Obituaries - F

Today is: part of CA GenWeb



Below you will find a complilation of obituaries gathered from various newspapers throughout Placer County. If YOU have an obituary for a Placer County resident and would like to addit to this collection, please contact the county coorinators.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 7-19-1879
Distressing and Fatal Accident to a Child

On Tuesday afternoon between four and five o’clock, a little daughter of Michael Faber, who lives on Turnpike Street, was scalded so severely that she died before noon next day. Mrs. Faber had just drawn the boiling water off a pot of potatoes and for the moment placed the bucket containing it upon the table. The child, who was but twenty months old, caught hold of the edge of the bucket and accidentally tipped it over upon herself. The boiling liquid poured over her face and body, and the child screamed in agony and suffered greatly for about two hours. After that time she apparently suffered but little, was quite rational, and spoke to her parents. A very affecting incident connected with the sad affair is that half an hour before she died, the little girl reached up affectionately to kiss her mother. The child was buried at the old cemetery on Thursday. The parents, who are rather aged people, are Germans and a worthy couple. Mr. Faber is a stone mason and until about a year ago lived at Lincoln in this county. They are in humble circumstances. There is one remaining child in the family, a little girl of three years. We are requested on behalf of the afflicted parents to return thanks to the kind-hearted neighbors for their active sympathy and Christian charity.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 11-15-1873

Died - At Rocklin, Nov. 8th, Henry Fahlo, aged 47 years, a native of Germany. Mr. Fahlo has been for many years a resident of this county and was universally esteemed by all who were acquainted with him. He has for some time past been employed as night watchman at the yard of the railroad company in Rocklin and met his death while coupling cars. He leaves a wife and several children in destitute circumstances.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 7-14-1910
Sudden Death of Nellie Falconer

The community was shocked at the announcement of the sudden death of Miss Nellie Falconer last Thursday. She was at her post of duty as assistant to Postmaster Trippett up to noon on Monday, July 4th and had up to that time made no complaint of feeling ill or even indisposed. She went home to lunch as usual and with her mother partook of a baker’s pie and ate some sliced cucumbers. A short while after eating, she complained of severe pains in the stomach, which grew so severe that her mother called in Dr. Ashby who diagnosed the case as being ptomaine poison and administered antidotes accordingly. The pains increased in violence until Wednesday, when she was thought to be improving. Thursday morning, however, she grew rapidly worse until death came to her relief. Her suffering was intense, but she bore up bravely until the last. While it is agreed that she died from the results of ptomaine poison, yet the immediate cause of death was the perforation of an intestine. Miss Falconer was a most estimable young lady, and all who knew her held her in the highest esteem. For several years she was a clerk in the post office under Miss Pitcher, and when Mr. Trippett was appointed, she entered the office as assistant and during her entire service she was always recognized by the patrons of the post office as most obliging and accommodating. Socially she was reserved and quiet but beloved by her friends and acquaintances. She was a most estimable character and stood high with all classes of the community, and her sudden death has caused general regret. She leaves an aged father and mother, five brothers and one sister, and to them the whole community extends heartfelt sympathy. The remains were laid away in the Odd Fellows’ Cemetery Saturday afternoon, impressive funeral services, conducted by Rev. O. L. Linn, being held at the Presbyterian Church. The bier was covered with beautiful flowers contributed as tokens of the high esteem in which she was held. Berkeley Anderson, George Jergens, Clarence McRae, A. Miller, Chester Darling, and George Haman acted as pall bearers.

Roseville Register, Friday, 8-1-1913
County News

Herbert E. Falk, a well-known man in this city, died suddenly Sunday evening while in convulsions brought on by a weakened condition of his vital organs. The deceased had resided in Placer County for about thirty years and owned and lived on a fruit ranch in the Mt. Pleasant district for a long time. Of late years, he has made his home in Auburn. He was 52 years of age and was born in Liverpool, England, his father being an extensive and wealthy salt manufacturer.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 11-23-1928
Seven-Months-Old Babe Died Here Tuesday

Little 7-months-old Femina Fannco, daughter of Lope F. Fannco, died Tuesday morning and was buried Wednesday morning in the Roseville Cemetery beside her mother who died at her birth. The services were at 10 AM from the Catholic Church. The baby’s mother formerly worked at the Lilywhite Laundry and was familiarly known as “Tiny.”

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 11-2-1927
Funeral Services for Mrs. A. E. Farnham Held Last Saturday

Funeral services for Mrs. Alvin E. Farnham were held from the chapel of Broyer & Magner Saturday afternoon, Rev. Thomas H. Mee officiated, and Mrs. B. C. Knapp and Mrs. Carl Sawtell singing “Rock of Ages” and “Abide with Me.” The pall bearers were Messrs Ed Hammill, A. B. McRae, John Shellhouse, William Berry, R. Lauppe, and Guy DeKay. Interment was in the family plot in the Sylvan Cemetery where a large concourse of relatives and friends bearing quantities of beautiful floral offerings lent a fitting expression of love. On November 25, 1851, in the state of Michigan, Mrs. Cordelia Farnham was born and there grew to young womanhood. She was united in marriage with Alvin E. Farnham who had served with distinction in the Civil War. In 1886 she accompanied her family to California, locating in the Dry Creek section near Roseville where the remainder of her long and useful life was spent. Owing to continued ill health, she moved with her son Emmett to Roseville, locating on Douglas Street. She continued to be about as her strength would permit until Sunday October 23, 1927 when overtaken by severe illness, she was obliged to lay aside her accustomed duties, and on Wednesday evening was summoned by her Maker. Hers had been an active, self-sacrificing life in which many had shared her beneficent touch of kindness and goodwill. Her devoted life of four decades in our midst speaks more than words could possibly record. For many years, she had been a member of the Rebekah Lodge and of the Grange where her helpful hand was much appreciated through the years. Having early cultivated the principles of the Christian life, she found abiding communion with her Lord whose care she trusted with increasing confidence to the end of life’s earthly pilgrimage of 76 years, nine months and one day. On June 15, 1920, she was bereft of her companion of a half century, leaving her the two sons and one daughter, Fred A. and Emmett Farnham and Mrs. B. D. Fretag of Roseville, to bless her precious memory, also ten grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. With these, many friends throughout Placer and Sacramento counties join in offering their tribute of esteem for one well beloved.

