Obituaries - E

Today is: part of CA GenWeb



Below you will find a complilation of obituaries gathered from various newspapers throughout Placer County. If YOU have an obituary for a Placer County resident and would like to addit to this collection, please contact the county coorinators.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Wednesday, 11-28-1951
Funeral Today for Harry Eads

Funeral services for Harry C. Eads, 67-year-old Roseville automobile dealer, are slated for 2 PM today in Lambert Funeral Home. Cremation will follow in East Lawn, Sacramento. Eads was a native of Crawfordsville, Indiana, residing here for the past three years at 620 Pleasant Street. He had the Nash agency, Roseville Motors, on Vernon Street. He died Saturday at Auburn. Survivors are a daughter, Mrs. Mary P. Murray of Sacramento, and a son, Don Eads of Roseville.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 3-5-1930
James A. Eckles, 73, of Loomis Succumbs

James Albert Eckles, 73, and a native of Iowa, died at his home near Loomis Saturday. Eckles made his home between Loomis and Porterville for a number of years but had been residing at Loomis for the last three years. Surviving are his widow, Mrs. Mary Eckles, and a daughter, Mrs. Adaline. Rev. W. E. Eckles is a brother of the deceased. Funeral services were held at the Loomis Congregational Church Tuesday morning, Rev. E. O. Chapel of Grass Valley officiating.

Roseville Register, Friday, 4-9-1915

The funeral of Chas. M. Edwards was held Sunday, April 4th from West Harmer’s Chapel Parlor and was attended by a record crowd of friends and relatives, as Mr. Edwards had worked among the local boys since Roseville was in its infancy as a railroad terminal. Mr. Edwards was a native of Illinois, was 38 years of age, and left a wife and two small children to mourn their loss. Rev. Bone of the Presbyterian Church delivered a very interesting sermon over the remains, and the choir from his church rendered two selections of the widow’s choicer. The Order of Railway Conductors, The Ladies’ Auxiliary to the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and The Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen were represented in the procession which marched from the chapel to the railroad station. The deceased was a member of the B. of R. T. and the O. R. R. The Edwards home in the Cherry Glen district is one of the neatest and coziest homes in Roseville and demonstrates Mr. Edwards’ tastes and love of home life. After the services, the body was taken to Sacramento on No. 27, accompanied by Mr. West and some of the members of the B. of R. T., where it was cremated according to the wishes of the deceased. There are few railroad men in Roseville whose death would call out the attendance at a funeral that attended the services of Mr. Edwards.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 12-5-1928
Death of Well Known Placer County Woman

Funeral services were held Tuesday morning, November 27, 1928, for Mrs. Mattie Louisa Edwards of Clipper Gap who passed away at a Roseville sanitarium on the Saturday night previous from an attack of influenza. The funeral services, conducted by Broyer & Magner, were held from the Baptist Church in Auburn. Interment was in the Auburn Cemetery. Pall bearers were C. D. White, W. J. White, J. R. Sharp, John Flint, and Clyde Orr of Roseville and William Schooly of Clipper Gap. Mrs. Edwards was a native if Iowa and had just passed her fifty-ninth birthday. She had lived in the vicinity of Auburn for twenty years, first at Cool and the last fourteen years at Clipper Gap. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband, W. J. Edward of Clipper Gap; her daughter, Mrs. Ralph Sedgwick of Oakland; a sister, Mrs. W. L. McNutt of Grants Pass, Oregon; and a brother, Dave Benn of Long Beach; and a number of nieces and nephews, besides a host of friends. She was of a bright, cheery, lovable disposition and made friends with everybody. The large number of beautiful floral offerings testified to the esteem in which she was held. Following the funeral services, Mrs. Sedgwick, who had been in Roseville during her mother’s illness as a guest of Mrs. Earl Atwater, returned to her home in Oakland accompanied by her father who will remain with her for some time.

