the various places she had resided. Interment was in the IOF Cemetery Monday morning.

Placer County Republican (Auburn), Friday, 3-2-1894
A Miner Killed

A sad accident occurred on Friday afternoon about half past five o’clock at the Three Stars Mine by which a young man named John H. Riddell, a native of England, lost his life. The mine is in the Ophir district and is distant from Auburn about 5 miles. Riddell had only arrived in this city from Raymond, Cal., three days before and registered at the Freeman Hotel. He commenced work at the mine Thursday noon, having been engaged by Superintendent B. T. Hartley, and when the accident occurred, it was his second shift. It appears that it was his duty to load cars at the foot on the incline about 80 feet from the surface. He had loaded a car and signaled to the engineer to hoist it to the surface. The car reached the top all right and as it did, Frank Hartley, the Superintendent’s son who was tending to the cars on the surface, signaled for the hoisting to stop. The car went on to the runway, but the hook that connects the cable to the car had not been properly secured, for when the machinery stopped, the hook became disconnected and fell to the ground. This caused the car to recede towards the mouth of the shaft, and the blacksmith, who was about to take the measurement for a key, noticed the movement and ran towards the car. He saw that the cable was disconnected and called Hartley to come and help him stop the car. They couldn’t do it, however, and although the excitement was great, he sent Hartley to sound the alarm to the men below of the impending disaster. This he did, and a man working on the breast about fifty feet away from Riddell heard the alarm and was amazed to see Riddell standing as if stupefied in the path of the descending car. The next instant, it struck Riddell, knocking him a distance of about twenty-five feet. It is believed that death was instantaneous. The Coroner was immediately notified, and an investigation discovered bruises on his back in the region of the heart and on his nose and forehead. There were no bones broken so far as could be ascertained, and he evidently died from the shock. An inquest was held by the Coroner, who impaneled a jury and after full investigation, a verdict was rendered to the effect that the deceased came to his death through his own carelessness in not having properly secured the cable to the car.

The remains were brought to Auburn where they were interred in the Odd Fellow Cemetery on Saturday afternoon, the Rev. Mr. Parker of the M. E. Church officiating. The decease appeared to be well connected in England. Mr. Quine of the Three Stars Mine, an Englishman, undertook to notify the dead man’s relatives of the sad affair and to ask instructions as to his personal property. Riddell had not long returned from a visit to his friends in England, and according to the letters found on his person, was held in high esteem by them.

Roseville Register, Friday, 10-23-1914
Auto Turns Turtle; Kills and Injures

The turning turtle of an automobile caused the death of W. M. Ridley and seriously injured Miss Maggie Farrel Sunday afternoon. The accident happened at Ben Ali, a substation near Sacramento, and was not the fault of the occupants of the car. They met another car at the railroad crossing, and the other car did not leave quite sufficient room for the car to pass, making it necessary to make a short, quick turn, causing the automobile to turn over. Mr. Ridley was pinned underneath the machine and after being taken out was rushed to a Sacramento hospital where everything possible was done to save his life, but of no avail; he died at midnight. Miss Farrel is recovering. Two other occupants of the car, J. McNear and Miss Maggie McNear, both of whom were thrown clear out of the machine and escaped with minor but painful injuries. Mr. Ridley was an old and respected citizen of Roseville and was at the time of his death 70 years, 10 months and 25 days. He leaves two sons, Arthur and Albert, to mourn his untimely death. The funeral was held Wednesday from the residence of the deceased, and interment was made in the Roseville Cemetery. A large concourse of friends followed the remains to the last resting place.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 4-4-1918
Obituary - William E. Rieder was born in New York on June 28, 1881, and passed to his eternal reward from Roseville on March 24, 1918. In his native state he acquired his education, attaining to young manhood and then came west in 1901. He settled in Colorado, when a year later he was united in marriage with Miss Anna Bippel, this union being blessed with four children. Shortly after their marriage, he returned to New York where they remained four years, after which they came to Salt Lake for two years. For the past seven years, Ely, Nevada, had been their home. The severity of the climate there necessitated a change to a lower altitude, Roseville being chosen a month ago. Everything that medical aid and loving hands could do was unavailing, his coronation coming Sunday evening just as the church bells were calling the worshipers for sacred devotions. Thus the suffering of more than a year terminated in his transition from the stern realities of this life to the land of the unsetting sun. His longing for health and the continued enjoyment of his devoted family was not granted, but in his promotion to a higher service he stands ready to meet them as one by one their summons is given. He was a devoted husband and a loving father, while his business associates found in him a friend of sterling worth. The greater portion of his active life was spent in railroading, being a brakeman for the Nevada Northern until failing health necessitated his retirement. He was an honored member of the Fraternal Order of Free and Accepted Masons.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 5-3-1879

