Obituaries - L

Today is: part of CA GenWeb



Below you will find a complilation of obituaries gathered from various newspapers throughout Placer County. If YOU have an obituary for a Placer County resident and would like to addit to this collection, please contact the county coorinators.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Thursday, 9-11-1980

Ruth White LaForge, born 85 years ago at Eugene, OR, and a Roseville resident since 1977, died Sept. 9 in Roseville. The mother of the late Vern O. Ward, she is survived by a son, Glenn A. Ward of Roseville; a sister, Dollie Mont of Yakama, WA; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Service will be conducted at the Barricks Funeral Home, 205 Church Street, South East Salem, OR, at 1:30 PM, Friday, Sept. 12. The Rev. Frank Haskins of the Friends Church of Salem will officiate. Burial will be in City View Cemetery, Salem. The Lambert Funeral Home was in charge of local arrangements.

Auburn Journal, Thursday, 6-18-1970

Funeral services for Army Spec. 4 Kenneth Howard Lamborn, 20, who was killed in action in South Vietnam June 9, will be conducted at the first Congregational Church in Auburn Saturday at 9:30 AM. The Department of Defense said Lamborn, a 1968 graduate of Placer High School, was mortally wounded when his helicopter was hit by enemy fire after it landed to pick up wounded soldiers. He was a member of the 498th Air Ambulance Medical Company. A native of Pasadena, he resided in Auburn from 1959 until last year when he enlisted in the Army after attending Sierra College. While in high school, he commanded Squadron 84 of the Sons of the American Legion and was a member of the rifle team. Survivors include his wife, Diana M. of Colfax; a daughter, Michelle M., age three months; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Hill W. Lamborn of Auburn; two brothers, Robert C. and Michael J.; two sisters, the Misses Sheryl and Patti K. Lamborn; and his maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. H. Nilsen of Roseville. Burial will be in the veterans’ section of the Old Auburn District Cemetery. The family asked that memorial contributions be made to a law enforcement scholarship fund at Placer High School. The may be deposited at Schumacher’s Colonial Chapel which is in charge of arrangements.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 6-19-1929
James S. Landis, Early Pioneer, Laid to Rest

Members of the Odd Fellows, to which the late James S. Landis had belonged for 62 years, officiated Sunday at his funeral services at the Lincoln Odd Fellows Hall. He died Saturday at the home in Lincoln where he had lived for 30 years. Landis was born in Ohio 83 years ago. As a child of 6, he came across the plains by ox team with his parents in 1852. They settled near Marysville. The greatest part of his life was spent in mining in Trinity, Yuba, Calaveras, Placer, and Nevada counties. With his wife, Mrs. Bertha C. Landis, librarian of the Lincoln Public Library, he celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary four years ago. Besides his wife, he leaves a daughter, Mrs. William Phillips, Jr. of Alameda, and a son, J. W. Landis, Diamond Springs merchant. He was an uncle of Judge J. B. Landis, Auburn; Charles H. Landis, Klamath Falls, Oregon; Miss Mila Landis of Sacramento; and Mrs. Lura Fratt, Petaluma. A brother, John Landis, preceded him in death two years ago.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 10-2-1929
Penryn Resident Buried

Funeral services for N. B. Lardner, pioneer resident of the Penryn district, were held from the Colin Hislop parlors in Auburn. Burial was made in the Newcastle Cemetery. Lardner died at his home in Penryn last Friday after a lengthy illness. He had spent the greater part of his life in the Penryn district. Surviving are his daughter, Edith Owen, and a son, Edward Lardner, both of Penryn. He was the brother of the late W. B. Lardner.

Newcastle News, Wednesday, 9-26-1917
Three Men Killed in Explosion at Clipper Gap Powder Works Tuesday

An explosion occurred at the Clipper Gap Powder Company’s works at Clipper Gap last Tuesday forenoon. As a result, three men were killed. It happened in the press room, and Joe Cihowski was practically cremated, while Frank Pasinetti and Domingo Larrerte died from their burns. After the explosion, the building collapsed and took fire, and the workmen were unable to rescue the body of Cihowski. Pasinetti and Larrerte were removed but succumbed from their burns in a short time. All the men were single, and although Cihowski and Pasinetti were old-time powder workers, they had been at Clipper Gap but about ten days. Larrarte had been there about a month. Cihowski was a native of Poland, aged 33; Pasinetti, a native of Italy, aged 29; and Larrarte of Spanish descent, a native of California, aged 37. Coroner C. B. Hislop held an inquest Thursday, and as the men were all dead, it could not be ascertained what really caused the accident. Foreman Charles L. Groves testified that he was in the press room three or four minutes before the accident happened. He said everything seemed to be in perfect condition. There was 2800 pounds of black powder in the mill. Nothing but black powder is manufactured. Superintendent H. D. Winters could throw no light on what was the cause of the accident. The jury brought in the following verdict:  “That the men came to their death from burns received by an explosion of powder in the press mill at Clipper Gap, California, September 1917; and we further find that said explosion was purely accidental, and that the management of the works are in no way to blame. Signed W. A. Shepard, Arthur Hallborn, L. G. Perkins, W. E. Larson, H. L. Bailey, U. Sarti, A. Cortopassi, L. F. Bradbury, J. C. Campbell, L. H. Joninon, Cornelius Lucy.” The funeral was held Thursday afternoon, Rev. Father Gavin conducting the services. Interment in the IOOF Cemetery, Auburn. The employees of the works attended in a body, and the company paid all expenses.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Wednesday, 2-19-1969

Diane Lee Larsen, eight-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Mervil Larsen of rural Newcastle, died Feb. 18 in a Sacramento hospital. She was a student in the Newcastle School and a member of the Sunday Scholl of the First Baptist Church of Orangevale. In addition to her parents, she is survived by six sisters, Violet, Nancy, Judy, Annette, Mary, and Sherry; a grandmother, Lillian Larsen; and an uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Ellis. Funeral services will be tomorrow at 9 AM in Mt. Vernon Church of the Valley, 8201 Greenback Lane. Burial will be in Mt. Vernon Cemetery.

Roseville Register, Friday, 5-9-1913
Man Suicides at Rocklin - Finnish Quarryman Blows Himself up after a Protracted Spree

Coroner Bisbee of Auburn held an inquest over the body of Joasep Laskuneimi in Rocklin Saturday. He was a heavy drinker and had been missing since the 29th. His partner Herman Ktonen at last became very much worried and started a search for him. He and a friend were looking for him about 7 PM Friday evening back of the cemetery and ran across his body lying beneath a tree with the left arm blown off, the left wrist badly shattered, and a large wound in the left chest. Late Tuesday evening, the explosion occurred and was heard by several people, but nothing was thought of it until the deceased body was found. It was evident from the nature of the wounds and the position the body was in that death had resulted from the explosion of dynamite held in the left hand close to the chest. The deceased was a quarryman and had been working in the Kesti quarry with his partner. He had been drinking heavily Saturday and Sunday and did not work Monday. He worked all day Tuesday, however, and was last seen at the Grand Southern Hotel. He seemed to be in good spirits, and his friends do not think he was contemplating suicide. He was a native of Finland and aged 28 years, had been in this country for 6 years. He left behind a wife and two children and a sister. The Coroner’s jury verdict was that he came to his death “by the explosion of powder held in the left hand either accidental or suicidal, and we are not able to determine which.”

