Obituaries - A

Today is:



Below you will find a complilation of obituaries gathered from various newspapers throughout Placer County. If YOU have an obituary for a Placer County resident and would like to addit to this collection, please contact the county coorinators.

Colfax Sentinel, Friday, 7-14-1893
Michigan Bluff Death

We are sorry to say there was a sad event took place which cast a gloom over our townspeople and came to mar the happiness and rob the home of one of our old residents. Albert J. Abram, aged 24, a young man raised here in the Bluffs, died on July 2d. The remains were interred on Monday, July 3d. The funeral services were held at the family residence, Rev. J. Tamblyn officiating. The sermon was impressive, and the floral offerings were very beautiful.

Roseville Register, Friday, 4-25-1913
Old Resident Died in Sacramento Friday

Isaac Acres, one of the old-time residents of this section, died in Sacramento last Friday. The funeral was held in Roseville, Sunday afternoon. The deceased was 84 years old at the time of his death. Besides his brother, Jesse Acres, he has several other relatives living in Sacramento and other nearby towns. For many years previous to his death, he was a resident of Roseville and is well known to the older residents.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 2-5-1920

John Q. Adams, the only son of Mr. and Mrs. T. M. Adams, was born in Indiana, May 27, 1878, and passed from this life in Roseville January 30 at the age of 41 years 4 months and 3 days. When but two years of age, he accompanied his parents to Kansas City where he remained for ten years, coming to California, locating in San Francisco, which was his home until 1906. Since that time, Roseville was his home though he labored elsewhere considerable. He was well known in this city and had many friends. His attachment to home added much to the happiness of loved ones who are prostrate in their heavy grief. For the past six months, failing health indicated that complete recovery was uncertain, nevertheless he continued cheerful and hopeful to the last. Besides his devoted parents, he leaves to mourn his untimely death one sister, Mrs. Killian Biggs, and a host of friends who had come to know him as a worthy one. With the sympathizing friends here and at the Bay, we join as we bow in humble submission to the will of Him who doeth all things well.

Lincoln News-Messenger, Thursday, 2-27-1919
Pioneer L. B. Adams Is Found Dead in Brush

Last Tuesday morning the remains of L. B. Adams, an aged pioneer of this section were found dead about 400 yards from the home of his deceased brother, Harry Adams, at Yankee Jims, four miles above Forest Hill. As previously stated in these columns, Mr. Adams had left Lincoln with the purpose of attending his brothers who were quite ill. After several weeks’ stay, he decided to return to his ranch near Lincoln and left about six o’clock one morning in a heavy snow storm for Yankee Jims, never to again be seen alive. Notwithstanding a diligent search was made for the man by scores of friends, the whereabouts of deceased could not be ascertained though traces of his footsteps were followed to Mayflower where all evidence of his whereabouts were lost in the snow. It seems that decedent had decided to retrace his steps and return to the brother’s home but had evidently lost his way and wandered in a roundabout way, taking a trail which led him to a destination above the house - the opposite direction in which he should have gone. The old gentleman was feeble and very hard of hearing, and it is probable that he became cold and weak and fell from exhaustion and perished. He was found face downward with his head resting peacefully upon his arm as though he was but sleeping, but it proved to be the sleep that knows no awakening. Another aged Lincoln pioneer whose life was good has passed from our midst to his final peace on the other side of that river which divides him from the cares of this troublous world. Lume Adams was a highly respected citizen and one in whom we all could place our confidence. He was kind and charitable, was a man possessed of manly traits, and a strong factor in all that was good. Deceased would have been eighty-one years old last Sunday. The funeral was held under the auspices of the Forest Hill Odd Fellows, of which order he was an honored member of Valley Lodge, No. 107, of Lincoln. He was also a beloved member of the local Rebekah lodge. Harry Adams preceded his brother to the grave several days before the finding of the body. He also leaves a brother, Timothy Adams of Yankee Jims, and a niece and a nephew. We of Lincoln deeply mourn for Lume B. Adams.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 7-29-1876

At Pino, July 1, 1876, of cancer, Sarah Adams, wife of Samuel Adams, aged 72 years, 7 months, and 27 days. Mrs. Adams was twice married, her former husband being the late Joseph Galbreath. Coming to California in 1852, she takes rank as a pioneer. She had resided in Placer County from her arrival in the state and was hostess at the Indian Valley House in Pine Grove for a number years and formed many acquaintances. The skill of the physician and the magic of the “faith doctor” proved alike unavailing to arrest the progress of the destroyer. She was interred in the Odd Fellows Cemetery, Auburn, July 2.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 1-29-1920
T. M. Adams Dies

T. M. Adams fell victim to the influenza this morning. He had been ill only a short time. Adams leaves a father; brother, J. Q. Adams; and sister, Mrs. Harry Biggs, to mourn his passing. The funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

Placer County Republican (Auburn), Friday 2-23-1894
A Sad Accident

On Monday last, news reached this city of the drowning of Mrs. F. I. Adge and Mr. Ed Donaldson which occurred near Colfax in the forenoon of that day. A party consisting of Wm. Sherritt, Mrs. Adge, Isador Adge, and Ed Donaldson was coming over the Iowa Hill to Colfax in a covered spring wagon, from which latter point it was intended to take the local train for Auburn where Mrs. Adge had business before the Superior Court. The road between the points named is rough and dangerous at its best, but the raging storm of Sunday night had washed it into great ruts and had swollen every little rivulet into a raging torrent. The trip was made all right; however, until within about a mile and a half of Colfax where one of these streams was encountered. Wm. Sherritt, who was handling the lines, started to drive into the stream, but seeing that the current was too strong for the team, he endeavored to back the horses out of the water. It is stated that at this juncture, Donaldson excitedly grabbed the lines and swung the horses around into the stream in such a manner as to cramp the wheels of the vehicle and upset it with its occupants into the rushing waters. The vehicle turned over and over, and after being carried down the stream some distance, finally found lodgment against two big trees. Mr. Sherritt and young Adge got out somehow, but Mrs. Adge and Mr. Donaldson were swept away by the rushing waters and were drowned. When news reached Colfax of the accident, searching parties were organized and hurried to the scene of the calamity. After considerable search, the bodies were found wedged in among the driftwood and trees in the stream, and it was with much difficulty that they were finally recovered. They were placed in a vehicle and taken to Colfax where an inquest was held by Coroner Mitchell who went up on the evening train. Mrs. Adge was the wife of F. I. Adge and conducted a hotel at Iowa Hill. She was the mother of four or five children, Isador, the son who was with her at the time of the accident, being the eldest. At the time of the catastrophe above related, Mrs. Adge was on her way to prosecute divorce proceedings against her husband. Mr. Adge had just arrived at Colfax by way of the trail when news reached there of the drowning of his wife, and he was with the first at the scene of the accident to render all the assistance in his power to recover the body. Donaldson was about sixty years of age and a widower.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 4-15-1876

Ah Cow, a Chinaman living at Virginiatown, who has been in bad health and out of his mind for some time, committed suicide on Wednesday night of last week by jumping into a well on Black Sam’s place near the Gold Hill mill. He was missed soon after and search made for him, but he was not found until Wednesday evening last. He had tied a large China pot over his head and shoulders and jumped into the well head first, the pot acting as a sinker and preventing him from turning in the well. The place where he was found was fully three-quarters of a mile from his house, and this distance he traveled in his bare feet. He had lived in that region for a long time and no cause of complaint is known against him. He was buried soon after being found. No inquest was held.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 4-5-1879

A Chinaman named Ah Kee was killed by the caving of a tunnel at Quartz Flat near Virginiatown, Thursday. He was about fifty-one years of age and highly respected by the white people for his industry and honesty.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 3-2-1878
Hunted Down – Capture and Death of Ah Sam, the Rocklin Murderer

