Obituaries - P

Today is: part of CA GenWeb



Below you will find a complilation of obituaries gathered from various newspapers throughout Placer County. If YOU have an obituary for a Placer County resident and would like to addit to this collection, please contact the county coorinators.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 10-14-1876
Death of an Old Resident

Dr. N. S. Page, a resident of this county since 1852, died at his residence in Rocklin at 4 o’clock Tuesday morning after an illness of but a few hours, having retired the previous evening in apparent good health. The Doctor was universally respected, and his loss will be sincerely regretted by a large number of friends and acquaintances. He was a native of the state of New York, and his age was forty-six years. The Rocklin Masonic Lodge, of which he was a member, took charge of the funeral obsequies and buried him on Wednesday with all the honors of the order. Quite a number of the brethren from Auburn attended the funeral.

Sacramento Daily Union, 27 Apr 1857

In Auburn, April 12th, John Pain, a native of Portugal, aged 26 years.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Wednesday, 11-21-1951
Korean War Toll - Roseville Soldier Killed in Action

Word was received here Sunday that Army Pfc. Charles T. Pagel, 18, son of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore C. Pagel of 108 Irene Avenue, was killed in action in Korea, Oct. 14. The War Department wire was relayed to the family through the Roseville Police Department. The youth was a graduate of Roseville Joint Union High School in the class of 1950 and enlisted here in the regular army last March. His father, T. C. Pagel, is a car foreman for Southern Pacific Company here. His sister is Mrs. JoAnn Epps of Roseville, whose husband, Richard, enlisted at the same time as Pagel.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 1-26-1878
Sudden Death

J. L. Painter, who died suddenly at Dutch Flat the other day, was well-known in Auburn, having been a former resident of this place. He was familiarly known as Jack Painter. While driving Mr. Grohs’s brewery wagon some three years ago, he sustained injuries caused by the team running away, that may have had something to do with his death. For some time past, he has been engaged as an assistant in some capacity at the Dutch Flat Hotel, and being troubled with hemorrhage of the lungs, has been unable to do any work latterly. It is said that the very morning of his death, he expressed himself as feeling better than usual, adding that “he’d be somebody yet,” and proposed doing some jobbing about the premises. Shortly afterwards he went to the door, when he turned suddenly pale and said he believed he was going to have another bleeding fit. Dr. Martin, who was nearby, seeing him, came across the street and telling him to go back into the house, led him back to the wash-room. Here he fell back dead. The remains were brought to Auburn on Tuesday morning by James Borland and Thomas Cain, who were appointed a committee by the Odd Fellows of Auburn. He was buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Roseville Register, Friday, 6-20-1913
Former Engineer Commits Suicide - Engineer Who Became Fruit Grower Killed Himself Yesterday Morning

A. F. Palmer, a well-known fruit man of Loomis and former engineer on the Southern Pacific whom railroad men here know very well, shot himself through the head yesterday morning at his ranch near Loomis and died almost instantly. It is believed that he was temporarily insane from illness. He had been working very hard this season, and the overwork and mental strain seemed to have an effect on his reason. He went to his room yesterday about 11 o’clock, and his wife heard a shot and went to his room and found her husband dead. As already stated, he is well known to many of the local trainmen, having been in the service as fireman and engineer for about ten years on this division. He was a trusted employee and was known as “Honest John.” About six years ago, he purchased forty acres of fruit near Loomis and soon retired from the service of the company. He was very successful as a fruit raiser and was considered one of the most progressive growers. He has several relatives living in Illinois, but his wife is the only surviving relative in California. The verdict of the coroner’s jury was “suicide while temporarily insane.”

Roseville Register, Thursday, 5-20-1909
A Shocking Death

Mrs. Pearl Parent, better known as Pearl Ross, was instantly killed on Monday night by being struck by the tender of switch engine No. 1173 while attempting to cross the railroad track between the depot and club house. Engineer Conway saw her when about ten feet away and threw on his emergency brake but was too late to prevent the cruel blow which crushed her temple and threw her alongside the track. She was picked up by J. Peterson, who witnessed the accident and carried at once to Dr. Ashby’s office where she died within an hour. A message was sent Coroner Bisbee who came down on 23, and a jury was impaneled and investigated the affair and rendered the following verdict:  “Deceased came to her death by being struck by the tender of switch engine No. 1173, while attempting to cross the track in the railroad yards, and we entirely exonerate the engineer from all blame in the matter, he having used his utmost endeavor to stop his engine, and we consider the death purely accidental.” The deceased has resided here for the past three years. Her father was killed two years ago by being thrown from a wagon. She leaves a mother, sister, and two small children, and the family were in destitute circumstances, a subscription being taken up for her burial which took place yesterday. It is a sad affair and if thoroughly investigated, we are satisfied that liquor and gay companions would cut an important figure in the causes that led to her death.

Sacramento Union, 8-3-1913
Parker - In Roseville (Placer Co.), August 2, 1913, Mrs. Cornelia Parker, mother of Mrs. H.F. Stine, Ida and Ruby Parker, a native of Turkey, aged 66 years, 10 months and 29 days.
Roseville Register, Friday, 8-8-1913
Mrs. Cornelia Parker, who has been a resident of this section for a number of years, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. H. F. Stine, last Saturday. She had been residing in Rocklin, and the funeral was held in that town Monday afternoon. Mrs. Parker was the daughter of C. Giebel of San Francisco and had relatives living in that city as well as Sacramento and Roseville.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-24-1919
Lincoln Woman Dies

Miss Aileen Parry passed away suddenly at San Francisco yesterday. She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Parry of Lincoln, who formerly conducted the hotel. She was a native of Michigan and leaves two sisters at Sacramento to mourn her death.

Sacramento Union, 8-6-1913
In Newcastle (Placer Co.), August 2, 1913, Reginald G. Parsons, a native of Pennsylvania, aged 25 years.

Roseville Register, Friday, 8-8-1913
Brakeman Killed at Newcastle - Brakeman Parsons Is Fourth Man to be Killed During Past Month on Division

R. G. Parsons is the fourth brakeman to lose his life in the past month. He was killed at Newcastle last Saturday morning by falling between the cars, his body being mangled beyond recognition. Parsons was the head brakeman on east-bound train No. 4020. He was last seen on top of the train, and later his body was discovered by J. E. Waters, a telegraph operator. It is presumed that he was filling his pipe and the engine gave a jerk, causing him to lose his balance and to fall under the train. Parsons was a native of Pennsylvania and was aged 25 years. He had been in the service of the company in Roseville about a year. Coroner Bisbee made a thorough investigation of the case and the cause of death, and the jury returned a verdict of accidental death from being run over.

Newcastle News, Wednesday, 9-26-1917
Three Men Killed in Explosion at Clipper Gap Powder Works Tuesday

An explosion occurred at the Clipper Gap Powder Company’s works at Clipper Gap last Tuesday forenoon. As a result, three men were killed. It happened in the press room, and Joe Cihowski was practically cremated, while Frank Pasinetti and Domingo Larrerte died from their burns. After the explosion, the building collapsed and took fire, and the workmen were unable to rescue the body of Cihowski. Pasinetti and Larrerte were removed but succumbed from their burns in a short time. All the men were single, and although Cihowski and Pasinetti were old-time powder workers, they had been at Clipper Gap but about ten days. Larrarte had been there about a month. Cihowski was a native of Poland, aged 33; Pasinetti, a native of Italy, aged 29; and Larrarte of Spanish descent, a native of California, aged 37. Coroner C. B. Hislop held an inquest Thursday, and as the men were all dead, it could not be ascertained what really caused the accident. Foreman Charles L. Groves testified that he was in the press room three or four minutes before the accident happened. He said everything seemed to be in perfect condition. There was 2800 pounds of black powder in the mill. Nothing but black powder is manufactured. Superintendent H. D. Winters could throw no light on what was the cause of the accident. The jury brought in the following verdict:  “That the men came to their death from burns received by an explosion of powder in the press mill at Clipper Gap, California, September 1917; and we further find that said explosion was purely accidental, and that the management of the works are in no way to blame. Signed W. A. Shepard, Arthur Hallborn, L. G. Perkins, W. E. Larson, H. L. Bailey, U. Sarti, A. Cortopassi, L. F. Bradbury, J. C. Campbell, L. H. Joninon, Cornelius Lucy.” The funeral was held Thursday afternoon, Rev. Father Gavin conducting the services. Interment in the IOOF Cemetery, Auburn. The employees of the works attended in a body, and the company paid all expenses.

