Obituaries - N

Today is: part of CA GenWeb



Below you will find a complilation of obituaries gathered from various newspapers throughout Placer County. If YOU have an obituary for a Placer County resident and would like to addit to this collection, please contact the county coorinators.

Placer County Reader (Auburn), Thursday, 1-17-1898

Mrs. Carrie Nagler of Sacramento, but formerly of Auburn, died in the Capital city on Friday. Mrs. Nagler was a native of France and was aged 49 years at the time of her death, which was caused by cancer from which she had suffered for two and one half years. Mrs. Nagler, who had also resided at Greenwood, El Dorado County, about seven years ago conducted the Borland Hotel, then known as the Arlington. Two children, Flora and Charles, survive their mother. Mrs. F. B. Dixon and Mrs. R. E. Lee of Auburn are stepdaughters and attended the funeral which took place in Sacramento on Sunday at 2 PM.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 6-1-1878
Died of Lockjaw

Richard Nance, stepson to Nick Vincent of Pilot Hill, whose demise on the 22d ult. is recorded in another column, came to his death under the following melancholy and peculiar circumstances:  On or about the 13th he stuck a nail into his foot accidentally. Measures of relief were at once provided, and he apparently suffered but little inconvenience from the wound a day or two afterwards. On the 20th he was at work haying when he began to experience the premonitory symptoms that culminated in lockjaw. He is said to have greatly suffered previous to his death. A very remarkable thing to be mentioned in this connection is that whereas deceased prior to his injury was one of the most incorrigible stutterers ever known, for the eight or nine days preceding his death he spoke as fluently and as distinctly as anyone. Deceased was a promising young man of 20, and his untimely end is widely mourned.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Wednesday, 2-19-1969

Funeral services for Mrs. Lucy M. Nason, 75, are set for tomorrow at 2 PM at Cochrane’s Chapel of the Roses, under the auspices of Rose Chapter No. 2929, Order of Eastern Star. Also officiating will be the Rev. Phillip Pierson of Christ Unity Church of Sacramento. Burial will be in the Roseville Cemetery. Mrs. Nason, who resided at 525 Sierra Blvd., Roseville, died Feb. 17 in the Roseville hospital. A native of Damascus, Placer County, she came to Rocklin in 1907 and moved to Roseville in 1916. She was a member of Rose Chapter No. 252, Order of Eastern Star, Emerald Lodge No. 135, Auxiliary to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, and Placer Division No. 322, GIA to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. The widow of the late Malcolm W. Nason who died in 1965, she is survived by two brothers, Irvin D. Elliott and Thomas R. Elliott, and two sisters, Marie Leveque and Marguetie Brill, all of Roseville. Remembrances may be made to the Roseville Community Hospital Expansion Fund and may be mailed directly to Roseville Community Hospital, 333 Sunrise Avenue.

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 1-29-1930
Samuel F. Neely, 61, Dies in his Caboose

Samuel F. Neely, 61, Southern Pacific conductor, died suddenly at Colfax Monday afternoon. Funeral services will be held from the Broyer & Magner Chapel this afternoon at 2 o’clock. Interment will be at East Lawn Cemetery. Death came to the veteran conductor on the run from Sparks into Roseville. At Truckee he complained of not feeling well, but he remained at his post. A short time before the train entered Colfax, Conductor Neely went out to set his signals. When he returned to his caboose, he sat down and a few minutes later slumped over. He was dead when examined by Dr. Peers of Colfax who had been summoned to meet the train. Deceased leaves a widow, Lilly. Their home is at 217 Sierra Boulevard. He had been a conductor with the Southern Pacific many years, moving to Roseville 16 years ago. He was a native of Pennsylvania. Rev. Jackson of Los Angeles will conduct the funeral services here this afternoon. Members of the Brotherhood of Railway Conductors will assist in the services.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 1-31-1930
Many Gather to Pay Respects at S. F. Neely Bier