Roseville Register, Friday, 7-30-1915
Patrick Farrell Dies

Patrick Farrell, a native of Boston, Mass., died at Doten’s Bar last Saturday at the age of 63 years. The funeral was held at Rocklin Monday afternoon, and interment was made in the Rocklin Cemetery. Patrick Farrell was a good-souled man who made friends with everyone he met, and he left a circle of such friends who mourn his death. He leaves to mourn his death a brother, Tim Farrell, and Mrs. Chas. O’Keefe, both of this city. He was a pioneer of Placer County and was one of the men who always had confidence in this county.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 7-15-1909

Philip Fay, one of the most popular young employees in the Southern Pacific service, died in the railway hospital at Sacramento Thursday, July 8th, at the age of 24 years. He had been sick but a short while, and a few days before his death went to the hospital where his malady was pronounced dropsy of the heart. He suffered intensely for a few days, when he succumbed, and his spirit returned to the source from whence it came. Philip Fay was born in Truckee. He entered the employ of the railroad company four years ago as an apprentice in the shops at Rocklin, coming to Roseville at the time of the general transfer. Only a few weeks ago, he finished his apprenticeship and was promoted to the ranks of skilled machinists. He was a modest, unassuming young man and had proved to be very popular among his fellow workmen and all who knew him. The remains were taken to Truckee for interment. A large number of friends from this city traveled to the mountain town to attend the funeral obsequies, which were held last Sunday afternoon from the Catholic Church. The parents of the deceased reside in Truckee. The funeral was one of the largest and most impressive which ever took place in the town.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 9-1-1926
Mrs. Mary E. Fellows, Well-Known Roseville Business Woman, Succumbs

The sudden death of Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Fellows brought sorrow to a large number of friends in Roseville and elsewhere where she was known. She passed away Tuesday night following a severe operation which was performed at Colfax on Sunday. Funeral services will be held at the West Undertaking Parlors at Colfax on Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock, the Rebekah Lodge of that city taking charge. The deceased was the daughter of the late Martha and William Henry Davies, early settlers of Placer County. She was born at Bath and has lived almost all of her life at Rocklin and Roseville, with the exception of twelve years spent at Gilroy. She was engaged in business in Rocklin and since 1915 has had a store in Roseville, the present location being on Riverside Avenue, where she owned a notions and dry goods establishment. In this capacity she was well known and numbered her friends by the legion. She was a member of the Gilroy Rebekah Lodge and the Benefit Association. She is survived by three nieces, Mrs. Alice Monk, Mrs. Henrietta Hook of Sacramento, and Mrs. Blanche Hopfield of Hammonton.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 10-16-1929
Death of Lincoln Man by Shooting Is Probed by Sheriff

Otis Shields, 26, is being held in the county jail while officers probe conflicting versions of the slaying Sunday night of Henry Fenton, 27, his brother-in-law. Shields told officers that he shot Fenton with a shotgun in self-defense. Monday he declared the shooting was accidental while both men were grasping the gun, struggling for the possession of it. The officers say Shields was in a drunken condition when arrested. They say both men had been drinking heavily prior to the shooting. The killing occurred about 7:30 PM at Virginia Town, five miles from Lincoln. Virginia Town, once a populous center, is not one of the state’s “ghost towns.” Fenton, physicians say, was killed instantly. The charge from the shotgun struck him in the right shoulder, tearing away a lung. Shields told the officers that on several occasions in the past when Fenton was drinking, he accused Shields for being responsible for a rift that led to the separation of Fenton and his wife, the latter being Shield’s sister. He said Fenton renewed the old quarrel Sunday night and procured a revolver, threatening Shields and others with harm. Shields’ story goes that he took down the shotgun from the wall and with it covered Fenton and disarmed him. Later, he said, Fenton attempted to wrest the shotgun from him, and in the struggle it was discharged, killing Fenton. Constable Elmer L. Beerman of Lincoln said that Shields Sunday night declared he shot Fenton while the latter was in the doorway of the cabin, threatening him with the revolver. The constable said the body was probably 30 feet from the cabin, and no blood was found at the cabin. The entire charge entered Fenton’s body at short range, Constable Beerman said, the wound at point of entry being no larger than a silver dollar. This, he said would substantiate the physician’s contention that Fenton was instantly killed. Shields, however, told Constable Beerman that Fenton cried out, "You shot me!" before he died. The shotgun was found behind a pig pen, 300 feet from the house. The officers have not determined who hid the gun there. Mrs. Fenton is in the East. She will be notified of the tragedy. The Fentons are parents of a child. They separated two years ago. Shields is also married and is a father.

Roseville Register, Friday, 9-26-1913
Popular Young Woman Victim of Appendicitis

Miss Katherine Ferguson of near Loomis died Saturday afternoon at Sierra Hospital. She had been brought from Blue Canyon, and it was found that she was suffering from a severe case of appendicitis. She was operated upon by Dr. Mackay, assisted by Doctors Couture and Far, and it was found that she was suffering with an exploded appendix and peritonitis. Heroic measures were resorted to but despite the very best surgical and medical treatment, she died the following day from septic peritonitis. Miss Ferguson was a teacher for several terms at Blue Canyon and highly though of by all who knew her.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 4-2-1930
Dies at Auburn

Melvin Chandler Ferrier, 57, a retired blacksmith, died at Auburn Saturday. He was a native of Tehama County and is survived by his widow, two brothers, and a sister.