Colfax Sentinel, Friday, 7-14-1893
Mrs. J. B. Patterson Passes

Mrs. Martha A. Patterson, the wife of J. B. Patterson, died in Sacramento the 31 inst. in the 39th year of her age. Mrs. Patterson was the youngest daughter of J. W. and Adelaide Waldorf of Planefield, Yolo County, California. She was a native of Camanche, Iowa, and came to this state with her parents in 1861. Mrs. Patterson attended the schools in Sacramento, and it was there that she met and married her husband in 1876. With the exception of three years spent in Oakland, their married life was spent in Placer and Nevada counties. For the past two years, Mrs. Patterson has been a patient sufferer of various diseases. Two years ago, she contracted la grippe. When she had nearly recovered, she was afflicted with malaria and a severe attack of typhoid fever. Owing to the skillful attention of Drs. Todd and Rooney, she passed through the siege but was left quite weak. Mr. Patterson then removed her to Sacramento hoping the change would be beneficial. It was discovered while there that she was troubled with a tumor. An operation was necessary and was performed by Dr. Gardner. Mrs. Patterson never recovered from the effects of the operation and gradually grew weaker and suffered intense pain until death relieved her. She was kind, charitable, and loved home and its duties. Her disposition was most genial and through all her terrible suffering she bore up with great fortitude. A loving husband, two devoted sons and a daughter are left to mourn her loss and to reference her memory. The interment took place at Sacramento.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 2-29-1928
Death of John Pavo Occurs at the Home of Daughter Here Last Thursday Evening

In the death of John Pavo on Thursday evening, February 23rd, 1928, Roseville mourns the passing of another “old timer” who had made his home in this city for 36 years, having lived 12 years in the same home at the corner of Oak and Judah streets. It was in this home where he resided with his daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. D. Rodgers, that he passed away suddenly, following one day’s illness at the age of 86 years. Mr. Pavo was a native of St. Michael, Portugal. When a young man, he migrated to Honolulu and while there was married to Mary Amelia Pavo. The couple came to Roseville 36 years ago and lived for 15 years on land near Vernon Street, which they then sold to the Southern Pacific Company for yards. They then built the home on Oak Street where Mrs. Pavo died at the age of 65 years on August 25, 1918. Of their children, one son has since died and there remains to mourn the father, a son, Manuel Pavo of Roseville, and two daughters, Mrs. D. Rodgers of Roseville and Mrs. J. A. Nylander of Long Beach, and their sons, Silvero and Raymond Rodgers, and John and Alvin Nylander. Mrs. Nylander and her sons came for the funeral, as did also Mrs. B. Pavo, a sister-in-law of the deceased, and her two sons and daughters of Oakland. A granddaughter, Mrs. Dolores Sousa, and her two children, Dolores and Eloise of Roseville, and a stepson, Pedro Silva of Oakland, also survive Mr. Pavo. The funeral was held from St. Rose’s Catholic Church at 2:00 PM Sunday. Rev. Fr. O’Sullivan read the services. Interment was in the family plot in the Roseville Cemetery. Pall bearers were William Haman, I. Leroy Burns, H. T. Miller, M. J. Royer, E. C. Bedell, and J. E. Beckwith.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-19-1911
Two Old Residents Answer Last Call

Benjamin Franklin Peacock, one of Placer County’s oldest residents, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. W. C. Conroy, Thursday of last week. The funeral was held Friday from the home, Rev. W. A. Cash officiating. Mr. Peacock was a native of Pennsylvania, aged 92 years. He came across the plains by ox team in 1849 and settled in El Dorado County, within 10 miles of where James Marshall first discovered gold. He engaged in mining and farming and kept the Mountain Cottage three miles from Pilot Hill. Mountain Cottage was a stopping place for teamsters, and on February 22d of each year was the scene of a grand ball, people coming from Sacramento and San Francisco to attend. Mr. Peacock came to Auburn 16 years ago. He is survived by three daughters and one son:  Mrs. W. C. Conroy and Mrs. Laura Taylor of Auburn; Mrs. Ralph Howcroft of Reno; and Frank J. Peacock of Auburn.

Hollis Newton, one of the oldest pioneers of Placer County, known in Lincoln and vicinity as “Captain,” died at 8:30 Wednesday evening of last week at his home. Those present at the time of death were Mrs. Newton, Mrs. Allen, Mrs. Pomeroy, and Dr. David. Newton was engaged in the farming business nearly all of his life. He was liked by everyone. The deceased is survived by a wife, Mrs. Martha Newton, and six children:  Mrs. W. S. Allen of Lincoln, Mrs. Nettie Fuller, San Francisco; Mrs. F. D. Aldrich, San Francisco; Mrs. L. Parke, San Francisco; Mrs. W. E. Nobell, Juneau, Alaska; Mrs. F. L. Sanders, Lincoln. His death was sudden, although he had several attacks of heart trouble in course of a month. He was 81 years old.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 2-19-1898

After a long illness, Mrs. B. F. Peacock answered the call of the Angel of Death on Sunday last at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Wm. Taylor, on Forest Hill Avenue. She was a devoted wife and mother, and the friends who will sincerely mourn her death are many. The funeral was held Tuesday, the interment taking place at Pilot Hill, which was the home of the deceased for many years. Mrs. Peacock was a native of Wells, Maine, aged 63 years, 3 months, and 13 days. The surviving relatives are the husband, B. F. Peacock; son, Frank Peacock; and daughters, Mrs. W. C. Conroy and Mrs. Wm. Taylor of Auburn, Mrs. Ralph Hawcroft of Reno, Nev., and Mrs. Carrie Rodgers of Colusa. They have the sympathy of all.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 9-25-1929
Friends Raise Funds to Bury S. Pederson

Friends have begun the collection of a fund to pay the burial expenses of Samuel P. Pederson who ended his own life last Saturday morning by shooting himself in the head with a shotgun. Pederson, a former Southern Pacific machinist, had made his living for several years by gambling. At the time of his death, he had no money at all. Pederson’s divorced wife and his daughter Marguerite came here Monday to view the body. They made no arrangements for the funeral. Pederson took his own life in a room at 116 Irene Avenue where he lived. When he fired the shot, doors leading to other rooms of the house were open, and blood and bits of his head were blown into other rooms. Pederson was a native of Norway, 46 years of age. He was sometimes known here as Samuel P. Moreland. The body is at the Broyer & Magner morgue awaiting burial.