H. C. Ring, an old resident of Auburn, familiarly known as Clay Ring, was found drowned in the Bear River Ditch near Bloomer Ranch last Saturday evening. It is supposed he fell in while suffering from a fit. A verdict in accordance with this theory was returned by the coroner’s jury. He had been an inmate of the County Hospital for some months, but during the daytime was in the habit of going out prospecting. He was a native of Indiana, 45 years of age.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 11-13-1929
E. L. Rippey, 62, of Loomis Answers Call

E. L. Rippey, 62, prominent fruit grower of Loomis and native California, died at the Sutter Hospital in Sacramento yesterday morning after an illness of one week. Rippey is survived by his wife, Lulu Rippey; three children, Mrs. D. J. Gautier of Roseville, Edmund Rippey of Loomis and Mrs. Lillian Vail of Roseville; three brothers, George, William and Walter Rippey; and three sisters, Mrs. Laura Smith, Mrs. Jessie Jones and Mrs. George Wilson. Funeral services will be held at 10 o’clock Thursday morning from the Loomis Congregational Church. Interment will be in the Newcastle Cemetery. Rippey was manager of the Fruit Growers’ Association of Loomis for 20 years. He also was on the board of directors of Loomis Bank. He was a member of the Masonic order of Penryn.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 6-27-1928
Victim of Shooting Here April 29 Died in Sacramento Last Week

Adolfo Rivera, who was found critically wounded on Vernon Street in this city on the night of April 29, died in a Sacramento hospital last week. Rivera had four bullet wounds and five knife wounds on his body. He was taken to the county hospital at Auburn where, after lingering for several weeks, he began to improve and left the hospital a few weeks ago against the advice of the physician. He collapsed on a Sacramento street. Following the shooting, Salvador and Rosario Cortez, brothers, were arrested, charged with assault with deadly weapon with intent to kill, and have since been held in the county jail. Their trial was set for the 25th but has been postponed until August 1st after the death of Rivera. Rivera seemed to have held but little feeling of vindictiveness against the Cortez brothers, and when he was asked if he thought they ought to be punished, he replied, “a little.”

Roseville Register, Friday, 8-22-1912
Switchman Killed While Performing his Duty

Another fatal accident occurred in the yard here last Tuesday evening at 3 o’clock when Charles Andrew Roberts, aged 19 years, 11 months, and 20 days, had his life crushed out while performing his duty as switchman. He was riding the head car on a string of 11 loaded fruit cars that had been cut off and were running down to the PFE platform to be iced. He was standing on the footboard and had his hands on the brake to “spot” the cars at the right point. The bulkhead at the end of the track gave way and carried him under the ice chute, and he was crushed between the end of the car and an iron post and brace supporting the chute. There were two witnesses to the accident, and the train had to be pulled up before young Roberts’ body could be released. Dr. Woodbridge was at once summoned, but life was extinct. Coroner Bisbee was notified and came down and held an inquest, and the verdict was that “deceased met his death by being crushed between the car he was riding, in performance of his duty, and the iron post and brace supporting the ice chute, the car exceeding its distance by reason of a defective bulkhead.” The deceased was born in Rocklin and lived with his parents here in Roseville and was a hard working and popular young man. He has two brothers and two sisters, the latter living in Roseville. He has been in the employ of the company for some time and last month joined the BRT from which order he will receive $15000. The funeral was conducted from the Presbyterian Church yesterday afternoon by Rev. Jackson, and the interment was in the IOOF Cemetery under direction of Undertaker Cahn. A large crowd showed their respect and sympathy by attending the funeral, and the bereaved family have the sympathy of the community.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 11-8-1879

David Roberts, one of the stockholders of the Hidden Treasure Mine at Sunnysouth, attempted suicide on Friday night, October 31st, by shooting himself with a Henry rifle. He had been drinking heavily for some days, and while in a drunken frenzy, he committed the rash act. He placed the muzzle of the gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger,but owing to his stooping position, the ball, instead of passing directly through his head and killing him instantly, penetrated in a slanting side-long direction, tearing out one of his eyes, shattering the temple bone, and laying bare the brain. He afterwards attempted to re-load the gun and make a surer job of it, but the pain and physical weakness compelled him to desist. He then opened his window and called for help. A messenger was dispatched for Dr. Petterson at Iowa Hill. The doctor did what he could under the circumstances, but this was not much, and Roberts died on Monday.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Tuesday, 8-23-1966

Ella Elizabeth Roberts, born 82 years ago in Illinois and a resident of Loomis for the past 24 years, died August 20 in an Auburn hospital. She was a retired employee of Highland General Hospital, Auburn. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Velma Odgen of Loomis; a son, Winfred N. McAlister of Montana; a sister, Mrs. Pearl Bonnett, and a brother, Stanley Goldman, both of Illinois; 12 grandchildren; and 18 great-grandchildren. Funeral services were today at 2 PM in the Loomis Methodist Church under the direction of Sands’ Foothill Chapel. The Rev. John Corson officiated. Burial was in the Roseville Cemetery.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Monday, 6-10-1985

