Edward G. Sellers

Among the active citizens of Lemoore is numbered Edward G. Sellers, the progressive and flourishing farmer and contractor, who is honored not only as a worthy citizen of that place, but as having been the first rancher in this section to install a cream separator in connection with his dairy. This, however, is but one example of the aggressive initiative spirit which has marked Mr. Sellers' entire business career.

It was at Fruitvale, now a part of the site of Oakland, Cal., that Edward G. Sellers was born July 24, 1864, a son of Samuel Sellers. He was reared in Contra Costa county, where his father farmed, and received his education in the public schools near Antioch, and it was in that vicinity that he had his early experience in farming and fruit raising. In 1885, when he was twenty-one years old, he settled on a ranch near Lemoore and since then at various times he has bought several pieces of property. The first was his present alfalfa ranch of one hundred and sixty acres seven miles southeast of Lemoore. Another one hundred and sixty acres, located five miles south of Lemoore, he sold in 1905 after having put some improvements on it. Later he bought eighty acres four miles south of Hanford, which he improved with thirty acres of vineyard, putting the remainder under alfalfa, and this he sold in 1904. A year later he bought two hun­dred and twenty acres near Stratford, all in alfalfa, which is one of his present holdings. In 1902 he had invested in twenty-five acres, three miles north of Lemoore, of which eight acres is in vineyard, seventeen acres in alfalfa, -which improved place is a valued part of his property.

For many years Mr. Sellers has been a contractor in teaming, freighting, ditching and moving dirt. He did most of the ditching and much of the work on the levees on the Empire Investment Com­pany's ranch of nineteen thousand acres near Lemoore, a large amount of levee work on the Riverdale reclamation project, and much heavy teaming in the hauling of pipe and machinery for a pipe line of the Standard Oil Company. In 1910 G. B. Chinn became his part­ner in this enterprise. They employ an average of twenty men the year round and their business requires the work of fifty horses. Mr. Sellers is a stockholder in the Chinn Warehouse Company of Lemoore and is a stockholder in and a director of the First National Bank of Lemoore.

Mr. Sellers married July 24, 1887, Miss Ella Graves, a daughter of Nathan L. Graves, born in Calaveras county, Cal., but at the time of her marriage she was living in Kings county.

Copyright © 2007-2017 Marc Irish. All Rights Reserved.  Material on this site may NOT be commercially reproduced, displayed, modified or distributed without the prior written permission of the copyright holder. You may copy the content for your personal use, but please acknowledge the website as the source of the material.