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 12-18-1929
Private Funeral Held for R. H. Eggert Infant

Private funeral services were held Monday afternoon for Charles Francis Eggert, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Eggert, who died shortly after birth Sunday night. Interment was at Sylvan Cemetery. Mrs. Eggert yesterday was reported resting well.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 3-14-1874

Fatal Accident - On Thursday last week a painful and fatal accident occurred near Carson City by which Herman A. Eicke of Placer was almost instantly killed. The circumstances, so far as we can learn, are about as follows:  On the day above mentioned, Herman and another man (who were in the employ of the Virginia City Water Company located about seven miles from Carson at the head of the water company’s works) went down the mountains on snowshoes to the Lake View House near Carson to grind their axes wherewith to cut some wood, and on their return home over the mountains, Herman lost one of his snowshoes which slid down the hill almost out of sight. He turned back and tried to recover the missing shoe and in passing down the hill, the snow had drifted and filled up an excavation that had existed in the slide of the hill, about eight feet deep, and upon striking this point, his snowshoe tripped and broke in the snow, at the same time throwing him down on his face and doubling up both legs under him at the knees. At the same time about two or three feet of snow slid down and he was perfectly covered from sight. The man who accompanied him, instead of trying to dig the poor fellow out of the snow with his snowshoes, either through fear or forgetfulness, ran back to the Lake View House for help, which almost consumed an hour’s time, and on the return of help, the unfortunate young man was dug out only two feet from the surface, the body being still warm but life was extinct. Herman A. Eicke was born and raised at Doty’s Flat in Placer, aged twenty years, and is highly spoken of by his employers as being a good, trustworthy, and competent young man. His loss is greatly felt by his sorrowing mother and the many young associates he had formed in Placer County during his life. He was buried on Sunday last in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Auburn.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Wednesday, 10-3-1951
Sheriff Killed Instantly as Car Skids on Wet Tahoe Road, Plunges Down Bank

Public funeral services for Sheriff Bill Elam, 46, whose life was snuffed out suddenly in a tragic automobile accident Monday afternoon near Lake Tahoe will be conducted at 2 PM Friday in Broyer’s Mortuary. Burial will be in Roseville District Cemetery. His death came at 3:45 PM Monday when his automobile crashed through a guard rail and rolled down a 60-foot embankment on Dollar Hill, three and a half miles east of Tahoe City. Highway Patrolman Tom Sheehan reported Elam’s body was found about 30 feet away from the car in a clump of brush. The car was demolished. It was reported that Elam suffered a broken neck and died instantly. Elam was en route to King’s Beach to appoint two deputies. Poor communications delayed transmission of the news of Elam’s death until nearly two hours later when Highway Patrol Captain George Peterkin was notified in Roseville. Elam was a member of Odd Fellows, Elks, Redmen, Roseville Exchange Club, Northern California Peace Officers Association, and the California Sheriff’s Association. He first came to Roseville in 1923 from Seminole, Texas, where he was raised and educated. He was born in 1905 in Stanton, Texas. Elam worked for Southern Pacific Railroad and Pacific Fruit Express Company up to 1931 when he went to work as a policeman for the City of Roseville. He was elected police chief at a special election in 1948 following the death of the prior chief, Robert Barnett. Last November, Elam won the sheriff’s election in Placer County, the office he held for only nine months until his death. Survivors include his wife, Cecilia; a son, Lee Berry; a daughter, Patsy Ann; his mother, Mrs. Laura Elam of Roseville; five brothers, John Elam of La Mesa, Texas; Barnie Elam of Seminole, Texas; Bert B. Elam of Sacramento; and Tom and Lee Elam, both of Roseville; and two sisters, Mrs. Gatsey Miller and Mrs. Lucy Compton, both of Roseville.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 4-10-1929
Taps Are Sounded for Simon Elcock, Civil War Veteran – Had Varied Career During a Useful Life – Had Passed 85th Birthday