Auburn Journal, Wednesday, 2-26-1975

A Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11 AM today in St. Dominic’s Catholic Church, Colfax, for Mrs. Josephine Figaroli, 74, who died February 22 in an Auburn hospital after a short illness. Burial will be in the Colfax District Cemetery under the direction of Quinn’s Sierra Chapel. A native of Italy, she had lived in Colfax for 33 years and operated the Shady Glen Bar and Restaurant. She was a member of Ceanotha Council No. 9, Order of Pocahontas, of Grass Valley, and the Jess E. Taylor Post No. 2003 VFW auxiliary. Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Julia McCullough of Roseville; son, John Panelli of Colfax; a brother, Pietro Pierucci of Chicago, IL; four sisters, Rosa Biancalana of Chicago, Isabella Lembi of San Francisco, and Pia Pierucci and Teresa Santucci of Italy; and six grandchildren. Memorial may be given to the Cancer Society or the Heart Fund.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 7-1-1876
Man Drowned

We are under obligations to Major Swett for the particulars of a sad occurrence at Rocklin Thursday afternoon by which Martin Finnan lost his life. Mr. Finnin, with two or three others, was taking a bath in one of the abandoned quarry holes that are numerous in Rocklin, and none of the party being good swimmers, Finnin, who was probably seized with cramp, was drowned. These holes are of small extent, but the water in them is deep; the one in which they were bathing having at least twenty feet of water in it. Finnin, who could swim a little, started to swim across the pool but when about half way across turned around to come back to his starting point when he was seen by the others to begin struggling as if he was sinking. One of the party got a board and, wading in on the rocks as far as he could, reached it to the drowning man, but the latter caught it so frantically as to snatch it from the grasp of his comrade. In a few moments he sunk and was not seen again until constructing a raft, his body was dragged up from the bottom of the pool. It seems strange that a man should be allowed to drown in a pool not twenty yards in width, in plain sight of three or four men, but none of them being good swimmers, they were afraid to venture to his assistance and in the excitement of the occasion, no one seemed able to devise any plan for his rescue. Finnin was a stranger at Rocklin, having only been there about a week. He came there from Folsom where he leaves a wife and four small children. He was a native of Ireland and was 42 years of age. Coroner Swett held an inquest on his remains, the facts elicited being substantially as above stated.

[Submitter’s note:  The surname was spelled two different ways within the article.]

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 12-8-1926
Dr. W. N. Finney Brought Here Monday for Burial

Funeral services were held in Concord on Monday for Dr. W. N. Finney who died in the Roosevelt Hospital in Oakland at the age of seventy-seven years. Dr. Finney was a former resident of Roseville, having lived here about thirty-six years ago. He was married in Roseville to Mrs. Finney who is a sister of F. A. Fiddyment and the late James A. Hill of Roseville. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Mattie Finney of Lincoln and Mrs. Norma Foskett of Concord. Dr. Finney was a veteran of the Civil War. The burial took place in the Roseville Cemetery in the family plot, and the services at the grave were conducted by Roseville Lodge No. 222, F&AM.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 12-9-1915

Died at San Francisco, November 30, Edward F. Fischbach at the age of 38 years. He met with an accident in the S. P. yards some time ago and never recovered. A coroner’s jury investigated his death because it was believed he was on the road to recovery. The funeral will be held today, and the services will be at the Catholic Church where mass will be said for the repose of the soul. Interment will be in the IOOF Cemetery.

Roseville Register, Saturday, 8-1-1908

The funeral of Mrs. Hannah C. Fisher took place at her late home last Tuesday at 10 AM, interment being in Odd Fellows Cemetery. She had reached the allotted three score and ten, and like a beautiful shock of ripened golden wheat, was ready for the garnering. Her maiden name was Horsman, and she was a native of Ohio. Her father, Amos Horsman, was one of the old pioneers of Virginia and was first cousin to General Ulysses S. Grant and a distant relative to General Arthur. She was married to Thomas Fisher of Ohio and to them were given two children, Mrs. J. J. Bartlett, who died in Salem, Oregon, leaving two sons, John T., and W. J., now of Omaha, Nebraska; and C. H. Fisher of Roseville, who has five children, Mrs. Lulu Hill of Sacramento, Mrs. J. N. Sawtelle, wife of the prominent grocer, and Nora, Eva, and Alva Fisher, who mourn the loss of mother and grandmother. Mrs. Hannah C. Fisher was one of a family of twenty-one children, only one surviving, being Mrs. Samantha Whitlow of Ohio. Mr. Thos. Fisher, husband of the deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War, serving four years, enlisting in the 79th Regiment, Co. G., Ohio Volunteers. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. T. C. Smith, and the Methodist choir rendered several appropriate selections at the grave. The solo, “Rocked in the Cradle of the Deep” was beautifully rendered by C. W. Anderson.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 8-10-1861

In Auburn, Thursday, 8th inst., of enlargement of the heart, Mr. Robert J. Fisher, in the 34th year of his age, a native of Baltimore, Maryland. [Baltimore papers please copy.] In the death of Mr. Fisher, Auburn has lost a pioneer citizen and an excellent man. In 1849 he came to what is now Auburn, but then wild, with scarcely a name to designate the locality. The company of which he was a member, and known as the Baltimore Company, commended mining in this vicinity, and their mining operations were among the earliest in developing the placers upon the tributaries of what is now known as the main Auburn ravine. Two of these tributary ravines, yet known as Little and Bit Baltimore ravines, took their names from the company of which Mr. F. was a member in the pioneering days of ’49. Unlike many of the gold hunters of those days who were constantly wandering after richer diggings, Mr. Fisher remained upon the scene of his first essay at mining and saw the scattered camp assume the first evidences of a town by the erection of log cabins and shake houses, and bearing the name of "Wood’s Digging’s", and yet further improvements when the paths became streets and more imposing structures caused the place to rank as a town and receive its name as Auburn. Through all the mutations of the place, in prosperity and adversity, Mr. F. remained a permanent resident, and as a builder with his own hands has erected many of the pleasant homes that adorn our pretty mountain village. His amiable disposition and kindliness of heart never failed to secure him the respect and esteem of all men, and in his death all feel that a good and upright man has fallen. The funeral ceremonies were conducted by the Odd Fellow, in which fraternity he had filled important positions.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Tuesday, 7-18-1967
2nd Loomis Serviceman Dies in Vietnam

A second Loomis serviceman, Daniel R. Flansaas, has died in Vietnam fighting. The 20-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Nels W. Flansaas is the second Loomis fatality in Vietnam in a week. He was killed July 14 after having been assigned to the 26th Infantry in Charley Company. Army Spec. 4 Flansaas left for Vietnam in February and was scheduled for return home within a six-month period. Parents of the boy learned he was hit by mortar in his base camp. He was graduated from Bella Vista High School in 1965 and went into the army in October the following year. Funeral services are pending.