Last September the public were horrified by the announcement that a triple murder had been committed near our neighboring town of Rocklin by Chinese, and that Ah Sam was the name of the principal murderer. The facts are too fresh in people’s minds to need any extended reference to the case now. We will just state that the victims were H. N. Sargent, X. L. Oder, and Mrs. Oder. A number of Chinamen were arrested on suspicion, but all, with the exception of one Hin Fook, have been discharged. Rewards for the arrest of the murderer were shortly offered. Without awaiting any such stimulus, however, a vigorous search for the criminal was prosecuted by a number of parties whose attention was chiefly directed to the mining camps in the county. Mr. John C. Boggs of Penryn, who enjoys a well-earned reputation as a detective and who is never so much in his element as when he is tracking a fugitive from justice, made the most persevering and elaborate search for the missing Ah Sam. He visited many parts of this state and of Nevada, following up an occasional clue, but generally finding himself baffled by the secret aid rendered to the Chinese assassin by his countrymen. Recently, however, he became satisfied that Ah Sam was in Plumas County. On the 5th of February, Mr. Boggs, accompanied by Thomas Johnson, Richard Jacks, and a Chinaman of this town named Ah Bing, went to Spanish Ranch in that county to which place they had tracked Ah Sam. Thus it became known to the residents of that vicinity that the murderer was in the county and a watch was kept for him. On the 12th, a couple of men came to Rich Bar, a mining camp seven miles from Spanish Ranch, and told of a Chinaman having suspiciously and suddenly disappeared from Wolf Creek. The scent was lost until the 16th when a Mr. Ira Wentworth, living half a mile from Rich Bar, came to the latter place and hearing of the pursuit, mentioned that fact of a Chinaman having come to his house the night before, begging for something to eat, that he had not eaten anything for some days, and that he had been camping in the snow above his place for a couple of days past. Hearing these particulars, a couple of young men—Thomas J. Stentz and Alexander Buyinghausen—set off in company with Wentworth to capture the Chinaman. Wentworth, finding the Chinaman had deserted his camping place, gave up the hunt and went home. The other two kept on and soon had the satisfaction of descrying the object of their search further up the hillside. He had a pair of Norwegian snow-shoes and was standing, leaning on a snow-shoe pole, looking down at them. Presently he moved on towards an adjacent cliff and awaited their coming. The pursuers were armed with a revolver and a shotgun. The murderer was also armed. They called to him to come out and surrender, but they received no answer. He popped his empty hat up above the rock to draw their fire, but in this he did not succeed. He then fired at them but missed, owing to the hastiness of his aim. The two men fired at him a number of times without avail. He was too well fortified. After half an hour fruitlessly spent in endeavoring to persuade him to surrender, Buyinghausen was sent back to Rich Bar for reinforcements. Stentz kept guard alone for two hours or more. Meanwhile it was raining heavily. About an hour after Buyinghausen’s departure, the Chinaman feigned suicide by firing his pistol and groaning behind the rock. Stentz, believing this was “playing possum” was wide-awake enough to not allow himself to be caught off his guard. In a few minutes he popped his head up again and tried to get a shot at Stentz but seeing the latter was ready with the shotgun, he changed his mind. Being again called upon to surrender and being told that if he did so he would not be molested, he answered Stentz that he might “go to hell.” Sometime afterwards, when six or seven armed men had arrived and finding escape impossible, the Chinese desperado shot himself in the abdomen. He died on Monday morning, the 18th. His body was packed in snow, and it was brought to Auburn last Sunday. At an inquest held by the Coroner, the deceased was fully identified by various parties as Ah Sam. His Chinese name was Jee Ah Yoo, and his age about 24 years. On Monday the pine coffin containing his remains was deposited in the Chinese Cemetery. Thus ends the career of one of the most blood-thirsty Chinese ruffians with whom California has ever been cursed.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 12-17-1892

Murder – A Chinaman Falls a Victim to the Fiendishness of a Countryman As Gus Vollerson, who works for Hector down near Rattlesnake Bar, was out last Sunday morning to see about some horses, he came across a good Chinaman (all dead Chinese are good) lying in the field of the Miller place not far from some Chinese cabins. A hasty glance told him that the Chinaman had been murdered. He returned home, hitched up his horse and cart, and came to Auburn where he notified the sheriff and the coroner of his discovery. Those officials repaired to the scene of the tragedy. They found the dead man as described, his head was cut as though with an ax, his neck was cut as though with a knife, and there was a bullet hole through his heart. He might have been dead two or three days, just how long it was impossible to tell. All the surroundings indicated that there had been a desperate and bloody fight. There was blood in the cabin, on the bed clothes, in patches on the ground, and the dead man was smeared with it. The name of the dead man was Ah Sun. Near where he lived in another cabin, there resided an elderly Chinaman by the name of Te Chung. They were employed by Sherman on his ranch, and both belonged to the See Yep company. It is evident that those two Chinamen had a falling out with the bloody and fatal result indicated. Te Chung was not to be found. Whether he also received a fatal wound and crawled off somewhere and died is not yet known. The officers believe he must be more or less cut up from the fray, and that wounded and sore, he’s concealed in some of the many Chinese camps in that section of the county. They have scoured the country in a diligent search for him, dead or alive, but so far have obtained no clue to his whereabouts. The Coroner’s Jury, after investigating the matter, found that Ah Sun came to his death in the manner we have indicated at the hands of a party or parties to the said jury unknown.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 7-15-1876
Sudden Death

A Chinaman named Ah Yee, who had been working for P. L. Ryan, cutting wood about a mile and a half west of Colfax, died very suddenly on the night of Monday, the 10th. He had been at work all day and went to bed between seven and eight o’clock in the evening, apparently in as good health as usual. When Mr. Ryan went to call him in the morning about six o’clock, he found him dead. As he occupied a cabin by himself, just what caused his death or what time in the night he died must be a matter for conjecture. Coroner Swett was notified at once and held an inquest on the body when the above facts were developed. The verdict of the jury was that the deceased was a native of China, aged about 37 years, that he came to his death on the 11th of July, 1876, in this county, by some cause unknown to the jury.

Auburn Journal, Wednesday, 2-26-1975

Funeral services were held Tuesday in Clark’s Funeral Home for Mabel Dodge Ahart, 93, who died in a rest home in Modesto February 20. She was a long-time resident of Lincoln, having been born near there in 1882. She was the widow of Henry Whitley Ahart who died in 1966. She was a graduate of Humphries Normal in Stockton and taught school in Lincoln for a short time. She was active in Farm Bureau and served as president of the State and National Farm Bureau, and was the first woman to be appointed a member of the State Board of Agriculture. She served on national committees under President Franklin Roosevelt. She has been a member of Friendship Chapter, Order of Eastern Star, Placer Parlor Native Daughters of the Golden West, the Woman’s Club, and Business and Professional Women’s Club of Lincoln. She was clerk and treasurer of Lincoln and was given a testimonial dinner upon retirement. She served on the Lincoln Centennial Committee and wrote its history. Surviving are a sister, Yvonne York of Los Angeles; three daughters, Dolores Russell of Modesto, Evelyn Crawford of Cocoa Beach, FL, and Greta Miller of Long Beach; two grandchildren, Larry Mugar of Phoenix, AZ, and Brenda Burney of Santa Ana; and six great-grandchildren.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 6-12-1914
H. F. Albee, Long Treasurer of Placer County, Passes at Age of 85