Funeral services for the late Samuel F. Neely, who passed away suddenly while on duty on his train at Colfax Monday, were held from the Broyer & Magner Chapel Wednesday afternoon. A large concourse of friends assembled to pay their last respects to a man greatly beloved by all, who was summoned so suddenly and unexpectedly from their midst. Services were conducted by the Rev. H. T. Jackson, a brother-in-law of Mr. Neely of Los Angeles, assisted by the Rev. J. L. Harvey of Elk Grove, former pastor of the Presbyterian Church here. Burial took place in East Lawn Mausoleum, Sacramento. Casket-bearers were George Green, James Davis, L. H. Smith, F. A. Baker, W. J. McNeil, and A. J. Schwestka, friends and neighbors of the deceased. Samuel F. Neely was born 61 years ago in Washington County, Pennsylvania, where he grew to young manhood, moving to Iowa in later years. He was united in marriage to Miss Lillie Barber of Plain Grove, Iowa, December 30, 1902. Three children were born to this union, all of whom died in infancy. He engaged in farming for several years, later entering the employ of various railroads in the east. In 1913, Mr. and Mrs. Neely moved to Roseville where he entered the employ of the Southern Pacific Company. He had been a freight conductor for many years and at times was in the passenger service. Deceased was a member of Faith Lodge No. 179 at Mount Ayre, Iowa, and Roseville Division No. 574, Order of Railway Conductors, the latter organization assisting in the funeral services. Besides his bereaved widow, Mrs. Lillie Neely, he leaves to mourn his sudden passing two sisters, Mrs. W. U. Watson of Washington, DC, and Mrs. C. T. Leason of Mount Ayre, Iowa; and a brother, J. C. Neely of San Antonio, Texas. A sister, Mrs. James Ingram, passed away in 1920 at Neosha, Missouri. Mrs. Neely’s brother-in-law and sister, the Rev. and Mrs. H. T. Jackson, and Mr. Neely’s niece, Miss Helen Ingram of Los Angeles, were here to attend the funeral services. Mr. Neely was a man of exemplary character and highest Christian ideals. He was greatly beloved and held in the highest esteem by the men with whom he worked and by his neighbors, and will be greatly missed by a host of friends.

Auburn Journal, Wednesday, 2-26-1975

Funeral services for William Alfred Neep, an Auburn area resident for 18 years, will be conducted at the Chapel of the Hills at 10 o’clock this morning. Mr. Neep, a native of Sacramento, died February 22 in a local hospital. He was 62. Survivors include his wife, Esther J. of Auburn; three sons, Harold G. of Auburn, Roger L. of Loomis, and William A. of Foresthill; three daughters, Charlotte H. Titus of Alaska, Esther J. Hicks of Nevada, and Sherry S. Jones of Auburn; a brother, Albert of Roseville; a sister, Virginia Beeman of Roseville; and 19 grandchildren.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 11-19-1926

Laura Neff, one in a family of seven children, was born in Gold Run, Placer County, California, in 1869, and passed peacefully from this life at the family residence on Circuit Drive, Roseville, California, Monday, November 15. She lived in her native community until after her marriage to Frank C. Neff in 1891 when they moved to Blue Canyon and later to Rocklin. In 1908, with the removal of the Southern Pacific shops to Roseville, the family took up their residence here, where she had since lived. Her home and family were her joy, while in each place where she sojourned, the blessings of a devoted wife and loving mother were further attested to by her unselfish service to others. In this as well as in countless other ways she left the lasting impression of her Christian character. From her cheerful self-sacrificing nature there radiated sunshine and hope that have extended across the years with measureless profit to many. For more than a year, she had been a constant sufferer who continued to live in the anticipation of complete restoration. The end of life’s earthly journey came, therefore, with a sense of surprise and deep loss to the loved ones and friends. In her passing she leaves to bless her precious memory, her grief-stricken companion, whose health has been impaired for years, and her devoted son, Clarence F. Neff of Roseville; also one brother, Clarence Powers of Oakland; and the following sisters:  Mrs. M. H. Price of Grants Pass, Oregon, Mrs. L. C. Peterman of Winnemucca, Nevada, and Mrs. Louise Mellar of Gold Run. With these, many united in tender sympathy. The funeral services were held from the chapel of Broyer & Magner, Thursday morning, Rev. T. H. Mee officiating, with Mrs. A. S. Teal, Mrs. B. C. Knapp, Mrs. J. L. Boyer, and Miss Mary Pasold singing, “Some Sweet Day Bye and Bye” and :The City Four Square.” Interment was in the family plot in Rocklin Cemetery where many choice floral offerings were tenderly laid.