Roseville Register, Friday, 5-28-1915
Neck Broken in Auto Accident – Machine Turns Turtle, Falls on Victim and Neck Breaks, Passenger Escapes Injury

J. F. Fleischer, a real estate man of Pleasant Grove, was instantly killed Thursday afternoon when his Ford automobile turned turtle five miles north of the city, pinioning him under the machine. A part of the machine struck Mr. Fleischer across the neck, and it was broken. Mr. Fleischer had been transacting business in Roseville and was on his way home when the accident occurred. From the story gathered from the passenger who was with him in the machine, it appears that something happened which caused the machine to “wabble.” He says they were traveling along on a smooth road when the machine started to run from side to side and before it could be stopped or brought under control, it had hit a small ditch on the side and turned turtle. The passenger was thrown free of the wreck. It is believed that a broken steering gear was the cause of the accident. Fleischer leaves a wife to mourn his untimely death. The body will be shipped to Sacramento for cremation. Mr. Fleischer had devoted a great deal of time to the building up of Pleasant Grove and was generally credited with having made it the thriving little city that it is.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-30-1914
Popular Lincoln Man Passes Away

The death of Albert Charles Fleming occurred in Lincoln last week and was very much regretted by the large number of friends of the deceased. Mr. Fleming was a very popular man and had taken a prominent part in the civic and municipal affairs of the Clay City. He was 41 years old and was the son of Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Fleming. He had spent practically his entire life in Lincoln and was honored and respected by all. He is survived by a wife and three young children. For years, the deceased was the agent for the Southern Pacific at Lincoln, but soon after the death of his father he resigned this position, and he and his sister took up their father’s insurance business. Two years ago, he was elected city clerk and assessor, a position he was filling efficiently at the time of his death.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 1-23-1914
In Memoriam

Albert Charles Fleming is dead. His noble generous soul answered the final summons on Monday morning. The news of his sudden and unexpected death came as a violent shock to all, for all knew that a day or two previous he had been about the streets, attending to his usual duties, seemingly in the best of health. And every heart was filled with grief for everybody like Al Fleming. On Thursday of last week, he went to Sacramento to attend to some business where he was taken ill that evening. He did not realize the seriousness of his condition and was not removed from the hotel to the hospital until Friday afternoon following a visit from Dr. Fabre-Rajotte. Although Mr. Fleming’s condition was considered almost hopeless as the result of a violent attack of appendicitis, there was a ray of hope in an operation, which was quickly performed. The shock, however, was too great for Mr. Fleming’s frail constitution to withstand, despite the heroic battle to save his life, his own sublime courage and the tender ministrations of his devoted wife and sister. He rallied after the operation and was conscious until a short time before his spirit passed down the pathway into the Valley of Peace. As he neared the end, something akin to a smile illuminated his face, and he sent a message of blessing to his feeble mother in Los Angeles who was unable to be with him. It was a taken of the serenity, the resignation, and the consciousness of that preparation which brings peace with God and all mankind. Albert Charles Fleming was born in Lincoln and had lived here his entire life. He was 41 years, 10 months, and 16 days old. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Fleming, pioneer Lincolnites. His father preceded him to the grave five years ago. He is survived by a wife; three young children, Carlile, Lorraine and Albert; his aged mother; an only sister, Miss Elizabeth Fleming; and an aunt, Mrs. Anna Steer of Los Angeles, and other relatives elsewhere. For years the deceased was the agent of the Southern Pacific Company here but soon after the death of his father, he resigned this position and he and his sister took up their father’s insurance and real estate business and other interests here. Two years ago he was elected City Clerk and Assessor, a position he was most efficiently filling at the time of his death. Mr. Fleming would have been appointed postmaster at Lincoln when the term of the present incumbent expired, as he had received the endorsements and recommendations which positively assured him of the appointment. The deceased was a member of Gold Hill Lodge No. 32, F&AM, and the Independent Order of Foresters. The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon from his late residence, Rev. Father McNaboe officiating. Many floral pieces were sent. Around the casket was a solid bank of these floral emblems of esteem and sympathy. All business in Lincoln was suspended during the services. The ladies of the Eastern Star, of which the deceased was a member, sang softly. His body was laid to rest in the Odd Fellows Cemetery beneath the blossoms of those who loved him with a sincerity a thousand times more beautiful than the flowers they heaped above his last abiding place.
in the home and in the circles where her diligent devotion proved a rich blessing.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 5-2-1930
Dr. H. D. Fletcher, Pioneer of City, Called by Death

Funeral services will be held from the Broyer & Magner Chapel at 2:30 tomorrow for Dr. Henry D. Fletcher, 54, who died Wednesday night at the Sutter Hospital, Sacramento, after an illness of several days. Rev. W. Irvin Williams, pastor of the Presbyterian Church, will officiate at the funeral. Interment will be at Rocklin Cemetery. Dr. Fletcher, a native of Maine, had lived in California 48 years, most of the time in Rocklin and Roseville. After his graduation from the Rocklin schools, he was graduated from the San Jose Normal School in 1894 with honors. He taught school at Pleasant Grove and in 1896 entered Cooper Medical College at San Francisco, graduating in 1899. He opened an office in North Bloomfield, Nevada County, and later moved to Rocklin. For a number of years, he acted as physician and surgeon for the Southern Pacific Company. He moved to Roseville in 1910. He was married December 11, 1911, to Miss Clara E. Anderson, who was born in Rocklin. She survives him. Dr. Fletcher was a nephew of the late Loren Fletcher, owner of the Minneapolis Tribune, who served five terms as a congressman.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 11-15-1929
Old-Time Placer Man Dies in Sutter