H. F. Albee, who has lived for the last two years with his son-in-law, M. N. Williamson, on the upper Stockton Road below Sacramento, died Wednesday at 1:00 o’clock. Albee’s career in California was a long one. He came to the state by water in 1852, settled at Rattlesnake Bar, and mined along the American River. A few years later, he went to Yreka and continued his mining. From there he went to Oregon where he entered into the cattle business. During this period the Modoc uprising took place, and Albee was closely connected with the affair. A short time later Albee entered the mercantile business, first at Newcastle and later in Penryn. Here he entered on a political career, serving one unexpired term as treasurer of Placer County. On the completion of this term, Albee was elected to two full terms for the same office, and three years ago retired with the honor of having been the oldest treasurer in the state. Albee was born in 1829 and if he had lived until the 19th of next December, he would have been 85 years old. He was beloved throughout Placer County and known to every man and woman for the prominent part he played in the public life of a country that has contributed so much to the picturesque side of California history. In honor of this man, the flags in Penryn were hung at half mast on the announcement of his death. H. F. Albee was known to say that a miner was rich one week and broke the next. When he quit the business, he had two twenty dollar gold pieces and said, “By George, I’ll keep them.” The remains will be sent to Penryn Sunday, and services will be held at the Newcastle Cemetery. Three children survive Mr. Albee: Mrs. Williamson, Mrs. W. T. Small of Dunsmuir, and Charles W. Albee.

Roseville Register, Friday, 7-31-1914
Brakeman Loses Balance - Death Results from Injuries

Alexius Albrecht, a passenger brakeman running between Sacramento and Truckee, was found missing from the train and on investigation was found besides the tracks at Towie. The accident happened Sunday morning, and the Coroner’s verdict was that he came to his death accidentally. It is believed that he was leaning out of the doorway to see if a hot box was troubling and that he lost his balance and fell out, striking on his head. His brother, John Albrecht, took the body to Waterloo, Iowa, his old home, for burial. He leaves a bride of a year to mourn his untimely death, besides several brothers and sisters in the east. Mr. Albrecht was a bright young man and had many friends in Roseville, he having formerly made this his home.

Placer Herald (Auburn), 4-30-1887
One of Placer’s Pioneer and Prominent Citizens Laid to Rest

After an illness of nearly two years, George D. Aldrich, another old-time Californian, having come to this state in 1853, died at his home in Lincoln last Monday. Mr. Aldrich was a native of New Hampshire but lived some time in Illinois before coming to California. On arriving in this state, Mr. Aldrich settled at Virginiatown in this county, then a thrifty mining camp and, being well education and having an abundant supply of natural ability and business tact, he soon became prominent in the mining and commercial interests of the county. For years he conducted the leading store of Virginiatown, and at his death he owned the largest mercantile house in the town Lincoln, if not in the county. During the building of the railroad, he had a store also at Gold Run. Being naturally energetic and enterprising, Mr. Aldrich engaged in many enterprises outside of his mercantile business, and in most of his ventures was successful. He died possessed of a competency. He was never married and therefore leaves neither wife nor child to inherit his estate. He was a prominent member of Valley Lodge, No. 107, IOOF of Lincoln and was also a member of the Chosen Friends. His remains were buried last Wednesday at Manzanita Grove under the auspices of the Odd Fellows Fraternity, and the funeral proclaimed the wide acquaintance and great popularity of the deceased. It was largely attended by people from near and far, and is said to have been one of the largest ever seen in the county. The number of carriages that formed the line to the cemetery is estimated at about 200.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 10-7-1876
Killed by a Cave

William Alers, a native of Germany and an old resident of the Forest Hill Divide, was killed near Paradise on the 27th of last month. He was engaged in mining and at the time of the accident was picking under the edge of a low bank of gravel for the purpose of caving it down. His partner, who was at work a short distance off, noticed that a cave had taken place and going to the spot, found that Alers had been caught by the gravel and covered up. As the bank wasn’t more than six or seven feet high, it did not take him long to dig the unfortunate man out and finding him still alive, he called for assistance and removed him to his cabin. When first relieved, he was able to walk with the assistance of a man on each side to hold him up, but he soon failed and died in a few hours. His death seemed to be caused by severe internal injuries as he was not covered long enough to seriously endanger life, and no bones were broken. An inquest was held by Coroner Swett, and a verdict returned in accordance with the above fact. Deceased was 56 years old and leaves no family. He was buried the following day at Forest Hill.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 7-31-1929
Gabriel Alexson, 63, Is Buried at Rocklin

Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at the Finnish Hall, Rocklin, over the body of Gabriel Alexson, 63, who died suddenly Thursday night at Raymond. Rev. H. E. Wells, pastor of the Roseville M. E. Church, conducted the funeral service. H. C. Slater sang, accompanied at the piano by Mrs. Slater. The body was interred at Rocklin Cemetery. Mr. Alexson went to Raymond about two months ago to work. He was stricken with a heart attack while there. He was the father of H. J. Alexson, Alex Alexson and Mrs. T. Wallen of Rocklin, and Mrs. L. Penitla of Porterville.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 8-3-1927
Well-Known Rocklin Man Killed Monday – Nicolai Alexson Meets Instant Death by Falling to Bottom of Quarry

Nicolai Alexson, head of the Alexson Granite Company of Rocklin, was instantly killed Monday morning about 9:30. He was working at the edge of his quarry near Rocklin when he slipped and fell some 60 feet to the bottom. A long blast of the quarry whistle brought help, but life was extinct when loving hands reached him. Mr. Alexson was a native of Finland, aged 39 years. He came to Rocklin when about 5 years of age and received his education in the public schools there, after which he engaged in the granite business with his father, the late Gabriel Alexson. He leaves to mourn his loss, a wife; a daughter, Betty; a so,n Eugene; two brothers, H. J. and Alex Alexson; and two sisters, Mrs. Sanfried Wallen and Mrs. S. Pentila, both of Porterville. Mr. Alexson was a man of the highest type; a devoted husband and father, and a citizen whom the entire community will mourn. Funeral services for Mr. Alexson will be held on Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock from his late residence in Rocklin.

Roseville Register, Saturday, 4-4-1908

Darwin Luther Allen was born in New Hampshire in January 1831 and died near Roseville March 27, 1908, so he was 77 years and 2 months old at the time of his death. He was a descendant of good old Puritan stock and throughout his life was known as a man of sterling worth and honesty. He came to California in 1850 and located in Placer County where he has resided continuously up to the time of his death. In January 1874, he married Miss Mary E. Graham, a teacher of Placer County and she with one daughter, Arthea Allen, survive him and reside in Sacramento. He also has a sister, Mrs. Sarah J. Davis, residing in Lowell, Massachusetts. Mr. Allen has been prominently identified with politics during his life in this county and served two terms as supervisor. He was a familiar figure in state and county conventions and was noted for his integrity of purpose and never made a promise that he did not try to fulfill. He was interested in mining and at the time of his death owned a mine at Forest Hill, which he was developing and which could have been sold several times at a flattering figure. At the last general election, he was elected justice of the peace of Roseville Township and filled the place ably and well. He has been complaining of cold on his lungs for some time, and Dr. Ashby pronounced his death due to congestion of the lungs. He was buried in the IOOF Cemetery here last Sunday afternoon under the auspices of Roseville Grange No. 161, and is large concourse of people followed his remains to the grave. In the death of Judge Allen, we realize that a good man has gone to his reward and hosts of friends respect his memory.

Placer Tribune and Register, Friday, 1-10-1930
Grant Allen, 65, of Lincoln Answers Call

Grant Allen, 65, of Lincoln died in a Sacramento hospital Tuesday from a fractured hip received about a week ago. Allen had made his home in Lincoln since he was 12 years old. At various times, he clerked in local stores and for several years served as a rural mail carrier. Surviving are Mrs. M. A. Kells of Russell, Iowa; Mrs. Laura Stillwagon of Los Angeles; Mrs. T. Shockey of Sacramento; Mrs. T. L. Coffey of Santa Rosa; Mrs. Iva Sparks of Lincoln; sisters, and Edmund Sparks of Lincoln, a brother.