Roseville Press-Tribune, April 1966
Viet Nam War Claims Life of Young Roseville Marine – Aunt, Uncle Are Notified of Fatality

Private First Class Mariano R. Negranza, Jr. of Roseville was killed during an “operation against hostile forces” in the Republic of Viet Nam yesterday. Private Negranza, an 18-year-old member of the United States Marine Corps, died of multiple fragmentation wounds near Da Nang. He would have been nineteen in two months. His death marked Roseville’s first fatality in the Viet Nam conflict. Mr. and Mrs. Severo Contreras of 328 C Street, the boy’s uncle and aunt, received the “we regret to inform you…” telegram early this morning, and a blanket of sorrow fell over their small home. Mr. and Mrs. Contreras had, in reality, been the boy’s parents. They took him into their home when he was 11 years old and raised him here in Roseville. Mariano was the son of Mrs. Contreras’ sister who lived in Mexico. She wanted her boy to be educated in the United States, and Mariano was sent here. He was graduated from the Atlantic Street elementary school and studied two years at Roseville High School. Then he returned to Mexico for a short period. The telegram from Marine Corps Commandant Wallace Green did not explain exactly how the young private was killed. It stated simply that he was in action against the enemy. Mariano enlisted in the Marine Corps last August and was transferred to Viet Nam for combat duty Feb. 17. Just before leaving Camp Pendleton near San Diego in February, he wrote a letter to Mr. and Mrs. Contreras saying:  “Don’t write to me here anymore. I am going overseas.” Private Negranza is survived by his aunt and uncle, their three daughters, Catherine, Amelia, and Francis, all of Roseville, and a niece, Connie, also of Roseville. His body will be shipped back to this country for burial.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 11-10-1877
Despondency and Death

On Tuesday morning the dead body of a man named Andrew Nelsen was found on Hall and Rayer’s ranch in the hills seven miles above Lincoln. Messrs. Hall and Rayer both came up to Auburn immediately to notify the coroner. From them we gleaned the following information. Deceased had come up from Alameda County with Mr. Rayer about six weeks ago. He had worked for Mr. Rayer and the latter having decided upon removing with his family to this county, Nelsen, who had little or no means, asked if he had any chance for a job if he came up with him, and Rayer said he didn’t know; he might come up and they would see. So he accompanied Rayer. While on the way up and when near Roseville, Nelsen received a kick from a horse on the right arm. Although no bones were broken, that member was rendered entirely useless and at times it caused him much suffering. Finding it did not become better, he became despondent and was heard to say more than once that he wished he had been killed at the time of the hurt and that he had a mind to blow his brains out. It would seem, further, that he was somewhat of a hypochondriac from the fact that even before he sustained the injury, he had been heard to remark that a poor man had no right to live; that life was a failure without riches, and so on. He borrowed Mr. Rayer’s gun on Monday and went off, as he said, to kill a rabbit or two. Not returning that evening, search was made for him next morning by Rayer, who found him dead, as already stated, near a white oak tree about six hundred yards from the house. He had been shot in the pit of the stomach, and that he did the deed himself there is every reason to believe as the clothing covering that part of his body was burned by the powder. He was a single man, about 35 years of age. A verdict of suicide was returned.

NELSON, Adolph F.
Sacramento Union, 4/09/1916

In Auburn (Placer Co.), April 7, 1916, Adolph F. Nelson, a native of Sweden, aged 54 years.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 4-17-1929
Well Known Lincoln Matron Passed Away Saturday

On Saturday, April 13th, 1929, Mrs. Lottie Bell Newcomb, a resident of Lincoln, passed from this life following an operation in an Auburn hospital. She was the wife of Thomas F. Newcomb and was forty-three years of age. Funeral services will be held in Lincoln at the Methodist Church this (Wednesday) afternoon at 2:30 o’clock. Burial will be in the Manzanita Cemetery, Lincoln. She was a native of Washington state. She is survived by her husband T. F. Newcomb and the following children:  Mrs. F. M. Nelson of Sacramento, Thomas Floyd Newcomb, Frederick Inman Newcomb, and Cora Jane Newcomb of Lincoln; by one sister, Mrs. May Vining of Waitsburg, Washington; and by two grandchildren.