1927 – May 20, 1985. Mary Ellen Roberts, a Roseville resident for 19 years and nurse at Roseville Community Hospital, died May 20. She was 58. Born in Titusville, PA, Mrs. Roberts was preceded in death by her husband, Chester Roberts. Mrs. Roberts is survived by three sons, Daniel Bond of Meadville, PA; P. Popeski of Honolulu, HI; and Joseph Roberts of Roseville; and two daughters, Fraulien Smith of Manassas, VA, and Marilee Edmonson of Roseville. She is also survived by her parents, John and Helen Shuffstall of Titusville; two sisters, Jackie Brown of Oil City, PA, and Judy Manross of Florida; and eight grandchildren. A private memorial service will be held at Sacramento Memorial Lawn Mortuary.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-31-1919

Stephen Dunsmuir Roberts, son of Charles A. and Julia Roberts, was born March 1, 1888, at Dunsmuir, California, and died at Colfax Sunday, January 26 at 11:30 AM, aged 31 years. When he was six years old, his parents removed from Dunsmuir to the city of Rocklin. It was here that he was reared and where he began to attend the public school. At Rocklin and later in Roseville he received his machinist training, which trade he followed until his death. He was a resident of Roseville for about five years. For the last three years, he resided at Colfax where he was assistant foreman of the locomotive department. In 1911 he was united in marriage to Nellie Howard of Loomis. This marriage was a very happy one. To the sorrowing wife, our love goes out in this her hour of sorrow. Besides his loving wife, he is survived by three children, Charles Howard, age six; Dorothy Mabel, age two; and Stephen Earle, age seven days. Also loved and mourned by his mother, Julia E. Roberts, to whom he was a great source of comfort and help when help was needed; his sisters, Mrs. Mabel Connelly, Mrs. Nellie Keene, and Miss Sarah Roberts of Roseville; and a brother, William J. Roberts of Palo Alto. He was also a brother of the late Charles A. Roberts who passed to the beyond in 1912. All who knew him admired and loved him for himself. Besides his immediate relatives, he leaves a host of sorrowing friends.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Wednesday, 11-28-1951
C. A. Robertson Rites Today

Last rites for Charles A. Robertson, 59, owner and operator for many years of Rob’s Cigar Store on Vernon Street, will be held at 10 o’clock this morning in Lambert Funeral Home. Private entombment will follow in East Lawn, Sacramento. Robertson was a native of Wisconsin and resided here at 205 Jefferson Street. He died Sunday at Auburn after an extended illness. He was a member of Sacramento Elks Lodge No. 6 for 30 years; Snowshed Lodge No. 743 of Trainmen; Roseville Eagles, No. 1583; Minneopa Tribe of Redmen of Roseville; Lolomi Council Degree of Pocahontas, Roseville; and Footprinters Association of Sacramento. Survivors include his wife, Gertrude Robertson of Roseville; two sisters, Mrs. Mabel Hebron of Spokane, Washington, and Mrs. Alice Walsh of Athol, Idaho; and a brother, George Robertson of Boyd, Wisconsin.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 2-20-1914
Pioneer Woman Dies

One by one, the older and well known residents of Auburn are called into the higher realm of life. The call came to Mrs. May Tenny Robie, Tuesday evening, a few minutes after five o’clock. Mrs. Robie had been a shut-in invalid for quite a while and confined to her bed for some weeks, during which times she made a strong fight for life. Tuesday morning it became apparent that the end of the battle was near, but she kept up the fight till the last moment and was conscious until within a minute of her passing. Mrs. Robie was born at Corinth, Vermont, May 11, 1847, was married to the late John H. Robie, March 7, 1866, and with her husband came to California in March 1882, making Towle where Mr. Robie was employed by the Towle Brothers’ Lumber Company their first home in the Golden State. Five years later they came to Auburn where they made their permanent home. Mr. Robie passed away the 30th of last June, and Mrs. Robie has been on the decline since that sad event of her life. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Robie, one a daughter who died when she was about five years of age, and a son Edward T. Robie who is one of the sterling citizens of Auburn, respected and honored by all who came in touch with him, either in business or social life. The funeral will take place from the Congregational Church Thursday afternoon at three o’clock. The service will be under the auspices of the Woman’s Relief Corps and the church services by the pastor. The body will be taken to Oakland on the evening train.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 12-7-1878

Died - At Lincoln, November 30th, 1878, W. B. Robinson, aged 49 years. The funeral was conducted by the Masonic Fraternity, of which order deceased was an honorable member, and the high estimation in which he was held by his fellow citizens was manifested by the large attendance at the funeral, there being over sixty well-filled carriages which followed the remains to Manzanita Grove Cemetery.