Placer Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 1-15-1930
Pioneer Rocklin Resident Passes Away Saturday

After several days of suffering, followed by unconsciousness, Ira Philbrook Allen, pioneer Rocklin resident, passed away at the Sutter Hospital, Sacramento, Saturday morning, January 11, at the age of nearly 78 years. Deceased had undergone a major operation on his throat last month, after which he was taken to his home at Rocklin where it was thought he was recovering nicely. Complications set in, however, and he was removed to the hospital where everything possible was done by medical aids to relieve his suffering, but to no avail, and he passed away surrounded by his beloved wife and three daughters. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the chapel of James R. Garlick in Sacramento. Interment was made in Masonic Cemetery. A large concourse of friends of the family from Rocklin and Roseville were in attendance at the services to pay final tribute to a man beloved by all who had known him. Ira Philbrook Allen was born in Meddybemps, Maine, April 13, 1851, and would have been 78 years of age next April. He came to California in 1878, locating at Rocklin where he pursued his trade as a stonecutter. He owned a quarry there from which he turned out the granite used in the court house at Auburn, Masonic Hall in Penryn, and a prominent mausoleum in Oakland. In 1885 he was united in marriage to Lily Rose at Auburn. To this union was born four children, who besides his devoted wife, survive to mourn his loss.  They are Mrs. Susie Ross and Mrs. Ethel O’Connor of Roseville; Ira P. Allen Jr. of Tacoma, Washington; and Mrs. Jennebelle Witt of Stockton. Several grandchildren also mourn his passing. Deceased had resided in Rocklin over forty-five years, always maintaining his home there, while following his trade in other cities of California. He was an honorary member of the National Stonecutters’ Union and was held in the highest esteem by union officials as well as all fellow members of his trade. His son, Ira P. Allen, was unable to be present at the funeral because of an attack of pneumonia at his home in Tacoma.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 11-23-1878
The Diphtheria Revisits Colfax

We regret to say that the diphtheria has again broken out in Colfax, and it seems to be more violent than ever. One death has resulted this week, that of Katie, youngest daughter of L. T. Allen. She died on Wednesday and was buried yesterday. The second child, Abbie, a girl of thirteen, is also dangerously ill of the same disease. Eight or ten other children are also sick. Among the number are:  Zillie Hayford, Mrs. Keck’s third girl, Pinkie, and two or three other children in the family of Mr. Richardson.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 3-6-1914

Following an illness which began about six years ago, William S. Allen died at his home in Lincoln last Saturday. Mr. Allen’s illness did not become acute until six months ago when he was compelled to give up his position as foreman at the pottery works of Gladding, McBean & Co. in the pottery department, a position he had held for over thirty-four years, and it is said that no man in this particular branch of the great works had a more intimate knowledge of the intricate cabinet, a special wood-work required in all of the mechanical departments of the pottery, than W. S. Allen. And he was not only valued as an employee, but beloved by all of his fellow workmen. Few men ever worked in the pottery who were more affectionately esteemed than W. S. Allen. W. S. Allen was good and true – a man who was honest to the core, true to every obligation, and faithful to every trust reposed in him. In his prime, he was an active and energetic man, both mentally and physically, giving liberally of his time, money, and sympathy for any worthy movement. He was a city trustee, school trustee, and a very active member of the local fire department until failing health prevented him from further activity. In religion he early developed the habit of weighing things in the balance of reason, discarding that which to him did not harmonize with the Creator’s plan as he saw God’s laws in the big book of nature. He believed in doing good for humanity’s sake. His convictions, whether right or wrong, were honest and sincere, resulting from much careful study and analysis on his part, and with which he calmly met his fate. He was a devoted, kind and indulgent husband, a tender father, and to his friends the soul of good fellowship. But greatest of all – he was a man, and as a man it is to those near who knew him best must contemplate him. He believed in the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. He was honest, upright, and charitable – a man who did right according to his honest convictions – a man who was loving, kind, and true to his family, faithful to his friends and respected by all who knew him. Deceased came to Lincoln about 37 years ago. He was a native in Indiana and 65 years, ten months, and eight days old. He is survived by a widow, Mrs. Louise Allen; a daughter, Mrs. Henry Brown of San Francisco; two brothers, R. G. and Edward Allen of Lincoln; and five sisters as follows: Mrs. Wm. Sparks of Lincoln, Mrs. T. L. Coffey of Santa Rosa, Mrs. Shockey of Sacramento, Mrs. Laura Stillwagon of Kansas, and Mrs. Kells of Iowa. Many other distant relatives survive him. Funeral services were held from his late residence Monday afternoon, Rev. Singer of San Francisco and Rev. Brereton of Lincoln officiated. The funeral was under the auspices of the Odd Fellows, of which he had been a member for many years. The body was taken to Sacramento for cremation. In the death of W. S. Allen, Lincoln sustains the loss of one of its truest, noblest, and best citizens – a man of strong opinions – but every ready to help a worthy cause, a man of generous impulses – a man who helped to make Lincoln the splendid little city it is today, and in whose death all may justly mourn. Mr. Allen was a veteran of the Indian War, being in the immortal Custer’s command.

Roseville Register, Saturday, 7-18-1908
Death of Carl Allison

Monday evening at 10:30, C. H. Baker received a telegram from coroner Bisbee station that Carl Allison was lying dead at Long’s Canyon and asking what disposition to make of the remains. Next morning, a telegram was sent to Carl’s father, who is cashier of a bank in Orrick, Missouri, and an answer was received to embalm the body and ship it east. C. H. Barker and Wm. Haman went up to Auburn to make the necessary arrangements, but the body was so far away, being 24 miles from Michigan Bluff and had to be carried out on a pack horse, that it was found difficult to comply with directions, and a second telegram was received telling Mr. Barker to use his judgment about the disposition of the remains, so it was decided to bury the body here under the auspices of Roseville Aerie of Eagles, which was done yesterday afternoon. The party of hunters left here last week for the mountains. Last Saturday afternoon, Carl went fishing and failing to return, his companions went out Sunday and found him lying dead in about 3 inches of water where he was taken with a spell with his heart. Carl was well and favorably known here having resided in Roseville for the past two years and conducted a grill room in The Western and Raineer barrooms. He had been in C. H. Barker’s employ for several months and was well liked by all who knew him. He was well connected in the cast but had very little to say of his family. He received a check for $1000 from his father a short time ago; but sent it back. The Eagles gave him an imposing funeral and did all in their power to show him respect and express their sympathy, and his eastern relatives may rest assured that Carl died among friends and was cared for the best they knew how.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Thursday, 9-11-1980
May 21, 1910 – Sept. 8, 1980

Laura Lucille Allshouse, 70, a native of Pennsylvania and a resident of Lincoln, died Sept. 8 in the Roseville Community Hospital. She is survived by a daughter, Barbara Ann Bowers, Elk Grove; a son, John Allshouse, Sacramento; a brother, Harry Crawford, Tampa, FL; and one grandchild. Service will be Friday at 2 PM at the Clark Funeral Home, Lincoln, with burial in the Lincoln Cemetery.