John Fletcher, who died at his home near Pleasant Grove Monday and was buried in the cemetery there Wednesday, was an old-time Placer County man, having been born on a ranch in Central District some 65 years ago of pioneer parents who came west from Pennsylvania in the early 50’s. Fletch had spent all of his life in Placer and Sutter counties. He and his father at one time farmed a vast acreage of what is now Riverva__ lands. He is survived by two sisters, Miss Lizzie Fletcher, who lives on the old home ranch, and Mrs. E. Decker of Pleasant Grove.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 10-4-1917

Roy Fletcher of Newcastle died in Oakland, October 1, at the age of 35. The funeral was held at Newcastle Wednesday. He leaves a wife and one child to mourn his death. He was a native of California and born near Newcastle. Guy West had charge of the funeral arrangements, and interment was made in the Newcastle Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 7-24-1929
Dannie Flint Funeral Held Friday Afternoon

Little Dannie Flint, son of Leon and Eimie Flint of 225 Irene Avenue, who passed away at the Auburn Hospital July 17, was buried from the Broyer & Magner Chapel at 2:30 Friday. Rev. C. H. Hobart of Sacramento, formerly pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of this city, was the officiating clergyman. Two beautiful hymns were rendered by a trio composed of Mrs. I. B. Robison, Mrs. C. Copeland, and Louis Baker. A wealth of floral offerings testified to the love and sympathy of the many relatives and friends. Interment was in the Roseville Cemetery. Four young cousins of the little fellow acted as casket-bearers:  Ernest Smith, Lloyd Brown, Donald Flint, and Leroy Flint. An older brother, Richard, aged 7, and the grief-stricken parents are the immediate survivors. Relatives from out of town who attended the funeral were:  Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Smith of Oakland, Fred Smith of San Jose, John Flint and William White of Cool, and Mr. and Mrs. Leland Flint of Sacramento.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 11-9-1861
Murder at Dutch Flat

On Monday morning, a German by the name of Lewis Fogle was murdered at Dutch Flat. A correspondent of the Sacramento Union gives the following account of it:

"This morning Louis Fogle, a respectable German resident of this place, was found lying dead in his garden, directly under his bedroom window. It appears from evidence before the Coroner’s jury that he was called up about half past one this morning by some man unknown. The neighbors heard loud, angry talk at his house. Blood was discovered (though in small quantities, the wounds bleeding mostly internally) in the front next to the street, which was traced on the fence over which they climbed to reach the garden and on the leaves of the rose bushes which they passed to the place where he fell. When found, he was lying across a walk which ran parallel with the house, with no clothing on but his shirt, his limbs covered with mud as though he had had some hard struggling with his murderer on the ground. Several parties are arrested on suspicion, but on what real grounds, I am unable to learn".

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 2-26-1930
Edward R. Folger, 71, Dies at Bakersfield

Edward R. Folger, a resident of Rocklin and Roseville for many years and well known among Southern Pacific employees, died at the home of his nephew, Frank L. Hogeboom, in Bakersfield Saturday, February 22, where he had gone three weeks ago for a visit. During late years, he had held a position as watchman at the Lincoln Street crossing. He had resided for the last four or five years at a home on the J. E. Beckwith property. He was 71 years of age. He suffered a stroke of apoplexy last Tuesday. Funeral services were held in Sacramento. The body was cremated, and interment made in that city yesterday. He had never married. One sister, Mrs. Susie Clow of Santa Cruz, survives him.

Auburn Journal, Wednesday, 2-24-1975
Bliss H. Forbes, 78, of Dutch Flat, died February 23 in a Roseville Hospital following a short illness. No services were held. Cremation and inurnment in the family plot in the Dutch Flat Masonic Cemetery were under the direction of Quinn's Sierra Chapel of Colfax. Mr. Forbes was born in San Jose and was a retired foreman of the signal department for the Southern Pacific Railroad Co., having last served on the Coast Division for more than 30 years. He was an army veteran of World War I and a member of the Watsonville Veterans of Foreign Wars post. He also was a member of King David Lodge No. 209, F&AM, of San Luis Obispo and Placer Chapter No. 49, Order of Eastern Star, Dutch Flat. He is survived by a sister, Mrs. Orra Olesen of Dutch Flat.

FOSTER, Mrs. E. L.
Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 9-19-1928
Mother of Mrs. E. L. Cooper Died in Ophir Sunday

Mrs. E. L. Cooper was called suddenly last Thursday morning to the bedside of her mother, Mrs. Foster, at Ophir. Mrs. Foster passed away Sunday morning, her death being caused from heart failure. She was past 70 years of age. She has resided for many years in the family home at Ophir, an unmarried son making his home with her. Several other children also survive here. Lloyd Cooper of Oakland, a nephew, attended the funeral, which was held Tuesday at 10 AM from the Auburn Catholic Church. Burial was in the Auburn Cemetery.

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 12-4-1929
Funeral Is Held Here for Five-Year-Old Boy

Funeral services were held from the Broyer & Magner chapel Friday for Emmett Foster, 5-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Foster of 306 Judah Street. Rev. Harry W. O’Kane, pastor for the Methodist Church, conducted the services. The boy died Thursday of pneumonia after an illness of three days. His parents have been here but three months. The father is employed by the Pacific Fruit Express.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 4-17-1929
Local S. P. Engineer Passed Away Suddenly in Sacramento April 13 – J. N. Foster Dies on Operating Table at S. P. Emergency Hospital – Funeral Services Yesterday

Friends in Roseville and elsewhere were greatly shocked to learn of the sudden death of Joseph N. Foster, local S. P. locomotive fireman, which occurred in Sacramento on Saturday, April 13, at the Southern Pacific emergency hospital. The deceased had undergone an operation for the removal of his tonsils at the S. P. General Hospital in San Francisco five days before his death. Upon his return to Roseville, an abscess formed and infection started, making it necessary to go to the hospital on Saturday for an operation. The patient passed away on the operating table. Deceased was born in Grass Valley, May 10, 1897. Seven years ago he was united in marriage with Hazel F. Dost. He is survived by his wife and his mother, Mrs. Emily Stewart of Grass Valley. He was a member of Sacramento Lodge No. 58, B. of L. F. and E., the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and Roseville Lodge No. 1293, Loyal Order of Moore, being a Past Dictator of the latter organizations. Funeral services were held Tuesday morning from the chapel of Broyer & Magner, the local Moose lodge having charge. Interment was made at Grass Valley.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 12-15-1877
A Child Fatally Burned While at Play

