Obituaries - J

Today is: part of CA GenWeb



Below you will find a complilation of obituaries gathered from various newspapers throughout Placer County. If YOU have an obituary for a Placer County resident and would like to addit to this collection, please contact the county coorinators.

Placer County Reader (Auburn), Thursday, 12-22-1898

On Friday morning of last week, Mrs. Jacobs, wife of Ex-County Treasurer J. M. Jacobs, died at her home in this city. Mrs. Jacobs had for some time been a sufferer from pulmonary complaints, but the end was not expected so soon. Mrs. Jacobs was the eldest daughter of Mrs. James McCormick of Auburn and was a native of San Francisco. Her father was formerly sheriff of Placer County, and she was Deputy County Treasurer during the terms of her husband and T. B. Harper. Her circle of acquaintances was necessarily large, and her friends were numerous. Her husband and two sons, Walter and Henry, survive her, and they and other relatives here have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement. The funeral took place from the residence of her mother and thence from St. Theresa’s Church Sunday afternoon.

Roseville Register, Friday, 8-29-1913
Rocklin Young Man Died Last Week

One of Rocklin’s most popular young men passed away Wednesday of last week in the death of Hjalmer Jacobson, son of Mrs. J. I. Jacobson. He has lived in Rocklin for the last eight or ten years, having been born in Berkeley where many friends still reside. He was a victim of tuberculosis and went to visit friends in New York Mills, Minnesota, hoping the change would benefit him, but returned in May with his health unimproved. He was an employee of the California Granite Company and a member of the Rocklin Echo Band and of the Athletic Association and was well liked by all who knew him. Funeral services were conducted by Matt Rukkala, local pastor of the church to which young Jacobson belonged. He was 19 years old in July and leaves his mother, a brother William, and two sisters, Senia and Tillie, to mourn his loss. The pallbearers were Henry Hebuck, Albion Escola, Tovio Kokkila, Henry Hutala, John Anderson, and Gus Halonen.

Roseville Register, Friday, 4-24-1914
Funeral Held in Rocklin

The funeral of Miss Senia Jacobson was held at Rocklin Saturday afternoon and was attended by a large number of friends of the family and of the deceased. Senia was in her sixteenth year and was a pupil of the Roseville Union High School until holiday time when her health failed, and the doctor advised that it was best for her to leave school for a short time, but her friends had no fear for her recovery until the past two months. Everything that love and medical aid could do was done to save her life, but all in vain; the end coming on Thursday and her suffering was at an end. She leaves a mother, sister, and brother to mourn her loss, besides countless friends who were attracted to her by her sweet and sunny disposition. Much sympathy is expressed for the bereaved mother as this is the second child she has lost during the past year.

San Francisco Call, Sunday, 1-23-1910
First Bride of Ophir Dies at Home in Camp - Was Received With Royal Honors by Miners in ‘50s

Auburn, Jan. 22 - Anna E. Jamieson, one of Placer County’s pioneer women, is dead at her home in Ophir, where she had lived for more than 50 years. When she came to the camp as the bride of Stephen Jamieson in the early fifties, the miners turned out and celebrated her coming as though she were a queen.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 2-27-1914

After a lingering illness, Mrs. Zerilda Jarvis died at her home in Lincoln on Friday, February 20, at the age of 70 years. Deceased was a native of Putman County, Indiana, but at an early age removed with her parents to Iowa where she lived until 1878. About thirty-six years ago, she came to Lincoln and had lived in this vicinity every since. In 1880 she was united in marriage to Luther Jarvis who died eight years ago. She leaves to mourn her loss one daughter, Mrs. Silas Berry; four grandchildren; two nephews, Edward Hardy and Francis Felis, all residing in Lincoln; a brother in Iowa; and a sister in Missouri, besides hosts of friends who will sincerely mourn her death. Mrs. Jarvis had been a member of the Methodist Church for over twenty years. She lived a consecrated Christian life and died a triumphant death. During the latter part of her illness, she was a great sufferer but she bore it all with patience and true Christian fortitude, awaiting the end with calm resignation and surrounded by her loved ones who had done all within their power that skilled medical assistance and tender care could devise for her comfort. To her, the struggle and burden-bearing of earth are ended, and we confidently trust that, like one who awakes from a troubled dream, she has awakened to see life’s endless morning break and knows herself at home with all the vast throng of loved ones, missed from earth, safe about her. Among all Mrs. Jarvis ranked as a woman of sympathy, a devoted mother, true wife, and sincere friend – withal a woman of heroic mold in meeting the stern requirements and often the disappointments of life – a kind neighbor whose home instincts were strong and her affection for friends and kindred tender and abiding. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon under the auspices of Rose Valley Temple, No. 44, Pythian Sisters, of which the deceased was a charter member. Rev. Brereton made a few remarks, and a choir rendered funeral hymns. Interment was in Manzanita Cemetery.