Placer County Reader (Auburn), Thursday, 1-5-1899

Again we are called upon to chronicle the passing of one of our well known and generally respected citizens, C. C. Ames, who succumbed to dropsy at his home in Auburn, January 2nd. Mr. Ames was a native of the State of Maine, aged sixty-six years and three months. He came to California in 1864 and has made Placer County his home for the past twenty years. May 29, 1871, he was married to Mary E. Pulsifer at Indian Valley, Plumas County. Since coming to Auburn in 1879, Mr. and Mrs. Ames resided on a small fruit ranch and fruit-raising was his occupation. Mr. Ames had been a great sufferer for two and a half years, the last year and a half being spent in bed. His case was peculiar, and when one considers the enormous accumulations of water which were reduced upon forty-three different occasions by tapping, the wonder is that the patient sufferer lingered so long. Possessed of unusual vitality, a hopeful temperament, and genial manner, he maintained cheerfulness almost to the last and gladly welcomed his friends when able to see them. Besides the widow, Mr. Ames leaves a sister in the east and four cousins in California: Geo. A. Cooper, Harry Cooper, Fred L. Cooper, and Mrs. Helen A. Dunn. The first named, Geo. A. Cooper, came over from Nevada City to attend the funeral which took place from the residence yesterday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock. Rev. J. T. Shurtleff conducted the service at the house, and the Order of Red Men held the service at the cemetery. Mr. Ames was a member of Miami Tribe, No. 55, IORM, of this city, and also of Placer Council, No. 68, of Chosen Friends, in which he carried an insurance policy for $1,000. Mr. Ames was a broad-minded, public-spirited man of upright character and will be sincerely mourned by many friends here and elsewhere, and genuine sympathy is extended the bereaved wife whose devotion to her husband was so marked.

Roseville Register, Friday, 10-4-1912
Editor of This Paper Passes Away

After a short illness, the editor of this paper, C. W. Anderson, died at his home in Roseville last Friday afternoon. He had been a sufferer from diabetes for several years, and his death was not entirely unexpected but still it was a severe shock to his family. As to his career as a newspaper man, we will only say that before coming to Roseville he was connected with several papers in northern California, Oregon, and Washington. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at two o’clock from the residence and was largely attended. Rev. Jackson officiated at the house, and the Knights of Pythias took charge at the cemetery. The members of the FOE were well represented, and the Roseville band was present in uniform. The Roseville Register will in future be conducted by C. B. and R. R. Anderson, who will also continue to conduct the Colfax Record. In the main, the policy of the paper will be about the same as it has been in the past, to stand up for what we think is right and to express our opinions on matters that concern the welfare of the town and people generally. However, we are too well known to the people of Roseville to say much along this line, and if we fail to make good we will have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 8-11-1910
Sudden Death of Mrs. C. Ross Anderson

The relatives and friends of Mrs. Kate Anderson, wife of C. Ross Anderson, a son of Rev. Colin Anderson and brother of C. W. Anderson of the REGISTER, were shocked upon receipt of a telegram late Friday evening announcing her sudden death at Sissons Tavern near Sissons, a popular summer resort of which her husband is manager. The circumstances surrounding the death of this most estimable woman are sad indeed. It appears that one of the servants was negligent and left some of his duties unperformed, and Mrs. Anderson mildly called his attention to the fact when the employee answered rudely. She informed her husband who immediately called him to task and discharged him. The incident caused a little excitement and finally brought on hysteria, a condition owing to an extremely nervous temperament she was subject to. She went to her apartments with the evident intention of taking a dose of nerve tonic, but in her strained nervous condition got hold of a bottle containing Lysol instead and took a draught of the deadly fluid. Realizing her fatal mistake instantly, she fell to the floor with a scream which attracted her husband, and he rushed in to the room to find her rapidly approaching a comatose condition. Medical aid was summoned but arrived too late, the deadly poison had done its work and the spirit took its flight. The deceased resided with her husband in Roseville for some time where she had a large circle of warm friends who sincerely mourn her death. Both husband and wife were devotedly attached and lived happily together, and his bereavement is keenly felt. Her maiden name was Catherine McMillan and was born in Canada 37 years ago. Besides her husband and a son seven years old, she leaves a mother and three sisters to mourn her sad death.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 9-25-1875
Shooting Scrape at Ophir

Last Sunday evening the village of Ophir was shocked by the commission of one of those bloody acts that were once so common in our mining regions but which in our more peaceful times are happily less frequent. The particulars of the affray as we learn them from a witness of the transaction are substantially as follows:  Sunday afternoon, Charles Anderson, the man who was shot, came to Auburn with a friend. He was drinking considerably but so far as we know was fully competent to take care of himself while here. In the evening he started to Ophir, taking with him a small dog that he had procured here and intended giving to a friend at the St. Patrick Mill. Arriving in Ophir, the party went into a saloon to take a drink. After imbibing, the party went to another saloon and Anderson, throwing the chain attached to his dog over a chair, spoke to an old man familiarly known as "Saltpeter", who was in the saloon, telling him to take care of the dog or not to let anyone take him away. In their absence, Saltpeter, knowing who the dog was intended for, concluded to take it there, expecting probably to get a drink for his trouble. On Anderson’s return to the saloon, he was greatly incensed because his dog was missing and made use of pretty rough language about the old man, calling him a thief and other hard names. He was assured that the old man would keep the dog all right but under the influence of liquor, he was not easily pacified and in a turbulent state of mind, he started to the St. Patrick Mill, accompanied by a couple of friends. On the way there, they overtook Saltpeter with the dog, and a quarrel at once ensued, ending in Anderson striking the old man a severe blow with his fist. By the earnest efforts of his companions, the parties were separated, Anderson being taken care of by one of them while the other took a musket from Saltpeter which he showed some disposition to use. After they were separated, the quarrel continued, Anderson making use of very foul language and attempting to renew the fight. Saltpeter, in the meantime, demanded his gun but was refused until, supposing that there was no further danger, it was given back to him on his promise to get out of the way, the cap having been quietly removed from the nipple. When Saltpeter recovered his gun, he started away from the group but before he had gone very far, Anderson started after him, shouting and threatening him. The old man at this point presented his gun and pulled the trigger, but the cap having been removed, the piece was not discharged. This doubly incensed Anderson and swearing that he would kill Saltpeter, he started after his own shot-gun to carry out the threat. The parties with him succeeded in keeping the gun away from him, but getting a revolver, he broke away from them and started in pursuit of Saltpeter. He soon came in sight of the old man who, by this time, had recapped his piece. When within thirty or forty steps, Saltpeter fired, and Anderson, after staggering a few steps, fell. The wounded man was at once taken to a house nearby and medical aid called. An examination showed that he was literally filled with shot from head to foot. Anderson’s gun was an army musket heavily charged with No. 3 shot, and the distance was just sufficient to allow the charge to scatter properly. The legs as low down as the ankle, both arms, and his face, were sprinkled all over with shot, while a large number penetrated the abdomen and the region of the heart and stomach. Everything was done for the sufferer that medical skill could devise, but the wounds were too terrible to permit of hope, and on Thursday morning at about 5 o’clock, the tragedy ended with his death. The deceased was a Norwegian by birth and at the time of his death was about thirty-five years of age. So far as we have been able to learn, he had no relatives in this part of the state. Saltpeter, whose real name is Gustav Feustell, was shortly afterwards arrested and brought to the Auburn jail where he now awaits examination. He is a German about sixty-five years old and also without family. In arresting him, another man was shot and severely injured, but this was purely accidental. The old man was somewhat turbulent and resisted capture. One of the parties making the arrest used his revolver somewhat carelessly and it was discharged, the ball passing through the hand of Robert Hunter, who was assisting, and nearly taking off a finger.