Roseville Register, Saturday, 4-18-1908
Death of Rocklin Girl

Helen Newman, six-year-old daughter of Henry P. Newman of Rocklin, passed away Saturday night at the Wentworth Hospital in Sacramento after suffering untold agony for several days. The little girl choked to death, for after her demise an examination of her throat showed that a pine nut bad been lodged in the wind-pipe, with the ends piercing the flesh and almost completely cutting off the supply of air. The unfortunate child was the oldest of two girls. She first complained of her throat bothering her Wednesday of last week, and her parents immediately called a physician. Despite the efforts of the doctor, the girl gradually got worse until she was taken to Sacramento. Every effort was made to locate the nut with the X-ray, but to no avail. The funeral took place in Sacramento Wednesday.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-19-1911
Two Old Residents Answer Last Call

Benjamin Franklin Peacock, one of Placer County’s oldest residents, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. W. C. Conroy, Thursday of last week. The funeral was held Friday from the home, Rev. W. A. Cash officiating. Mr. Peacock was a native of Pennsylvania, aged 92 years. He came across the plains by ox team in 1849 and settled in El Dorado County, within 10 miles of where James Marshall first discovered gold. He engaged in mining and farming and kept the Mountain Cottage three miles from Pilot Hill. Mountain Cottage was a stopping place for teamsters, and on February 22d of each year was the scene of a grand ball, people coming from Sacramento and San Francisco to attend. Mr. Peacock came to Auburn 16 years ago. He is survived by three daughters and one son:  Mrs. W. C. Conroy and Mrs. Laura Taylor of Auburn; Mrs. Ralph Howcroft of Reno; and Frank J. Peacock of Auburn.

Hollis Newton, one of the oldest pioneers of Placer County, known in Lincoln and vicinity as “Captain,” died at 8:30 Wednesday evening of last week at his home. Those present at the time of death were Mrs. Newton, Mrs. Allen, Mrs. Pomeroy, and Dr. David. Newton was engaged in the farming business nearly all of his life. He was liked by everyone. The deceased is survived by a wife, Mrs. Martha Newton, and six children:  Mrs. W. S. Allen of Lincoln, Mrs. Nettie Fuller, San Francisco; Mrs. F. D. Aldrich, San Francisco; Mrs. L. Parke, San Francisco; Mrs. W. E. Nobell, Juneau, Alaska; Mrs. F. L. Sanders, Lincoln. His death was sudden, although he had several attacks of heart trouble in course of a month. He was 81 years old.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Friday, 12-27-1872

Sudden Death - Christmas Eve about 10 o’clock, Constantine Nicholas, aged about forty years, a native of Greece, who had, in company with five or six other persons, been enjoying himself at the house of George Ballen on Dutch Ravine, complained of feeling unwell and was advised by his companions to lie down for a while. He took their advice, and in less than ten minutes he was a corpse.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 5-14-1930
William Nichols Succumbs in Fall, Breaking his Neck

William Nichols, well-known resident of Roseville, died early yesterday morning from a fall on the back stairs of his home on Vernon Street. He was discovered before daylight, and it is believed he rose during the night to leave the house and missed his footing. His neck was broken in the fall. Funeral services will be held from the Broyer & Magner Chapel at 2 o’clock tomorrow afternoon. Rev. M. W. Coates will conduct the service. Interment will be at Odd Fellows Cemetery. Mr. Nichols was 70 years old, a native of Georgia. He had made his home in Roseville for 23 years. He leaves his widow, Mrs. Matilda Nichols, and four daughters and a son. They are Mrs. Elizabeth Ledbetter of Needles; Mrs. Anna Johnson, Eleanor and Matilda Nichols and Albert Nichols of Roseville. Two sisters and two brothers survive, Mrs. Anna Adams of Oakland, Mrs. Martha Langford of Ione, D. Nichols of Ione, and Jim Nichols of Jackson. Coming to California, Mr. Nichols settled in Amador County and was married to Matilda Lozana in Ione in 1903. He engaged in farming for several years. Since his removal to Roseville 23 years ago, he has been employed principally by the city. During his years of service in this capacity, he earned the respect of all who knew him. He was a great lover of flowers, and his garden was one of the attractions of the city.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 5-16-1930
City’s Pioneers Join in Rites for William Nichols