Simon Frasier Elcock, beloved Civil War veteran of this city, passed peacefully away early Saturday morning, April 6, 1929, at his home on Riverside Avenue after a two weeks’ illness seemingly caused by the infirmities of old age. He had passed his eighty-fifth birthday on February 29th last. Only a few days before the end came the elderly soldier asked that the muzzle loader gun that was his companion through the Civil War days might be brought to his bedside. Another request was that he might be allowed to see and visit with his friend, William H. Rossitter, another Civil War veteran who he fondly called “The Colonel.” The deceased is survived by the following:  his wife, Mrs. Emma Jane Elcock of Roseville; his daughters, Mesdames F. R. Axtell, M. C. Biggerstaff of Roseville, Anna Hadley of Portland, Oregon, and Geo. Brown of The Dalles, Oregon; by his son Robert Elcock of Roseville; and by a half brother and a half sister who reside in Kenyon, Minnesota. Simon Elcock was born in Kemptville, Canada, February 29, 1844. When a lad of ten years of age he moved with his parents to Kenyon, Minnesota, where he resided until 1876. He entered the service of his country first to assist in quelling the Sioux Indians in western Minnesota and Dakota. During this uprising he witnessed the hanging of 40 Indians at one time at Fort Snelling. In the winter of 1862 and ’63, he enlisted in the First Minnesota Mounted Rangers, Company M (Cavalry) under the command of Gen. H. H. Sibley. In the spring of 1863 they entered the campaign against the Indians and after several battles, drove them across the Dakotas and over the Missouri River, the company carrying pontoon bridges to span the rivers. This company experienced a food shortage, and for three days the men ate plums for food. Mr. Elcock received his discharge from the service in the spring of 1864. He then enlisted in the Civil War in Company E, First Minnesota Heavy Artillery. He was sent to Fort Edwin at Chattanooga where he remained until November 27, 1865. Later he returned to Fort Snelling where he received his honorable discharge. After engaging in the lumber business in Wisconsin and Michigan, he left the middle west and came to Omaha in 1876 where he purchased food supplies for a ten-day railroad journey to Sacramento, going by steamer to Portland, and located in Sherman County, Oregon. On May 17, 1881, he was married to Miss Emma Jones Long. They engaged in farming for twenty years and were in the mercantile business for twelve years, after which they moved to Roseville where the couple has resided for the past four years. He was an honorary member of George A. Marshall Camp No. 89, United Spanish War Veterans of Roseville, and the Boy Scouts of Roseville; a Past Commander of Portland Post Grand Army of the Republic and had been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for forty years. He had won a number of medals for his heroic acts and for his many thrilling hair breadth escapes in battling Indians and guerilla bands. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at 2:30 from the chapel of Broyer & Magner. A large concourse of friends and members of the Spanish War Veterans, the American Legion, and Roseville’s only remaining G. A. R. veteran, William H. Rossitter, were present to pay their final tribute to a friend and a brave, true, and patriotic comrade. Rev. T. H. Mee, former pastor of the local Methodist Church and now pastor at Colonial Heights, Sacramento, read a beautiful tribute to the departed veteran and was assisted in the services by Rev. H. E. Wells, pastor of the First Methodist Church. Interment was made in the Spanish War veterans plot in Sylvan Cemetery where the military ceremonies of George A. Marshall Camp No. 89, United Spanish War Veterans, were carried out, assisted by members of Alyn W. Butler Post No. 169 of The American Legion. The services by the veterans’ organizations were the final request of Mr. Elcock. The casket was accompanied to the grave by the colors and Post flags of each organization, color guards, and firing squad composed of members of the veterans’ organizations who also acted as pall bearers with Boy Scout Commissioner W. H. Seaver.


Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 7-3-1929
Funerals Today for Two Drowned Sunday in River