Wednesday afternoon between four and five o’clock, four children were playing together on the hill a short distance back of Mr. C. A. Foster’s place, about half a mile below Ophir. Two of them belonged to Mr. Foster, and two to Mr. R. B. Symington, his next neighbor. The children, in their play, came upon the smoldering embers of a fire which remained after the burning of some brushwood. Katie Foster undertook to fan the fire with her little brother’s hat, stooping over as she did so. Her dress thus caught fire, and the poor child ran about screaming frantically. Mrs. Foster heard the cries and rushing out sought to extinguish the flames which, however, she did not succeed in doing until a blanket was obtained from the house. By this time, however, nearly every vestige of clothing on the poor little tortured victim had been either burned or torn off. The child was taken home and as tenderly cared for by the neighbors as their opportunities would permit. Dr. Shackleton of this town was immediately sent for and, being courteously invited to take a seat in his buggy, we accompanied him to the scene of the occurrence. An examination by the doctor showed that the limbs about the knees, together with the back, the arms, and a part of the face, were of a blackish-brown color, the flesh being literally baked. Notwithstanding her condition, she did not appear to suffer very much; only at times while the doctor was applying an ointment which he had taken with him would she cry out in pain. We were much amazed at the fortitude she displayed. She was entirely conscious. She asked for a drink several times and requested the attendants to let her go to sleep. She seemed also to have considerable strength left, turning herself over in the bed when it was found necessary to do so. The case is a sad one, the prevalent belief being that she can scarcely recover, and that if she does, she may be crippled for life by the contraction of some of the sinews. Mrs. Foster had her hands severely burned while trying to save her child and was unable to do much for her. Fortunately, the kind-hearted, active sympathy of her neighbors leaves nothing to be desired in this respect. The family has had quite a series of minor domestic misfortunes to contend with during the past season, all of their five children having been taken with the diphtheria, one of them being quite sick of it even now. Since the above was written, we learn that the child died Wednesday morning. She was buried from the Catholic Church in this town yesterday at two o’clock. The remains were followed to the grave by about sixty persons.

Roseville Press-Tribune, 2-2-1996
Marie Marguerite Foster, May 4, 1930 – Jan. 29, 1996

A memorial service will begin at 10 AM Saturday at St. Mark’s Anglican Church, 5983 Webb St. in Loomis, for Marie Marguerite Foster, who died in Penryn Monday at the age of 65. A native of Huntsville, Texas, Mrs. Foster was a 28-year-resident of Penryn. She was a librarian for 25 years at Encina High School in Sacramento, and she enjoyed golfing, horseback riding, and travel. Inurnment will be at East Lawn Memorial Park in Sacramento under the direction of Reichert’s Funeral Service in Citrus Heights. Mrs. Foster is survived by her son, Mark Hopkins of Shingle Springs; a brother, Frank Cowell of Texas; her companion of 16 years, Rod Beretta of Penryn; and two grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society, 415 Oak Street, Roseville, 95678, or the Auburn Faith Hospice, 11760 Atwood Road, Auburn, 95603-9075.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 9-26-1928
Robert Archie Foster

Funeral services for Robert Archie Foster were held at the Citrus Heights Friends Church Monday, September 24, 1928, at 1:30 PM. Rev. Blaine Bronner, pastor, read the service. Burial was in the Sylvan Cemetery. Broyer & Magner conducted the funeral. Robert Archie Foster was born in Frankfort, Kentucky, August 9, 1847. At an early age he moved to Haddan, Kansas, where he grew to manhood and was united in marriage with Henrietta F. Turnipseed. This union was blessed with six children, Margaret, Christopher, Walter, Ina Dell, Bessie, and Cecile. Mr. and Mrs. Foster came to California eight years ago and settled in Roseville. Five years ago they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at the Friends Church at Sylvan, where a host of friends and relatives paid tribute to this beautiful union. Their love and devotion for each other was remarkably noted. His Christianity, cheery disposition, and personality were like a ray of light to all who knew him. He was ever ready to lend a helping hand and a kind word, which will long be remembered by many. After a lingering illness of several months, Mr. Foster passed away Saturday, September 22, at his home in the eastern part of the city. He was 81 years of age. He leaves to mourn his memory his aged wife, Henrietta, and four children, Mrs. Bessie Pletcher of Sacramento, Mrs. Cecile Magee of Los Angeles, Mrs. Ina Byfield of Rocklin, Walter Foster of Clinto, Oklahoma, and five grandchildren, Mazell Pletcher, Elmer, Lloyd, Kenneth, and Henrietta Byfield.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 6-8-1878

A young man named John Fowler was accidentally killed on Monday last at Ira Avery’s saw-mill about five miles from Emigrant Gap. Deceased together with some other men were in the mill-yard handling some heavy logs. The chain of the bull-wheel, which was around the legs, was suddenly jerked and one of the logs rolled onto Fowler, crushing and killing him almost instantly. He was about 26 years of age and married, but without children. He was buried at Alta on Tuesday.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 9-7-1928
Mrs. Carl Fox Passed Away Wednesday Night – Funeral Services Will Be Held Saturday Forenoon

Mrs. Annette Fox passed peacefully away at her home on Sierra Boulevard about midnight Wednesday, September 5, 1928, following an illness of many months’ duration. Funeral services will be held at the chapel of Broyer & Magner at 11 o’clock Saturday forenoon and will be conducted by Rev. W. R. Steelberg of Sacramento. Interment will be in the Roseville Odd Fellows Cemetery. Mrs. Fox was informed by her physician about two years ago that she was affected with cancer. Being an energetic woman of strong determination, she made a valiant fight for her life and was apparently winning until some months ago it became evident that she was waging a losing battle. She never gave up hope, however, until a few months ago. During her severe trial, she was a patient sufferer and ever maintained her cheerful disposition which was one of the outstanding traits of her character. Being the member of a family intensely devoted to one another, she kept her own suffering in the background and was ever anxious for the welfare of the other members of the family as well as her neighbors and friends. Mrs. Fox was a daughter of the late Joseph L. And Eva Florence Zuver, the father having preceded her in death on December 24, 1926. Besides her mother and husband, Carl Fox, she leaves to mourn her demise three brothers, Oren and Joseph Zuver of Richmond, and Merrill Zuver of Roseville, and two sisters, Mrs. S. H. Woods of Sacramento and Mrs. A. J. Schwestka of Roseville, and many friends who by her kindly deeds will hold her in loving remembrance. Mrs Fox was born in Sacramento fifty years ago and has lived in Roseville for about twenty years.