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 11-6-1929
Miss Lasswell of Lincoln Summoned

Miss Viola Lasswell of Lincoln, well-known in Roseville, passed away Sunday in Sacramento where she has been employed as a teacher. Last year the deceased, who at that time held the office of district deputy of the Native Daughters of the Golden West, installed the Roseville officers. She was also well known in the Rebekah Lodge here. Less that a year ago, she lost her mother. She is survived by her father, Samuel Lasswell, and a brother of Lincoln.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 2-17-1916
Passes to her Reward

Mrs. Mary Effie Lathrop passed away at 6:30 PM last Friday evening at the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. A. Booth, after a lingering illness of over two months. She was born at Mokelumne Hill, Calaveras County, November 27, 1852, and was at the time of her death aged 63 years, two months and four days. Besides her daughter, she leaves a sister, a brother, and several grandchildren to mourn her death. Mrs. Lathrop was a kindly woman of keen intellect and alertness, and she was much sought after for advice by younger women. Her kindly spirit and pleasant manners made her many friends, and her death is sincerely felt by a large circle of intimate friends. The funeral was held Sunday at 2:30 from the Presbyterian Church, and interment was had in the IOOF Cemetery. A large concourse of people attended the funeral and followed the remains to the cemetery.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 7-26-1917

Mrs. Margaret Lawler passed away July 19 when she had reached an age where the shadows of the approaching angles fall across the path. The funeral was held Monday from St. Rose Catholic Church, of which she had been a member for many years. Interment was had in St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Sacramento, in the midst of friends who have gone before. The funeral was largely attended, and the floral offerings were very beautiful, appropriate, and showed in what high esteem she was held by all who knew her. Many relatives and friends are bereaved. Her death took from among us a lovable woman, one who was always kind and considerate, and she will be missed by all who knew her.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 10-24-1928
Five-Year-Old Rocklin Boy Dies After a Day’s Illness

Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, October 23, at 3 o’clock for little Talmage White Lawson, who passed away Sunday evening at 8 o’clock after but a day’s illness. The services were held at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene E. Lawson, in Rocklin and were under the auspices of the Church of Latter Day Saints. President Lorenzo Roskelly was in charge, and addresses were made by Sacramento missionaries of the church. Musical selections were given by Lorenzo Roskelly and Mrs. Clara Vanderhoff who rendered a vocal duet; by Miss Doris Kelley and Mrs. S. D. Sandusky who were vocal soloists, and by little Marjory Goddard and Francis McCann who gave a vocal duet. Miss Ethel McCann was the piano accompanist for all the numbers. Burial was in the Rocklin Cemetery. The boy was taken suddenly ill Sunday morning with bowel trouble, supposed to have been caused from his eating some green fruit. He was five years and eight months of age and was born in Sacramento County.

Roseville Tribune, Tuesday, 10-22-1918
Mrs. E. M. Layton

Mrs. E. M. Layton, of this city, died last evening of Spanish influenza at the family home in Cherry Glen.

Roseville Tribune, Friday, 11-01-1918
Clara Margaret Layton

Clara Margaret Layton, was born January 23, 18[8]7, at Cool, in El Dorado county, California, where her happy girlhood days were spent. She was the idol of the home, her brothers always taking her into their secrets as well as their play. So great was her attachments, that she was never away from the family fireside until she had attained young womanhood. She then moved with her parents to Rocklin, California, where she was on December 10, 1907, united in marriage with Mr. Edwin Layton. Her husband being in the employ of the Southern Pacific. They took up their residence in Roseville which had since been her home. Here she became greatly attached to the expanding community of which she had always been closely identified. Her gracious manner, her loving sympathy and her natural ability merited the confidence and esteem of all who knew her. She was ever mindful of others and counted it among her highest joys to share another's load. Her self-sacrificing spirit was better known to her own loved ones who saw and felt how deeply she loved and sympathised. Though she had not been enjoying good health of late, it was greatly impaired by the death of her brother, Milton Lovejoy who preceded her by two weeks. So strong had been their attachment through life that their joys and sorrows, their pleasures and pain were mutual.   Though she dearly loved her own home, the memories of childhood came so vividly and fresh to her mind that she longed to once more be transported there. Her place seemed more like that of a sister than a daughter. So real became the life, and messengers invisible that she felt God was near to receive her unto Himself.   Her transition occured October 22, 1918, when surrounded by loved ones, she bade farewell to earth with its fleeting shadows and joinded the ever increasing company of the city whose Builder and Maker is God.   She was a beloved member of the Roseville Chapter of Eastern Star and of the Ladies Auxilary of Engineers in each of which she had taken an active part.   Besides a grief stricken husband, Edwin L. Layton and two children, Edwin L. Jr., and Pearl Layton, she leaves a heart broken father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Thatcher Lovejoy and one brother, Leslie L. Lovejoy all of Roseville, together with many warm friends through Placer county and El Dorado County.   A daughter beloved, a devoted wife, a cherished sister, a loving mother and an honored, useful citizen has answered the certain summons that waits us all. As we bow in humble submission to Him who rules and governs all may we be likewise prepared.   Funeral services were held from the parlors of Guy West, under the auspices of the Eastern Star, Rev. T. H. Mee, officiating. Many beautiful floral pieces covered the casket. Interment was in the Odd Fellows' cemetery.

Sacramento Union, 08-12-1914
Placer Pioneer Summoned.

Rocklin (Placer Co.), Aug. 11 - L.M. Layton, who had lived in Placer county fifty-eight years, died at the family home this morning at the age of 78 years. He came from New York to California with his three brothers in 1856. He is the last of the four brothers to pass away. He leaves seven sons, Edward, Garrett, William, Charles, Richard, Leonard and Alfred, all of this county, and three daughters, Mrs. Richard Colwell of Roseville, Placer county; Mrs. N.P. Schmidt of Sacramento and Miss Elizabeth Layton of Rocklin.

Placer Tribune and Register, Friday, 1-31-1930
Mrs. Katherine Leahy Is Buried at Rocklin

The death of Mrs. Katherine Leahy occurred at Weimar, January 18. Funeral services were held January 21 at the Catholic Church in Rocklin, and interment was in the Rocklin Cemetery. Deceased was born in Loomis and had spent her entire life there. She was the wife of Thomas Leahy; mother of Andrew, Anna, Margaret, and Thomas Leahy; and sister of Andrew, John, and James Hoy.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 9-20-1917
Died at Rocklin

Mrs. M. Leahy, aged 84, died Saturday after a short illness. The funeral services were held Tuesday, and Rev. Fr. McNaboe of St. Rose Catholic Church officiated. The body was laid to rest in the cemetery at Rocklin, and the funeral was largely attended by friends and relatives. The deceased had lived at Rocklin for the past 40 years, and all of the pioneers were well acquainted with her.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 12-29-1910
Death of a Good Penryn Citizen

James Henry Leak died at Penryn at 2:30 o’clock last Saturday morning. He was a popular resident of this county the greater part of his life, although he was born in Sacramento and spent several years as guard in the penitentiaries of the state, being one of those taking part in the pursuit of the desperadoes who escaped from the Folsom Prison several years ago. He was 49 years old and is survived by his wife, two sons, one daughter, and several brothers and sisters, some living in Sacramento. He was a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. The funeral was held in Penryn Monday afternoon. Roseville residents will best remember Mr. Leak as being connected with the assessor’s office the past three or four years. He was a field deputy under Assessor Mitchell and was a familiar figure here for several months in the year. He had many friends in Roseville who will be sorry to hear of his death, and the Register joins with many in extending sympathy to his bereaved family.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 9-25-1929
L. L. Leavell, Native of Lincoln, Passes

Louis Lycurgus Leavell, aged 52, who died at his home at Lincoln Thursday, was born and reared near Lincoln where his early boyhood was spent. In 1900 he was married to Miss Etta Fuller, and they made their home in Lincoln until 1908, when they moved to Nicolaus and he conducted a butcher business until 1910 when he again came to Lincoln where he had since resided and owned his own shop since 1924. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Etta Leavell, and seven children:  Gladys, Arthur, Richard, Kathryn, Thomas, Loren, and Martha Leavell; a mother, Mrs. Martha Finney of Concord; a half-brother, John Finney of Oakland; a half-sister, Mrs. Nora Fosket of Concord; the late Arthur Leavell; and one step-brother, C. E. Finney of Lincoln.