Roseville Register, Friday, 3-7-1913
Tragic Death of Loomis Man - Well Known Resident of Loomis Kills Himself - Friends Are Uncertain Whether Death Was Accident or with Suicidal Intent

D. F. Roddan, a retired Baptist minister and well-known resident of Loomis, was killed instantly Wednesday afternoon by the discharge of a shotgun which blew off the top of his head. Reports that come of the affair are contradictory, and whether the death was accidental or intentional will probably never be known positively. Some of his friends affirm that the death must have been accidental as Roddan had no cause to suicide. He was the senior member of the Loomis Carnation Co. and had been a resident of Loomis for a number of years. One account of the tragedy states that Roddan was engaged in cleaning the firearm and did not know that there was a cartridge in it and accidentally touched the trigger, the barrel being in line with his head, the fatal result followed. Roddan had been a highly respected Baptist minister and has resided in Loomis since retiring from the ministry. He was sixty years of age and is survived by his wife, four sons, and three daughters.

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 2-19-1930
One Killed, Another Hurt in Orchard Blast

Manuel Rodgers of Newcastle died at Auburn Friday night from injuries he received Thursday afternoon in the premature explosion of caps used in blasting trees in an orchard near Newcastle. Manuel Gomez, fellow worker of Rodgers, was reported at the Highland Sanitarium as having a possible chance to recover. Gomez lost both hands and both eyes. Rodgers suffered a severe chest wound and the loss of an eye. Gomez told Dr. L. B. Barnes of Auburn, who was called to the ranch to administer first aid, that he was attaching a cap to a fuse leading to a charge of dynamite beneath a tree when the cap burst. The dynamite was not set off. Gomez was holding other caps in his hand at the time of the blast and these also were set off.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 9-20-1917
N. P. Rogers, Retired Wealthy Rancher of Pleasant Grove, Dies in Auburn

AUBURN, Sept. 18 - Nathaniel Perkins Rogers, a retired farmer from the western part of the county who has resided several years in this city, died at his home Friday, aged 77 years. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at 1 o’clock from the home of his son, Frank Rogers, and the interment will take place in the Odd Fellows Cemetery. Rev. L. B. Hinman of Sacramento, an old friend of the family, was the officiating clergyman. For years the decedent farmed in the vicinity of Pleasant Grove and he reared a large family, all the children being now grown. Mr. Rogers was a native of Connecticut but came to California sixty-four years ago in 1853, being one of the oldest residents of this part of the state. He was a successful farmer of the old school and built up a comfortable fortune, enabling him to retire when age laid its hand upon him. Mr. Rogers was a man of excellent qualities, and his kindly manner won many friends for him during his residence in Auburn. A great many friends of the other days will learn of his demise with sincere regret. Besides his sons and daughters, he is survived by his wife.

Sacramento Daily Union, 07-13-1857

At Auburn, July 5th, Siffroid E. Roussin, in the 43d year of his age.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Friday, 9-13-1872

Reward for a Murderer - The Sacramento Union of the 7th says:  Governor Booth has offered a reward of $500 for the arrest and conviction of the murderer or murderers of A. F. Rose near Lincoln, Placer County, on the 30th of March last. Rose was aroused from his bed in the night by parties knocking at the door, and he and his wife got up. He at first refused to open the door, but the men outside threatened to break it open. He then unlocked the door, and as it was thrown open several pistol shots were fired, two of which took effect and he died the next morning. Two men were seen by Mrs. Rose, each of whom wore a white mask. In the morning, six such masks were found in the neighborhood which had been thrown away, it is supposed, by the murderers.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 6-27-1874
Suicide near Dutch Flat