Several hundred of the older residents of Roseville attended the funeral services of William Nichols, 70, at the Broyer & Magner Chapel yesterday afternoon. The funeral address was given by the Rev. M. W. Coates. Interment was at Odd Fellows Cemetery. Pallbearers were old-time friends of the deceased. They were William Clark, Frank Lewis, H. T. Miller, E. C. Wolfe, J. E. Beckwith, and William Neep. There was a profusion of flowers at the casket, tributes from scores of friends. Mr. Nichols died early Tuesday morning from injuries received in a fall from the back stairs of his home on Vernon Street. He had risen during the night to leave the house and is believed to have missed his footing on the stairs. When he was found, he was dead, his neck broken. Born in Georgia, Mr. Nichols came to California when a child, settling with his parents in Amador County. He moved to Roseville 23 years ago and engaged in farming. For many years, however, he has lived in town, being employed by the city of Roseville.

Roseville Register, Friday, 5-22-1914
Laborer Killed in Yard

While standing on a flat car, M. Nicolussi, an Italian workman, was knocked off and under the wheels by the string of cars being struck by an engine in the Roseville yards Saturday morning. His death was almost instantaneous as his injuries were very serious as, besides being run over, his neck was broken.

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 1-8-1930
Long Suffering of Mrs. R. E. Noble Ends

Private funeral services were held yesterday for Mrs. Norma Noble, wife of Engineer R. E. Noble, who died Saturday after a long illness. The funeral was from the chapel of Broyer & Magner, and interment was in Roseville Cemetery. Besides her husband, the deceased leaves a sister, Mrs. Louise Miller of Maxwell; and two cousins, Mrs. A. H. Miller of Sacramento and William Klewe of Colusa.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 2-15-1917

Mrs. Nellie Fratus Nolan died at her home in this city yesterday at 10 o’clock. The funeral will be held at Red Bluff, Saturday afternoon. She leaves a husband, Matt Nolan, and sister, Mrs. F. B. Rossi, to mourn her death. Deceased was 37 years old and had made many friends in this city during her residence here. We extend to the bereaved the heartfelt sympathy of the community.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 12-17-1892

An old man who has been around Colfax for the last three or four weeks was found dead in his bed at Mrs. Manuel’s Hotel at a late hour on Tuesday morning. He did not come to breakfast and when the beds were being made, the lady thought it was time to knock for the old man to get up. She received no response and thought something was wrong. Upon entering the room, they were horrified to find that the old man was dead. His name was Thomas Norris, and he hailed from Bodie, California. He had two sisters living, one in Bodie and one in Oakland. He had a bankbook that showed he was the possessor of $1109.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 10-13-1877
Killed by a Drunken Indian

A man named John Norton was shot by an Indian about one o’clock yesterday about three-quarters of a mile above the Carlson toll-house and not far from the United States Ranch. The wounded man was brought to town by Mr. Carlson and taken to the hospital. This was about six o’clock in the evening. In answer to inquiries, he stated that he was coming along the road with his blanket on his back when a couple of Indians, with guns in their hands—one tall and the other short—asked him for money. He replied that he had none to give and passed on. But this did not suit their purpose. One of them drew a knife on him, but he eluded the would-be assassin only to fall a victim to the other one who fired, the ball striking him in the back near the lumbar region and coming out in front. He died about an hour after being brought to the hospital. Mr. Carlson was told by another Indian that he (the Indian) knew the two who shot Norton. It is probable, therefore, that they will be arrested, if they have not been already.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 8-17-1916
Novak Killed by Hammer Blows on Head; Assailant Thomas at Large - Brutal Assailant Attacks Mrs. Novak and Uses Hammer on Her - Woman in White Hospital - Thomas Seen at Stockton - Family Trouble at Bottom of Trouble - Coroner’s Jury Verdict Says “Murder”