LEE, EDGAR "Friday"
Roseville Register, Friday, 12-20-1918
Edgar Lee Dies, a Victim of the Dread Influenza

Edgar Lee, probably better known by the popular nickname of "Friday", died last Friday at the Auburn hospital, a victim of the Spanish influenza. He had been ill but a very short time and was taken to the hospital when he first contracted the disease. He had been a resident of this city for the past four years. His parents live at Oakland to which place the remains were shipped for interment. He was a man of retiring disposition, saying little and having but a small acquaintance, yet his friends were true blue, as such, and he was of the nature to make only few, but those few were good friends.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 10-21-1915

John A. Lee of Rocklin passed to his reward at 4:10 AM Wednesday morning. He had been to the Exposition a short while back and on Tuesday visited at the home of his daughter in Roseville, Mrs. Guy West. Tuesday evening, Mr. West took him to Rocklin in a car, apparently in the best of health. At six o’clock, he had a paralytic stroke and soon after he lapsed into unconsciousness, passing away early next morning without again recovering consciousness. John A. Lee was a native of Indiana, coming to California 40 years ago and locating at Rocklin 38 years ago.  Having made that city his home ever since, he has a circle of friends throughout the northern part of the state. He had arrived at the age of 75 years and was the oldest pensioner of the S. P. Company. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the funeral services were in charge of that fraternity. The funeral services will be held from his late residence in Rocklin Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Interment will be in the IOOF Cemetery at Rocklin. He leaves to mourn his death a devoted wife, a son, J. G. Lee, and a daughter, Mrs. Guy West, both of Roseville. A large circle of friends and a great many of them among the railroad men will mourn the death of this splendid old patriarch. He will be missed from the lodge room and from the consultations carried on by his friends.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-5-1911
Sudden Death of Young Fireman

Last Thursday Bert N. Leeper died in the railroad hospital at Sacramento on the operating table. The young man was in Auburn with Mr. Wilson, organizer of the Owls, and drank an oyster cocktail and soon after felt severe pains, and it was thought he had ptomaine poisoning. He was rushed to the railroad hospital at once where an examination was made, and it was found that he was suffering with intestinal trouble and an operation was deemed necessary, from which he never recovered. The trouble was of long standing and his case was serious. The remains were taken to W. F. Gormley’s undertaking parlors and embalmed and shipped to Roseville, and on Sunday afternoon funeral ceremonies were held from the residence of Jas. Kelnhofer on Vernon Street. The Rev. Jackson, assisted by a quartet from the M. E. choir, conducted the services at the house, and the funeral services of the Order of Owls were held at the grave in the IOOF Cemetery. Colin Histop of Rocklin had charge of the interment. There were many beautiful floral offerings from the B. of L. F. & E. and Order of Owls, under the auspices of which orders the funeral was conducted. The following were the pall bearers:  From the firemen, W. Bohn, H. Sandrock and C. Dyer; from the Owls, Geo. Butler, S. Clark and J. L. Greer. Mr. and Mrs. Livingston and son of Auburn, the Holmes brothers of Lincoln, and Miss Chase and Mr. and Mrs. Wilcoxon of Auburn attended the funeral. The Leeper brothers expressed their sincere thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Kelnhofer who threw open their house for the funeral services and did all in their power to show their sympathy and sorrow in this sad affliction. A large gathering was in attendance and expressed much sorrow over the sudden taking off of this young man in the prime of life. Bert N. Leeper was a native of Missouri and was 23 years of age at the time of his death. He resided here with the Holmes family, except the past eight months when he has been rooming at the Kelnhofer home. He has been a locomotive fireman for the past three years and was well liked by his fellow railroad men. He took quite an active interest in helping organize the nest of Owls in this city and was in this work when death overtook him. He leaves two brothers, Thomas Leeper, an attorney in Sacramento, and William Leeper, employed in a grocery store in Auburn. The Register is in sympathy with a host of others and extends regret to the bereaved brothers.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 10-21-1927

On June 20, 1843, in Whiteport, New York, Mary Lehman was born and continued to reside in her native state until October 12, 1919, when she came to California, making her home for the most part with her daughter, Mrs. Edward Post of 127 Clinton Avenue, Roseville, Placer County. Of Holland ancestry, she early learned the lessons of thrift, economy and neighborly attention, with a large capacity for acquiring and retaining lasting friendships. In this she added much to the happiness of many homes where her kindly manner proved an evening benediction. Always interested in public affairs, she gave a full measure of time to informing herself and in alleviating the suffering of those who might need her helping hand. These rarer qualities were sanctified by an early dedication of her life to Christian service, having united in childhood with the Dutch Reformed Church, and later in moving to another locality with the Methodist Episcopal Church. In establishing a home of her own, she continued to enthrone the ideals of reverence and devotion as the basis of truehearted service and ability contentment. From the Bible she derived much comfort as she followed its message to the close of a long and useful life. Especially during the past two years of failing health, she enlisted the help that comes from a knowledge of the things that are eternal. Without a murmur or fear, she peacefully entered the sweet sleep that awaits the resurrection morning. In her passing, she leaves a host of friends in the communities where she had lived, with the following loved ones remaining to bless her precious memory:  three daughters and one son, Mrs. Mame Robbins, Kingston, New York; Mrs. Katharine O’Connor, Mt. Vernon, New York; Mrs. Edward Post, Roseville; and Charles Estemar, Roseville; nine grandchildren; and ten great-grandchildren. The funeral services were held at the funeral home of Broyer & Magner, Rev. Thomas H. Mee, pastor of the First Methodist Church officiating. The pall bearers were W. M. Seton, C. W. Pierce, J. Wolf, D. Graham, G. W. Ross, and W. L. Smith. A wealth of choice floral offerings offered an impressive token of the love and esteem in which the deceased was held. The mortal remains will rest in the beautiful mausoleum of East Lawn in Sacramento where the final rites were performed.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 5-28-1930
Heart Attack Fatal to Eric Lehtola, 59

Death claimed another Rocklin pioneer Monday afternoon in Eric Lehtola, 59, who had lived in that community for 33 years. Mr. Lehtola had been a sufferer from heart failure and was sick but a few days before his death. Funeral services will be held at the Finnish Hall, Rocklin, tomorrow at 2 o’clock. The body will be interred at Rocklin Cemetery. Mr. Lehtola was a native of Finland. He leaves his widow, Hilma Lehtola; a daughter, Mrs. Sigrid Tuomi of Portland; two sons, Emil and Edward Lehtola of Roseville; and two grandchildren, Ivy Tuomi and Donald Lehtola.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 5-30-1930
Rocklin Youth Is Killed as Auto Upsets on Chest

Uno Lekola, employed in the stores department of the Pacific Fruit Express at Roseville, and son of a well-known Rocklin family, was killed Tuesday night when crushed beneath a small car in which he was riding. The accident occurred shortly after 11 o’clock as Lekola and Benjamin Ruhkala, also of Rocklin, were returning from a charivari party at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Norman Quinn of Loomis. On a sharp turn about two miles east of Rocklin, Ruhkala, who was driving, was unable to keep the road, and the car turned over, pinning Lekola beneath it and crushing his chest. He died shortly after being extricated. Lekola is the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Lekola of Rocklin. He leaves his twin brother Oliver and a younger brother William of Chico. William formerly was employed at the Roseville Branch Bank of Italy. Uno Lekola was born at Rocklin and was graduated from the Roseville High School in 1927. He has been employed at the PFE for the last two years.

[Submitter’s note:  Lekola was spelled as Liikola throughout the obituary; however, Lekola is the correct spelling per death indexes.]

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-25-1917

Joseph A. LeMay departed this life January 19 after having been a sufferer from a paralytic stroke for years. A man who made friends by the number of acquaintances he had, he will be missed because of his smiling countenance. Although he suffered untold agonies, he never complained. His was a life of patient suffering. The funeral was held at the West parlors Sunday, and interment was had in the City Cemetery at Sacramento. He leaves to mourn his death a devoted wife and many relatives. He was a member of the O.R.C., having been a conductor previous to his misfortune. He was a native of Canada and had made his home in the west for many years. He had reached the age of 59 years, and death came as a relief after years of suffering. His friends were legion and these we join in extending to the bereaved our heartfelt sympathy.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 8-17-1927
Mrs. Tom Lenzi Passed Away Here Monday Morning – Funeral Services This Afternoon at 2:30 From St. Rose’s Catholic Church – Survived by Ten Children

The death of Mrs. Cesiro Lenzi, wife of Tom Lenzi, occurred at her home at 705 Main Street, Monday morning, August 15, 1927, after a short illness. She was a native of Italy and had resided in Roseville for 17 years. She was united in marriage with Tom Lenzi at the age of fourteen years after coming to this country and was 36 years of age at the time of her death. Besides her bereaved husband, she is survived by ten children, ranging in ages from 16 years, the oldest a girl, to a baby boy five months of age. An infant son passed away in June this year. Funeral services will be held this (Wednesday) afternoon at 2:30 o’clock from St. Rose’s Catholic Church. Interment will be in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 4-21-1877
Death of a Pioneer