Funeral services will be held today over the bodies of Eli Pieracci and John Eliopolus, Roseville boys who were drowned near Fair Oaks Sunday while swimming in the American River. Funeral services for Eli Pieracci, son of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Pieracci of Elm Street, will be held from Rose Catholic Church at 10 o’clock this morning, the Rev. Father Connor of Auburn officiating. Interment will be at Odd Fellows Cemetery. The funeral of John Eliopolus, son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Eliopolus, will be held at 2:30 from the Broyer & Magner Chapel. The Rev. Father Skufies of Sacramento will officiate. The body will be buried at Odd Fellows Cemetery. The boys, Pieracci, 15, and Eliopolus, 12, were drowned while swimming near the Fair Oaks bridge. Eliopolus apparently was seized with cramps, and his friend Pieracci, who was near him, went to his rescue. The pair locked in a death struggle. The body of Pieracci was discovered floating in the river a few minutes later. A plane from Del Paso Airport, piloted by Ingvald Fagerskog, was impressed into service in the search for Eliopolus’ body. While patrolling the water a half mile below the scene of the drowning, Fagerskog sighted the other body submerged, and it was recovered in a motorboat from Fair Oaks. Louis Guisti, 16, also of Roseville, companion of the drowned boys, narrowly escaped their fate when he went to their rescue. Weakened from his fight to aid the pair, he struggled to the shore and was on the verge of collapse when he reached the bank.

Roseville Tribune, Tuesday, 10-22-1918

Plumb Elliott was born in Westville, Wisconsin, Feb. 27, 1867, and passed from this life at his late residence in Roseville, Oct. 16, 1918, being 51 years, 7 months and 19 days old. The first 19 years of his life were spent in his native state where he had formed many friendships. He then came to California, settling in Placer County near Auburn, where for a number of years he was engaged in mining. There he was united in marriage with Miss Agnes Donald, Nov. 26, 1892. To this devoted couple were born five children, who had proven an increasing comfort as the days went by. After devoting considerable time to mining and lumbering, he moved with his family to Rocklin where he engaged in granite quarrying. It was while working in this occupation his health began to fail about three years ago. For more than half of that time, he waged a losing battle, being confined to his home the past eighteen months. During all of his illness, he tried to be cheerful. Everything that caring hands and medical skill could do was unavailing in delaying the messenger of death. Now, as one looks back over those months and years of infirmities, we would not wish him back. It rather remains for us the living and strong to fulfill, so far as we may, the unfinished tasks. He was a highly respected citizen and always took an interest in public affairs. He was a man of his word and positive conviction. He enjoyed his home and appreciated what was done for him even more than he related. He was cheerful and constantly entertained the fond hope of complete recovery and ability to again pursue the affairs of life as in other days. This anticipation was denied him, while it remains for the unfolding years to reveal our Heavenly Father’s plan. He was an esteemed member of the Rocklin Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, also of the Granite Cutters International Union of the same place. Besides his bereaved widow, he leaves to revere his memory two sons, Ivin D. and Thos. R.; and three daughters, Lucy M., Jessie M., and Ella M.; also two brothers, George of Canada and Watt of Atuohi, Wisconsin; together with many friends throughout Placer County. [Submitter’s note: Cause of death was due to "lung trouble".”

Roseville Register, Thursday, 9-20-1917
Well-Known Farmer of Placer County Dies

AUBURN, Sept. 18 - S. T. Elliot, well-known farmer of Rock Creek district, died last Saturday morning after a residence there of five or six years. He is survived by his wife and several daughters by a former marriage. The body will be shipped to Sacramento for cremation. Mrs. E. M. St. Clair of San Francisco, a daughter, accompanied by her husband, was among the mourners at the bedside. Mr. Elliot was a man highly respected in the community, and his death is deeply regretted by all who knew him.

Roseville Press-Tribune, 1-23-1980

1903-1980. Marvin Vrooman Ellis, born in North Dakota 77 years ago, died Jan. 22 in the Roseville Hospital. He had retired as a pipefitter-plumber and had resided in Roseville for the past eight years. He was a Roseville Senior Citizen Club member. Survivors include four daughters, Ardis Miller of Old Station, CA, Lyle Bertach, Lorraine Jones and Elaine Tong, all of North Dakota; three sons, Alton, Harlan and Dorrel Ellis, all of North Dakota; 30 grandchildren; and 18 great-grandchildren; and a devoted friend, Mrs. Irene Hall of Roseville. He was the father of the late Lloyd Ellis. Memorial services will be Thursday, Jan. 24 at 2 PM at the Orangevale Free Methodist Church, 8790 Oak Avenue, Orangevale. Private interment will be in North Dakota. The Mt. Vernon Mortuary is in charge.