Auburn Journal, Thursday, 9-7-1944
Sgt. Claude Anderson Is Dead

Staff Sergeant Claude F. Anderson, 22, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Anderson of Auburn, died as the result of injuries received in an automobile accident in France on August 14 according to a telegram which was received by his parents today. Sergeant Anderson was a graduate of the Auburn Union Grammar School, the Placer Union High School, and attended the Placer Junior College for one year. While going to school, he worked part time in the Auburn Journal office during which time the Journal staff came to know him as one of the best young men of the community. His untimely death in France will cast gloom wherever he was known. Sgt. Anderson had been in the armed service for three years and had been in England and France for over a year. He is thought to have entered France with the last invasion group of United States soldiers. His parents had received several letters from him since he arrived in France. In addition to his parents, Sergeant Anderson is survived by a sister, Miss Muriel Anderson, and a brother, Charles Anderson. The telegram from the War Department which was received in Auburn this morning follows:

Washington, DC, Sept. 7, 1944

The Secretary of War asks that I assure you of his deep sympathy in the loss of your son, Staff Sergeant Claude F. Anderson. Report received states he died fourteen August in France as result of injuries received in a vehicle accident. Letter follows.  --J. A. Ulio, The Adjutant General

Lincoln News-Messenger, 11-23-1913
An Honest Man Gone

After a short illness Peter Anderson, for about 40 years a resident of this vicinity, died at a Sacramento hospital last Friday following an operation which was resorted to as the last hope of saving his life from an intestinal trouble that baffled all efforts. Deceased was a native of Denmark, aged 68 years, 8 month and 4 days. He located on a farm near Lincoln about 40 years ago, subsequently coming into Lincoln to reside where he has lived continuously for 27 years, during practically all of that time being employed at the pottery works here. Mr. Anderson was a faithful and loving husband, a kind and indulgent father, a good neighbor, and an exceptionally good citizen. He was not a man of conventionalities and those with whom he moved and lived without reserve loved him best. He was an indefatigable worker – a son of toil endowed with physical and moral courage, self-reliance, industry, and frugality. Well do we recall the days and years even we have seen Mr. Anderson with energetic and self-reliant tread, amid the bitterest of wintry blasts and beneath the blazing rays of summer’s hottest days, plodding faithfully to and from his daily toll – an honest worker and an honest man – inscriptions on his record of life far beyond our feeble words of praise and a grander monument to his memory than could be erected over his grave from the richest bonze or rarest marble. The funeral of the deceased was held from his Lincoln residence last Monday and was largely attended. Rev. John Brereton officiated, and a choir rendered hymns. To mourn his loss are his wife and the following children:  Mrs. Chris Hansen, Mrs. Albert Hansen and Mrs. Jesse Cox of Lincoln, Thomas and Peter Anderson of Woodland, Mrs. Christina Anderson of San Francisco. There were many beautiful floral pieces.

Roseville Register, Friday, 11-27-1913
Resident of Lincoln for Forty Years

Peter Anderson of Lincoln, who died as a result of an operation at the Sisters’ Hospital, Sacramento, was a native of Denmark, aged 68 years. He had lived in this vicinity forty years and for twenty-seven years was head carpenter at the pottery works here. He leaves a wife and six children, Mrs. Chris Hansen, Mrs. Albert Hanson, Mrs. Jess Cox of Lincoln, Mrs. Christina Rhade of San Francisco, and Thomas and Peter Anderson of Woodland. The funeral was held in Lincoln Monday.

Roseville Register, Friday, 6-20-1913
Funeral of Popular Placer County Girl

Last Sunday the funeral of Mrs. Susie Ryan Anderson was attended by a large number of friends and neighbors of the deceased who had gathered to pay their last tribute to the departed one whom they had known from childhood. Mrs. Anderson was born in Rocklin twenty-four years ago and had spent her life before her marriage to Clarence E. Anderson, nearly two years ago, at the family home near Loomis. She died in Sausalito April 27, and her request was to be cremated. Her ashes were brought to Loomis where a funeral service was conducted by Rev. W. E. Eckles, who had formerly been her pastor and who later conducted her marriage ceremony. The interment was made in the Rocklin Cemetery. Only kindly memories will linger in the minds of everyone in the community, and their sympathy is extended to the bereaved family.

Lincoln News-Messenger, Thursday, 7-6-1917
An Old Lincolnite Crosses Over

After a long period of failing health as the result of advancing years, Hans Andresen, Sr. passed quietly away at his home in Central District, a few miles southwest of Lincoln. Deceased came to this country from Denmark where he was born in 1836, and he was 81 years, 8 months and 1 day old at the time of his death. He came to this vicinity in the “fifties” and had resided here ever since. In the early “sixties” he lived in the Gold Hill district when it was at its height of palmy mining days. Later he was employed at the Zingenfein flour mill in Lincoln which was operated in the “sixties.” Among his associates then were the late Chris Crook and Chris Kier, noble souls who did the pioneering in this vicinity and now sleep under the turf not far from the scenes of their early-day activities which resulted in the establishment of the mighty bulwarks that have conserved and protected the following generation in their efforts to build so well upon the solid foundation these early-day settlers so gloriously started. Hans Andresen was of the sturdy, rugged type of man - a man of innate honesty and strict integrity who carved out his life according to the noble precepts of loyalty to a high standard of citizenship, a strict adherence to the principles of justice, fair and square dealings with all, and a never-failing observance of the code of honor and honesty in all the affairs of his long and useful life. For many years Mr. Andresen was active and interested in public affairs and held the position at one time of road master in his district before the law was changed. In politics he was always a Democrat but was tolerant in his views and enjoyed the sincere friendship of all who knew him. He was a kind and accommodating neighbor and a devoted husband and father. His home life was ideal - about his home and fireside his greatest concern and interest centered. For several years he has lived a retired life. He is survived by his widow and three children, Mrs. J. P. Thomsen of Dixon, and Peter and Hans Andresen of Lincoln. The latter is a director in the Bank of Lincoln. The funeral was held Wednesday, July 4, and the remains were laid to rest in the Odd Fellows Cemetery not far from the scenes of over a century of his active life - close by the stream whose soft ripples over the pebbles will sing a sweet refrain of ever lasting peace, and the branches of sturdy oaks across the way will sigh a solemn requiem of gentle repose to his soul. May it be so with all the loved pioneers of our loved California.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 11-16-1928
Funeral Services Tomorrow for Mrs. Adele Andretta

Adele Andretta of 306 Coronado Avenue died at the Sutter Hospital in Sacramento on Wednesday morning. Funeral services will be held Saturday morning from St. Rose’s Catholic Church, and burial will take place in the Roseville Cemetery. The body is at the Broyer & Magner Mortuary. Mrs. Andretta is survived by her husband Samulado and by two sons, aged seven and three years, and by a brother, Bellusimi.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 4-29-1876
Death and Funeral of Miss Andrews

Last week we announced in a brief item that Miss Kate Andrews had closed her school at Yankee Jims and would return home on Saturday. That day her friends here learned that an illness which had been so trifling as to excite no apprehension had taken a serious turn, and they immediately went to see her, taking with them medical assistance. So rapid was the progress of her disease that they only reached her side in time to witness her death, which took place Sunday evening. Her remains were brought to Auburn for interment, reaching here Monday evening, and on Tuesday they were committed to the grave in the presence of a large concourse of sorrowing friends. The funeral services, conducted by Rev. King, were of an impressive character. They were held at the residence of the deceased’s brother, M. Andrews, Esq., from where the remains were borne to the Odd Fellows Cemetery. The Good Templars Lodge of Auburn, of which Miss Andrews was a member, attended the remains of their departed sister to the grave, and all the members of the Teachers’ Institute testified their appreciation of the worth of their former companion by adjourning and attending the funeral in a body. Miss Andrews had been a citizen of Auburn but a few years, but during her brief sojourn among us she had made many warm friends by the sterling worth of her character and her amiable disposition. She has suddenly been called away from a sphere of usefulness for which she was admirably fitted, but will live in the hearts of her friends long after her remains are mingled with the dust.