Last Thursday, April 19th, Samuel Leonard, a native of Pennsylvania, aged 66 years, was found dead at Pino. Coroner Swett was notified and went down and held an inquest on the remains, the finding of the jury being that death resulted from old age and general debility. Deceased was an early settler in this county, having resided at and near Pino for about 28 years. In early days he was engaged in mining, after which he, in company with one or two others, kept a public house on the overland stage route known as the Indian Valley House about two miles from Pine Grove, a place now extinct. At times he also worked at his trade, which was that of a carpenter. After a few years he retired and has been living a quiet and inactive life ever since. He has been in failing health for several years past. He was well known and leaves many friends. It is said that his only relative living is a sister residing in Oregon.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Thursday, 5-23-1985
Florence Mary Leveille, Dec. 19, 1892 – May 18, 1985

A service for Florence Mary Leveille, 92, will be held at 10 AM Tuesday at St. Mary’s Cemetery, 6700 21st Ave., Sacramento. Interment will follow. The Michigan native died Saturday in Carmichael. Mrs. Leveille had been a resident of Roseville for 10 years before moving to Sacramento in 1976. Mrs. Leveille had worked 15 years as a cook and housekeeper for St. Peter’s Convent in Sacramento. Visitation for friends will be held today through Saturday at 6 PM at Lambert Funeral Home, 400 Douglas Blvd., Roseville. Surviving are a daughter, Marie Evans of Minnesota; a sister, Julia Tarcisian of Missouri; a grandson, John Memec of Carmichael; two nephews, Earl and Clarence Bohm, both of Roseville; two nieces, Marian Wollam of Grass Valley and Helen Ragasa of Illinois; two great-nieces, Judy Willeford of Roseville and Diane Guerrero of Carmichael; a great-nephew, Gary Lenzi of Auburn; seven grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren.

Auburn Journal, Thursday, 6-7-1945
Mrs. Jane Lewis Dies

Mrs. Jane Lewis, estimates of whose age run from 93 years to 109 years, died Monday at the Placer County Hospital where she has been a patient since August 28, 1944. Funeral services will be held Friday at 2:30 PM at the West and Hite Chapel in Auburn. Burial will be in the Auburn Indian Cemetery. Records of the county welfare department show Mrs. Lewis to be 93 years of age and that she was born May 21, 1852, near Folsom. County hospital records give her age as 106 years. Colin M. Hislop, who has known her for more than 30 years, says she was reputed to be 109 years of age in 1944. Coroner Francis E. West of Placer County says Indians have told him Mrs. Lewis, as a little girl, lived during the tragic winter when the Donner party was trapped near Truckee. Her husband, Tom Lewis, is reputed to have died about 25 years ago.
[Submitter’s note:  The CDI has her year of birth as 1830 and 115 years old. The 1900 census has her birth date as November 1854. The 1910 census has her age as 70, making her born in 1840.]

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 2-3-1877
Little Girl Burned to Death

Tuesday evening last, Jenny, aged three years and six months, daughter of Samuel Lewis, was burned to death at the residence of her parents, West Main Street. The little girl and the baby were left in the house for a few minutes by their mother, who went to visit a next door neighbor. When the mother went out, little Jenny was playing with two envelopes, and it is supposed that she lighted one at the fire in the stove and thus set fire to her clothing. Her mother heard the scream of the little one and ran to her assistance. The child was found drawn up in a chair with her clothing almost entirely burnt off. She was able to articulate “Oh, Mamma!” and soon became insensible, dying in a short time afterwards. Dr. Jones was called but found the little sufferer beyond the reach of medical skill. Her skin was so burned that it stripped off from her body, and only the feet were found to be untouched by fire.

Roseville Register, Saturday, 3-7-1908

The angel of death called at the home of M. F. Lewis last Friday morning about 7 o’clock and took from him his loving wife. The immediate cause of her death was heart failure brought on by pneumonia. This community was greatly shocked by her death as she has resided here for a great many years and was much esteemed and respected by all who knew her. Mattie A. Lewis, wife of M. F. Lewis, was born in Fremont County, Iowa, March 31st, 1858. Died February 28th, 1908, aged 49 years, 10 months and 27 days. By her death, she leaves a husband and four children:  Harry R.; Mrs. Pearl Shellhouse, Frank and Clarence; besides an aged father and one sister, Mrs. Clara Dabney, who resides in Iowa, and one sister, Mrs. Mary Hording, who resides in Nebraska. The funeral services were conducted from the family residence last Sunday afternoon, and Rev. Colin Anderson spoke words of comfort to the bereaved ones. A large concourse followed the remains to the interment in the IOOF Cemetery. The editor of the Register extends his heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved family who have lost a loving mother and a faithful wife. She will be missed from this community.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 12-7-1916
Alta Pioneer Dead - Mrs. Kate Linn Passes Away at Age 81; Burial at Dutch Flat

ALTA, December 5 - Mrs. Kate M. Linn, a well-known resident of this place and widow of the late J. B. Linn, is dead at her home here at age 81 years. She was a native of Ohio. Surviving are two sons, John A. Linn of Fair Oaks and William D. Linn of Alta, and one daughter, Mrs. Charles Decker, also of Alta.

Sacramento Union, T01-01-1920

In Auburn, Placer Co., December 20, 1919, W.E. Linn, formerly of Dutch Flat, Placer county, husband of Mrs. W.E. Linn, father of Mrs. Raymond Catching, aged 70 years.

Roseville Tribune, Tuesday, 10-22-1918
Art Linnel Victim of Dread Epidemic – Former Popular Garage Man Succumbs to Spanish Influenza at Camp McDowell Few Days After Entering Camp

Word was received here today of the death of Arthur Linnell at Camp McDowell. He died yesterday, and his body is being shipped to Sacramento where funeral services will be held over the remains tomorrow. Art Linnell was the son of Mr. and Mrs. F. E. Linnell, brother of Merle Linnell, and the late Lloyd Linnell, all well-known former residents of this city. The Linnells were one of the pioneer families of Roseville and only recently moved to Marysville. The deceased, with Miss Linnell, operated the Ford garage at this place until the first of last month when they sold to the recent owners so that Art might join the colors. Art was a genial, whole-souled young fellow, beloved by all who knew him, and his early demise will be a shock to his many friends as well as the bereaved parents.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 2-28-1918
Lloyd Linnell Called by Death

Lloyd Earl Linnell heeded the call of the Death Angels on Washington’s birthday, and his remains now repose in East Law Cemetery, though the memory of his youth and his manhood will remain ever with his friends and family. Lloyd Earl Linnell was born in Minnesota and was only 31 years of age when called away to join his kindred dust. Those of us who knew him, knew a young man whose every word and deed was from his heart and an effort to do something for someone else. Selfishness had no room in his makeup, and he did for others that which he oft neglected to do for himself. He was kind and careful of the welfare of his friends and relatives, caring but little at what price he did others a favor, and it was this that brought him so many friends. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Linnell, and the brother of Miss Merle and Art Linnell, whose loss is almost insurmountable and whose greatest consolation must be that he who has gone away was the friend of man. Men who knew Lloyd Linnell stood with tears in their eyes when they heard of his death; tears because they had lost a friend whom they had learned to love.

Roseville Tribune and Enterprise, Wednesday, 6-8-1927
Joseph Littlejohn Dies Here Friday at the Age of 59 Years – Native of Illinois – Funeral Services Held Monday with Interment in IOOF Cemetery

Joseph Littlejohn passed from this life at the family residence in Roseville on Friday, June 3, 1927, at the age of 59 years and 5 months after an illness of several months duration. He was a native of Illinois. Surviving him are his wife, three daughters, Mrs. J. W. Graybeal of Nucla, Colorado; Mrs. M. McCallen of Roseville; and Mrs. R. P. Clarey of Huntington Beach; six sons, E. F. Littlejohn of Garden Grove, California; Leroy Littlejohn of Kansas City, Missouri; Harry Littlejohn of Springvale, Arizona; O. L. Littlejohn of Palisades, Colorado; and Joseph and Layton Littlejohn of Roseville. He also leaves two sisters, Mrs. A. P. Vanderbeer of Huntington Beach and Mrs. George Witt of Los Angeles; and one brother, C. E. Littlejohn of Kansas City, MO. All of the children except one son, Harry, and one daughter, Mrs. Graybeal, were here to attend the funeral as was the brother from Kansas City. Funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at 3 o’clock in the chapel of Broyer & Magner. Rev. M. E. Coen, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church conducted the services, and the Christian Endeavor Choir sang. Interment was in the Roseville IOOF Cemetery. The casket bearers were Earl Dunkeson, A. B. Gale, C. U. Clemons, Francis Astill, F. A. Baker, and Louis Baker.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Monday, 1-12-1970
Roseville Pioneer Walking on Freeway Killed by Automobile

Louis Victor Livoti, who developed what is known today as the Livoti Tract, was killed Friday evening while walking in the eastbound lanes of Interstate 80 freeway. According to the California Highway Patrol, Livoti was in the middle of the first and second lanes when he was unavoidably struck by a car driven by Marilyn Wentworth of Atherton. He died at the age of 79 years. A brother of the late Charles Livoti, he was associated with the former Charles Livoti Olive Oil Co. of Roseville which was started in 1925. He retired from the industry in 1946. Livoti was a native of Messina, Italy, and came to Roseville in 1928. He lived at 202 Orlando Ave., which is part of the tract he developed off Interstate 80 at the Sacramento-Placer County line. Among his survivors are his widow, Frances; a brother, Joe; and sister, Mrs. Grace Bernardini, all of Roseville. During World War II, he was the supervisor of the Roseville Observation Post of the Ground Observer Corps. As an Army veteran of WWI, he was a member of the Alyn W. Butler Post 169 of the American Legion.