Roseville Register, Friday, 11-8-1918

Clyde Henry Johnson, 3-months-old son of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Johnson, died November 1, 1918. Undertaken West shipped the little body to Richmond for burial.

Roseville Register, Friday, 11-1-1918

Mrs. Lizzie Lenora Johnson was born in Oakland, July 14, 1892, and passed to her eternal home from Auburn, October 23, 1918, at the age of 26 years, 3 months and 9 days. When four years old, she accompanied her parents to Sacramento where she secured her education and in that vicinity lived for 16 years. On May 9, 1912, she was united in marriage with George W. D. Johnson and came to Roseville where she had since resided until failing health six months ago necessitated a change. Placing her four little children in the tender care of others, she patiently awaited the summons of her Master to a higher service. Plucked in the springtime of life with much that remained undone, she was resigned to the will of Him who cares for the sparrow and the eagle alike. As a girl she was cheerful and playful, making friends wherever she went. This spirit remained as a valuable asset even when the weightier responsibilities of a mother claimed her time. In the home she was always thinking of others and gladly gave of her strength for their comfort. Her chief concern as she faced the inevitable was that the little ones so dear to her might be tenderly guarded. This done, her passing to the great beyond was to the night’s rest after a day of toil. A loving wife, a faithful mother, a devoted sister has left a vacancy no other can fill. She leaves a sorrowing husband; four children, Clarence M., William D., LeRoy E., and Celesta E.; besides a sister, Ella Van Slack; and a brother, Elden McGee of Sacramento; and a grief-stricken mother, Mrs. Ada Jackson of Orangevale, California.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 12-7-1927