Roseville Register, Friday, 1-3-1919
William Emerson Dies from Fall

William Emerson, well known in this city as a former railroad man, died at Sacramento Saturday night, as the result of a fall from a truck. Emerson, since losing both of his legs in a railroad accident at Lincoln about two years ago, has been engaged in the auto trucking business in Sacramento. Emerson with A. H. Flint, his driver, was returning from a job in Yolo County and was near the long S. P. bridge. While the machine was traveling slowly, it jolted in a rut in the road, throwing Emerson out of the truck. He fell on his head, breaking the skull, from the effects of which he died at the emergency hospital to which place he was immediately taken for relief. Emerson was about 40 years old and a native of Alabama. The funeral was held from the parlors of Arthur Fenton, Sacramento.

Sacramento Bee, 2-16-1942
Pottery Draftsman in Lincoln Dies Suddenly

LINCOLN (Placer Co.) Feb. 16. Amos Engellenner, 44, draftsman at the Gladding McBean and Company plant, died suddenly here this morning of a heart attack. He leaves his wife, Margaret; three sons; and his mother, Mrs. Ingeborg Engellenner of Lincoln. Funeral services are pending.

Sacramento Bee, Monday, 3-31-1997
Eric Engellenner Had a Way With Words

In his 30 years with the Placer County Sheriff’s Department, Lt. Eric Engellenner revealed an unusual gift. With a low-key manner, some kind words, and a listening ear – even for suspects in custody – Mr. Engellenner showed an uncanny ability to get the criminals to talk. “His real strong suit was his ability to be conversant with people,” said Placer County Sheriff Ed Bonner. “You just wanted to talk to this man. And you wanted to confess to him.” Mr. Engellenner, 56, who retired from the Sheriff’s Department in 1995, died of an apparent heart attack Sunday at his home in rural Lincoln. Mr. Engellenner worked in numerous law enforcement roles ranging from SWAT team commander and negotiator to jail supervisor to burglary and homicide detective. He was described by colleagues as a talented investigator and a role model. “This is a big loss,” Bonner said. “I really feel that I lost a mentor today.” Mr. Engellenner, born May 5, 1940, in Sacramento, grew up in Lincoln and played football and baseball at Lincoln High School. After attending Sierra College and then Fresno State University, he joined the US Air Force and worked as a Russian translator monitoring radio transmissions on Air Force intelligence flights near the Soviet border. Mr. Engellenner, who learned Russian through a program at Syracuse University, later was a key investigator for the Sheriff’s Department on crimes involving Russian immigrants. In the early 1980s, Mr. Engellenner was regarded as one of Northern California’s leading law enforcement experts on using hypnosis to help gather witness testimony. A state Supreme Court ruling later banned the use of hypnosis by police agencies. Colleagues say Mr. Engellenner’s true investigative strength was his personality. “He would bring down a suspect, then get him a cup of coffee, offer him a cigarette and treat him like a regular person,” said Placer Sheriff’s Sgt. Keven Besana. “And he got a lot of mileage out of that … He got things by treating people with a little respect rather than throwing his weight around.” After retiring from the Sheriff’s Department, Mr. Engellenner was a sales representative for a mechanical engineering firm. Over the years, Mr. Engellenner also coached Little League baseball and relaxed to classical music. A member of the International Police Association, Mr. Engellenner maintained contacts with police officers from other countries and hosted many at his home. He was planning to travel in May to Europe to visit with German officers he met through the association, said his brother, Jon Engellenner of Roseville. He is survived by his children, Marc and Anne Engellenner of Lincoln; his mother, Margaret K. Schmidt; and sister, Mill Kennedy, also of Lincoln; and brothers Jon, E. L. “Dutch” Engellenner of Carmichael and Jerry Engellenner of Las Vegas. Services are pending.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 6-21-1917
Engman Found Dead in Bed