FOX, Mr.
Placer Herald, Auburn, Saturday, 12-14-1895
Shooting at Westville

Word was received Monday of the shooting and killing of a man named Fox by M. J. Cameron at Westville. Mr. Cameron is the postmaster and hotel keeper at Westville. He claims the shooting was done in self-defense. Deputy Sheriff McFadden and Deputy Coroner Maltby of Forest Hill were telegraphed by their superior officers at the county seat, and they drove up to Westville Tuesday. The Coroner’s jury returned a verdict of self-defense and completely exonerated Cameron. Fox was crazy and threatened to kill the whole Cameron household. He took one of the little boys and threw him violently to the ground. Cameron and the old shoemaker at the place attempted to tie the crazy man but he got away. Cameron went in the house and armed himself, and when the crazy man tried to enter the house, he shot him in the arm. The two men grappled, and Cameron was getting the worst of it when he shot Fox in the abdomen. The wound was fatal. Fox had been making shakes in that locality for several months past. No one knew much about him, but we understand he lived at Rocklin at one time.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 5-23-1928
Mrs. Jessie Franklin Succumbs to Pneumonia

Jessie Franklin of Roseville, wife of Jesse Franklin and mother of little two-year-old Irene Franklin, died at her parents’ home in Vacaville early Thursday morning from typhoid-pneumonia. Funeral services were held in Vacaville Sunday, May 20, at 2:00 PM and were attended by Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Starratt and children, Jack and Marion. Mrs. Franklin was a young matron in her early twenties who came to Roseville this spring with her husband and daughter and lived on Clinton Avenue in a new cottage owned by Mr. and Mrs. M. C. Hewitt. Mr. Franklin is a mechanic at the Dodge garage, owned by Mr. Starratt for whom he worked in Vacaville prior to the purchase of the Dodge agency here. Mrs. Franklin was taken ill here about a month ago, and her mother came up from Vacaville three weeks ago and removed her to her home. Two physicians from Woodland as well as the local doctors were called on the case, but after lingering more than a week in an unconscious condition, she finally succumbed to the dread disease.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 5-19-1877
Death of Mrs. I. W. Franklin

Ed. Argus:--It is with deep regret that I chronicle the death of Mrs. I. W. Franklin, the wife of one of our most respected citizens, who died on Tuesday, the 8th instant at noon after the short illness of four days. Her death was unexpected to all and cast a deep gloom over the whole community. Mrs. Franklin was from Jackson County, Missouri, and has lived among us for seven years, during which time, by her quiet and gentle manner and her many noble qualities, she had endeared herself to all who knew her. She performed all her duties like one who felt the responsibility of living and the necessity of being well prepared for that future where “the wicked cease from troubling and the weary are at rest.” The funeral took place on Wednesday. The remains were taken to the Odd Fellows Hall, Roseville, where the funeral sermon was preached, attended by a very large number of sympathizing friends, every available conveyance in the town being brought into requisition, so eager were those who knew her to pay the last tribute of respect to one they esteemed so highly while living and so sincerely mourned when dead. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Larkin of the M. E. Church, of which the deceased was a member, and was based upon the passage of scripture contained in the 18th verse of the 8th chapter, St. Paul’s Epistle to the Romans. After the services in the hall were concluded, her remains were taken to the Odd Fellows Cemetery where the last sad rites were performed and the body committed to the earth, there to rest until God shall call together his elect and precious ones and take them home. Loving hands strewed the grave with flowers, and many were the expressions of sorrow by those who stood around her grave.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 11-1-1879
Roseville Letter

William M. Franks, an old resident of this vicinity, passed away last Sunday morning. Typhoid fever was the cause of his death. Mr. Franks had reached the ripe age of 76 years. As his father lived to see his hundred and eleventh year; and his grandfather, his hundred and fourteenth, Mr. Franks died, comparatively, in the prime of life.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Tuesday, 8-16-1966

Allen Henry Frederick, 65, for the past 17 years an employee at Weimar Medical Center, died August 15 in Auburn. A native of Iowa, he came to Auburn 20 years ago. He was a past president of the Weimar Medical local, AFL-CIO. Survivors include his wife, Leonora Frederick of Auburn; a son, Charles Frederick of Minnesota; a daughter, Mrs. Betty Mitchell of Marysville; two brothers, Edward of Wisconsin and Theodore of Minnesota; and a sister, Malinda Olson of Minnesota. Services will be Thursday at 2 PM in the Chapel of the Hills, Auburn, with the Rev. Clarence Freeman officiating. Burial will be in the new Auburn District Cemetery.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 7-17-1929
Funeral Held Sunday for Mrs. Amanda Freed

Funeral services were held at the Methodist Church in Newcastle Sunday afternoon for Mrs. Amanda H. Freed, aged 73 years, who died Friday afternoon at the family residence in Sacramento after a brief illness. The deceased is survived by a husband, C. V. Freed of Sacramento, and three daughters, Mrs. Portia F. Moss of Auburn, county superintendent of schools; Mrs. Vera Hawkins of Newcastle; and Mrs. Alice Tammen of Sacramento. Mr. and Mrs. Freed came to Placer County in 1890 from the east, and until two years ago resided at their orchard properties in the Newcastle district. The deceased was a native of Pennsylvania.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 4-6-1928
Father of Mrs. Fred O’Dell Passed Away Here Tuesday