Funeral services for Mrs. Ellen A. Deming Johnson, who passed away on Sunday, were held from the First Presbyterian Church at 2:30 o’clock on Tuesday afternoon, and were conducted by the pastor, Rev. M. E. Coen. Mrs. L. B. Purdy, accompanied by Miss Helen Campbell, pianist, and Richard Hanlin, violinist, sang most impressively “Beautiful Isle of Somewhere” and Mrs. Harold Lackey, with the same accompaniment, rendered most beautifully the hymn “Hallelujah.” The pall-bearers were all friends of long standing and highly esteemed by Mrs. Johnson and were Messrs A. B. McRae, J. E. Tulley, F. A. Baker, Edward Reilly, L. H. Barber, and Harrison Bloom. Interment was in the Rocklin Cemetery where rest the bodies of Mrs. Johnson’s former husband and son, Charles L. and Clare Winfred Deming. Services at the grave were conducted by the officers of Emerald Lodge, Ladies’ Auxiliary to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen of which the deceased was a charter member and an active member of the day of her death. Mrs. Hazel Foster, president, read the services. Ellen A. Elderkin was born April 23, 1849 in the State of New York, being of the eighth generation of the Elderkin family of which John, the founder, was born in England about 1612 and came to New England, settling in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1637. Her own father was born in 1817 and was noted for being both a deacon and a colonel at a very early age and for his many manly and upright traits of character. July 1, 1872, Ellen became the wife of Charles L. Deming, and to them were born three children, Clare Winfred, Lillian Amelia, and Lenox Edwin. The daughter died at the age of four years before the family moved to Rocklin, California, in 1885. Clare Winfred was killed at the age of 22 while on duty for the Southern Pacific near Truckee, and Mr. Deming died July 17, 1907 from injuries received when the boiler of his engine blew up near Penryn. Mrs. Deming and her only surviving son and family moved to Roseville in 1908, bringing down their house also which was remodeled and still occupied by the deceased at the time of her death. In 1913 she married to Samuel W. Johnson who survives her, as do also her son Lenox Edwin and wife Florence, their daughter, Mrs. Florence Murphree, and her two daughters, Mildred and Vivian, who were great-grandchildren of Mrs. Johnson. She is also survived by several brothers, sisters, and other relatives in the East. Mrs. Johnson was an exceptionally bright woman even at the age of 78 years, 8 months when she died. She was an active church member first in the Congregational Church of Rocklin and since her residence in Roseville of the Presbyterian Church. She was full of life and spirit and enjoyed life to the fullest. In appearance she was as dainty as a doll and kept herself as neatly and as stylishly dressed as would a woman of fifty years her junior. Sunday night, November 20th, she was stricken with ptomaine poisoning from eating asparagus tips. She had had a very severe cold for several days but was not confined even to her home with it. She grew steadily worse and her son and his wife were sent for. Every care possible was given her, but the ravages of the poison were too much for her advanced age although she lived ten days after she was first thought to be dying. The last three days and nights, she was in a stupor from which she never rallied even once, and the end came at 4:20 PM Sunday, just two weeks from the time she was taken ill. Her husband, her son, and daughter-in-law were at her bedside. Mrs. Johnson had a numberless host of friends, some of many years acquaintanceship dating back to her early life in Rocklin, and others of later years, and she will be greatly missed in a community where she was always watching out to do a good deed and bring cheer and comfort to many a discouraged person. The whole community sympathizes with her husband and son in their loss. Other relatives present for the funeral were Mrs. Johnson’s granddaughter and great-grandchildren, Mrs. Florence Murphree, and daughters Vivian and Mildred of Los Angeles; Mr. Johnson’s daughter, Mrs. Bertha Doane and husband of Berkeley; Mr. Johnson’s two sons, Fred W. of Santa Cruz and Walter C. Johnson of San Francisco and their wives.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 10-4-1879

On Sunday afternoon a man was found dead about a mile from Rocklin, and from general appearances it is supposed that he committed suicide. When found, he was lying on his back with a pistol at his feet. A bundle of clothing was found near him, containing some photographs and an express company’s shipping book with receipts for several small amounts shipped to parties in Nevada, sent by George Johnson, which is supposed to be his name. Also, a note was found in a bundle addressed to “Harris” saying: “I am innocent as sure as there is a God in Heaven,” and was signed George Johnson.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 9-20-1929
Last Rites Said for Judge G. W. Johnson

With the Roseville Masonic Lodge in charge, last rites were conducted from the Broyer & Mahner Chapel yesterday morning for Judge George W. Johnson, whose death occurred Tuesday morning. A large number of friends gathered to pay tribute to the man who has made his home in Roseville for more than 35 years. The casket was banked high with many floral pieces sent by friends and organizations with which Judge Johnson was connected. An escort of Knights Templar from Auburn accompanied the remains from the chapel to East Lawn Cemetery, Sacramento, where the body was cremated. Judge Johnson was never married and leaves no known relatives. He was a Southern Pacific conductor and was retired on pension a few years ago. Four years ago, he was elected justice of the peace of Roseville township and was later appointed city police judge, holding both offices until his death. He was a member of Roseville Masonic Lodge, Ben Ali Shrine of Sacramento and the Knights Templar Commandery of Auburn.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Friday, 11-4-1872
Supposed Murder for Money – House Burned and Remains of a Woman Found