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 12-18-1929
Drowns in Reservoir

An inquest was held at Auburn Wednesday over the body of Charles Jacob Pelletier, 40, who was drowned in a reservoir near the Baltimore mine on the Forest Hill divide. It is believed he slipped and fell into the lake. An old hat floating on the surface caused the reservoir to be drained and the body to be found.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 10-12-1878
Shocking Fatal Accident – Caught by a Revolving Shaft and Beaten to Death

It becomes our sad duty to chronicle the very sudden and tragic ending of Martin Pelster, a young man well known in this community. He was employed at the mill of Salmon & Pelster on North Ravine, about two miles west of Auburn. It is a small custom mill of five stamps, run by water power, and his father is one of the owners. Martin and his father were in the habit of relieving each other at the work, the former working at night and the latter during the daytime. On Tuesday evening, Martin, as usual, was at his post all alone. About half past ten o’clock he was heard by Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Gwynn, who live a short distance from the reservoir, whistling. At this time it is thought he was regulating the water supply. Soon after, they noticed by the sound of the mill machinery that the battery was running slower and with somewhat irregular motion, though the fact excited no particular comment at the time. But, as subsequent developments clearly indicate, it must have been about this time that the unfortunate youth met his death which occurred under the following circumstances:  It appears that he ascended to a raised footway or platform to oil the machinery. On one end of a rotating iron shaft, close to which he stood, some empty sacks had been fastened by means of wires to keep the oil from dripping. This wire caught his clothing, and in a moment he was wound up close and tight and was in the pitiless clutch of the unyielding monster. The ill-fated young man was carried round and round, his legs at every revolution striking against a 20-inch beam above and another large beam below. The period of his suffering is a matter of mere conjecture. In the morning when the father came to work, little dreaming of the fearful and untimely end of his one remaining boy, he was almost paralyzed with grief to find only his dismembered remains. He ran frantically to the house of Mr. Gwynn, who came out to meet him. Upon inquiry being made as to the cause of his haggard, wild appearance, the broken-hearted father only swung his hands above his head and exclaimed, “Oh, God! My boy” My boy!” This was all the information Mr. Gwynn could obtain except, “Run to the mill and see.” Both men ran back to the scene of carnage. Mr. Gwynn, being younger, was there first. He looked around in the mill for the young man, but not seeing him, he cast a glance upward at the shaft and saw the shreds of clothing. That told the dreadful story. A moment later, he picked up part of a foot, and then taking a gold pan, filled it with the torn and mutilated remains. But the details are too sickening to dwell upon. Looking through outside, Mr. Gwynn saw the now crazed father trying evidently to beat out his own brains with a stone. He at once interposed to prevent this and led the poor man away. The funeral, which was large attended, took place from Pellow’s Hotel near Ophir on Thursday. The remains were deposited in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Auburn.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 5-22-1914
William Pemberton Dies Suddenly

Again it becomes our sad duty to record the passing of one of our beloved fellow townsmen, Mr. William Pemberton, who passed away about noon Thursday, May 21. Mr. Pemberton was working on his son’s house east of the Pottery and as he was walking up a flight of four steps, fell dead on the top step. He had not been sick, and his death came as a distinct shock to those who knew him. A doctor was called, but he was dead before he struck the step. A coroner’s jury decided that he died from heart failure. Mr. Pemberton was born in New York September 22, 1846, and came to Lincoln about 28 years ago. He leaves two sons, George and John, in Lincoln besides a number of relatives in the east. Mr. Pemberton was one of those good souls whom everybody loved and respected. He always had a smile and a pleasant word for those he knew, which was every man, woman, and child in Lincoln, and his demise leaves a gap that cannot be filled. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the residence of his son, John Pemberton, under the auspices of the IOOF, of which order deceased was a long time member. Interment will be made in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 7-24-1929
Bernard Pendergast, Aged 54, Summoned

The community was shocked to learn of the death early Thursday morning of Bernard Pendergast, which occurred at his home, 136 Earl Avenue. Mr. Pendergast was 54 years of age but had been in poor health the last two years, failing rapidly the last month. The deceased was a native of Ireland. He had lived in California 29 years, working at Truckee, Blue Canyon, Roseville, and Sacramento as a car repairer for the Southern Pacific Company. In 1918 he came to Roseville to reside and lived the last nine years at the home on Earl Avenue. His wife had died before that time. Mr. Pendergast was pensioned as car foreman some time before he passed away. His surviving children are his daughters, Mrs. E. B. Yound of Los Angeles, Mrs. Anna Knoff of Roseville, and son, E. B. Pendergast of Roseville. He leaves three brothers, Ed, Jack, and Pat Pendergast of Sacramento. Ed Pendergast is master car repairer of the Sacramento division. Funeral services will be held Friday morning at 10 o’clock from the St. Rose Catholic Church.

Roseville Register, Friday, 7-19-1912
Death of Well Known Lady

Mrs. Zilla Perkins, widow of the last W. D. Perkins, former state librarian and well known Southern Pacific representative in land matters in this part of the state, died at Rocklin last Thursday at the age of 79 years. She was a native of New York and highly esteemed in the community. Surviving her are two sons, W. D. Perkins of San Francisco and Dana Perkins of Rocklin. The funeral services were held at the late residence of the deceased near Rocklin Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock, and the interment was private. A good many years ago, the deceased and her husband conducted a well known hotel near where the town of Loomis now stands. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Wills of Sacramento, and the singing was by a Sacramento choir. A number went up from here to pay their last respects to one who will be missed by a large host of friends.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 3-23-1916

Andrew Perry died at the Auburn hospital Wednesday morning at the age of 34 years. He was a native of Minnesota, single, and leaves to mourn his death several brothers and sisters and an aged mother. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon from the Guy West Undertaking Parlors at 1:30 PM. Interment will be had in the IOOF Cemetery at Rocklin. “Andy,” as he was best known, had a great many friends who will regret to hear of his death and who will always remember him for his cheerful disposition. We extend to the bereaved the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 11-18-1876
Fatal Railroad Accident

On Sunday afternoon a brakeman named Joseph Petra, while coupling cars at Newcastle, was run over by a car, crushing his leg so terribly that amputation was rendered necessary. He was taken to the railroad hospital at Sacramento where his injured leg was amputated, but unable to rally from his wounds, he died early on Monday morning. He was a native of Wisconsin, aged twenty-four years. The Record-Union says,

“Coroner Wick was notified and held an inquest, the verdict of the jury being that the death was accidental. They took occasion, however, to censure the engineer for not attending more closely to the signals given, one of the witnesses having testified that he signaled to stop just before the accident occurred, but that the signal was not obeyed, probably not having been seen. The deceased did not complain, in speaking of the accident to the other train men, that anyone was to blame.”

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 7-29-1927
Newcomer Here Takes Own Life, Using Poison? – William Pfirter Found Dead in Bed Wednesday – Leaves Wife and One Son

The dead body of William E. Pfirter was found in his room at the LeRoy Hotel Wednesday between 12 and 1 o’clock, death being due supposedly to suicide. The suicide theory was advanced by authorities because of finding in the room an ounce bottle of cyanide which he had supposedly drank. Part of the contents was in a glass in crystallized form, the liquid having evaporated. Another indication of suicide was an unsigned note found in his room, addressed to his wife, with the words to the effect that “this is the end as far as I’m concerned.” It is supposed that death occurred Monday afternoon or evening, Mr. Pfirter having gone to his room that afternoon and had not been seen since. On Tuesday when the chambermaid had gone to the room, which had been locked from the inside, to clean up the room, she saw him lying on the bed and supposing him asleep did not disturb him. Upon going to the room Wednesday morning to clean the room, he was lying in the same position. Later, about noon, the door was opened by the proprietor of the hotel. Upon being informed by the chambermaid that Pfirter was lying in the same position as when she saw him Tuesday, they investigated and found him dead. Undertaker C. P. Magner was notified and he in turn notified City Marshal L. H. Allen, both of whom went to the scene of the tragedy. The body was removed to the undertaking parlors of Broyer & Magner where it now rests. Coroner C. B. Hislop was notified, and a coroner’s inquest was held late yesterday afternoon. Personal belongings of Mr. Pfirter indicate that he left a wife, Mrs. Mabel A. Pfirter, whose address was given as 1010 Noe Street, San Francisco, and a son, William, who is staying with Mrs. Pfirter’s mother in Marysville. Mrs. Pfirter was notified of the death of her husband and arrived here yesterday to take charge of the body following the coroner’s inquest. Funeral services will be held this (Friday) afternoon from the chapel of Broyer & Magner, and interment will be in East Lawn Cemetery, Sacramento. Mr. Pfirter was 33 years of age and was born in Portland, Oregon. Cards found in his billfold indicate that he was a member of Mt. Davidson Lodge No. 481, F and AM, of San Francisco, and Pyramid No. 1 of Sciots of San Francisco. He was employed in a local drug store as a pharmacist, leaving the employ of that place on Monday. He arrived in Roseville to accept that position about July 1st and had made several friends during his short stay here.