The death of B. J. Freeze occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Fred O’Dell, 310 Roseville Street on Tuesday, April 3, 1928, at the age of over 78 years. The remains will be shipped today to Armstrong, British Columbia, and will be accompanied by his daughter, Mrs. A. T. Giles of Los Angeles. Funeral services will be held at Armstrong upon arrival there, where a son, J. R. Freeze, resides. Short services were held in private at the chapel of Broyer & Magner yesterday afternoon. Mr. Freeze was born in New Brunswick, British Columbia, on August 18, 1849, and would have been 79 years of age in August of this year. He came here last fall to spend the winter with his daughter, and Mrs. Giles was here from Los Angeles, also to spend the winter in the O’Dell home, both being at his bedside when he passed away. Mr. Freeze leaves to mourn his passing, two daughters and one son:  Mrs. O’Dell of Roseville, Mrs. A. T. Giles of Los Angeles, and J. R. Freeze of Armstrong, BC.

Sacramento Daily Union, 07-13-1857

At Doten's Bar, Placer county, July 11th, F.B. French, a native of New Hampshire, aged 32 years.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 1-13-1877
Death of an Old Citizen

Chas. J. Friend, an old and well-known citizen of this county, died on Tuesday, January 9th, at the residence of his son-in-law, F. A. Edler, in this place. Mr. Friend came to California in 1849 and has been a resident of Placer County ever since. He was 78 years old at the time of his death. The funeral took place on Thursday at 10 o’clock, and a large number of the old friends of the deceased followed his remains to that last resting place in Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 10-4-1862

Died in Michigan Bluff, September 27th, of Hemorrhage of the Lungs, Capt. S. J. Frisbie, aged 40 years. The subject of this sketch was born in Mercer County, Pennsylvania. While yet very young, he became Clerk and subsequently Captain of a steamboat on the Mississippi River. Being of an adventurous disposition, the excitement incident to the discovery of gold in California led him thither, where he has resided for the last twelve years; variously occupied in mining, merchandising, and, I believe, for a while commander of one of the Sacramento River steamers. Knowing him long and intimately, I can bear willing testimony to his worth as a citizen. His urbanity and unostentatious liberality to the needy, allied to a keen sense of honor, as pure as it was exalted, commanded for him while living the respect of friends and acquaintances; but though dead, his memory is still cherished with remembrances of gratitude and fidelity by his friends.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 10-30-1929
Railroad Inquiry Looms into Cause of Fatal Accident

Calling of a board of inquiry to determine responsibility for the accident at Lincoln Monday night which killed Brakeman F. K. Frith and injured two other trainmen loomed yesterday. That somebody blundered seemed to be the general opinion of railroad men, causing the uncoupled caboose on the platform on which Frith and Matt Langston were standing, to be struck with such force that both men were thrown from the car. Frith was thrown under the wheels and his body cut in two. Langston was thrown off to roll down an embankment, receiving bruises and cuts. Conductor E. E. Larrison, standing in the door of the caboose, was thrown against the wall and both of his arms were injured. At the trainmaster’s office yesterday, it was said there is no authoritative information to be given out as to how the accident occurred. It was indicated that an official inquiry will be made, and until that time officials will remain silent. Frith was a native of Kansas and had been a resident of Roseville nearly ten years. He served in France during the World War. He is survived by his wife Julia. Funeral services are to be held from the Broyer & Magner Chapel at 10 o’clock Thursday morning, the services being conducted by the Rev. T. H. Mee of Sacramento. Interment will be at Chico Cemetery at 3:30. Trainmen will act as pallbearers.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 11-1-1929
Funeral Is Held for Train Accident Victim

Funeral services were held yesterday for Frederick K. Frith, who was killed in a switching accident at Lincoln early Tuesday morning. Rev. T. H. Mee of Sacramento conducted the funeral from the chapel of Broyer & Magner. Burial was at Chico yesterday afternoon. The funeral services were largely attended by trainmen, and pallbearers were selected from this group. Members of the American Legion, of which the deceased was a member, also attended. Frith had lived in Roseville nearly ten years, employed all of that time by the Southern Pacific Company. He leave, besides his widow, a son by a former marriage.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 11-8-1929
Inquest Jury Fixes No Blame for Death

A verdict of accidental death was rendered here Wednesday night by a coroner’s jury sitting in the case of Frederick K. Frith, Southern Pacific brakeman who was willed in a switching accident at Lincoln last week. The jury declined to place any blame for the accident. Engineer C. D. Hite and Brakeman Parramore were witnesses at the inquest. Parramore said he signaled the engineer to stop after he saw the caboose on which Frith was standing was about to be struck with too much force. Hite declared that he did not see the stop signal. Frith was thrown from the caboose platform under the wheels of the train. Conductor E. E. Larrison was thrown against the side of the caboose and had both of his arms injured. Brakeman Matt Langston was thrown from the platform and down an embankment. His head was injured where he struck a handrail on the caboose platform, and his face was bruised and cut.

Sacramento Daily Union, 11 Apr 1859

At Dutch Flat, Placer county, March 29th, Frances Eugenia, daughter of Jacob N. and Jane E. Fuller

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 4-17-1875

Drowned - A correspondent of the Truckee Republican writing from Dutch Flat on the 6th inst. says that a bright and interesting little fellow of six summers, Jakey Fuller, son of the station keeper, was sent by his mother on an errand to a neighbor who lived across the Miners’ Ditch, into which he fell and was drowned. The body was found soon after, a quarter of a mile below the house. Dr. Bluett was hastily sent for and did everything in his power to resuscitate him, but without avail.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 11-4-1876
Sudden Death

Richard Fuller, an old resident of this county, died suddenly in his wagon, near Emigrant Gap last Monday. He had been exposed to the weather and was thoroughly chilled, and being in feeble health, did not possess vitality sufficient to carry him through. He got out of his wagon and got a drink about an hour before he died. The remains were taken to Lincoln and buried. Mr. Fuller was one of the oldest residents of the county, having settled here about 1850.