Between 8 and 9 o’clock Saturday night, the citizens of Auburn may have seen the reflection of a conflagration in the vicinity of Virginiatown about eight miles from this place. It proved to be the residence of Mrs. Hannah Johnson, better known as “The Babe of the Woods,” an old lady of seventy years who has resided for some time alone on a place in the woods three miles this side of Lincoln. She formerly kept the George Washington Saloon on Jibboom Street in Sacramento. Sunday morning revealed the fact that she had been burned with the building, her remains being found burned from all recognition, presenting a horrible sight and so completely consumed that it was impossible to tell whether she was murdered or accidentally burned. Mrs. Johnson, it was well known, always kept some little money about her premises and had a few days since sold a number of hogs. From the fact that a suspicious-looking character had been in the vicinity for some days, the general impression prevails that she was murdered for her money – besides, a larger portion of ashes were found around her charred remains than in any portion of the space occupied by the house destroyed. In a corral close to the building, there were seventy-five goats, about forty of which were burned before a neighbor, residing half a mile distant who was the first to arrive at the scene of the fire, could tear down the fence. Mrs. Johnson was a native of England. Three or four of her children now reside in Brooklyn, New York. Why she chose this hermit life, no one knows. A Coroner’s Jury was summoned and the following verdict given:  We the jury called to examine into the cause of the death of the person before us find that her name was Hannah Johnson, aged about 70 years, and we believe a native of England. We find that the body is so badly burned that it is impossible to determine whether the deceased was murdered or not, but we give it as our opinion that she was foully dealt with by some person or persons unknown to us.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 10-22-1919
Advise Inquiry into Fire Fatality - Coroner’s Jury Recommends that Officials Investigate Fatal Fire at Allens - Man Burned to Death may have been Murdered

Recommendation that the District Attorney and Sheriff make further investigation as to the cause of the death of John Johnson, who was burned to death in a cabin in Allens on October 6, was made by the Coroner’s Jury in the case. John Johnson and his brother, Charles Johnson, were occupying a cabin on the Joe Rogers ranch at Allens, four miles from Loomis, on Sunday, October 5. The cabin was destroyed by fire about 4 o’clock on Monday morning, October 6. Charles Johnson was badly burned and has been confined to the county hospital ever since. The body of John Johnson was burned beyond recognition. At the Coroner’s inquest held October 15 by Coroner C. B. Hislop, Chas Johnson testified that the two had been to Folsom during the day and had some beer. They went to bed about 10 o’clock and were awakened about 4 PM by the cabin being on fire. He escaped but his brother was evidently caught in the flames. He denied that the two had a quarrel. On the other hand, Nat Pruet and Charles Henderson testified that they heard the brothers quarreling during the night, and that early in the evening they knocked a bunch of matches on the floor which ignited, and the flames had to be extinguished. After that, they saw no light in the cabin. Charles Johnson could not explain why he, after he had escaped from the cabin, was able to get his horse away from where he was tied near the cabin. It is believed by the jury and officials that the two men were drunk, and that they may have quarreled, and also that the surviving brother was so drunk that h really did not know just what did happen. Both men came from Fair Oaks, Sacramento County, to pick grapes on the Rodgers’ ranch. The officers have made no further report on the case.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-15-1920
Blind Boy Dies From Burns

LeRoy Johnson, son of George Washington Johnson, walked into the open fireplace at the family home Tuesday and died as the result of the burns he received. The little boy was blind and when he walked into the fire, probably could not manage to get out. His cries were heard by a passing automobile party, and he was rescued only to die six hours later. The lad’s mother died two years ago, and his father is a well-known local colored resident.