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 2-20-1875
Death of Judge Lisbon Applegate

Judge Lisbon Applegate, at one time a resident of this county and father of George W. Applegate, a well-known citizen amongst us, died at his place of residence in Keytesville, Missouri, on the 23rd day of January last and was buried on the Monday following by the Masonic Fraternity. Judge Applegate was born in Shelby County, Kentucky, July 27, 1803, and in 1822 located in St. Louis. In 1825 he was married to Miss Martin who still survives him, an elderly and respected lady. Judge Applegate was a practical surveyor, assisted in locating the western boundary of Missouri, made extensive surveys in the celebrated Platte purchase, was a member of the constitutional convention of Missouri in 1845, and filled many other important trusts in his state and county. The deceased came to California in 1849 and lived for several years at Lisbon in this county, named after him, and will be remembered by all who knew him with feelings of profound friendship and esteem. His county papers say of him that "among all the old citizens of the county who have passed away, not one was created such a void, and no one of them will be so seriously missed".

Placer Weekly Argus (Auburn), Saturday, 5-13-1876
Found Dead

On Friday of last week, Thomas Archer of Ophir who has for a long time been engaged in chopping wood for Mr. John Hutchinson about four miles from Ophir, after eating a hearty dinner, went back to work saying that he intended to cord up that afternoon what he had chopped and split in the morning. Not returning for his supper, his comrades at the camp became alarmed, and search was made for him, resulting in finding him lying by his rank of wood cold in death. His face and neck were covered with blood, and it was at once surmised that he had met with foul play. He was conveyed to camp, and word sent to Coroner Swett who visited the scene on Saturday, accompanied by Dr. S. A. Denel. When his face was washed, however, it was discovered that the blood which had covered it was from innumerable bites of ants, his head having lain near a nest of these insects after his fall and they having feasted upon him. The washing left his head and face clean and free from bruise or abrasion, except that they were covered with numberless bright red spots indicating where the voracious little insects had been at work. A post mortem examination was held, and from all that could be discovered, the verdict of the jury was that he came to his death by heart disease. In one of the valves of his heart, a foreign, bony excrescence had formed, and this is set down as the immediate cause of his death. Mr. Archer was a native of Ohio and leaves a brother and son in that state. He has worked a long time at wood chopping in the neighborhood where he met his death and was generally respected by those who knew him.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 6-21-1917
Charles Rock Archibald, Pioneer Carpenter, Dies

Charles Rock Archibald, a pioneer carpenter, died Wednesday morning as the sun was rising and so did his life pass out to greet the new in sunshine and happiness. He was born in Montreal, Canada, December 10, 1853 and had reached the age of 63 years. In September 1879, he was joined in wedlock with Marie Combs, who has been his steadfast helpmate since. They lived for a time in Wisconsin, but eleven years ago the call of the west brought the two to California and to Roseville. Here they have made their home. He had followed his vocation as a carpenter and was considered one of the best in the community. He leaves to mourn his death a devoted wife and relatives in Montreal. The funeral services will be held Friday at 10 AM from St. Rose Catholic Church. Interment will be in IOOF Cemetery. The cause of death was a stroke of apoplexy. He had been building a screen porch and stopped to take a drink of lemonade. Shortly thereafter, he complained of pains in the head. It was the beginning of the end which came peacefully, and when life had spent its effort, there had passed away a splendid man, one with a host of friends.

Roseville Press-Tribune, Monday, 8-15-1966

Arthur Armes, 64, a native of Newcastle and a fruit rancher in that community for 40 years, died August 11 in an Auburn hospital. Rosary was recited Friday evening at the Chapel of the Hills, with Mass offered Saturday at 10 AM in St. Joseph’s Catholic Church. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary R. Armes, Newcastle; two sons, Bruce Armes of Newcastle and Larry G. Armes of Imperial; a brother, Fred Armes of Pacific Grove; and two sisters, Mrs. Julia Duncan, Hollister; and Mrs. Margaret Wilson, Placerville.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 3-28-1918
County Clerk Armstrong Passes

County Clerk George W. Armstrong died early Tuesday evening after an illness lasting more than a year. The funeral will be held at Auburn Friday (tomorrow) afternoon at two o’clock at the Walsh-Keena Mortuary parlors. Rev. L. B. Hin will deliver the sermon, and the services will be in charge of the Red Men, Native Sons, and Foresters, of which orders he was a leading member. Born in Placer County, George Armstrong had spent most of his life in this county and during that time has served as a deputy in each office in the county, except that of district attorney. He was appointed to the clerkship last October and served but one day in person when he was compelled to again undergo treatment. Not a person who knew George Armstrong but what loved him. He was one of the kindliest men one could meet and as deputy clerk for years never failed to exert every effort to make life pleasant for those who had business to transact in that office. In his private and lodge life, he was beloved for his many kind thoughts and deeds and was the life of any gathering, always something interesting to say or some good to tell of his fellow men. Many a sturdy man stood with tears in his eyes when he was told that George Armstrong had passed to his reward to a world without labor and pain.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 5-30-1930
Former Clerk’s Widow Summoned at Auburn

Death Wednesday claimed Mrs. Tillie Armstrong of Auburn, widow of the late George Armstrong, county clerk of Placer County 12 years ago, a pioneer resident of Placer County. Mrs. Armstrong for several years served as matron of the Placer County jail, during the administrations of George McAulay and Elmer H. Gum. Among celebrated women prisoners cared for by Mrs. Armstrong were Alma Bell, Mae Magee, and May Silva, all acquitted of murder charges at trials that held great public interest in their day.

Lincoln News-Messenger, 10-3-1913
Passing of a Good Man

After a lingering illness, Ferdinand Arndt died at his home in Lincoln Sunday evening, September 28. The announcement of his death occasioned so surprise as he had been failing rapidly for several days, and his family and friends realized that the end was likely to come at any time. While Mr. Arndt had been a sufferer from asthma for a long time, Bright’s disease was the direct cause of his death. Notwithstanding his suffering, he was patient and resigned and retained his mental activity to the last. During his last days he was surrounded by the members of his family who were devoted and tireless in their efforts to rob death of all its terrors and made his passing tranquil and happy. Ferdinand Arndt was born in Germany, July 31, 1838, and came to this country when he was sixteen years of age. He lived for a brief period in Wisconsin and then went to Missouri where he enlisted in the Confederate army and served with distinction until the close of the war. He came to California in 1872 and three years later located in Placer County where he has resided continuously ever since. Until the year 1910, Mr. Arndt and his family lived in the Mt. Pleasant district where he was engaged in the fruit growing industry. Mr. Arndt was one of the pioneer orchardists in this section of Placer County, and his place was rated among the best orchards in this county. After disposing of his country property a couple of years ago, he came to Lincoln to live and was associated with his son, George Arndt, in the Lincoln Garage at the time of his death. Ferdinand Arndt was one of God’s noblest works – an honest man. He was of such a kind and gentle disposition that his relations with his neighbors were always cordial and pleasant. During all of his life, he courageously met every responsibility and faithfully discharged every obligation as a member of society, friend, neighbor, husband, and father. To his friends he was genial, obliging, considerate, and true; to his family he was devoted and affectionate and in all the walks of his daily life he was worthy of emulation. His life was full of encouragement and inspiration for his children, and the heritage he leaves them is the memory of a stainless life full of good deeds. The funeral was held Wednesday morning from his late residence in Lincoln and was largely attended. Rev. John Brereton officiated, and Mrs. Musser, Mrs. Sparks, and Mrs. Stoops sang softly appropriate funeral hymns. There were many pretty floral pieces. Interment was made in Manzanita Grove. He leaves to mourn his loss his wife and seven children who are:  Mrs. George Warren, Mrs. Will Allspaugh, Miss Bessie Arndt and George Arndt of Lincoln, Mrs. I. H. Allspaugh of Sheridan and Mrs. F. Vermilya of Newcastle.