Axel H. Engman was found dead in bed last week Thursday, death having been caused by heart failure. He was well and in good spirits at noon when he went home for a nap. He was to have gone to work at his usual labors at 6 o’clock, and when he did not show up for work, he was sent for and found as above related. Axel H. Engman was born in Holdridge, Nebraska, in 1882 and was 35 years old at the time of his death. He came to Roseville about 15 years ago and saw the city grow from a trading post to a modern city. He leaves to mourn his death a father and mother, two sisters, and two brothers. The funeral services were held at the Guy E. West Undertaking parlors Monday afternoon, Rev. T. H. Mee of the Methodist Church officiating. There were many beautiful floral pieces and a large number of citizens attended the services of this splendid young man. To the bereaved relatives, many expressions of sympathy have been extended. Interment was had in the IOOF Cemetery. Two sisters came from Denver to attend the funeral, but the aged parents were unable to make the trip.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 8-23-1917
Alfred Engvall Injured; Dies - Motorcycle Accident Proves Fatal - Young Man Succumbs - Others not Seriously Injured

Alfred T. Engvall is dead as the result of a motorcycle accident which took place last Saturday. Engvall, Busby, and one other were taking a spin on a motorcycle with a side-car. Young Engvall was driving the machine. When about half way to Rocklin on the paved highway, the machine suddenly swerved to one side, the side car striking a telegraph pole, throwing the occupants out, Engvall landing on his head and being thrown over on his back. The young man’s head was injured as also was his back. He was unconscious when picked up. He was rushed to a San Francisco hospital for medical aid, but this proved of no avail and he passed away Monday, not having regained consciousness. The other two occupants of the ill-fated machine were only scratched up a little, Mr. Busby complaining of a pain in one hip. The accident is generally accounted for by the fact that Engvall was of a nervous disposition and that when he was driving he suddenly lost control of himself momentarily, and the car swerved off the road. Alfred T. Engvall was 18 years of age. He leaves a mother, father, several brothers, and one sister to mourn his sudden death, as well as a large number of his associates in the yards where he has been employed for some time. The funeral, which was largely attended, was held Wednesday afternoon at the Guy West parlors, Rev. Mee officiating. Interment was had in the IOOF Cemetery, and at the grave the beautiful ritualistic ceremony of the Order of Railway Employee’s, of which he was a member, was read. He leaves to mourn a fond father and a devoted mother; three brothers, Joe, Charles and Axel; and one sister, Mrs. Archie Moyes. The floral offerings were beautiful and profuse and came from many different sources. Six of his companions and co-workers carried the coffin to its last resting place.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 7-11-1874

Died - At Independence Hill, July 1, 1874, Thomas L. Entwistle, a native of New York, aged 22 years 1 month 26 days. Deceased was born in Troy, New York, and at an early age removed with his parents to this state where he has since resided. He was kind and generous to a fault and his noble qualities of head and heart endeared him to a large circle of friends and relatives. His remains were followed to their last resting place by a large concourse of those who knew and respected him. How sad the reflection that love and death should have been born into the same world. How inscrutable the decree of fate which blots out young life in all its promise, health, and innocence which plucks the bud from the parent stem ere yet its crimson lips have kissed the dawn or hidden perfume filled the air. How balmy the consolations that the kingdom of Heaven is of such as die young, whom the poets tell us “the Gods most love.” How sweet the Christian’s dream of reunion with the “loved and lost” in the better world. Such and kindred thoughts were suggested to my mind while assisting at the obsequies of the lamented friend to whose memory is offered this tribute of sorrow. And gazing into his young face paled in death, the thought was irrepressible that in the death of the young was presented a riddle of destiny which vainly challenged solution from the sage, the metaphysician, or the divine. The gentle and genial nature and exemplary deportment of the deceased ever won for him the love and appreciation of his superiors, while his generosity and noble qualities of head and heart doubly endeared him to his companions. Beautiful in life, he was alike beautiful in death; and throughout his lingering illness no murmur escaped his lips, but with patience and sweet abnegation he yielded up his young life. While forbearing to invade the sanctuary of private grief, yet to his anguished mother and kindred the sincere condolence of many fond and dear fiends is hereby tendered, with the heartfelt wish that time and the bright faith of the Christian may bring relief to their bruised spirits. Rest in peace, loved and lamented Tommie; and while a mother’s tears may moisten the mound that marks thy last resting place, may the dews of Heaven refresh thy immortal spirit.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 10-16-1919
Despondent Man Takes own Life