Friends may call at Cochrane’s Chapel of the Roses, 103 Lincoln St., until 9:30 AM Wednesday. Requiem Mass will be offered at St. Rose Catholic Church on Vine Ave. at 10 AM Wednesday with the Rev. Father James J. Corcoran officiating. A place of burial has not yet been announced.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 7-27-1916
Angel of Death Calls Worthy Woman

Mrs. Lulu Grace Lockerman died very suddenly Saturday morning. She and her husband had just finished their breakfast, and he was going out on a run. He had just asked her if she desired to sprinkle the lawn, and receiving no reply he turned and saw that something was wrong with Mrs. Lockerman. She fell into his arms as he went to her, and just before falling into unconsciousness, she told her husband and mother that she was all right and for them not to worry about her. She passed to the great beyond in less than 45 minutes. She had not been complaining of her health and presumably was well. Death was caused by a hemorrhage of the brain, the bursting of a blood vessel. She was born at Chico and was only 39 years and 32 days old at her death. She leaves to mourn her sudden death a devoted husband, L. L. Lockerman, and her mother, Mrs. Mary Hamilton, and a large circle of friends. The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian Church Monday at 10:00 AM, and the body was taken to Chico for interment in the family lot. Funeral services were also conducted at Chico. The entire community extends its sympathy to the bereaved.

Roseville Tribune and Enterprise, Wednesday, 6-22-1927
Many Friends Pay Tribute to Memory of Much Loved Woman When Last Rites Are Held Here Last Friday for Mrs. L. L. Lockerman

Funeral services for Mrs. L. L. Lockerman were held at the chapel of Broyer & Magner last Friday afternoon. Rev. M. E. Coen, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, was the officiating clergyman, and Mrs. B. C. Knapp sang. Interment was in the Sylvan Cemetery. Mrs. Lockerman, with her husband, conducted the Hotel LeRoy on Vernon Street. She has long been held in high esteem in Roseville by all who knew her. In her capacity of hostess at the hotel, she was loved as mother by her “boys” who were guests there. A beautiful and touching example of the love and devotion of these “boys” found expression in the lovely floral tribute which they offered, one of the largest and most beautiful seen at a funeral in Roseville in many years. The casket bearers were six of “her boys” – Ray Techter, Jack Hansen, Pete Hansen, F. E. Harmon, Robert Bohan, and F. A. Taylor. Six others, H. B. Chapman, Eugene Sullivan, Curtis L. Conn, E. O. Minton, Dr. L. Barusch, and H. P. McGuire, acting as honorary pallbearers. Mrs. Lockerman is survived by her husband; three sons, A. S. Smith of Oakland; L. L. Smith of San Francisco; and Ensign Russell Smith of the United States Navy; and her mother, Mrs. Louis Schofield of Roseville. The two sons from the bay district were here to attend the funeral, but Russell was with his ship enroute through the Panama Canal and could not be reached in time to be here.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 1-2-1914
Another Pioneer Gone

The death of David H. Long marks the passing of another Placer County pioneer. David H. Long was a native of Indiana, and at the time of his death was 83 years of age. He was a resident of western Placer County for over thirty-two years. He passed from this world’s cares and troubles at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Nettie Wanack, Thermalito, Butte County, on the morning of December 24th. He was laid to his final rest in the IOOF Cemetery at Sheridan last Friday afternoon. Mr. Long leaves, besides the above mentioned daughter, one son, William H. Long of Redlands, CA, a number of grandchildren, and some distant relatives. The deceased came to Placer County about the year 1852 and, until about 1884, was prominently identified with the county’s interests. In the early days, he was associated with Mr. Daniel Click in mining and farming. Later he engaged in farming on his own account near Sheridan. He served one term as a supervisor of this county in the early ‘70s, besides holding minor offices, all of which he filled with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. In 1884 he removed to Burnett, Texas, where he engaged in the sheep business. He served one term as postmaster of Burnett. The deceased was a man of more than ordinary ability, of strict integrity, a royal neighbor, and a staunch friend – “a friend in need and a friend indeed” – and is deserving of a future reward in all that term implies.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 6-14-1879
Death of an Estimable Lady - Referring to the death of Mrs. R. A. Longstreet, mentioned in these columns last week, the Healdsburg Enterprise says: The painful intelligence was received in Healdsburg last Monday of the death at Sacramento of Mrs. Longstreet. The remains were brought to Healdsburg Monday evening; on Tuesday they were interred at Oak Mound Cemetery. The maiden name of deceased was Elizabeth J. Rickman; she was the daughter of D. H. Rickman, who resides near Healdsburg. She was born in Tennessee and crossed the plains to California in 1868. In 1856 she was married near Healdsburg to Joseph Brown, by whom she had four sons and one daughter. Mr. Brown died in 1863, and nine years later the widow married R. A. Longstreet; they moved from Healdsburg to Blue Canon, Placer County, six years ago and had one child, a son. Mrs. Longstreet had always enjoyed fair health up to about three months ago when she began to complain, her ailment being quick consumption. On Sunday, June 1st, after being under the care of physicians in Sacramento and confined to her bed for only twelve days, she died, surrounded by her husband and children. Two of her sons were in Arizona, and she was anxiously waiting to see them for the last time. They did not arrive on the train that was expected to bear them, and the mother, then on the threshold of death’s portal, said she would live till they came. Twelve hours later, they were at her bedside; she bade them and all her loving children and her devoted husband a final farewell and calmly passed away. She had many friends wherever she was known who will mourn the loss of one so worthy of the highest regard.

Auburn, Placer Herald, Saturday, 09-04-1915
Death of Mrs. Lovejoy

Mrs. Amanda B. Lovejoy of Rocklin died in Sacramento on August 27th, after undergoing an operation, as a last resort of relief from many months of suffering. She was a lovely character and bor her suffering with great fortitude. She was a devoted wife and mother. Her loss is mourned by a husband, C. W. Lovejoy of Rocklin, and two sons, A. L. Dobbas of Auburn, and H. B. Dobbas of Newcastle. She was a native of Maine, aged 63 years.   The funeral was held in Rocklin Sunday, under the auspices of the Order of Eastern Star.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 10-16-1929
Charles Lovejoy, 66, Ends Life by Shooting

Charles Lovejoy, for many years a resident of Rocklin, committed suicide there Monday afternoon by shooting himself through the head. Friends claim he has brooded over his troubles for a long time. He was a native of Maine, aged 66 years. He was twice married and leaves a 10-year-old son, George, who lives with his mother in Lincoln. Interment will be in Rocklin Cemetery today.

Roseville Tribune, Friday, 01-02-1914
Death of Mrs. Lovejoy

Mrs. Clara G. Lovejoy, one of the pioneer women of Northern California died in Rocklin last Friday. The burial occured last Sunday at 2 p.m. and was held under the auspices of the Eastern Star, of which she was a member. Mrs. Lovejoy lived to a ripe old age, being 85 years of age at the time of her death. She and her husband moved to California in 1862and spent most of their lives on the Knickerbocker ranch, near Cool. Her husband died in 1909. A large attendance of children, grandchildren and friends were at the funeral.