Roseville Register, 3-3-1910
Death of an Old Citizen of Rocklin

George A. Phillips, an old time resident of Rocklin, died in Sacramento February 28th, aged 77 years. For many years, the deceased worked at stone cutting in the quarry town and took an active interest in the stone cutters’ union, and the usefulness and strength of this organization in Rocklin today is to a large extent due to his practical and conservative way of doing things. None mourn his death more than the members of the union. His wife died only a few months ago. M. B. Moore, the S. P. agent at Rocklin, was a stepson, and a daughter who resides at Oak Park, survive him. The remains were buried at Rocklin yesterday.


Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 7-3-1929
Funerals Today for Two Drowned Sunday in River

Funeral services will be held today over the bodies of Eli Pieracci and John Eliopolus, Roseville boys who were drowned near Fair Oaks Sunday while swimming in the American River. Funeral services for Eli Pieracci, son of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Pieracci of Elm Street, will be held from Rose Catholic Church at 10 o’clock this morning, the Rev. Father Connor of Auburn officiating. Interment will be at Odd Fellows Cemetery. The funeral of John Eliopolus, son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Eliopolus, will be held at 2:30 from the Broyer & Magner Chapel. The Rev. Father Skufies of Sacramento will officiate. The body will be buried at Odd Fellows Cemetery. The boys, Pieracci, 15, and Eliopolus, 12, were drowned while swimming near the Fair Oaks bridge. Eliopolus apparently was seized with cramps, and his friend Pieracci, who was near him, went to his rescue. The pair locked in a death struggle. The body of Pieracci was discovered floating in the river a few minutes later. A plane from Del Paso Airport, piloted by Ingvald Fagerskog, was impressed into service in the search for Eliopolus’ body. While patrolling the water a half mile below the scene of the drowning, Fagerskog sighted the other body submerged, and it was recovered in a motorboat from Fair Oaks. Louis Guisti, 16, also of Roseville, companion of the drowned boys, narrowly escaped their fate when he went to their rescue. Weakened from his fight to aid the pair, he struggled to the shore and was on the verge of collapse when he reached the bank.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 7-11-1874

Another Pioneer Gone - On the morning of the fourth, the remains of Horace Pierce, an old and highly esteemed resident of this county, were brought to Auburn for interment. Mr. Pierce came to California from the state of Maine in 1851 and has been a resident of this county for the past eleven years, having been foreman of the State Granite quarries at Rocklin from the time they were first opened up to his death, and is said to have been one of the best quarrymen in the state. For several years past, he had been troubled greatly with disease of the kidneys, which finally turned into dropsy and caused his death. He was confined to his bed for about four months. Mr. Pierce was a man of large heart and warm generous impulses and had by his gentlemanly deportment and conduct while in life endeared to him many true friends who sincerely mourn his loss.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-17-1919

Marie Pierce was born in Fillmore County, Minnesota, in 1872, and passed from this life in this city, January 7, 1919, at the age of 47 years, 9 months and 13 days. She grew to young womanhood and was united in marriage with Mr. Rufus O. Pierce. To them were born two children who survive, a daughter, Mrs. Pearl Houser of Fair Oaks, and a son, Clifford R. Pierce of Roseville; also two grandchildren, Delmer and Dorothy Houser. She also leaves to mourn her loss a bereaved husband whose constant ministrations were a source of unfailing comfort; besides four sisters, three of whom reside in Minnesota and one in Canada. For the past ten years, she had resided in this city, coming here from her native state in pursuit of health. While she was benefited by the new change, she never enjoyed the best of health; and at times was a great sufferer. Amid all her afflictions, she possessed patience worthy of one of her frail health. She was resigned to the will of Him who regards the sparrow and who clothes the lily. In her departure, an aching void will be felt in the hearts of her beloved ones which may best be expressed by the following lines penned by her companion:

In the long dull years I’m facing,
   companionless and alone;
My heart goes out in longing,
   For peace and love of home;
The home beyond all sorrow,
   Where all is joy and truth,
And I may join in faith and hope:
   The loved one of my youth.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 3-22-1929
Mrs. Martha Christina Pierce, Pioneer California Resident, Passed Away Here Tuesday

After a lingering illness of several weeks, “Grandma” Martha Christina Pierce passed away on Tuesday evening, March 19, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Sadie Butler, at 107 Willow Avenue. She was 88 years of age and was born in Kentucky, coming to California fifty years ago. Her husband, William A. Pierce, preceded her in death some time ago. She is survived by her daughter, Mrs. Butler, a son, Newton Pierce, and by a number of grandchildren living in or near Roseville. Funeral services for Mrs. Pierce were held at the Broyer & Magner Chapel at 2:00 PM Thursday with Rev. Carl Glesser of the Church of God officiating. Interment was in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 4-17-1929
Life Comes to End for Rose Pierce, Two Decade Resident Here – Beloved for her Humanitarian Work, Her Passing Is Mourned by a Host of Friends

Once more the citizens of Roseville record with regret the passing of one who for nearly two decades had resided in our midst, contributing much to the community well-being, and individual happiness. Born in Wyoming July 8, 1883, Rose Pierce there grew to young womanhood and later, after obtaining her education, was united in marriage and soon thereafter came to California. For about seven years she had lived in Lincoln, Placer County, and Sacramento. About seventeen years were spent in the vicinity of Roseville, and one in Oregon, but there her health failed and she was obliged to return to California. For the past six months, her home had been in Orland, Glenn County. Her companion, Mr. William LaDue, was called from this life March 5, 1923, and she resumed her occupation of nursing, in which over many years she had ministered to the sick. In this capacity her kind nature found rich expression as the sufferers shared her cheery smile and gentle care. As a neighbor she was ever alert in lending a helping hand. No amount of toil and anxiety were too much while health and strength were hers. In all of her contacts she endeavored to serve for the love of the task and those whom she might help. On September 24, 1923, she was united in marriage with R. O. Pierce with whom the past five and a half years of life’s journey was happily passed. In making a home, her whole soul entered so that all those who dwelt by the family fireside found a radiant cheer that was inspiring. She was a devoted wife and mother whose sacrifices and toil were gladly borne. After several years of suffering which took a decisive adverse turn March 31, she responded to her Maker’s call April 13, 1929, and passed peacefully to her reward from the Highland Hospital at Auburn. Her retiring nature did not lead her into public activities; but her wholesome influence abides. Her membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church had recently been transferred to Orland where she had hoped to serve many years. Besides her bereaved husband and one son, William LaDue of Roseville, and one sister, Mrs. C. J. Brahm of Turlock, she leaves many friends in the communities in which the benediction of her useful life will long remain.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 5-15-1914

The funeral of the late Frank Jacinto Pimental was held last Sunday from the Catholic Church, interment being made in the Catholic Cemetery. The obsequies were very largely attended, showing the high respect in which he was held in the local Portuguese colony. The remains were followed to the grave by the entire membership of the Portuguese union of Lincoln, the UPEC of which deceased was a charter member. Deceased was a native of the Azore Islands but had been a resident of this state for 20 years, the last 14 years of which were spent as a glazier in the big Lincoln pottery. He is survived by a wife, Maria Rose Pimental, and five children, the eldest ten years of age and the youngest five months. F. J. Bettencourt accompanied the remains here from the city.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 7-22-1920

Mrs. Charlotte Pitcher passed to the wonderful land of tomorrow last Friday at her home in San Francisco after a short suffering from pneumonia. She was a beautiful character of 67 years at the time of her passing, and during her sojourneying thru this vale had endeared herself to a very large circle of friends. The services were held by the Christian Scientists at the Guy E. West Parlors, and interment was had in the IOOF Cemetery, Sunday afternoon. She was a pioneer of this City of Roses and in years gone by taught school in different parts of Placer County. She leaves to mourn her beautiful character a brother, Mr. Guy DeKay and two sisters, Mrs. C. P. Dewey of Roseville and Mrs. A. P. Cecil of Oakland. A large circle of pioneer and later days friends of this city and county will recall this splendid woman and mourn her passing, but the fragrance of her sweet life will ever remain as a gentle reminder of her presence.