Last Monday the village of Dutch Flat was thrown into a great excitement by one of the most desperate and bloody tragedies every known in the annals of self-murder. Young Rosey, the victim, was well known to everybody in the vicinity, and his sudden and shocking death took everyone by surprise. Wm. Rosey is a German by birth but came to this state from Ohio where he has a mother and sister. He was about thirty years of age and was employed as engineer at Green Valley but had formerly been in the employ of Towle Bros. at Alta and performed the deed that took him out of this sphere of existence in a little cabin that he had himself helped to build on their premises at the Canyon Creek sawmills. On Monday, Mr. Rosey appeared at the mills where he was well known to all the hands and asked Mr. Bailey, an old friend, to give him some paper as he wanted to write some letters. Bailey furnished him the paper and told him to go into his cabin, which was within a few feet of the engine room and do his writing. After writing for some time, he came back to where Bailey was and gave him a letter, asking him to have it mailed. While talking, he was perfectly cool and collected, and no one dreamed that he was deliberately planning his own destruction and making the necessary arrangements. On being asked for a chew of tobacco, he gave Bailey a plug of that article and declined taking it back, saying that he had no further use for it, and on turning to leave, in reply to an inquiry as to when they should see him again, he said “about the Fourth of July.” Returning to the little cabin, he lay down on the bed and, placing the muzzle of a small Smith & Wesson revolver to his right temple, fired. The ball glanced off and, ploughing across his forehead, inflicted an ugly flesh wound but did not seriously injure him. Determined to accomplish his purpose, he fired another chamber, the ball this time penetrating the skull but still not producing death. With a resolution rarely witnessed, he again turned the deadly weapon against his life. Wounded and dying, he placed the muzzle against the inner corner of his left eye and buried another ball in his brain. By this time, the repeated shots had attracted attention, and his former comrades rushed to the cabin to find him stretched unconscious on the bed, covered with blood and in a dying condition. A physician was hastily summoned from Dutch Flat, but to no purpose, death ensuing at four o’clock PM, about three hours after the shooting. On the table near him was found a note addressed to the Odd Fellows Lodge of Dutch Flat, of which he was a member, requesting them to give his body a decent burial, and after paying funeral expenses and erecting a tombstone over his grave, to transmit what money was left to his mother and sister in Ohio. He noted minutely all the particulars about his business, and the directions for the disposal of his body were written in clear language and in an unshaken hand. As requested, the Odd Fellows took charge of the remains, and under their directions they were consigned to the grave on the following day at three o’clock PM. As usual, there is a woman at the bottom of the case, and disappointed love is supposed to be the cause of the desperate deed. Mrs. Calhoun to whose fascinations and flirtations Rosey’s death is ascribed has once before figured in a love, jealousy, and murder romance, and the terrible tragedy of a few months ago in which she so nearly lost her life is still fresh in the memory of our citizens. Rumor gives it that Rosey and Mr. Calhoun were both suitors for the favors of the fascinating young widow, Mrs. Orange Boke, and that with charming impartiality she engaged herself to both. Calhoun, however, carried off the prize, but his bride continued to flirt with her former lover to such an extent that his jealousy was aroused, and on the 28th of February, after a short trial of married life, he shot his wife in the face, inflicting a severe but not dangerous wound and blew out his own brains. Mrs. Calhoun, freed from the encumbrance of a jealous husband, seems to have returned at once to her flirtations, and Rosey, quite infatuated, has been her devoted follower. On Sunday last, he accompanied her to Sacramento, returning on the freight train to Dutch Flat that night. It is presumed that his suit was unsuccessful or that his feelings had been trifled with to such an extent as to render his life unbearable, as it was but a few hours after his return that he committed the fatal act. The letter entrusted to Bailey to be mailed was addressed to her and, if opened, might throw some light on the transaction.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 12-9-1915

Abraham Ross was born in the state of Virginia in the year 1840, and he died at his home in Rocklin on December 3rd, 1915 at the age of 75 years, four months, and 20 days. Abraham Ross and Miss Mary Long were married in 1871 and to this happy union two daughters and five sons were born. He had made his home in Rocklin for a number of years. He leaves a loving wife, Mrs. Mary Ross, and sons Samuel T., Frank L., Richard A., of Rocklin, Glenn D. of Red Bluff; and daughters Mrs. Minnie Perkins and Mrs. Ulrey of San Francisco. Two sisters, Mrs. Eliza Cothren of Mt. Sterling, Iowa, and Mrs. Jessie H. Folker of Fannington, Iowa, and a brother Aaron Ross of Roseville also survive. He united with the Methodist Church when a young man and in his earlier days was an active worker in the vineyard of the Lord. His father was a Methodist minister. He died in peace and in the last hours expressed a great desire to be with friends who had gone before. May God bless the heart-stricken ones. The funeral services were conducted at the Roseville M. E. Church by the pastor, Rev. Mee, assisted by the Congregational pastor of Rocklin.

Lincoln News-Messenger, Thursday, 6-28-1917
Death of a Pioneer Californian

Charles Franklin Roth, a retired pioneer farmer of Verona, Sutter County, died at the family home in Lincoln, Sunday, June 24, 1917, where he had lived for about two years past. He was a native of Ohio and 65 years of age and is survived by a wife and four children, Mrs. Albert Linggi of Verona, Mrs. Ralph McKinstry of Auburn, and Charles G. and Gustav Wessing Roth of Lincoln, and three grandchildren. Charles Franklin Roth crossed the Isthmus of Panama with his parents when an infant. The family located first at Freemont, then the county seat of Yolo County, in 1852, where his father was engaged in the mercantile business and also had charge of the ferry at the confluence of the Sacramento and Feather rivers opposite the present site of Vernon, Sutter County. Later the family removed to Sonoma County where his father engaged in the dairy business on an extensive scale. Later returning to Vernon, Sutter County, now known as Verona post office, the subject of this article was busily occupied with his parents in conducting a general store, hotel, and the local post office, the raising of hops on a large scale, and in attending to the ferry across the Sacramento River, then very busy times on account of the extensive business carried on between San Francisco and the lively mining districts above Marysville. The elder Roth died in 1883, after which his son Charles F., the subject of this sketch, became active in the farming and stock-raising business, especially in the latter in which he was eminently successful. On July 3, 1889, Mr. Roth was married to Ida L. Byer, who was born in Nevada County, and in the loss of her devoted husband, she has the sincere sympathy of hosts of friends. Mr. Roth was successful in his business ventures and was always regarded as one of the most enterprising and progressive men of Sutter County. He had been in poor health for a long time and unable to actively attend to his extensive farming and stock-raising interests. By nature Mr. Roth was of a retiring nature, never seeking recognition in public office but always responsive to his duties as a loyal citizen. Sober in demeanor, strict in business affairs, sometimes called austere and stern, yet everyone understood at all times exactly where Mr. Roth stood on all questions affecting national, state, and local affairs. In politics he was a strong Democrat. Mr. Roth’s death marks the passing of another of the few old-time Californians whose sturdy efforts have placed this grand state where it stands today. It would be well if the younger generation would profit by the example set by the sturdy pioneers represented by Mr. Roth, Truly may it be said no one knew him in vain - for he was a true friend, a faithful neighbor, a husband and father whose thoughts were all for his family and community - such was Mr. Roth - and such men are not met everyday. The remains were taken to Sacramento where services were held after which the remains were cremated.

