Colusa County Biographies - N

Biographies and photos source:

  1. Colusa County: Its History Traced from a State of Nature through the Early Period of Settlement and Development, to the Present Day with a Description of its Resources, Statistical Tables, Etc., Justus H. Rogers

  2. Biographical Sketches of Pioneers and Prominent Residents, Orland, California, 1891.

A digitized version of the book can be found on Google Books.

Please note: many of the names in this index were abbreviated with initials. The full names of those individuals has been added {in braces} when possible.

Return to the Biographies Index

Nelson, H. W. C. (p. 436)
Hubbard William Clabourn Nelson was born in the State of Tennessee, on August 15, 1830. His father was a practicing physician, and after receiving an education in the school of the neighborhood, the subject of his sketch decided to follow in the footsteps of his father, and entered upon the study of medicine with a view to making the healing art his profession in life. He had made small progress in his studies when the news of the discovery of gold in California decided the elder Mr. Nelson to become one of the great army of adventurous Argonauts to cross the plains to the new Golconda in search of fame and fortune. H. W. C. Nelson joined a party of which his father was a member, and which left the city of Memphis, Tennessee, on March 17, 1849, taking the Santa Fe trail. The company arrived at Sacramento on September 18 of the same year. Dr. Nelson opened a hospital at Sacramento, but young Nelson went to the mines on the American River, and followed that pursuit with varying success for four years. In 1853 he moved to Yuba County and invested his hard-earned money in a farm of one hundred and sixty acres. In the following year he engaged in freighting between Sacramento and Marysville. In the fall of 1857 Mr. Nelson came to Colusa County, settling on Stony Creek. He entered into partnership with Thomas McClanahan and engaged in stock-raising and wheat-growing. This partnership lasted until 1877, since which time Mr. Nelson has farmed several hundred acres of land which he owns. In 1887 he was instrumental in organizing the Bank of Orland, of which corporation he is a director and vice-president. He lived three miles east of Orland on his large farm, and enjoys himself in looking after his extensive interests.
Photo of Hubbard Nelson

Hubbard William Clabourn Nelson