Colusa County Biographies - L

Biographies and photos source:

  1. Colusa County: Its History Traced from a State of Nature through the Early Period of Settlement and Development, to the Present Day with a Description of its Resources, Statistical Tables, Etc., Justus H. Rogers

  2. Biographical Sketches of Pioneers and Prominent Residents, Orland, California, 1891.

A digitized version of the book can be found on Google Books.

Please note: many of the names in this index were abbreviated with initials. The full names of those individuals has been added {in braces} when possible.

Return to the Biographies Index

Liening, John H. (p. 412)
John H. Liening was born in Germany, January 6, 1818. On his father's side the ancestry were Germans as far back as can be traced. His great grandfather was a soldier in the Thirty years' war, being in the service during all those years. On his mother's side the ancestry were Scotch, going from Scotland to Germany during the reign of William, Prince of Orange. His father was a miller and small farmer. At the age of fourteen young Liening emigrated to the United States, in the Dutch brig Amalia, landing in Baltimore, Maryland. After a few days in Baltimore, this adventurous youth started on foot across the Alleghany Mountains to Pittsburg. He went by canal-boat to Cincinnati, Ohio, and there bound himself to a pork merchant for three years for board and clothing, and was to receive one year's schooling during the time. He remained one year, received the board, but no schooling, and the clothing consisted of one well-worn plug hat, which he left behind him.

The same year his father, mother, six brothers, and two sisters, and uncle with wife and children, all came from Germany to make their homes in America. The cholera was raging in Cincinnati when they arrived. They at once hurried out into the country, where they expected to buy land, but on the journey one of his brothers died of the dreaded disease. The others reached their destination in Auglaize County, where, between Monday and Saturday, all of the two families, except one sister, died of the same disease.

The next year, 1834, the boy started on the Chickasaw for Mobile, where he stayed for two years, working on steamers as cabin-boy. In 1836 he went to Florida and enlisted for the Seminole War. In 1838 he returned to Cincinnati, where he was married at not quite twenty years of age. He lived in Vicksburg, Memphis, and many other Southern cities, including New Orleans, coming to California “around the Horn” in 1849. The journey occupied seven months. Arriving in San Francisco October 20, 1849, he engaged in business there and was quite successful. In the spring of 1850 he started, in company with several others, for the mines on Feather River, just above Rich Bar, which proved afterwards so very rich, but which they failed to discover, although working on both sides of the Rich Bar for about a month. He spent about three months in hunting Gold Lake but finally found Pyramid Lake. On the route to Feather River they passed any number of emigrant wagons deserted in the snow, the carcasses of the animals lying in the harness, the wagons containing many articles of value.

In the fall of the same year he went to Horsetown, five miles from Shasta. Having spent over three thousand dollars prospecting, he began work with only twenty-five cents clean cash and three mules. In the spring of 1851 he bought goods at Sacramento and hauled them to Shasta, taking them on to the mines on pack-mules. He came by way of Colusa on those trips, took a liking to the place and promised to return some future day and locate, and did locate here in October, 1851. He opened a restaurant and lodging-house, commencing this business about where Spaulding's shop stands at present. At this time an incident occurred worth relating. A man came to the restaurant one evening, inquiring if a steamer had gone down the river. When told it had just gone, he exclaimed, “Well, then, my money is gone!” On being asked what he meant, he said he had stopped at Moon's ranch with his pack-train, and, carrying into the house what, to all outward appearances, was an ordinary flour-sack containing a camp kit—cooking utensils, bacon, flour, etc. had laid it on a box behind the door. In the bottom of the sack was a buckskin bag containing over four thousand dollars' worth of gold-dust. Now the box he had laid the flour sack on was marked for Sacramento, which he did not notice. While out attending to his mules, he heard the boat whistle, and, hurrying into the house, looked, of course, for the sack—it had been put on the boat by mistake. Moon, on being made acquainted with the contents of the sack, at once lent him a fine horse to overtake the boat, which he did at a big bend in the river, but it would not stop for him. He tried to get someone to go to Sacramento to save his money, but no one seemed to care to take the journey, as the country was flooded with water. He cried and fretted over his loss until Mr. Liening's sympathies were aroused and he offered to make the trip. Donning an extra shirt, but without a coat, he mounted a fine California horse and started, at nine o'clock at night, for Sacramento. There was no moon and it was cloudy. After swimming his horse and getting wet to the skin several times, he finally arrived at Sacramento just as the boat was unloading its freight, and succeeded in getting the sack containing the gold-dust. Upon its return to the owner at Colusa, that individual generously paid Mr. Liening's expenses and no more.

In 1854 Mr. Liening returned to the East and brought out his family, and in 1856 sold out his business in town and engaged in cattle-raising, until 1861, when the war broke out. He enlisted as a private in Company D, First Cavalry California Volunteers, and proceeded to Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. He was in various skirmishes with Indians and Confederates and served until 1863, when he was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and returned to California as recruiting officer. Soon after, he tendered his resignation, which was accepted.