Roseville Tribune and Enterprise, Wednesday, 6-8-1927
Former Well Known Resident of Roseville Passed Away June 4 – E. D. Pitcher Succumbs After a Week’s Illness of Pneumonia – Funeral Services in Sacramento Tuesday

Edward Davenport Pitcher, rancher in the Fair Oaks district, died at his home Saturday, June 4, 1927, from double pneumonia at the age of 50 years. He was ill only a week. His wife, who had been very critically ill with pneumonia, was just beginning to show signs of improvement when Mr. Pitcher, who had been her faithful attendant, was stricken himself and succumbed to the fatal disease. Mr. Pitcher is survived by his wife, Catherine Donahue Pitcher, and three daughters, Eleanor, a student in junior college; Katherine, a San Juan High School student; and Rose, a girl twelve years old. Mrs. Irene Manuel of Vacaville, his sister, also survives him. He was a nephew of Guy P. DeKay. Funeral services were held in Sacramento Monday morning at the Gormley parlors, with a requiem Mass at 10 o’clock at the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament. The burial was in St. Joseph’s Cemetery. Mr. Pitcher was a former resident of Roseville, living several years ago on a tract of land southeast of town which he still owned at the time of his death, the house having burned, at which time he then built a beautiful home on Greenback Lane near the junction with the Fair Oaks road. He was employed in the Roseville post office during his residence here, his aunt, Miss Pitcher, being postmistress. Later he served as Street Commissioner which place he held until the appointment of the present incumbent.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 7-28-1876
A Most Singular Death

One of the most singular deaths that has transpired for this section for a long time occurred near Tamarack, about 28 miles west of Truckee last Saturday about 3:50 PM. Justice Hart received a dispatch from the conductor of train No. 9, stating that a man had been run over and killed near Tamarack, and on the arrival of the train in Truckee it was recognized as Sylvester C. Pitman, an old resident of Truckee. From the evidence adduced at the coroner’s inquest, the circumstances of his death, as near as could be found out, are as follows:  Deceased left Truckee Saturday morning for his home in Dutch Flat. He went as far as Soda Springs Station on the train, at which place he got off, saying he was going in search of a cow that had strayed away from his home. He had a large coil of inch rope thrown over his shoulder. He was seen several times during the day between Soda Springs and Tamarack. The first section of No. 9 met him about the place he was killed. The head brakeman was standing on the pilot and as he did not make any attempt to get out of the way of the train, the signal of danger was given, and it was only when the train was within a few feet of him that he stepped to one side. In just fifteen minutes from that time, the second section came along. The engineer saw him when he was about 100 yards of him but thought it was the shadow of a post, but when he got within 50 feet of the object he saw, it was a man lying across the track. He called for brakes and both engineers reversed their engines and made superhuman efforts to stop the train but it was too late. The forward engine and tender passed over him and the trucks of the second before the train was brought to a stand still. He was cut in two across the chest and fearfully mangled. Four of the men who helped take him out swore positively before the coroner’s jury that he was tied to the rail, the rope passing over one shoulder around and under one arm and the rail, and that one strand of the rope had to be cut before he could be taken out. He was placed on the engine and brought to Truckee. The whole affair seems inexplicable. The fact that all the money he was known to have in his possession when he left Truckee was found on his person shows that if the deed was done by others, it was certainly not done for his money. There were also some wounds on his forehead which many believe could not have been made by the train, considering the position in which he lay, and it would appear impossible for a man to tie himself to the track in the manner he is described to have been laying. All sorts of theories are afloat, some thinking he attempted to get on the first section of No. 9, fell across the track in such a manner as to render him insensible. The engineers and firemen are all positive he was tied to the track, which would indicate that foul play had been committed. Two men were seen within 100 yards of the scene of the disaster, leaning against a post and looking toward the place where he was run over, and we would like to know their business there if they had any. The verdict of the coroner’s jury appears in another place. He was not known to have had any enemies, and we do not believe that any man living has the nerve to lie across the track and let a locomotive run over him without moving or making any signs of life if he is conscious. The whole affair is shrouded in mystery, and whether the real cause of his death was suicide, accidental, or foul play will probably never be known. Deceased was a member of Capitol Lodge IOOF at Sacramento, and immediately on the arrival of the body in town, he was taken in charge by the Order of this place. He was taken to Dutch Flat Sunday morning for burial where his family resides. – Truckee Republican

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, May 16, 1928
Mrs. Laura Pleasant Died at Auburn Saturday

Mrs. Laura Frances Pleasant, mother of Mrs. Cora G. George of Roseville, passed away at the Auburn Hospital on Saturday, May 12, 1928, at the age of 63 years, after a lingering illness of long duration, the last several months of which she has been a patient in the hospital. Until her removal to Auburn, she made her home in Roseville with her daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. George. She was a native of Kentucky and is survived by two brothers living in that state, Jacob and Mark Warren; by her daughter, Mrs. George; and grandchildren, William, Bradford, Lorraine, and Teddy George of Roseville. Friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral Wednesday at 1:30 PM from the Shiloh Baptist Church, 6th and P Streets, Sacramento. Interment will be in the Odd Fellows Lawn Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 7-24-1929
Funeral Today at 2:30 for Mrs. Edna Z. Poe

Funeral services for Mrs. Edna Zeh Poe will be held from the Broyer & Magner Chapel this afternoon at 2 o’clock. Burial will be in the Sylvan Cemetery. Her pastor, Rev. Paul Giesser of the Church of God, will officiate. Mrs. Poe passed away at 7 PM Sunday at the Sutter Hospital where she had been taken a few days previous. Her illness, however, extended over a period of two months. She had always been strong and well until last winter when a long siege of influenza undermined her health. Mrs. Poe was born December 22, 1888, at the ranch home of her parents two miles south of Roseville. She attended the Dry Creek School and grew to young womanhood in this vicinity, becoming the wife of Edward G. Poe August 4, 1910. One child, Ervin, survives this union. For the last 25 years, Mrs. Poe has been actively engaged in church work. On the death of her own mother eight years ago, she took over the teaching of her Sunday school class and has continued in that work every since. She was ever a kind, lovable, conscientious, loyal wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. Her friends were legion and her loss among them will be keenly felt. Her mother, Mrs. Rose Zeh, and five brothers and sisters have preceded her in death. Left to mourn her loss are her beloved husband and son; her father, Christian Zeh; and one sister, Louise Zeh of Oakland; and a brother, Edward Zeh of Sacramento. Casket bearers will be John and Rudolph Glesser, Philip Neueiburg, Joe Neueiburg, M. McMahan, and S. F. King.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 4-6-1916