Chas Esco, late of Leadville, Colorado, walked into the lavatory of the Barker Hotel last night, placed a 41-calibre pistol in his mouth, and fired, causing instant death. Esco had come from his home in Colorado to Loomis, this state, to seek relief from tuberculosis, and learning that the dread disease had a strong hold on him, grew despondent and ended his life. He was about 40 years old and carried on his person bank paper to the value of $3,600. A brother and sister residing the other side of Rocklin came here last night to arrange for the funeral. A coroner’s jury will be called sometime today by Deputy Corner Guy E. West. The remains are at the undertaking parlors of Guy E. West.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 10-12-1916
Death Calls City Clerk F. H. Evans

The Death Messenger called F. H. Evans, city clerk, to his last reward Saturday, he having been a sufferer from cancer of the throat for more than nine months. The funeral was held Monday, and a large concourse of people followed the remains to their last resting place in IOOF Cemetery. The services were held at West’s Chapel, and Rev. Fr. F. M. McNaboe paid a glowing tribute to the man whom death had claimed in his prime. F. H. Evans and his life’s partner, who is left to mourn a splendid husband, came to California from New York City 18 years ago and settled first on a ranch at Rocklin where they spent nine years, bringing the ranch to a high state of cultivation. Nine years ago, they came to Roseville, and up to five years ago he was in the general store business, assisted in his labors by Mrs. Evans. For the past three years, he had been city clerk, and he was probably the most efficient city clerk the city has had since its incorporation, Mr. Evans devoting all of his time to the position. He leaves to mourn his death a devoted wife, the only relative in this state, and numerous relatives in his native land, besides a large circle of friends who had come to know him for a splendid, upright, painstaking, lovable man.

Roseville Register, Friday, 5-2-1913
Old Railroad Employee Dropped Dead Monday

Mathew Evans, who has been employed by the Southern Pacific Co. for several years as watchman at the Lincoln Street crossing, dropped dead Monday on his way to his cabin. Coroner Bisbee was summoned from Auburn, and it was determined that he came to his death from hemorrhage of the lungs. He was on his way to his home when he was taken with an attack and fell to the ground, dying shortly afterward. He was seventy years old and was a native of Iowa. Matt Evans came to this section about 40 years ago and has resided here ever since. He had a son, but his whereabouts are not known at the present time.

Roseville Register, Friday, 3-28-1913
Death of County Surveyor Evenden

Another prominent Placer County man, who was also a county officer, died Monday afternoon when R. G. Evenden, county surveyor, succumbed to heart trouble. His death, following closely upon the death of Lee Chamberlain, comes as rather an unusual occurrence as in a short space of a couple of weeks, two of Placer’s prominent men and holders of offices have passed away. Mr. Evenden was 63 years old, having come to Placer County from Wisconsin about twenty years ago. He was a finely educated man, being a graduate of Cornell University. He had been ill for some time, and his heart became affected, causing his death. He made a splendid record as a surveyor and was thoroughly competent in this line. He is survived by his wife and one daughter, Mrs. Frost of Dutch Flat.

Roseville Register, Friday, 11-15-1912
Roseville Woman Dies on Fourth Attempt

Mrs. Barbara Evers, an account of whose attempted suicide appeared in last week’s REGISTER, died at the county hospital in Auburn Saturday night as the result of a dose of poison taken a week previously at her home in Roseville. She was buried at Auburn Monday and is the first occupant of the Placer County Potter’s Field. Mrs. Evers made an attempt upon her life about a year ago by jumping from the cliff near San Francisco Cliff House into the bay. She has since tried three times to die by poison. She leaves an 11-months-old child which is at present being taken care of by a Roseville family.