Jacob Novak was instantly killed and Mrs. Novak was so seriously injured that she is not expected to live by the blows of a hammer held by Walter Thomas, their brother-in-law. From statements made by Mrs. Novak during her conscious periods, it appears that Thomas owed Novak some money and that Novak had caused a garnishee to be issued against the wages of Thomas, who was a switchman in the local yard. This so angered Thomas that he went to the Novak home to see Novak. He found only the woman at home and drew her into an argument, and a quarrel followed during which he hit her on top of the head with a hammer and also one along side the left side of the face near the temple. Mrs. Novak, when pressed as to who killed Jake, said “Jake isn’t dead.” She repeated this several times and finally in answer to the question replied, “My brother-in-law, Walter Thomas.” It is believed that Thomas, having as he believed killed Mrs. Novak instantly, lay in wait for Novak behind the front door and as Novak came in, hit him on top of the head with the same hammer. He then hit Jake repeatedly as the head has a large cut near the crown and several abrasions elsewhere, as well as a hammer blow on the forehead over the left eye. Thomas is reported to have told a yard switchman that he was “going to get Jake Novak.” There has been trouble between the men for some time. Thomas left the scene of his crimes and calmly talked with some switchmen in the yards and then caught the front end of train 221 for Sacramento. The officers at Sacramento were not informed in time to intercept him. Wires were sent down the line as far as San Francisco, but up to today no arrests have been made. The discovery of the crime was made by Mr. and Mrs. Bradway who were passing the place and heard Mrs. Novak groaning. They went in and Novak was found lying near the front door dead, while Mrs. Novak was lying at the foot of the bed in a semi-unconscious state. They called in Dr. Eveleth who did what could be done for the woman, and Deputy Coroner Guy West was sent for and he took charge of the dead man while the woman was sent to the White Hospital in her own machine. Novak came here about five years ago and opened a blacksmith shop and was successful in a business way. Novak lived here with a Mrs. Mary Novak as his wife for years and then suddenly took up with his present wife, whom he actually married, sending the other Mrs. Novak to San Francisco and threatening her with dire vengeance if she raised any disturbance. Although the county officials were told of the case, nothing was ever done to bring the people before the courts of justice. The woman who was injured was a sister to Mrs. Thomas, wife of the man being sought for the crime, and came here about a year ago from Denver. Coroner Colin Hislop held an inquest over the remains of Jacob Novak yesterday forenoon, and the district attorney examined the witnesses called. Dr. Eveleth, the first witness testified as to the wounds on the head of the deceased, stating that he found a blow had been struck on the left side of the head, one on the forehead over the left eye, an opening had been caused by a blunt instrument over the left ear, and one on the crown of the head, any one of which would have been sufficient, in his opinion, to have caused death. The injuries to Mrs. Novak were described by Dr. Eveleth as being a blow on the left temple over the eye and a scalp wound fracturing the skull to the right of the crown of the head. Guy West testified as to the time he last saw Mr. Novak as 6:05, which time he fixed by the fact that his wife called him to dinner and Novak asked him what time it was. This occurred in front of West’s Funeral Parlors. He also testified to the statements made by Mrs. Novak on examination by him saying that she said, in answer to who had injured her, “My brother-in-law, Walter Thomas.” She also said, “He said (meaning Thomas) that he would kill me and wait for Jake and kill him.” She went to the telephone to warn Jake and he hit her. She said, “I was going to telephone Jake and he hit me with a hammer; not my little hammer, but he brought the hammer with him” Constable Hoke testified as to the last time he saw Novak alive as being about 5 o’clock in front of the Barker Hotel. He saw him again at his home, dead, about 6:30. Night Police Officer Moran testified to finding the hammer in a garbage can in the back yard, that the hammer had blood on the handle and the head, and that it was a carpenter’s claw hammer. He also testified that Deputy Sheriff Elmer Gum found hair on the hammer. He further testified as to the statements made by Thomas to different people that he would “get” Jake or Jake would get him. Thomas was seen in the yards by Mr. Jackson of whom he inquired as to the leaving time of train No. 221, and when the train left he swung onto the front end. J. E. Beckwith verified the statements made by Officer Moran, and A. J. Harder testified as to the statement made by Mrs. Novak in answer to Dr. Woodbridge’s examination. Novak’s business is in poor shape. He is reported to have sold his tools to a wholesale house for security for debt and to have borrowed money on his automobile and other property to which he did not possess title. The funeral was held yesterday afternoon, Rev. Thomas Mee officiating at the services.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Wednesday, 2-19-1969

Mrs. Rosina Novi, 72, of 1232 Pahn Avenue, died early today at the Roseville hospital. She is survived by a son, Thomas Novi of Ogden, Utah, and a daughter, Sue DeVries of Roseville. Funeral arrangements are pending at Cochrane’s Chapel of The Roses, 103 Lincoln Street