George D. Ramsey

Among the representative farmers in the vicinity of Hanford is George D. Ramsey, who was born in Knox county, Mo., October 28, 1866, a son of John Wilson and Eliza A. {McVey) Ramsey. The elder Ramsey was born April 3, 1843, in Adams county, Ill., remaining there until moving to Knox county, Mo. Here he lived until he brought his family to California in 1871. Arriving in this state he settled near Danville, Contra Costa county, one year later he went to the Panoche valley in Fresno county, and three years later came to what is now Kings county, settling on the 'Hanford and Tulare road. He was a member of the Settlers' league during the Mussel slough troubles. He worked on the Lakeside ditch and helped build and was superintendent of the Mussel slough ditch, also working on the construction of the Wutchumna ditch. Later he settled down to farming and was one of the first men to put in a crop on Tulare lake, from which he reaped a good harvest. He had to do with every progressive movement in the county, was a Mason before leaving for the west, and also held membership in the A.O.U.W. foi many years. While a resident of Fresno county he served as deputy sheriff and during his life was for many years a school trustee. From 1906 he made his home with his son, George D., his death occurring January 24, 1912, aged nearly sixty-nine years. His wife passed away on December 14, 1894, aged forty- eight. Their three children survive, John Theodore, George D., and Mrs. Effie P. McClellan.

George D. Ramsey was. brought to California by his parents when he was about five years of age, and in October, 1875, was brought to Kings, then Tulare, county. He attended school until he was about sixteen years old, meanwhile working with his father on the ranch, and eventually he took up farming for himself; and he later drifted into the dairy business, in which he is now making a substantial success. Kings county remained his home until 1901, when he moved to Elk Grove, Sacramento county, and during the ensuing five years made a success of his venture there. Returning to Kings county at the end of that time he bought eighty acres of land from his father and engaged in raising hogs and horses and cultivating fruit. He is constantly developing his place along those different lines and in each of them has come to the front. What success he has made has been by his own efforts.

On November 20, 1898, Mr. Ramsey was united in marriage with Mrs. Margaret P. (Jones) Lewis, and of this union four chil­dren have been born: Velma I., George E., John H., and Delbert E. Wherever he has lived Mr. Ramsey has exercised a generous public spirit which has won him recognition as a helpful citizen, for he has been solicitous for the general welfare and devoted to the best . interests of his fellow townsmen of all classes.

Copyright © 2007-2017 Marc Irish. All Rights Reserved.  Material on this site may NOT be commercially reproduced, displayed, modified or distributed without the prior written permission of the copyright holder. You may copy the content for your personal use, but please acknowledge the website as the source of the material.