Placer Herald, Auburn Saturday, 2-2-1918
Death of Tom Roundtree

Thomas Roundtree, for over forty years a resident of Auburn, died in Auburn last Tuesday at the advanced age of 84 years. For many years he was a familiar figure on the streets of Auburn but of late he has been confined indoors. Deceased was the step-father of Mrs. J. W. Logan of Butcher Ranch, formerly Mrs. Mary Lowell of Auburn. The funeral was held in Auburn Thursday afternoon from the undertaking parlors.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 3-8-1917
Engineer Rowen Killed by Train

Charles Rowen, engineer, was instantly killed at the S. P. crossing Sunday morning about 8 o’clock when he stepped in front of an oncoming train and was hurled to his death. No one saw the accident at close sight, but it seems that Rowen, who was to take No. 19 out to Oakland, had pulled his engine up ready to couple onto No. 19 when it arrived, as is the custom. While waiting for No. 19 to come, Rowen left the cab of his engine and was walking in the yard that is alongside of his engine. Now it is supposed that when he heard No. 19 whistle, he turned to watch it approach and in so doing, he stepped up to the track adjoining and was struck by the engine of No. 210, due at that time. Several eyewitnesses at a distance saw the body hurled through space, and when these arrived at the scene, Rowen had expired. The body was taken to the local S. P. Emergency Hospital where it was found that the ribs had been crushed in, the right leg broken in several places, and the left side of the head badly cut. Rowen was about 61 years old and had been railroading for forty years. He was the fourth oldest man in point of service on the road and was entitled and had applied for a pension and retirement from service. His daughter and son from Oakland came up Monday to take the body in charge. Rowen lost his wife by death two months ago, and this had caused him to deeply grieve, and he had formed the habit of absent-mindedly walking, the probable cause of his stepping onto the adjoining track. Rowen had many friends in Roseville, and many of the local boys felt the loss of Rowen as one of their own.

Roseville Register, Friday, 6-27-1913
Death of Old Rocklin Resident - Mrs. Rowland Passed Away After Short Illness - Was Born Near Rocklin

Mrs. Catherine Rowland passed away last Saturday at her home in Rocklin in the fifty-eighth year of her age. She was born on the old Auburn Road near Rocklin in September of 1855 where her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Van Treese, kept the first hotel. They also built the first hotel in Roseville. Mrs. Rowland was twice married and leaves to mourn her loss a son, Mr. Ed Mattison of Sacramento; a daughter, Mrs. Hattie Murray of Los Angeles; and a sister, Mrs. Ella Sweeney of Honolulu. She was laid to rest in the family plot on Monday, the Rev. Redburn of Loomis conducting the services.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Tuesday, 7-16-1969
Local Sailor Is Killed in Viet Action

Mr. and Mrs. Leslie W. Royall,  Jr. of 8420 Royall Oaks Drive, Roseville, have received word that their son, Leslie W. “Skipper” Royall III, US Navy, has been killed in action in Vietnam. Leslie is a graduate of Roseville High School and attended Sierra College. The Royalls, formerly of Sacramento, have lived in the Roseville area for the past two years. The young serviceman was a naval hospital corpsman assigned to the 3rd Marine Division. He died July 10 as a result of gunshot wounds suffered from enemy fire at Quang Tri Province, South Vietnam. He had been in the Navy two years and in Vietnam two months. In addition to his parents, he is survived by a brother, Kenneth of Roseville, and his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. James McElhaney of Grass Valley and Mrs. Adeline Royall of Sacramento. Funeral services are pending at the Lombard Funeral Home, 2930 Auburn Boulevard.