Placer Press-Tribune, Tuesday, 9-18-1990

Nov. 1, 1921 – Sept. 16, 1990. Former Rocklin firefighter George (L)oreston Lovejoy died at his home in Rocklin Sunday. He was 68. He was a lifelong resident of Rocklin. He was retired as assistant fire chief of the Rocklin Fire Department with 38 years of service. He also worked for 15 years for the Union Granite Company as a stonecutter. He was a veteran of World War II, having served in the Army. There will be a funeral service at 2 PM Thursday at the Lambert Funeral Home, 400 Douglas Blvd. in Roseville. Interment will be in Rocklin Cemetery. Mr. Lovejoy is survived by his sisters, Constance Jacobsen of Rocklin and Ruby Manes of Lincoln; brother, Albert Harris of Rocklin; a stepson, Alan Donoho of Houston, Texas; a granddaughter; three nieces; and three nephews.

[Note: The newspaper had typed the first letter of the middle name as 'F' for Foreston in error...]

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 10-23-1957
Mrs. Lovejoy Dies; Funeral To Be Friday

Mrs. Laura Bella Lovejoy of 102 B Street died Tuesday at the Roseville Hospital. Mrs. Lovejoy, 79, was born in Lincoln and had been a resident of Roseville since 1912. She is survived by her husband, Warren Lovejoy; and a son, George L. Wilson, both of Roseville; a sister, Sarah Sorenson of Lincoln; and four grandchildren, Marlene Johonie, Warren Wilson, George Wilson Jr., all of Roseville, and Albert Wilson of Savannah, GA. There is one great-grandchild. Funeral services will be held at the Lambert Funeral Home in Roseville at 2 PM Friday, with the Rev. C. Edgar Manherz of the First Methodist Church officiating. Burial will be in the Lincoln Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune, Tuesday, 10-8-1918
Milton Lovejoy Passes Away

Milton Smith Lovejoy, well known and respected Southern Pacific brakeman, running on the Roseville-Gerber run, died in the company’s hospital, San Francisco Sunday. The deceased man was taken sick Friday while on his run and was sent to the hospital Saturday. He has been in the employ of the SP Co. since 1907 and for a year has been on the Gerber run. He was a native of California, born in Cool, El Dorado County, and was 33 years, 8 months and 18 days old and is survived by his widow, two little daughters, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. L. Lovejoy, and a sister, Mrs. E. L. Layton, all of this city. The arrangements for the funeral are being held awaiting the arrival of Ms. Layton from Washington.

Roseville Tribune, Friday, 10-11-1918
Milton S. Lovejoy

Milton S. Lovejoy was born in Cool, El Dorado County, California, Jan. 17. 1884, and passed from this life at San Fra[n]ccisco, October 5, 1918, being 34 years, eight months and 27 days old.   He acquired his education in the public schools of El Dorado, where he grew to young manhood. He then moved to Rocklin where he remained several years, from 1907 to 1910 he was an employee of the S. P. Co. at Rocklin. In June of 1917 he moved to Roseville where since Sept. of that year he has been engaged in railroading.   January 18, 1914 he was united in marriage to Miss Georgia Glover of Auburn, this union being blessed with two children. Aside from a few minor complaints he had been in good health until less than two weeks before his fatal illness.   He was a member of the Order of Railway Employees and was a candidate for the B. of R. T., when overtaken by the unseen messenger of death.   He was held in high esteem by the many who knew him. His untimely departure will be a sense of deep loss to his little family, while his associates will miss his dailing meeting at the cross roads of life.   Just why one so much needed by his dear ones should have been called hence, we poor mortals, are unable to fathom, bus some day we fondly hope to understand.   Besides his grief stricken wife and two loving children, Katherine and Mabel, he leaves a father and mother Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher [transcriber note: should read Thatcher], one brother, L. L. Lovejoy, a sister, Mrs. Clara Layton, all of Roseville, together with many friends throughout Placer and El Dorado cunties.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 12-26-1913
Death of Edward Twigg Loving

Edward Twigg Loving, one of that band of Argonauts who braved the storms and terrors of a long and tedious sea voyage to the newly discovered land of golden promise in those wonderful days of ’49 when all that was bravest and best of the young manhood of the nation was hurrying by sea and land to dig for gold along the hillsides and in the canyons of the Sierra Nevada mountains and who spent the best part of his life with pick, shovel, and pan in prospecting for the glittering particles of gold in the sands of Placer County, passed from the scenes of his labors Tuesday night at 10 o’clock at the home of his niece, Miss Jennie Pole, in this city. Ned Loving, as he was known to his myriad of friends, left his birth place, where he was born July 7, 1826, in Livingston, Nelson County, Virginia, when a young man of twenty-three and made the journey to California, coming around Cape Horn in 1849. He immediately came to what is now Placer County and mined near Millertown and vicinity. In 1857 he purchased the Millertown Ranch from the father of Justice of the Peace B. F. Gwynn; afterward selling it and settling on a small place on North Ravine. He was married in 1854, and his wife died in 1906. He was an indefatigable prospector and engaged in many mining ventures around Ophir and Auburn. Failing health and strength compelled him to give up active life about seven years ago, and since then he has lived a life of quiet retirement. He was aged 87 years, 6 months, and 3 days. Edward Loving was a man who possessed all the traits of a character which mark an honorable man, a true friend and good citizen, and no one occupied a higher place in the esteem and confidence of friends and neighbors than he. Miss Jennie Pole, a niece, and Justice B. F. Gwynn, a brother-in-law of this city, are among the surviving relatives. The funeral was held Thursday afternoon from the Pole residence. Rev. W. C. Harriot of the Methodist Church officiated, assisted by Deaconess Charlotte Jones. The pall bearers were L. B. Levy, W. J. Burns, C. R. Purlington, and J. M. Hamilton.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-20-1916
Calvin Lowell Dies Suddenly

Calvin H. Lowell, a farm laborer, died suddenly Monday at 6 PM while sitting in a chair at a home in the Allen district. The immediate cause of his death was fatty degeneration of the heart. He had not complained of any illness or pains. The funeral was held at Roseville yesterday afternoon from the West Harmer Parlors. Interment was at the IOOF Cemetery. He leaves a brother to mourn his sudden death.

Placer Herald, August 1892
Death of Geo. P. Lowell

George Pierce Lowell died at his home in Auburn last Tuesday, after an illness of over a month. Death was the result of a general breaking down, of a complication of diseases. Mr. Lowell was a pioneer resident of California, having settled in Nevada county in 1864. He subsequently moved to Auburn and has been prominently identified with this city’s business interests for the last fifteen years. At the time of his death he was the senior member of the general merchandise firm of Geo. P. Lowell & Co. Deceased was known to all as an honored and respected citizen. He was a native of Otisfield, Maine, aged 59 years. A wife and little daughter, a brother, J. M. Lowell, of Auburn, and a sister, Mrs. Cooper, of Clipper Gap, survive him. The funeral was held at 3 o’clock Wednesday afternoon from the family residentce, the Rev. Chas. McKelvey conducting the services. Interment in Odd Fellows’ cemetery, Auburn.

Placer Herald, October 1908

The Herald last week briefly noted the death of John Marshall Lowell, one of Auburn’s most prominent and highly respected citizens. Death occurred on Friday evening, October 2nd, just after he had eaten supper, when he remarked to his wife that he felt as though something was going to happen and before she could get him to the sofa he was dead. Mr. Lowell had been ailing for several days, but his illness was not considered serious. A short funeral service was held at the family home Sunday, the Rev. J. P. Macaulay officiating. The remains were taken to Oakland for cremation, being accompanied by Arthur and Oririn Lowell, Undertaker C. O. Hamilton and Chas Keena.

John Marshall Lowell was born in Otisfield, Cumberland County, Maine, July 4, 1840, and was therefore 68 years of age.  He lived and was educated in Cumberland County, and taught school there until the Civil war, when he entered the employee of the United States Government as a buyer of horses.  In 1866 he came to California by way of the Isthmus, locating at Dutch Flat.  He taught school there, and at Gold Run, Towle and Alta.  He also mined in that locality, and was interested with his brother George in the mercantile business at Lowell Hill and Little York.  He married on June 26, 1874, to Miss Armada Carter, also a school teacher.  Later Mr. Lowell moved to Auburn and taught school in Christian Valley, Auburn and Ophir.  He again joined his brother George in the mercantile business in Auburn about 1890, purchasing the grocery business of T.E. Stephens after his death.  Mr. Lowell continued in the business after his brother George’s death, up to the present time.