Sacramento Bee, Thursday, 12-5-1996
Ex-Mayor Guided Rocklin Improvements

Raymond H. Johnson had many visions for his south Placer County community, and as a member of the Rocklin City Council he helped usher in a number of civic improvements, albeit some better remembered than others. And he achieved a personal goal when he turned 100 years old on August 21. Mr. Johnson, a native of Kalamazoo, MI, died on Thanksgiving Day in an Auburn convalescent facility. The list of community improvements during Mr. Johnson’s 1944-56 tenure on the City Council is long and wide-ranging. It includes the installation of natural gas and the start of garbage service, as well as the prohibition of outhouse toilets. “He was a committee of one to find a site for a baseball field; he was instigator of the first curfew ordinance; he introduced the resolution for electric windshield wipers on the police cars,” recalled Marie Huson, Rocklin historian and former council member. Mr. Johnson and his wife, Florence, celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary Sept. 20. In 1936 they had purchased her family’s dairy farm in Rocklin, and from that year until 1949, he served as the town milkman, delivering dairy products and giving neighborhood children rides in the milk truck. He then served as a commercial dairy products distributor until his retirement in 1960. Mr. Johnson, a tall and lanky figure, served four one-year terms as Rocklin mayor, and was active as a volunteer fireman and with a number of service clubs. He and his wife were honored as Rocklin’s Community Service Couple of the Year by the Rocklin Rotary Club in 1989. He was parade grand marshal in 1993 when the community marked 100 years of incorporation. "He was always an inspiration. He had a fantastic memory. He was a true servant of the people of Rocklin", Huson said. Roger Barkhurst of Rocklin recalled that, as a youth, he gigged frogs on a stream running through the Johnson property and sold the frog legs to Mr. Johnson. In later years, Mr. Johnson sold Barkhurst a home site, then showed up with his tractor to help level it. "He was a person of character", said Barkhurst, who served on the City Council from 1968 to 1981. Survivors include his wife, Florence, a son, Gene of Sunnyvale, and a brother, Kenneth of Flint, MI. A graveside memorial service will be held at 2 PM Saturday in the Rocklin Cemetery.

Auburn Journal, Thursday, 12-16-1965
Applegate Pilot Killed In Vietnam

The war in Vietnam struck close to home December 3rd when Lieutenant Stanley Johnson, 25, a helicopter pilot from Applegate, was shot down on his first mission over enemy territory. John, who was married a little more than a month ago, left the US for Vietnam on Thanksgiving Day, arrived there on December 1, and was killed in action two days later. He was flying with the First Marine Air Wing. His mother, Mrs. Caroline Johnson, was notified officially that there were no survivors from her son’s aircraft, on which he was serving as co-pilot, and which carried a crew of five. The bodies were not recovered. The pilot was a graduate of Placer High School, Sierra College, and the University of Utah. He took flight training at Pensacola, FL. Survivors include, besides his mother, a brother, Stephen, a Navy air force man stationed at Moffett Field; his wife, Ann, currently staying with Mrs. Johnson at Applegate; and a sister, Arlene of Applegate.

Roseville Register, Friday, 9-6-1918
Sam Johnston Passes Away Suddenly – Ill but a Day

Sam Johnston had a stroke of paralysis Tuesday and was rushed to the Auburn hospital where he expired Wednesday, being unable to overcome the attack. John Holt and Marshal Beckwith took the sick man to Auburn in the Holt auto. He was 62 years old and had been a resident of this community for some time, being quiet and well known, a man of sterling worth. Deceased was a member in good standing of Rocklin Lodge IOOF, and the funeral services were under the ritual of that order.

Roseville Register, Friday, 9-13-1918

Samuel G. Johnston was born in Iowa in 1851 and passed from this life at Auburn, Sept. 4, 1918, being 67 years of age. While still a boy, he came to California where more than fifty years were spent for the most part in Placer County, Rocklin being his home. He had been for more than 25 years a member of Rocklin Lodge IOOF and had many warm and close friends. He was naturally kind-hearted, benevolent, and considerate. He always thought of others before himself and merited the most kindly feeling of all who knew him. He was severely stricken with paralysis and awaited the messenger of death with unfaltering hope of a better life to come. He leaves one brother, a retired engineer of the Rock Island system, and a nephew in Iowa and three in Penryn and one in Los Angeles. Interment was in IOOF Cemetery, Rev. Mee officiating at the services and the Odd Fellows ritualistic burial services.

Auburn Journal, Thursday, 8-14-1952
Early Settler Is Found Dead at Tahoe City Home

William Charles Johnston, 74, one of Tahoe City’s earliest settlers, died at his home Friday night apparently of natural causes. He was found late Saturday by Mr. and Mrs. Simon Mitchell of Sunnyside. Mrs. Mitchell is his niece. Funeral services were to have been conducted at the outdoor chapel in Tahoe City Tuesday by Bishop Noel Porter of Sacramento. Burial was to be held in the Tahoe City Cemetery. His wife, Viola, was in Reno with her mother, who is ill. Johnston settled in Tahoe City in 1896 and started a tent camp ground resort in 1907. Long a strong supporter for fish conservation at the lake, he was one of the area’s first commercial fishermen and also a trapper and hunter. The deceased continued in the resort business until 1950 when he leased his place to Mr. and Mrs. Ben Callender. Survivors, besides his wife and niece, are Mrs. Jessie James, a sister of Carmichael; and a nephew, Stanley Johnston of Sacramento.