Roseville Register, Saturday, 5-2-1908

Wm. B. F. Royer was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania. He came to California in 1849 and settled at Rough and Ready, Nevada County, when he opened the first store that town had. He went to Illinois in 1852, where he married Marguerite Brew. He returned the same year to Nevada County and moved to Smartsville, Yuba County, where he resided until he came to Placer County some 27 years ago and has resided in Roseville ever since. At the present time, his living relatives are T. F. Royer, a resident of Roseville with a wife and four children, Joe, Marguerite, William, and Paul; three grandchildren in San Luis Obispo County, Roy, Jennie, and Clarence Halpin. His wife died six years ago, and his daughter Mrs. Halpin died two years ago. The father of the deceased, John Royer, was editor of the Independent Phoenix in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania; he also established the Spring City Sun in the same county, and was quite a prominent man in political and newspaper circles. During Mr. Royer’s residence in Roseville, he has proved himself to be a loyal and generous citizen and a man of deep religious sentiments. He had no enemies and was well known to every man, woman, and child in Roseville. He accumulated considerable property and disposed of some of the same at good figures during the recent real estate activity. He donated a lot last year for the Catholic Church and has always shown a disposition to do his part toward the upbuilding and advancement of the town. We have been acquainted with Mr. Royer during the past two years and found him to be a man of honor and integrity, and we can truthfully say that Roseville has lost a useful and worthy citizen. His death was due to old age, and the past year he has been confined to the house the past four months being under the care of his son, T. F. Royer, and no pains were spared to make the last hours of his life as peaceful and pleasant as possible. The bereaved ones have the sympathy of a large circle of friends who fully realize that a vacancy has been made in our town that will be felt my many. The funeral was conducted from the Catholic Church in Rocklin by Rev. Father Sears, and his remains were followed to the cemetery by a large concourse. He was laid to rest by the side of his wife in the Rocklin Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 12-21-1928
Engineer N. O. Ruffner Died in San Francisco Thursday Morning

News of the death of N. O. Ruffner of Roseville, locomotive engineer for the Southern Pacific Company, which occurred at the S. P. hospital in San Francisco early Thursday morning, came as a shock to his friends. He was reported much better on Wednesday and was able to receive calls from some of his fellow engineers from Roseville. Mr. Ruffner is survived by his widow and by several brothers living in Sacramento. The funeral services will be held in Sacramento, but word has not been received, as The Tribune goes to press, of the time nor the date of the funeral. Mr. Ruffner went to the general hospital in San Francisco about six weeks ago. About four weeks ago, he submitted to an operation from which he rallied and recovered. Some two weeks later, he was stricken with pneumonia but was apparently recovering when death came suddenly.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 12-28-1928
Nicholas O. Ruffner Funeral Services Are Held Saturday

Funeral services for Nicholas Oliver Ruffner of Roseville, locomotive engineer of the Southern Pacific Company, were held at Ryan’s Mortuary, Sacramento, on Saturday, December 22, 1928, at 2:30 PM under the auspices of the B. of L. E. of Roseville and of the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints. Elder W. H. Dawson spoke a few words eulogizing the departed brother. The high esteem in which he was regarded by his friends and associates was beautifully expressed by a wealth of floral pieces and bouquets. The Elks Lodge of Sacramento conducted the services at the grave in the Odd Fellows Cemetery. Mr. Ruffner passed away at the Southern Pacific Hospital in San Francisco from bronchial pneumonia, following an operation. He had been in a generally run-down condition for some time before he went to the hospital. His age was 38 years 7 months. Mr. Ruffner held membership in the Elks Lodge of Grass Valley, Fraternal Order of Eagles, and Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen of Sacramento and of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers of Roseville. He had lived here with his wife about two years, coming from Sacramento. Left to mourn his loss are his widow, Edna Ruffner; brothers, Charles E. and Leroy E. Ruffner; sister, Mrs. Cynthia Arise; and his wife’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. James T. Murphy, all of Sacramento. Mrs. Ruffner has broken up housekeeping here and gone to live in Sacramento with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James T. Murphy.

Roseville Register, Friday, 10-24-1913
Mrs. Ruggles Died Tuesday - Roseville Woman Passed Away this Week at Age of 54 Years

Mrs. Ida M. Ruggles, age 54 years, died in Roseville Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Mrs. Ruggles had been in poor health for some time, and her death was not altogether unexpected. Mrs. Ruggles came to Roseville about six years ago and lived here since that time. Besides her husband, she leaves a son and daughter to mourn her untimely death. The son, Lester, is an electrician and has worked at this trade in Roseville for some time past. Her daughter, Mrs. Clifton, is an industrious young woman, who is at present employed by the Roseville Home Telephone Company.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 11-16-1928
Lee Rumsey, Aged 81 Years, Died in Auburn Monday

Lee Rumsey of Roseville, father of Mrs. George C. Woodward and Mrs. W. E. Brown of this city, passed away in a hospital at Auburn, Monday of this week. Mr. Rumsey was born in Coldwater, Michigan, in 1847. He came to California about six years ago and has resided with his daughter. Mr. Rumsey was a kind, loving father and was known as a man of estimable character. His friends will sincerely regret his departure.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 4-11-1874

Fatal Accident - On Tuesday a fatal accident occurred at the main shaft of the Crater Mine owned by the St. Patrick Mining Company situated near Ophir, by which John Rundle, employed as an underground boss and an old resident and miner of Placer County, lost his life. The circumstances in connection with the accident were about as follows:  Rundle was in the act of putting some tools into the bucket and lowering the same down in the shaft when the bucket, swinging in an opposite direction from that intended, became unmanageable and struck Rundle on the hip, from the force of which he was thrown headlong into the shaft, a distance of four hundred feet. There was about eight feet of water at the bottom of the shaft, and it was found necessary to dive to recover the body which, when found, was considerably lacerated about the head and the neck broken. The remains were brought up from Ophir and interred in the Odd Fellows Cemetery at Auburn on Wednesday. The deceased had come out of the County Hospital a few days ago and has just started in to work at the St. Patrick. He was a native of Cornwall, England, an honest man and universally liked by both his employers and employed.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday 3-1-1879