Roseville Register, Friday, 10-3-1913
Death of Placer Man - Ferdinand Arndt Was Among First Engaging in Fruit Growing

Ferdinand Arndt, a resident of Placer County for more than forty years and one of the first men to engage in fruit growing, which has become the great industry of this section, died in Lincoln Sunday night at the age of 75 years. The funeral was held there Monday from the family home. Mr. Arndt was born in Germany and came to the United States when quite a young man and enlisted as a soldier in the Civil War. After the war was over, he came to California and a few years later set out an orchard on his ranch in the Mt. Pleasant district. In 1910 he sold his farm and orchard, and with his son George became interested in a garage in Lincoln. The surviving relatives are a wife, five daughters, Mrs. George Warren, Mrs. William Alspaugh, Mrs. I. H. Alspaugh, Mrs. F. Vermilyea, Miss Bessie Arndt, George Arndt, and Lester B. Arndt.

Placer Weekly Argus, Auburn, Saturday, 3-15-1879
Dutch Flat Letter

Judge L. B. Arnold died very suddenly at about eight o’clock this morning. He had been complaining for a few days, but there were no apprehensions of fatal or even serious results. As he was kindling the morning fire, a violent pain was experienced in the right side, above the abdomen. The physicians were soon in attendance but without avail. In ten minutes he expired. The remains will be shipped to his family in San Francisco.

Journal-Republican, Auburn, Thursday, 11-4-1954
Raymond Arp Loses Life in Crash

Raymond E. Arp, 60, a resident of Gold Run and former Roseville High School teacher, lost his life when his automobile crashed into a bridge on Highway 99E three miles south of Lincoln Monday. The car overturned into a creek bed, which contained about two feet of water. Highway Patrolman William Bunk arrived at the scene shortly afterward and administered artificial respiration but was unable to revive Arp. A witness, Raymond Vaughn of Sacramento, said the car apparently just drove into the end of the bridge. It did not appear to skid or swerve prior to the accident. Coroner Francis West is conducting an investigation into the death. Two weeks earlier Arp was hospitalized in Auburn after being found in a dazed condition near the North Fork dam. The deceased had been a teacher at Roseville High since 1926. Since he retired in 1951, he had been living at Gold Run where he raised chinchillas. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Virginia Arp; a daughter, Mrs. Walter Zgraggen of Sacramento; and a son, Vincent Arp of Berkeley. Arp held membership in Roseville Lodge of Masons and the Alyn Butler Post, American Legion. Funeral services will be held at 10 AM Thursday in the Lambert funeral parlors in Roseville under the direction of the Farnsworth Mortuary. Cremation will follow.

Roseville Register, Thursday, 11-18-1915
Dr. Ashby Passes Away – Respected Physician is Called by Death Messenger, Had Been Ill Some Time

Doctor Richard H. W. Ashby passed to the great beyond at 2:10 Tuesday morning, and the entire city is in mourning. Richard H. W. Ashby was born in England and was 54 years old at the time of his death. Death was caused by a complication of illness brought on by his having met with an accident some time ago when he fell and broke his right leg above the knee. He had been getting along fine, but last week he was attacked by a severe illness from which he never recovered. All that human kindness could do was done to alleviate the pain. He fell into unconsciousness Thursday and never regained consciousness. The last thing the doctor did before lapsing into unconsciousness was to write a long letter to his mother in England of whom he was very fond and to whose pleasure in life he devoted himself.

He leaves to mourn his death a devoted wife, a loving son, and an affectionate mother, Mrs. Richard Wallace Asby whose maiden name was Beatrice Caroline Phillips. He leaves a brother, Capt. A. M. Ashby, formerly of the British Army, now of Seattle, Wash.; Capt. P. O. Ashby, chaplain in the British Army and now at the front in France; another brother, who is a flag-lieutenant in the British Army, Cecil Ashby. Four sisters survive. They are Mrs. Frederick Coe, wife of Col. Frederick Coe of the British Army; Mrs. Jennings-Brambly, wife of Captain Jennings-Brambly of the British Army; Miss Catherine Ashby; Mrs. Cave Rogers, all of England; and a sister in France. He has several nephews in the army who are now at the front for England. Dr. Ashby came to the United States in 1883 and for a time practiced medicine at Oakdale, Cal., coming to Roseville in 1891 and he has been practicing his profession here ever since. He was an army physician in England before coming here and was considered by his co-workers as a most excellent physician. He was a member of the Loyal Order of Moose and the Fraternal Order of Eagles, of which orders he was an active member and for both of which he was the official physician. The funeral services were conducted by the Fraternal Order of Eagles, a special request of the doctor. Interment was made at the IOOF Cemetery. A large concourse of people attended the services at the West-Harmer Chapel, and all followed the remains to their last resting place. The ritualistic service of the Eagles was made at the grave. The entire city mourns the death of this splendid man. He was a fine citizen, a good husband, a devoted father, and man who made friends with all who came in contact with him. The floral offerings were many and very pretty. Individual pieces were sent by many friends of the family. The Eagles and the Moose sent beautiful pieces. Rev. McNaboe officiated with the services at the grave after which the ritualistic service of the Eagle’s was given.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Friday, 8-12-1927
Body of Frank Asher, Well-Known Roseville Laborer, Found Suicide

The dead body of Frank Asher, well-known resident of Roseville for many years, was found in a cabin in which he had lived for several months in the rear of N. C. Busby’s motorcycle and shoe shop on Vernon Street, between 12 and 1 o’clock Thursday noon, by Mrs. N. C. Busby, Jr. Death was supposed to have resulted from suicide. Some time Sunday night, a gun shot was heard by the Busbys who reside close by. They gave it little thought but upon finding the body yesterday, it is presumed that the shot they heard was inflicted by Mr. Asher. He was seen on the streets by several residents Sunday afternoon and had not been seen by any of his friends since. It is thought that he had gone to the cabin and shot himself Sunday night. Mrs. Busby had gone to a nearby shed about noon Thursday to procure some coal oil, and upon investigating an obnoxious odor, went into the cabin where she discovered the dead body laying on the bed in a bad condition. She notified City Marshal L. B. Allen and Undertaken C. P. Magner, who responded at once. On account of the condition of the body, burial took place last evening about 5:30 in the Odd Fellows Cemetery. Although not buried in Potter’s Field, it was a county burial, several friends of the deceased also taking up a collection to defray expenses for proper burial. Mr. Asher was well-known in Roseville where he had resided for some thirty or more years. He had been employed at various jobs throughout this time, and had lately been employed for some months by the street department of the city. It is thought he was well over sixty years of age. No immediate relatives are known, but it is reported that he has some brothers, although their residences are not known. The coroner’s inquest will be held here some time today.

Roseville Tribune and Register, Wednesday, 10-9-1929
Mrs. Avery Buried Sunday at Auburn

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the Pioneer Methodist Church in Auburn for Mrs. Seney V. Avery, 81, a resident of Placer County for 74 years. Mrs. Avery died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. R. C. Woodbury of Roseville. Mrs. Avery, formerly Miss Seney Boles, came to California in 1855 after an eventful trip via Nicaragua. After serving several years as a teacher, she was married to Ira Avery, who was then in the lumber business at Blue Canyon. For many years, the Averys lived at their ranch home in the Monte Rio district. Several months ago, Avery was called by death, and Mrs. Avery was taken ill shortly afterward. In addition to Mrs. Woodbury, she is survived by one son, J. C. Avery, an orchardist.