Placer County Reader (Auburn), Thursday, 1-12-1899

From the Lincoln News-Messenger we take the following:  Mrs. Adeline Jones died at the home of her son December 24th. She had been in poor health for about six months but was up and around until three days of her death. She seemed to have a slight cold, which soon developed into bronchial pneumonia. Everything that medical aid and kind friends could do was done, but God knows best. Mrs. Jones was born in Germany and became a member of the Lutheran Church when quite young. She was married in the city of New York to John Boling in 1858. From there she came to California and lived near Newcastle. Two years later, her husband was killed in a mine at Gold Hill. One child, the late John Boling, was the fruit of this marriage. In 1864 she was united in marriage to William Jones. They lived at Newcastle for a year on what is known as the “Bloomer Ranch.” From there they moved to their farm near Lincoln where she has resided ever since. Mrs. Jones was a kind and loving mother and respected by all who knew her. Strange as it seems, she was born on Christmas Day and died on Christmas Eve.

Roseville Tribune and Enterprise, Wednesday, 6-15-1927
City Saddened by the Death of Prominent Man – T J. Jones Meets Death by the Accidental Discharge of Shot Gun

T. J. Jones, well known real estate and insurance man, was instantly killed on Friday morning, June 10, by the accidental discharge of his shot gun. Mr. Jones left his home about seven o’clock in the morning on a business trip into the country. He had received a letter from a client who desired to purchase a dairy and having learned that there was one for sale in the Allens District, he drove there in his car. Mr. Jones had always been fond of hunting and frequently took his gun along with him on his trips into the country and on this occasion had apparently not thought of taking the gun but as he was about to leave the house, he turned to his wife and told her that he thought he’d take the gun and try to bag a couple of jack rabbits for his grandson’s dog. Mrs. Jones oftentimes accompanied her husband on his business trips but when the subject of her going with him at this time was discussed, Mr. Jones said as the way was over the Rocky Ridge he thought that the going would be too rough for her. In his usual cheerful manner, Mr. Jones bade his wife good-bye, telling her that he would probably be home about 9 o’clock. When nine o’clock came, Mrs. Jones began awaiting her husband’s return and soon after became somewhat concerned as Mr. Jones seldom failed to return at an appointed hour. About eleven o’clock, Mrs. Jones became deeply alarmed and telephoned to her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Walter Jones, to come over to her home. Soon after came the sad news of the accident. The body of Mr. Jones was found about five miles east of Roseville in the road along a barbed wire fence. He had apparently gotten through the fence and reached for his gun which he had left on the other side and in pulling the gun toward him it went off, the charge passing through his heart, killing him instantly. The body was found by a farm woman of the neighborhood who notified the officers, and the body was brought to the undertaking parlors of Broyer & Magner. At the inquest on Monday afternoon conducted by Coroner C. B. Hislop, the jury returned a verdict of accidental death. Funeral services for Mr. Jones will be held at the family residence at 202 Cedar Street this (Wednesday) afternoon at one o’clock, and friends will be accorded the privilege of attending. Interment will be in Sylvan Cemetery where the Woodmen of the World will have charge of the services.

Roseville Tribune and Enterprise, Friday, 6-17-1927
Last Rites Held Wednesday for Thomas J. Jones – Many Friends Pay Tribute of Respect to Our Beloved Citizen