J.M. Lowell was one of the best of men.  He was the soul of honor and integrity.  His word was a good as his bond.  He was a man who believed in the right at all times, and be strictly and conscientiously hewed to the line.  His passing removes from our midst one of our truest men.  He was very devoted to his family, and their loss will be all the more hard to bear.  Besides the widow he is survived by three sons and one daughter – Marshall Z. Lowell, the present County Clerk; Attorney Arthur C. Lowell, Orrin Lowell and Dorothy Lowell.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 5-11-1927
Manuel Lozano Expires in Auto Saturday Night – Man Held on Charge of Stealing Money and Jewelry from Dead Body

Manuel Lozano, a native of Placer County and aged fifty-one years, died very suddenly from an attack of heart failure Saturday night. His home was at Ophir but he had been staying at the home of his sister, Mrs. J. L. Velasquez in Roseville the past month and was undergoing treatment for heart trouble and other complications from Dr. J. L. Fanning. He was seized with an attack near Rocklin and was brought to Roseville by Al Ridley who rushed him to Dr. Fanning. Being unable to find either Dr. Fanning or Dr. Flectcher, he started back to Dr. J. Y. Whttier’s office but was delayed at the Southern Pacific crossing on Lincoln Street, so that by the time they reached Dr. Whittier’s office, Mr. Lozano had passed away. As he was subject to these attacks, no doubt his life might have been saved had he reached help in time. Mr. Lozano is survived by the following brothers and sisters:  R. E. Lozano of Greenville, J. Lozano of Reno, E. N. Lozano of Santa Clara, Miss Eugenia Lozano of Newcastle, Mrs. C. J. Vicenzio of Ophir, Mrs. J. L. Velasquez, and a niece, Mrs. C. Dependener of Roseville. Funeral services were held at Ophir at 2:00 PM Tuesday and were conducted by Rev. Father Vereker of Auburn. The body was placed in the Gold Hill Cemetery. Broyer and Magner had charge of the services. Many beautiful floral offerings were sent by sympathetic friends and relatives as a token of the esteem in which Mr. Lozano was held by the community in which he had lived so long.
Stealing From the Body

Frank Johnson, who was one of those in the auto when Mr. Lozano died, was arrested by Officer Fred Farnham on a charge of larceny. After Mr. Lozano had been pronounced dead by Dr. Whittier, Mr. Ridley and two other men went to telephone the undertaker, leaving Frank Johnson with the body in the auto. Mr. Ridley noticed Mr. Lozano’s watch chain, minus his watch, and became suspicious. Further search failed to reveal the missing watch, and Mr. Ridley declared that someone had taken it and insisted that all submit to search. This being done, the watch was found in Johnson’s pocket in addition to $15.00 in paper money and some silver, which tallied with the sum Mr. Lozano was known to have had with him. Officer Farnham was summoned and Johnson was arrested. A diamond stickpin was also missing from Mr. Lozano’s necktie, and after diligent search of the car was found in the auto where it is presumed to have been dropped by Johnson. Mr. Lozano’s watch was valued at $150.00 and the diamond stickpin at $80.00.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 10-5-1927
Mrs. Jacob Lucas Died in Berkeley Last Thursday – Well Known and Highly Esteemed Here Where She had Lived 11 Years – Buried in Santa Rosa

Mrs. Allie B. Lucas, wife of Jacob Lucas of Roseville, passed away Thursday night, September 29, 1927, in a Berkeley hospital where she had been taken some two weeks previous after a long illness. Funeral services were held at Welti’s Chapel, Santa Rosa, Saturday afternoon at three o’clock, and burial took place in the family plot at Santa Rosa Cemetery. Mrs. Lucas was the daughter of Mrs. Christinio Johnson of Santa Rosa and of the late Mark Johnson, widely known pioneers of Sonoma County, where Mrs. Lucas passed her childhood. She is also survived by her husband, Jacob Lucas, and three children, Doris, Vernon and William, and by two sisters, Mrs. James Long, wife of former Assemblyman Long, present postmaster of Richmond; and Mrs. J. A. Garoutte of Oakland. Mrs. Lucas and son Billy went to Berkeley from Roseville when her daughter Doris returned to the University of California the middle of August. While there, it was thought best by her relatives that she should remain for medical treatment as she had been failing in health for some time. She went to housekeeping with Doris and Billy and at first seemed to improve, but later was removed to the hospital. Doris will remain at the university for the present, making her home with Mr. and Mrs. Long in Richmond. Billy is now with his grandmother, and Mr. Lucas and Vernon have returned to Roseville. Mrs. Lucas was of a remarkably cheerful and bright disposition although she realized for some time that she was in a precarious condition. She kept her troubles to herself and was always ready and willing to do anything for her family. Just a few minutes before she died, she looked up and smiled at her family. She leaves a host of friends, both in Roseville and her native community, who mourn her untimely death. She had made her home in Roseville and in Cherry Glen for eleven years. Mr. and Mrs. M. R. Gruwell, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hughes, and Mrs. A. B. Chase, all former neighbors of Mrs. Lucas, went to Santa Rosa to attend the funeral.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 9-7-1928
Death of Edward E. Lucas Occurs in Sacramento Hospital Thursday

Edward E. Lucas passed away Thursday morning at the Sacramento Hospital following an operation for stomach trouble, the second one in the past seven months. He was quite well for about four months after his first operation but failed rapidly since that time. He was a member of a large family residing in the Enwood District of Roseville and is survived by his aged mother, “Grandma” Lucas, past 90 years of age. He is survived also by his widow; by his twin brother, Irvin E. Lucas; and two other brothers, Charles and James; by one sister, Harriett Joesink; and by a large number of nephews, nieces, grandnephews, and nieces. He never had any children of his own. He was past 60 years of age. Funeral services will be held at 5:00 o’clock PM on Saturday, September 8th, from the chapel of Broyer & Magner. Rev. T. H. Mee will be the clergyman. Interment will be in the Roseville IOOF Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 3-6-1929
Mrs. Mary Lucas, Pioneer Mother, Died Here Sunday – Funeral Services Held Yesterday Afternoon, Many Relatives Survive

In the passing of Mrs. Mary Lucas, whose death occurred early Sunday morning, March 3, 1929, at her home on Shearer Street in the Enwood district, Placer County loses one of its oldest pioneers. Her death followed a week’s illness from a severe cold, and she was conscious until just a few minutes before her passing. “Grandma” Lucas was a native of Delaware and would have been 93 years of age on April 7. Parkersburg, West Virginia, was her home for many years where she was married in 1851 to Manoah Lucas. They crossed the plains in 1863 in a covered wagon and settled in Amador County where they lived ten years, then moving to the vicinity of Roseville. Manoah Lucas died in August 1895. Nineteen years ago Mrs. Lucas moved to Roseville into the home in which she died. Four generations grew up around her, many of them living on the same street and in close vicinity to her home. Every year at the time of her birthday anniversary, the relatives gathered for a family reunion in celebration of the event. She was remarkably well preserved and agile for her age, and until the past winter when she had the flu she performed her own household duties and did beautiful crochet and knitted lace work without the aid of glasses which she was never forced to wear. In the death of her twin son, Edwin E. Lucas, which occurred last August, Mrs. Lucas suffered a great grief and her health from then on steadily declined. Other children deceased are Vita Idell Gray, Martha A. Lucas, Emma G. Sales, John B. Lucas, Mary Belle Schaffer. Those living, all of Roseville, are Mrs. Harriett E. Joesink, Charles W., James H., and Irvin E. Lucas. Mrs. Lucas was the mother of ten children and is survived by sixteen grandchildren, forty-two great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren. The grandchildren are Charles W. Lucas, Henry E. Lucas, Frances Flint, Henrietta Silverhorn, Vernon Joesink, Bernard Schaffer, Lucas Schaffer, Clifton Schaffer Lucas, Frank Sales, Crede Sales, Lizzie Bell Rhoades, all of Roseville; Charles, Arch and Fred Gray and Florence Brousseau of Sacramento; and the two great-great-grandchildren are John Muzio of San Francisco and Sandy Elmer Brousseau of Sacramento. Mrs. Lucas was a life member of Golden Rule Rebekah Lodge No. 68 of Dutch Flat and of the Auxiliary to the Fraternal Order of Eagles which she joined just two weeks ago tonight, February 20, at which time three generations of her family were initiated in the same class. Funeral services were held at 1:30 PM Tuesday from the Broyer & Magner Chapel. Rev. Thomas H. Mee of Colonial Heights Church, Sacramento, formerly pastor of the First M. E. Church of Roseville, read the sermon, assisted by Minerva Rebekah Lodge No. 72 of Roseville. The drill team of the Roseville Lodge of Eagles acted as an escort. Pall-bearers, all grandchildren, were Crede Sales, Harry Flint, Roy Rhoades, Henry Lucas, Charles Lucas, and Clarence Silverhorn. Over one hundred relatives were present for the services which was one of the largest ever held in Roseville. Interment was made in Sacramento.