He bought the Colusa House property. He was appointed postmaster, and his most active service during the war was in the next two years in Colusa, as is well known in the county and State. To show his zeal for any cause in which he might be engaged or have interest in, the following incident is related. When the news was brought from Marysville, by Harry Marcus, a stage-driver, of the assassination of Lincoln, and while he was opening the mail, someone passed a note into the office, stating that certain persons were taking up subscriptions to buy powder to fire a salute in jubilation over the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Mr. Liening stepped out of the office into the room where quite a number of people were waiting for the mail, read the note, and said, “If any person or persons should fire a salute in gratification over the assassination, I will kill the first man so engaged and continue shooting until the last one is killed or I am shot down.”

In 1870 he sold out his interest in the Colusa House property, and, being broken down in health, started East on a trip for his health, which finally ended in a visit to his birthplace, near Hamburg, Germany, and many large cities of the Continent. He was in Paris at the time war was declared between France and Germany, and returned to Colusa on that account. He was next engaged in the Parks dam excitement, and became an active member of the party who opposed the building of the dam, and he said then that the land could not be reclaimed by dams, but must eventually have canals to carry off the surplus water during flood-time. He has held several public positions, that of Public Administrator, Justice of the Peace, and at present is Town Recorder, Justice of the Peace, and Notary Public, and is a popular officer.

In 1852 he was invited to witness a curious performance at Doctor Semple's home. The doctor was a particular friend, and told him that something very strange had taken place there the night before, in the way of receiving communications from the spirit world. Though born and educated as a Catholic, Mr. Liening had become an atheist. That evening, on account of business, he did not reach the doctor's house until a late hour, and, as houses in those days were small, he found only standing-room for himself. There was quite a large table in the center of the room, with about a dozen people seated around it, equally divided as to sex. Very soon after Mr. Liening's arrival, a name was spelled out for him, Henry Liening, claiming him as his father. At that time his family was in the East and he was not known in Colusa to have a family anywhere. He had lost four children during his married life and one was named Henry. The incident aroused his curiosity and he set to work to investigate the subject most earnestly, as he was not satisfied with the belief of an atheist, but still hoped for more light, and at the expiration of two years from that time became convinced that Spiritualism was true, and is still firm in his belief.

Although at this date Mr. Liening is seventy-two years of age, he is able to attend to every duty and has the appearance of a much younger man than he really is, and has the promise of years to come.
Photo of John Liening

John H. Liening

Logan, Hugh A. (p. 443)
Hugh A. Logan, or Uncle Hugh, as he is generally termed by his hose of friends, by his kindness of heart, impulsive hospitality and social disposition, is representative of those natural traits of character which distinguished the early pioneers of this State, of whom he is one. He was born in Montgomery County, Missouri, September 6, 1830, and was among the early permanent settlers of the county, He secured a large body of fine land laying on the eastern slope of the foot-hills, nearly west of Norman, where he has ever since raised stock and farmed on an extensive scale. Uncle Hugh is never backward in helping the needy, is strong in his friendships and forgiving to his enemies.
Love, Pallas (p. 449)
Pallas Love was born in Montgomery County, Missouri, September 28, 1853. At the age of ten years he crossed the plains for California. He worked on a farm on Grand Island until 1878, when he located in Colusa, and has since been engaged in the liquor business. He is a staunch Democrat and takes an active interest in politics.
Photo of Pallas Love

Pallas Love

Luhrman, Francis J. (p.451)
This gentleman was born in the Province of Hanover, Germany, February 18, 1833. He enjoyed the opportunities for acquiring the rudiments of an education, and before reaching his manhood had learned the trade of blacksmithing. He left Germany in 1853 and arrived at New Orleans. After drifting about for some time in various shops, learning the language and studying the American methods used in his trade, he located, in 1855, in Fort Madison, Iowa. In 1859 the Pike's Peak excitement created an enthusiasm for finding sudden wealth only exceeded by that of the early explorations for gold in California, and Luhrman being seized with the gold fever set out for Colorado. On the way there he changed his mind and came to California. On arriving, he went to the mines at Dutch Flat and worked there five months. Tiring of this pursuit, he came to Marysville, opened a blacksmith shop and worked there five years. In 1865 he came to the town of Colusa and worked at his trade one year. He next purchased three hundred and twenty acres on Freshwater, five miles west of Williams, selling it out a year afterwards and returning to his forge at Colusa, where he made his home from 1869 to 1875. In the latter year he moved on his present place of residence, having purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land. Besides raising grain and hay, Mr. Luhrman in an enthusiastic fruit cultivator, and his large orchard is noted in the county for the excellence of its variety of fruits.

Mr. Luhrman was married, May 1, 1866, to Mrs. Wilhelmina Wallschmidt, by whom he has two children, who have received their majority.