Henry S. Porter died March 31, 1916, at the age of 85 years, five months and sixteen days, having been born Oct. 15, 1831. He was a native of County Cavan, Ireland, of Scottish ancestry. At the age of seventeen, he bade farewell to his native land and the scenes of his childhood and came to New York, where for nine years he was engaged in business. It was there he met and married his life companion in the person of Miss Amelia Brown, also a native of County Cavan, Ireland. They were married Oct. 14, 1857, thus having traveled life’s pathway in an unbroken fellowship for nearly fifty-nine years. Right after their marriage, they started for San Francisco via the then Isthmus of Panama, arriving after being on the journey 24 days. After two years spent at different points in the state, they finally settled on their present home near Folsom in 1859, where until just a few years ago he followed the business of farming. He was identified with all public enterprises to the limit of his time and strength and ever ready to lend a helping hand to anyone in need. For nearly half a century, he had been a member of the Roseville lodge of the IOOF, which he served as an officer and member with faithfulness that characterized his entire business and domestic life. Though he had known much suffering, he was able to be about until the end came. The end came as peacefully as a night’s sleep. The eyes closed and the soul took its departure for its home; well might the psalmist sing: “He giveth his beloved sleep.” With the remembrance of his many good deeds and his kindly smile, we rise to call him blessed. Besides a loving wife and a devoted daughter, Mrs. E. C. Bedell, he leaves three sons, Henry G. and Joseph of San Francisco and Robert of this vicinity, five grandchildren and one great-grandchild. And un-numbered friends throughout the county and state. The funeral was held Sunday and was under the auspices of the lodge of Odd Fellows of which he had been a member for such a long time.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 4-4-1918

Mrs. Maud Almira Porter was born in Brockport, New York, October 26, 1876, and passed from life in Sacramento, March 27, 1918, at the age of 41 years, 5 months and 1 day. The first 24 years of her useful life were spent in her native state where she graduated from the normal school and taught for several years with marked success. In 1901 she came to California where she stayed but a short time, going to Colorado for one year, when she entered the Wesleyn Hospital in Chicago from which she graduated with honors. Her sympathetic interest grew as the days went by and to relieve suffering was her highest mission. After a short stay amid her girlhood scenes, in response to a friend’s illness she came to California where she since remained. Here her abilities were soon recognized, and she became head nurse in the German Hospital in San Francisco where she was during the catastrophe of earthquake and fire April 1906. For the next four years, she followed her profession in Palo Alto. After one year in Orangevale with her father, she was united in marriage with Mr. Robert Porter on October 23, 1911. Since then she had taken great interest in making a happy home on Point Lookout Ranch near Roseville. Here she had opportunity to breathe nature’s pure atmosphere for which her heart and soul longed. Living for her was the constant acquiring of knowledge and its ready application to the needs of life. Aside from her normal training and medical training, she had taken special courses in floral culture and other botanical branches of which she was a lover. With all of her accomplishments of mind and heart and hand, she never lost sight of the fact that these were but means to a worthy end. She had the happy faculty of adapting her knowledge to the needs of humanity in such a way as to impress one with her earnest devotion to her task. Ever learning and ever teaching was her delight. From early childhood, she was devoted to religious ideals and identified herself with the Methodist Church. It was the comfort and hope derived from this source that created in her a deep interest in the welfare of others. Hers was an unfolding life of increasing beauty radiating the grace of willing service all along her pathway. She was the efficient secretary and treasurer of the Roseville branch of the Farm Bureau and did much to make the unit one of the foremost in the county. Her careful records and cheerful manner made her services of inestimable value. Her place will be difficult to fill. Besides a grandmother 98 years old living in New York; a loving father, Mr. Charles B. Chapman; a devoted brother, Mr. Vernon N. Chapman; and a grief-stricken husband, Mr. Robert Porter, she leaves countless friends gathered about her throughout a brief but useful life which bloomed as the flowers of everlasting spring.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 9-28-1916
Mother and Son Found Murdered - Mrs. Clotilde Povalino and her Small Child Are Each Shot in Head - Bodies Found in Ravine - Povalino Asked Officer’s Aid in Finding Wife and Boy

District Attorney Landis and Sheriff McAulay have been investigating the deaths of Mrs. Clotilde Povalino and her 3-year-old son, whose bodies were found by Musco, the husband and father, and his brother at 2 o’clock this morning in a lonely ravine. The officers are convinced a double murder has been committed and will return for further investigation. Povalino, who is a junkman, told Constable Hoke he left his home in Sierra Vista addition, north of the Roseville Union High School, about 9:45 o’clock in the forenoon to go to the butcher shop, and the delivery boy with the meat found the house empty. Povalino, on returning home, found his wife and boy had gone, but he waited all day for their return, thinking they had gone for a walk or on a visit. Povalino, his brother, and Hoke started on a search. About 10 o’clock last night Hoke gave up the search, but the two Povalinos declared they would continue looking for the woman and 3-year-old boy. About 2 o’clock Wednesday morning, Povalino telephoned that he had found the bodies. Both had bullet wounds in their heads, which were the cause of the deaths. McAulay from the first was convinced a double murder had been committed, and an examination of the ravine where the bodies were found showed no signs of a struggle. The faces of the woman and child were powder-burned, showing the murderer was close to his victim when he fired the fatal shots. Povalino could not give the officers any further information and is deeply grieved over the loss of his wife and son. The officers thought probably they had a case of black-hand mystery to unravel. An inspection of the Povalino house showed a pile of dirt in the backyard, proving Mrs. Povalino had been sweeping there and had not finished her work when she was killed. No one saw the woman and child leave the house, and no one was seen going to the home. Mrs. Povalino was 35 years of age and her son 3 years old. The family came here about five years ago.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 5-26-1910

Mrs. Amelia Prewett died at her home in the Schellhous addition in this city, Tuesday morning, at the advanced age of 84 years, 11 months, and 24 days. Deceased came to this section and has resided near Roseville and Antelope since 1853, and was highly respected by all who knew her. One son, W. J. Prewett, employed in the railroad works here, and three grandchildren survive her. The remains will be buried today, the Rev. Colin Anderson officiating.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 8-7-1929
Funeral Held Monday for Claude Prichard

Funeral services were held Monday afternoon from the Congregational Church at Rocklin over the body of Claude Leslie Prichard, 34, who died at the Weimar Sanitarium last Friday after a lingering illness. The funeral was conducted by the Rev. Paul B. Franklin, pastor of the Foursquare Lighthouse at Roseville. Interment was at Rocklin Cemetery. Rev. W. R. Steelberg, pastor of the Foursquare Church at Sacramento, sang by request "God’s Promises Are Sure" and closed with "Some Day He’ll Make It Plain". There was a large attendance of friends. The deceased was a native of Indiana, where in 1915 he was married to Henrietta Tewell. Besides the wife, two children survive—Leroy and Lena Grace. An elder daughter, Elizabeth, was killed in an automobile accident eight months ago. Mr. Prichard was taken to the Weimar Sanitarium nearly a year ago, suffering from lung disease.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 11-28-1928
Rocklin Girl, 11, Dies After Auto Crash Monday – Car Overturns When Hit by Another Auto Between Here and Rocklin

Mrs. Harrietta Prichard and her three children were returning from Lincoln to their home in Rocklin Monday evening. About 7 o’clock, just before reaching the midway service station of Dick Ross on the Roseville-Rocklin Road, another car collided with the Prichard car and the latter was turned around in the direction of Roseville, turning on its side. One daughter, Elizabeth, aged eleven years, was caught beneath the car while Mrs. Prichard and the two other children were confined within the wrecked automobile. Willing hands soon extricated the little one and the others from the wreck. Elizabeth was rushed to the Southern Pacific Emergency Hospital in Roseville where Dr. B. Woodbridge did everything possible to save the life of the little girl, but he was fighting against the grim reaper and the odds were too great. At 12 o’clock midnight her slender form tremblingly gave up the spirit, and she was gone to the better land. The grief of the family is accentuated by the absence of the father who is a patient in the sanatorium at Weimar and unable to leave to lend aid to the stricken family. The other car was driven by A. Mackomich of Rocklin. He was accompanied by his wife and Mrs. R. C. McKenzie. Mr. Mackomich is held in no way to blame by Mrs. Prichard who declares it purely accidental. Mr. Mackomich got another automobile, brought the little girl and her mother to the hospital, and rendered all possible assistance to the family in their bereavement. Funeral services for Elizabeth Prichard will be held in the Glad Tidings Tabernacle on Riverside Avenue at 10 o’clock AM on Friday. Interment will be in the cemetery in Rocklin.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 12-5-1928
Funeral Services Are Held on Friday for Elizabeth Prichard

