Colusa County Biographies - R

Biographies and photos source:

  1. Colusa County: Its History Traced from a State of Nature through the Early Period of Settlement and Development, to the Present Day with a Description of its Resources, Statistical Tables, Etc., Justus H. Rogers

  2. Biographical Sketches of Pioneers and Prominent Residents, Orland, California, 1891.

A digitized version of the book can be found on Google Books.

Please note: many of the names in this index were abbreviated with initials. The full names of those individuals has been added {in braces} when possible.

Return to the Biographies Index

Radcliffe, C. D. (p. 458)
Charles Daniel Radcliffe is a native of Bureau County, Illinois, born in the year 1866. He commenced work as "printer's devil" in 1880, and, after learning the trade, worked for four years as type-setter and reporter on various newspapers in Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, and Omaha, Nebraska. In 1887 he came to Colusa, and purchased a half interest in the Herald, of that place, and in the following year became its sole owner. The Herald is a pronounced Republican journal and a forcible advocate of home interests, and though published in a county which annually rolls up not less than nine hundred Democratic majority, the Herald is nevertheless appreciated and well supported. Mr. Radcliffe was married, in December, 1887, to Miss Frances Martin.
Photo of Charles Radcliffe

Charles Daniel Radcliffe

Reager, Martin A. (p. 361)
This gentleman is the oldest settler now living in Colusa County with the exception of W. S. Green. He was born at Flint Hill, Virginia, in the year 1829 and removed with his parents ten years later to Marion County, Missouri, where he passed another decade in the labors of the farm. In 1849, then only twenty years of age, young Reager was smitten with the gold fever and set out across the plains for the goal of his expectations. Driving an ox-team, it required one hundred and fifty days to complete his journey from Missouri to Shasta County, California, where he arrived in the fall of 1849. In the fall of 1850, he settled on the Montgomery grant, about ten miles northeast of Orland. He lived there twelve years, when he moved to Stony Creek, four miles east of Orland, having preempted part of his farm and having purchased the other part from the railroad and of the State Agricultural College lands. On first locating here, he was occupied in teaming and stock-raising. His land is now all under improvement, no unimportant part of which is the cultivation of a fine orchard of cherries, apples, plums, nectarines, and apricots. He was among the first in the county to engage in fruit-raising.

Mr. Reager was married, September 2, 1860, to Mrs. Amanda Hemphill, a native of Pennsylvania, and they have four children. His home is a pleasant, attractive, and hospitable one, and his farm embraces over six hundred acres.
Rose, Hon. A. H. (p. 405)
Albert H. Rose, who has for many years occupied a large space in the public eye of California, was born in Delaware County, Ohio, July 26, 1827. His father, Henry M., was a farmer and bred his son to the same manly occupation, allowing young Albert the opportunity, when obtainable, of acquiring a common-school education, which was the best the period and the locality could impart. Albert continued to work on the parental acres, cultivating his mind with solid and wholesome reading, till he had reached his twenty-second year, when he commenced working for himself.

The year 1851 was a remarkable one in the annals of California immigration. Thousands upon thousands at the East severed their old home or local associations and pressed eagerly forward by land and by sea to the strange romantic land of gold and adventure. There was no discouraging, no delaying of these daring spirits. Among those who caught the contagion was young Rose, who left his home in Ohio, January 25 1851, on his way to California by the Isthmus route. He arrived in San Francisco March 21 following. Here he wasted no time in taking useless observations, but pushed on to Fine Gold Gulch, in Fresno County, where he at once tried his inexperienced hand at gold seeking. He remained here till July 15 of the same year, when he started for the placer mines on the American River. Here he continued to work for nearly six months, when glowing reports of the rich finds in Indian Canyon lured him to set out and try his luck there. He remained in these mines till March 15, 1852, leaving them for Amador, Amador County, at which place he took up his abode, residing that county for seventeen years, being extensively engaged in the business of quartz mining most of his time and meeting with considerable success.

In December, 1869, Mr. Rose moved to San Francisco, and while engaged in business, made his home there for a brief period, though he subsequently resided in Oakland and Menlo Park, In 1869-70 he became much interested in the reclamation of lands in Colusa and Yolo Counties, which led to his purchasing a large tract on Grand Island, on which he made his home and whereon he has continued ever since 1877. Here he directs the operations of his farm of six thousand acres and at his large and comfortable ranch residence dispenses that warm hospitality proverbial on the great farms of the State.

Mr. Rose was first married, January 1, 1863, in Amador County, to Miss Katharine M. Barry, who died in 1868, leaving him a son and a daughter. January I, 187o, he was married to Mrs. Sarah C. Boling, of San Francisco, his wife being a sister of Mrs. Judge S. S. Wright, of that city. Mrs. Rose died May 22, 1872, by whom he had also a son and daughter. Mr. Rose, on March 14, 1877, was again married, his wife being Mrs. Caroline M. Brooks, by whom he has three children living, two girls and one boy.

As a public man Mr. Rose has been quite conspicuous. His executive ability and wisdom in counsel have won him cordial recognition both among legislators and his associates in the Democratic party, of which party he has always been an unswerving

In 1865 he was elected State Senator, representing the counties of Amador and Alpine. This was at a special election caused by the death of G. W. Seator shortly after the general elections. In this campaign the popularity of Mr. Rose was solidly attested by the fact that he, a Democrat, carried his district by two hundred and thirty-eight majority, which shortly before had given Mr. Lincoln for President over five hundred Republican majority. On taking his seat he evinced that fidelity to duty and that useful familiarity with public affairs as to render him most flatteringly conspicuous, so much so that during the session of 1867-68, when the election of a United States Senator was the absorbing question before the Legislature, he had a large and devoted following who pushed him forward for that exalted position. The choice, however, fell upon Eugene Casserly. Mr. Rose has been a member of almost every Democratic State Central Committee since the year 1856, and was a delegate to the National Convention which nominated Seymour and Blair. During the exciting gubernatorial campaigns of Haight and Irwin, he took a most active and prominent part, working with a vigor and zeal which told heavily in the successful aspirations of these candidates for the chief magistracy of the State.

As Mr. Rose has always deeply interested himself in the reclamation of lands and the unobstructed navigation of the rivers of the State, and is quite an authority on these subjects, his selection in being sent, in March, 1890, to Washington as a member of a delegation to secure legislation to restore and protect the navigation of the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers and their tributaries, was a wise and appropriate one. He has also served at his own home as trustee of Reclamation District No. 108 since its first organization, and of which Board he was president till August, 1889.
Photo of Albert Rose

Hon. Albert H. Rose

Rosenberger, John D. (p. 454)
This gentleman, one of the most extensive farmers in Antelope Valley, was born in Augusta County, Virginia, March 17, 1834. He was raised on a farm, and in 1859 he went to Montgomery City, Missouri and purchased a farm near that place. On April 2, 1865, he left Montgomery City for California, overland, arriving at Fosters Gap, foot of the Cascade Mountains, in September following. He lived for one year three miles west of Corvallis, Oregon, and another year on Long Farm, Benton County, Oregon, coming to his present home, in Antelope Valley, nine miles from Maxwell on October 1, 1867.

Mr. Rosenberger was married, September 4, 1860 to Miss Tabitha Devine, a native of Missouri, by whom he has six children. His farm on which he resides embraces nearly fifteen hundred acres of land and is devoted to grain and stock-raising.