In the passing of Thomas J. Jones on Friday morning, June 10, 1927, one of Placer County’s well-known and highly respected citizens has been removed from a large circle of friends and business associates, having reached the advanced age of 80 years, 7 months, and 13 days. Born in Springfield, Ohio, October 28, 1846, he acquired his education and grew to young manhood in the place of his birth. After a short time in Peoria, Illinois, he went to Cottonwood Falls, Kansas, where on April 22, 1879, he was happily united in marriage with Miss Jennie Pressnall of the same place. For three years, they lived in Springfield, Ohio, when they moved to Colorado where thirteen years were spent before coming to California in 1902. Aside from a short time in Sacramento and four years in Sparks, Nevada, the remainder of their sojourn was in Roseville, California. During these eighteen years residence in our midst, he greatly endeared himself to the people of the community while he contributed much to its upbuilding. Always standing for the best interests of his fellowmen, he was known as a man of conviction actuated by good training and high moral standards. These ideals were carried into all his business activities as well as in the public service to which he was often chosen. It was while serving in the State Legislature of Nevada that he was instrumental in securing the incorporation of the town of Sparks. Always placing the public good above personal interests, he was frequently called upon to make sacrifice rather than ignore principle. It was this standard of loyalty and integrity that enabled him to build up an extensive real estate and insurance business in which he befriended many needy families. He also served as justice of the peace in several townships and was a moving spirit in political life. He was admitted to the Masonic fraternity in South Charleston, Ohio, in 1877, and for thirty years he had been a member of the Woodmen of the World, and the Women of Woodcraft for thirty years. It was in his home life that the well rounded development of his generous, beneficent and patriotic nature found full expression. Here he was ever alert for the comfort and personal welfare of each member of the home where he was always regarded as a devoted husband, a loving father, and a good neighbor. Being one in a family of seven children, he early learned the lessons of patience, fortitude, and good will. This with his background of religious training in the Friends Church made him brotherly and kind to people in all walks in life. In appreciation of his rich inheritance and subsequence environment, he always lent of his time and means in the promotion of every good cause. With the passing days his presence will be greatly missed, while the memory of his deeds and unfailing and gracious companionship will be treasured as among the worthwhile things of life. All of his sons were in attendance at the memorial services except Charles R. Jones who is in Cleveland attending to national committee duties but sent an assuring message worthy of a dutiful son. Besides his grief-stricken helpmeet of nearly a half century, he leaves to honor his name the following sons:  Walter N. of Roseville; Frederic P. of La Junta, Colorado; Charles R. of Dunsmuir; and Paul J. Jones of Houston, Texas. He also leaves one brother, Worden Jones of Springfield, Ohio, eleven grandchildren, and ten great-grandchildren. With these, many true friends share in honoring one whose life was filled with deeds of kindness. The funeral services were held from the family residence on Cedar and Oakland Avenue, Wednesday afternoon with Rev. A. J. Weaver and Rev. T. H. Mee officiating, assisted by Mrs. Annie C. King who sang “The End of a Perfect Day” with violin accompaniment by Mrs. J. L. Fidler. Interment was in the Sylvan Cemetery where a bower of floral offerings lent a priceless tribute expressive of life’s attachments. The casket was borne by the following grandsons:  Ralph, Harold, Fredric, Walter, Paul, and Fred Jones. At the grave, Woodmen of the World from Sacramento were assisted by the local pastors in performing the final rites for one who had efficiently served in their ranks for more than three decades.

Corning Observer, 2-21-1903

William Jones was accidentally killed by his cousin, George Jones at Applegate. The two had been hunting and on their way home stopped at a winery. George was overcome, and falling down his gun discharged, killing William Jones instantly. The dead man leaves a wife and nine children.

Roseville Register, Friday, 5-8-1914
Death Occurs at the Granite City

Edward Jordan died at his home in Rocklin at the age of 60 years. Mr. Jordan was a native of Ireland but had been in this country for years and had spent most of his life in Rocklin where he was a well-known figure and will be missed by his old friends. He was the father of Mrs. Ira Wilson and Ed. Jordan of Rocklin and Jim, John, and Andy Jordan of Sacramento. The funeral services were held from St. Mary’s Church Thursday at 10 o’clock.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 9-20-1879
Roseville Letter

It has been the painful duty of our citizens to follow to their last resting place, lately, the remains of two old and respected neighbors, Mrs. Joslyn, a daughter of Mr. Daniel Stephenson, who was buried Saturday afternoon, and Mr. S. T. Cooper, who was buried Sunday afternoon. Both funerals were largely attended by the friends of the deceased.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 3-23-1928
Jasper W. Jurgens, Age 73, Funeral Services Saturday