Funeral services were held last Friday forenoon in the Tabernacle on Riverside Avenue for Elizabeth Prichard who met her death in an automobile accident on the Rocklin Road. The Tabernacle was beautifully decorated with choice chrysanthemums. The funeral cortege reached the Tabernacle a few moments before, and the little casket was lovingly borne by six of the little girl’s friends from Rocklin, dressed in white. The services were impressively begun with a touching and comforting prayer by her pastor, Rev. Paul Franklin, in which he petitioned the kind Heavenly Father to help the bereaved to realize that death is only a fleeting shadow which is the realization of the Father’s presence, is flooded by the sunshine of his tender love and sympathy, and that there might come to them the consciousness of His everlasting arms about them. Then came one of the most beautiful and tender features of the service as her little childhood sweetheart, Charles Coon of Lincoln, sang the stately and majestic hymn “The Old Rugged Cross.” Of the hope of the centuries as it rests in the old rugged cross, rising in its majesty towering o’er the wrecks of time. The sermon by Pastor Franklin was based upon I Thess. 4, “I would have you know, brethren, concerning them who are asleep that ye sorrow not as those who have no hope. She’s gone but the little house in which she walked in with us. Our only hope is in Jesus. As He rose from the dead, so shall we break asunder the bonds of the grave and from death the sting shall be taken and victory shall be snatched from the grave. As the beautiful flowers perform their bright ministry of love and fold their petals and die and yet their fragrance is preserved, how true it was of little Elizabeth as she spoke to her schoolmates of Jesus and lived His life before them. She thus preached a far better sermon than many of our great preachers. Our hearts,” said the pastor, “are cheered by the thought of the beautiful welcome that awaits her in that better land where there shall be no more sorrow and no more tears.” The impressive sermon was drawn to a close with a few words of exhortation to the living to emulate the life of the little one that each one should be ready when the final summons should come. The tender service was concluded by the rendering of the comforting hymn, “Asleep in the Arms of Jesus.” Many loving friends passed before the little casket and then following the little one to her last resting place in the Rocklin Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 12-10-1926
Last Rites for Walter Prouty at Berkeley – Many From Here Make Long Journey to Pay Last Tribute to Beloved Friend

Funeral services for the last Walter Prouty of Roseville, who passed away in the Bohannan Institute in Berkeley, were held in that city on Tuesday at 10 o’clock AM from the Gurgin Undertaking Parlor. The body was laid to rest in beautiful Mountain View Cemetery, Oakland, with full Masonic rites, a Masonic lodge of that city conducting the services, attended by a Knights Templar escort. The casket bearers were C. W. Moffitt, P. E. Wermuth, E. W. Parrish, M. Hurley, R. S. Wheeler, and J. B. Brown, all of Roseville. Walter Pryne Prouty was born April 25, 1875, on a farm at New Boston, Illinois, where his ancestors were among the sturdy people from the east who pioneered and developed the great Prairie State. He attended the public school at New Boston and Aledo where he graduated from the high school and followed this up with a course in another institution of learning in Wisconsin. While attending school and for a few years thereafter, he worked on the home farm and afterward got his first taste of railroading, when after learning telegraphy, he became a telegraph operator in his native state. He followed that vocation there for a few years and then responded to the lure of the west, coming to California about 25 years ago. Landing in Sacramento, he soon obtained a position with the Southern Pacific Railroad but did not continue his telegraphic career, the great out-of-doors having a stronger hold upon him by reason of his early environment. He was ambitious to become a locomotive engineer and beginning as fireman he was in due time promoted. Ever mindful of the great responsibility of his position, he kept himself fit by clean living. In May 1906, he was united in marriage with Miss May Lanahan of Truckee, where Mr. Prouty was at that time on duty. They also lived at Sparks, Nevada, before coming to Roseville eleven years ago. The home-loving traits of this devoted couple were developed to a high degree. After being in Roseville but a few weeks, they bought a home as they did in their two previous places of abode. So far as his limited time at home from his duties would permit, he took a prominent part in the development of this city, and always evinced a keen interest in public affairs. Being endowed by ancestry with an early training with clean habits and right-thinking propensities and having two fine boys growing to future citizenship, Mr. Prouty could always be depended upon to exert his efforts and influence for those things that promote the best interests of the community, especially having in mind the younger people. He was a friend of the schools and everything that tended to promote clean, moral environment. Walter Prouty was beloved by all who knew him. And as one of his co-workers said,

“The longer you knew him, the better you loved him and the more you appreciated his many splendid traits of character.”

Even-tempered and always wearing a pleasant smile, he made friends easily and with him it was “once a friend, always a friend.” His last months on earth were months of great suffering but through it all he bore up with extreme fortitude and his winning smile remained with him as he passed to the Great Beyond at 3:15 o’clock on the morning of December 2, 1926, with his devoted wife and two sons, Felton and George, at his bedside. Mr. Prouty was raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason in Lodge No. 59 at New Boston, Illinois, April 27, 1901, and retained his membership in that lodge. He was a member of Ben Ali Temple of the Mystic Shrine of Sacramento, of Rose Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star of this city, of the Odd Fellows Lodge of Truckee, and of Roseville Division of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. Besides his wife and two sons, Mr. Prouty is survived by five brothers, William, Omri, Harry, Charles, and Felton Prouty, and one sister, Mrs. Fred Sloane, all living in the vicinity of the old home in Illinois. One brother, Omri, came to attend the funeral and will depart for his home this evening. Among those from Roseville who made the journey to pay a last tribute to the memory of their esteemed friend and fraternal brother were the following:  Messrs. and Mesdames E. W. Parrish, H. D. Mullnix, R. S. Wheeler, P. E. Wermuth, C. W. Moffitt, Bert Hite, J. B. Brown, C. L. Leavey, Mrs. F. A. Denny, Messrs. J. H. Mueller, H. P. Newman, M. Hurley, J. O’Toole, B. J. Turko, W. W. Zell, W. T. Reardon, J. Kinkler, F. E. Hudson, R. Falltrick, and Ben Nelson. Others attending were Messrs. And Mesdames C. A. Fogus, John Lord, and A. O. Rader, and Messrs. D. A. Pellham and R. S. Wales of Sacramento, Mr. and Mrs. P. M. Doyle of Dixon, G. Carson of Truckee, Mr. and Mrs. M. P. Irving and Mr. and Mrs. F. H. Callighan of San Francisco; Mr. and Mrs. E. Pendergast, Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Allen, Mrs. C. R. McRae, Mrs. E. M. Parker, G. Morgan, Mr. Pegg and son, W. E. Hite, H. R. Morrison and R. Finch of Oakland.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 8-28-1919
Meets Death as When Trains Pass

Joseph Henry Province was killed in the local yards Sunday morning when he was caught between two trains. Province, together with a chum, was “beating” his way south, and according to the evidence at the Coroner’s inquest held Sunday afternoon, they were attempting to catch a ride on an outgoing freight train, and while so doing, an approaching passenger train on another track attracted their attention. The trains were on adjoining tracks, and Province turned to see how his chum was getting along when he was struck on the head or shoulder by the passenger train, throwing him against the cars and dragging him along, causing fatal injuries. The body was shipped to his parents’ home at Lowell, Ohio. The chum is in town, heart-broken over the accident, as he says the two had been chums for six years and were like brothers.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Monday, 6-10-1985

July 22, 1884 – June 8, 1985. A service for 100-year-old Ollie J. Pruett, will be held at 1 PM on Tuesday at the Roseville District Cemetery. Mrs. Pruett died Saturday at a local convalescent hospital. Friends may call until 8 PM tonight and from 9 AM to noon on Tuesday at Cochrane’s Chapel of the Roses, 103 Lincoln Street, Roseville. The Texas native moved to Salinas in 1944 and to Roseville in 1961. Surviving are two daughters, Donna E. Gillett of Rocklin and Ethel White of Roswell, NM; nine grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren; 11 great-great-grandchildren; and one great-great-great-grandchild.