Roseville Register, Friday, 12-29-1911

Mary Ellen Chateau was born January 12, 1869, in San Francisco and died at her home in Roseville, December 20, 1911, aged 42 years, 11 months, and 8 days. She was married to J. H. Lucas December 14, 1888, and to this union were born three children. Her married life was spent in and near Roseville, and the people of the community who knew her were united in their faith in her friendship and kindly life. All who came in touch with this home were impressed by the devotion of its inmates to each other, hence the mother will be the more sadly missed. She leaves to mourn, her old father, a brother, her husband, and three children:  Mrs. Harry Flint and Charlie and Henry. Thus again the grim reaper has visited our community and left us in sadness. The funeral was held from the family home in Enwood addition Friday morning at 10 o’clock, and the remains were laid to rest in the Odd Fellows’ Cemetery, Rev. Hugh S. Jackson officiating.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 3-26-1930
Last Rites Today for Paul C. Lucas, Motorcycle Victim

Funeral services will be held at 2 o’clock this afternoon for Paul C. Lucas, who was killed Sunday night when his motorcycle collided with an automobile on the Sacramento road. The funeral will be from the Broyer & Magner Chapel, with Rev. T. H. Mee of Sacramento delivering the address. Interment will be at Roseville Cemetery. Members of the Eagles Order will have charge of the service. Lucas was 22 years old on the day of his death. He leaves his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lucas of 209 Walnut; two sisters, Mrs. Naomi Ames of Newman and Freda Lucas of Roseville; and one brother, Eugene, of Roseville. Lucas met his death about 10:30 Sunday night, returning home from Sacramento. After passing one automobile on the road, he was unable to return to the other side of the road in time to avert a head-on collision with a Buick car driven by George Swift of Georgetown and occupied by Mrs. Swift, Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Sullivan of Sacramento, and one other person. The crash occurred about a mile south of the Florida Inn. Lucas was killed instantly, and an examination later showed that his skull was fractured and that he had suffered internal injuries. The occupants of the automobile suffered minor cuts and bruises. The Swift car, however, was badly damaged. The body of Lucas was taken in charge by Coroner James R. Garlick of Sacramento County. Later it was removed to the undertaking parlors of Broyer & Magner at Roseville.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 3-28-1930
Many Pay Respects at Bier of Paul Lucas

Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon for Paul C. Lucas at Broyer & Magner Chapel, with Rev. T. H. Mee conducting the services. Roseville Aerie of Eagles assisted. Young Lucas met a tragic death Sunday night when his motorcycle collided with an automobile on the Sacramento Road. He was born in Los Angeles March 23, 1908, and passed away on his 22nd birthday anniversary. He lived for some time with his parents in the states of Oklahoma and Washington, the family moving to California in 1917. He was a home-loving boy and had never been away from his parents more than six weeks in his entire life. He attended grammar and high school in Roseville. For some years he was connected with the new Roseville theatre and lately has worked as a pipe helper in the Southern Pacific shops. He is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lucas; a brother, Eugene Lucas; a sister, Freda of Roseville; and a sister, Mrs. E. M. Ames of Newman.

Roseville Register, Friday, 9-18-1914
Mexican Murder Proves Peculiar Mystery

San Diago Luna was shot to death by Don Marsaleni early Monday morning. The cause of the shooting was a quarrel about Luna’s attempt to mistreat his wife, a gentle diversion he seems to have had for some time. At a Mexican dinner party, which started Sunday and ended Monday morning, Luna was dissatisfied with the way his spouse was playing the guitar, and he attempted to abuse and strike her. Marsaleni interfered. Luna was ejected from the house. He started home. His wife went home with a neighbor. Soon thereafter, five shots rang out in the air. Investigation proved that Luna had been shot five times. When the officers arrived on the scene, the woman stated that she had done the shooting, believing that someone was stealing her chickens. Investigation proved that Marsaleni had disappeared, and search was at once instituted for him. Later on when the woman had been placed in jail and after an interpreter had been obtained, the woman said that Marsaleni had done the shooting. Sheriff McAulay had a good clue and went in search of Marsaleni. The clue led the sheriff to Sacramento, but up to Friday morning no arrests had been made.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 1-9-1914
Laid to Rest

The funeral of Frank Lutz, the young man who met such a tragic death at the pottery works last Saturday afternoon as told in last week’s News-Messenger, was held from the Methodist Church here Monday afternoon and was largely attended by sorrowing friends of the family and by those with whom the deceased had worked for over a year past and was extremely popular. The death of this young man and the circumstances connected with it made the funeral a particularly sad and impressive one, and all those present showed marks of deep grief. The sermon of the Rev. Hal Burns was consoling and beautiful, the hymns were sweet and touchingly rendered, and the flowers were fair and expressive of the deepest sympathy, especially those from the men with whom the deceased had been closely associated in his daily toil. Deep and poignant was the grief of the young woman who has been bereaved of the companionship of one who was ever loving, tender, and true – bowed-down with agonizing grief was the one torn from a lovely married state and keenly alive to what was and now is not – pathetic was the thought of the fatherless babe too young to realize the significance of the awful loss. The deceased was a steady, industrious, and up-right young man and very competent in his line of work. He was a native of California and 24 years of age. Besides a wife and infant child, he leaves a brother, sister, and father residing in San Francisco. The inquest over the remains of the deceased was held Saturday by Coroner Bisbee, and a verdict of accidental death was rendered by the jury. According to the testimony given, the deceased had been frequently cautioned while working around the pulley and shaft which caused his death, to be extremely careful. The pulley was making about 165 revolutions a minute, and just how the accident occurred no one was able to tell.

Caught in Pulley and Smashed to Death

Frank Lutz, employee of the Lincoln pottery, was caught in the main pulley wheel at 4 o’clock last Friday afternoon and hurled ten feet. He died of his injury at nine o’clock the same night. Lutz stooped to pick up a wrench, and the belt caught his clothing. It carried him twenty feet to the pulley, then was dashed to the floor. Deceased was 36 years old and leaves a young wife and baby living in Lincoln.

LYON, daughter of W. B.
Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 5-9-1874

Funeral - Nearly every girl and boy and lady and gentleman in the town of Auburn and vicinity attended the funeral service and burial of the daughter of W. B. Lyon on Sunday last, who died on Saturday after a lingering illness of a few weeks. The Band of Hope, composed of the little juveniles of our town, marched in twos to the graveyard, and the scene both in the church and at the grave was most affecting. Quite a number of the little class and schoolmates of the deceased wept unremittingly, and many an older eye was wet and silent tears dropped by those who thought of the bright and promising little favorite. As the funeral cortege passed through our town, escorted by young and old on foot principally, every store was closed in respect to the occasion except one. The music at the church was very affecting and appropriate, and at the grave the soft and gentle voices of the children echoed through the still woods as they sang “Beautiful River.” We heartily condole with the bereaved parents and friends in this the hour of their affliction.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 3-8-1879
A Fatal Fall

On Sunday night John Lyon, a native of Ireland, aged thirty years, was killed by falling down the man-hole of the Julian shaft at Jenny Lind Flat, about a mile and a half below Newcastle. Deceased, who was one of the night shift, was about to take or send down something wanted below, and in the darkness - for he had no light - he stepped into the man-hole around which there was no guard or railing or other protection. The distance he fell was about ninety feet - his body being caught on the second landing. It was found that his neck was broken by the fall; otherwise no injuries were perceivable on the body. He was a stranger, a single man, and had been working there but four days. It is understood that he has a brother who is clerking in a dry goods store in Oakland. Deceased is represented as having been a fine-looking, promising young man. Coroner Redfern, being notified, went down Monday morning, and a jury composed of B. D. Dantam, James Connolly, John Jenkins, J. H. Rittinger, Frederick Nelson, and Henry Nelson was impaneled. A verdict was returned in accordance with the above facts.