The death of Jasper W. Jurgens occurred at his home, 400 Riverside Avenue, Thursday, March 22, 1928. Mr. Jurgens had been in failing health for some months but had been confined to bed but a few days previous to his passing, having been up town the fore part of this week. He was born at Weber Creek, El Dorado County, seventy-three years ago last December and was one of the first white babies to arrive in that county. He had been a resident of Roseville the past twenty-eight years. He is survived by his widow; two sons, J. H. Jurgens and George B. Jurgens of Roseville; and two daughters, Miss Violet Jurgens of Sacramento and Mrs. W. Flickenger of Cisco. Funeral services will be held on Sunday afternoon of this week at 2:30 o’clock from the chapel of Broyer & Magner, and will be conducted by Rev. Thos. H. Mee and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which he was a member. Interment will in the Roseville IOOF Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 3-28-1928
Many Friends Pay Tribute to J. W. Jurgens

In the passing of Jasper W. Jurgens from the family residence on Riverside Avenue, Thursday March 22, 1928, one of Roseville’s most highly respected citizens has been removed. Born in El Dorado County December 18, 1854, he had reached the age of 73 years, three months, and four days. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jasper P. Jurgens, were among the honored pioneers of the state, their hospitable home having been the mecca for many of the early settlers, as well as the two succeeding generations. The treasured memories of numerous happy gathering at their fireside and the enchanting countryside enriched the lives of the neighborhood and countless visitors among whom were those renowned in the various walks of life. These having come from far and near added their special contribution to a life teeming with romance and adventure that thrived during the exciting period incident to the discovery of gold in California by James Marshall. With this famous captain of industry in the West whose imposing monument stands as a fitting recognition the patience, toil and hardships of the builders of the nation, his father was associated in mining projects. It was natural therefore that this stalwart son should have devoted the greater portion of his early life to the same occupation amid the attractions of the great out-of-door environment. Here as elsewhere he formed lasting friendships of mutual benefit toward which he continuously aimed. On May 29, 1882, he was united in marriage with Miss Annie G. Kohn of San Francisco, where after three years in managing a large estate in St. Helena, they lived for a short time, when they returned to El Dorado County until 1909 when they took up their residence in Roseville, California. Here he was engaged in the car-building department of the Pacific Fruit Express for about sixteen years, during which his mechanical skill and cordial associations were most productive and merited the confidence of his fellowmen. Upon his retirement from this strenuous trade, he spent much of his time at his mining interests where his health was improved and the joy of living more fully realized. For the past three months he had been ailing, but it was not until a few days before his final summons that he refused to be about. With a courage and an optimism that had actuated him throughout his long and useful life, he awaited the peaceful release surrounded by loved ones who lent their best endeavors and medical skill on his behalf. Industrious, kindly, and devoted, he constantly exemplified the coveted qualities of an obedient son, a loving husband, and an indulgent father whose home was dear and whose citizenship was of patriotic fervor and whose fraternal nature registered the high purposes of a brother beloved. For forty-five years, he had been a member of Independent Order of Odd Fellows in St. Helena where, with his queenly companion, for as many summers their sacred matrimonial journey began. With all the changing associations and fortunes of life, he shared the benediction of his fond mother who but a few years ago was called from her earthly tabernacle. Joining with his bereaved widow and sons, J. Harry and George B. Jurgens of Roseville; and daughters, Mrs. W. Flickinger of Cisco and Miss Violet Jurgens of Roseville, and seven grandchildren, are many friends who record with esteem and honor the memory of one whose sojourn added much to personal and community welfare. The only surviving member in a family of six children is Mrs. Kate Wiseman of Lakeport, California. The funeral services were conducted under the auspices of Odd Fellows Saturday afternoon with Rev. Thomas H. Mee assisting, and Messrs Bird Amick, R. W. McCoy, Thomas Whitehead, A. Swain, Ed Hammill, and Harry Biggs serving as pall bearers. Interment was in the new Odd Fellows Cemetery where a large delegation of members of the lodge and friends assembled with a rare selection of the choice floral offerings that bestowed their fragrant message more real than pen or tongue could relate.