At Dutch Flat last Saturday, a Portuguese miner named Martin Rush was carried through the flume in the Southern Cross Mine and carried over the 50-foot dump into Bear River. He and some other men had been at work in the tunnel clearing the flume of a jam, and when the accumulated boulders, earth and gravel were cleared away, he fell into the flume, which carries a very strong head of water, and was carried with it over the dump. This is the first fatal accident that has occurred in this mine. In the Polar Star claim, which adjoins it, two men lost their lives in this manner about three years ago.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 1-4-1879
A Fatal Fall

C. S. Russell, an old and estimable citizen of Michigan Bluff, came to his death at his home near there on New Year’s night, under the following melancholy circumstances: It is believed that he had a fit Tuesday night and fell from his porch, thus severely and fatally injuring his skull. He lay all night, unconscious, on the cold, frosty ground with no one to hear his moans and ease his pain. Next morning, by an almost supernatural power, he managed to crawl to the cabin of a neighboring miner who had him removed to the Phoenix Hotel where he was tenderly cared for and where he remained speechless until his death. He was buried yesterday. These are the particulars so far as we are able to give them now. The item comes to us as we go to press.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 9-2-1876
Knocked Over by a Blast

Saturday afternoon, John P. Russell was fatally injured by a blast. The workmen on the American River ditch near Lyon’s Bridge fired a shot, and Russell, who was at least two hundred yards from the spot, was struck in the forehead by a large piece of rock. The skull was shattered and probably a dozen pieces, large and small, were driven into the wound, injuring the brain and completely destroying consciousness. Dr. Shackleton was called and gave the injured man all the relief possible, but the nature of the wound leaves little or no hope of recovery. On Thursday he was alive but still unconscious. Mr. Russell is a man of sixty-five or seventy years of age and was well known in this community.

[Submitter’s note:  Mr. Russell died later this day, Sept. 2.]

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 5-31-1873

Sad Accident - A sad and terrible accident happened at Yankee Jims to Johnny Russell, a stepson of Thomas Campbell of Forest Hill. It appears that the young man was delivering a load of lumber to the San Francisco claims near Yankee Jims and when coming down a steep grade, the brake gave way which caused the horses to run, and when turning on a short curve in the road, the wagon turned over, crushing the boy’s skull. Both horses fell down; one of them lay with his legs hanging over the bank of the San Francisco claim with feet perpendicular. The boy lived until Tuesday last when he breathed his last, surrounded by agonized friends.

Roseville Register, Friday, 9-13-1918

Margaret Russell was born in Ireland more than eighty years ago. While yet a young girl, she came to America and for some time lived in New York. In the early days she came to California, living much of the long residence in Sacramento and Placer counties. She was united in marriage with Mr. Peyton Russell, who died on December 12, 1902. She was of a retiring nature, rarely entering into the active affairs of the community. From early life until advanced age compelled her to relinquish her arduous labors, she had been accustomed to toil. While strength was granted her, she accepted with complete resignation every task. She was a person of few words but always enjoyed the conversation and association of others. For the past sixteen years, she made her home with Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Baker, about eight years of which was spent in Auburn. During most of this period, she had been in rather poor health. The tender ministrations at the hands of loved ones merited her gratitude, while only when the books are opened on high will we know what these hours of watching and waiting have really meant. She leaves no close relatives known to be living. Interment was in Bellview Cemetery near Sacramento.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-16-1914
C. B. Ruth Victim of Fatal Accident - Well-Known Employee of S. P. Meets Death While at Work

Just as we go to press, we learn of the death of C. B. Ruth. This morning while at his work in the round house, he was struck in the head by some part of the machinery and his skull being crushed in. Dr. Woodbridge, who was summoned at once, saw that there was little chance to save his life. He was immediately rushed to the hospital in Sacramento where he died about eleven o’clock. This unexpected happening is a severe blow to his family and many friends. Mr. Ruth was a man who was liked by all. He leaves to mourn his untimely death his wife, two daughters, and two sons.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 6-6-1874

Fatal Accident - On Wednesday morning, Martin Ryan was killed by falling down a shaft on the claim belonging to the Van Emon Brothers at Michigan Bluff. Ryan was engaged in mining in a new tunnel on this claim and at the time was lowering timbers down the shaft. While so engaged, he was taken with a fit and, falling to the bottom of the shaft, a distance of fifty feet, was so badly injured that he died in about two hours afterward. Ryan was thirty-eight years of age, a native of Wales, and leaves a wife and five children. No blame is attached to anyone, his death being purely accidental.