Roseville Register, Friday, 11-8-1918

Pio Pucci, a native of Italy, aged 36 years, died October 29, 1918, of influenza. Deceased was an employee of the Southern Pacific shops in this city. He was unmarried. Burial was in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 11-16-1878
Ophir Item

Mr. C. D. Pugh, a prominent citizen of this place, died Tuesday morning. He had been sick only a few days. The Thursday before he had been at work in the orchard nearly all day, removing the artificial coverings put around the trees as a protection against the rabbits. In doing this work he knelt on the damp ground a good deal of the time. The result was that he caught a severe cold, which turned into pneumonia and caused his death. Mr. Pugh was one of the oldest residents of the place, having located here in 1850, we think. As a citizen and neighbor, he stood deservedly high in the estimation of those who knew him as an honest, truthful man. In his death, the community suffers a loss that will long be felt. He leaves a wife, but no children.

Roseville Register, 10-28-1909
Passing of a Pioneer – One of Placer’s Good Citizens Crosses the Great Divide

Edwin Purdy, a well-known and highly respected citizen of eastern Placer County, died at his late resident, 1-1/2 miles south of Rocklin on the Roseville Road, last Tuesday evening, October 19th. Mr. Purdy had been in poor health for several years, and his many friends and neighbors will be grieved to hear of his death. Edwin Purdy was born at Croton Falls, NY, June 8, 1832, his parents being Caleb and Elizabeth (Knox) Purdy. On his mother’s side, he was a direct descendant of General Knox of revolutionary fame. When only 17 years old (in fact, he celebrated his 17th birthday on board of ship while making the trip) he started with a sick brother for California. He with his brother spent three months on the Isthmus of Panama waiting for a vessel to take them to California, when they secured passage on the bark Kirkwood, which landed them in San Francisco, July 12, 1849, his brother having fully recovered his health on the trip from Panama to San Francisco. On landing, he immediately struck out for the placers of El Dorado and Placer counties, where he followed mining for three years, saving enough of the precious metal to allow him to take a course in the Santa Clara College. After obtaining an education, he taught school in Sonoma County for awhile, but he soon tired of teaching and went to Arizona, then a wild and unknown land, filled with vicious Apache and murdering Comanche, where, as agent for the overland mail route, he bought horses and feed to supply 150 miles of said route. He also drove a stage when necessary, and he had many narrow escapes from the hostile Indians. Returning to California after spending several years in Arizona, he followed various pursuits, such as stage driving, mining, and stock-raising. He conducted a livery stable at Folsom, where he also mined some. He filled the important position of agent for the San Juan Grant rancho of Sacramento County for four years or more, leaving that position and coming to Placer County in 1874, where he has resided ever since, following stock raising and dairying. On January 1, 1874, at the “16 mile house” on the old Auburn road, he was married to Miss L. E. Campbell. Ten children was the result of the union, the widow and 9 grown children surviving him. He was an active Odd Fellow and took great interest in the welfare of Roseville Lodge No. 203, of which he was an enthusiastic member, having twice served as district deputy. He helped to institute and was a charter member of the Roseville Rebekah Lodge. Edwin Purdy was a good man, a good citizen, a good neighbor, and a good friend, always standing for the right. His remains were laid at rest Friday afternoon in the Odd Fellows Cemetery at Roseville, followed by a large number of friends, many coming from a distance to pay the last tribute to their old friend. The funeral was conducted under the auspices of the Roseville Lodges of Odd Fellows and Rebekahs.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 2-8-1929

Lucinda Ellen Purdy, daughter of the late Peter and Catherine Campbell, honored pioneers of Roseville, was born in Arkansas, May 15, 1854, and when three years of age accompanied them on their perilous journey across the plains to California as members of one of the largest and most thoroughly equipped caravans of the covered wagon expeditions. They were among the few survivors to reach the Golden State, the greater portion having been massacred by the Indians in Nebraska as they were taking a different route under ill advised directions. Through the Carson Valley this intrepid company came by Placerville to Brighton, near Sacramento, where a month was spent recuperating, after which they went to Marysville for one year, when they moved to Sylvan for several years. Here her school days were happily spent, and on January 1, 1874, she was united in marriage with Mr. Edwin Purdy of Folsom where two years of their long wedded life were spent, when they came to Rocklin and later to Roseville. It was here that she was bereft of her devoted companion, October 22, 1909. Since then she had continued to make her home on the farm east of Roseville where she enjoyed the exceptional privilege of constant association with several members of the large family that came to bless this happy union, of two members of distinguished pioneer families. Home making was her delight as she quietly assumed the exacting duties of wife and mother, amid the trials and hardships incident to early days in the west. Hers it was always to find a method of solving the perplexing problems of the hour. Her patient sympathetic nature was noteworthy and often proved a boon to others who were likewise passing through trials that tested the faith and endurance of even the stalwart. While a lover of home and all the cherished ideals surrounding the fireside, she was ever friendly toward those in need and always lent a helping hand that betokened a generous loving nature whose watchword was service. Homecoming days were hailed with enthusiasm and delight. Like many other true mothers, she was never happier than when surrounded by her children whose affectionate solicitude was reverently appreciated. Her health was unusually good, and she especially profited by accompanying her brother Peter Campbell to Columbus, Ohio, last year when he represented the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen in their national convention, after which she visited in many parts of the union. It was in the loss of her beloved daughter Anna last September that she began to fail in health, and two weeks prior to her passing she was a patient sufferer who deeply appreciated the tender solicitude of beloved ones and the medical skill bestowed. On Saturday morning, February 2, 1929, while surrounded by her entire family, the spirit took its flight, leaving the benediction of a good life that had been identified with the community for some seventy years. For nearly a half century she was an esteemed member of the Minerva Rebekah Lodge where her counsel land fellowship enriched the lives of two generations. For eight years she was affiliated with the Heber Chapter of the Order of Eastern Star. In these circles as well as in her quiet attentive interest of the neighborhood will her valuable contributions be long remembered. The following sons and daughter remain to honor a loving mother:  Chester S. of Sparks, Nevada; Walter E., Lambert B., Floyd and Charles Purdy of Roseville; Miss Jessie E. Purdy, Lily M. Pendell of Roseville, Lottie E. Kanoff of Fair Oaks. One son, Judson H. Purdy died in 1907. There are eight grandchildren and the following brothers and sisters:  Peter H. Campbell of Roseville, Phillip L. Campbell of Vallejo, Mrs. Nancy A. Lowell of Sacramento, Mrs. C. M. Fitzgerald of San Francisco, Mrs. Allie Deardorf and Mrs. Frances Horan of Sacramento, Mrs. Julia Gorst of Portland, Mrs. Lizzie Mushett of Los Angeles. One sister, Mrs. Mollie Trippett, passed to the life beyond in 1920, one brother Richard Campbell in October 1929. A host of friends join in honoring one who has ever known as a friend in word and deed. The very largely attended funeral services were held from the Masonic Temple in Roseville under the auspices of the Eastern Star and the Rebekah lodges, assisted by Rev. Thomas H. Mee and directed by Mr. and Mrs. Guy E. West. The honorary pall bearers were Messrs. A. Sprague, Sr., A. B. McRae, A. Hanish, J. E. Beckwith, Adolph Van Maren, Ed Hannill, with the following active bearers, Walter Astill, William Butler, Ed Crabb, Alvin Sprague, Ed Schelhouse, and C. B. Layton. Interment was in the family plot in the Odd Fellows Cemetery where many choice floral offering were placed.