Colusa County Biographies - J

Biographies and photos source:

  1. Colusa County: Its History Traced from a State of Nature through the Early Period of Settlement and Development, to the Present Day with a Description of its Resources, Statistical Tables, Etc., Justus H. Rogers

  2. Biographical Sketches of Pioneers and Prominent Residents, Orland, California, 1891.

A digitized version of the book can be found on Google Books.

Please note: many of the names in this index were abbreviated with initials. The full names of those individuals has been added {in braces} when possible.

Return to the Biographies Index

Jackson, A. A. (p. 440)
{Alvin Augustus Jackson} is a native of the Pine Tree State, born December 27, 1842. He spent his early life on this father's farm, and secured a common-school education. In September, 1863, he came to California via Panama. After spending one year on a ranch, he went to Puget Sound and worked in a sawmill. In 1865, he engaged in mining, following that pursuit inMontana and Nevada. In 1873 he came to Colusa and purchased an interest in a lumber yard with W. D. Dean, and the business was run under the firm name of W. D. Dean & Co. Two years later the firm purchased the lumber yard atPrinceton, which was conducted under the name of A. A. Jackson. In 1879 the Colusa Lumber Company was incorporated, with yards at Colusa, Princeton, Williams and Willows, when Mr. Jackson moved to Willows, where he has ever since resided. In 1888 he engaged in the lumber business at Modesto under the firm name of A. A. Jackson & Co. Mr. Jackson is a leading Republican of the county, takes an absorbing interest in public affairs, and is always forward in aiding enterprises for public good.
Johannsen, Hans (p. 453)
This gentleman is a native of Holstein, Germany, and was born in the year 1850. He came to America in 1869, and shortly after his arrival located in San Joaquin County, California, where he followed farming for several years. In 1870 he came to his present abode, twelve miles west of Williams, and having secured six hundred and forty acres of good land, he made it his permanent home. Besides cultivating grain extensively and raising stock, Mr. Johannsen wisely foresees that the fruit industry of his rich lands must in the near future be a source of great wealth, and hence he has already set out nearly two hundred fruit-trees, and will continue to enlarge their area of cultivation. Mr. Johannsen was married, at Willows, in 1880, to Miss Mattie Bender, who whom he has three children. The home of Mr. Johannsen is a model of neatness and comfort, and the evidences of intelligence, of interest in books, literature and music, found here are indicative of the refinement of his home circle.
Jones, E. W. (p. 387)
Among the residents of Colusa County prominent for their energy, business endowments, as also for the esteem in which they are justly held, Edward Winslow Jones is found in the front rank. He was born in Waukesha, Wisconsin, July 23, 1848. His father, James W. Jones, was one of the early pioneers of California, arriving in El Dorado County in the spring of 1850, where he engaged in mining first and afterwards in the hotel and express business, till the year 1853. In that year he located a farm eight miles north of Colusa, and in 1857 was a candidate for the Assembly from Colusa and Tehama Counties, against Ned Lewis, in which the latter, after a stirring contest, was elected by only three votes. In the early days of the settlement of Colusa County, the elder Jones was selected, by the settlers, one of a committee of three to proceed to Washington City and represent their interests against the confirmation of the Cambuston grant. He fulfilled his mission there to the satisfaction of his clients, in proving to the-Interior Department the fraudulency of the grant. It will be observed that the father of the subject of this sketch was an active citizen of Colusa County in his day.

In 1859 the elder Jones sent for his family at the East to rejoin him at his new home on the farm in this county, where young Edward passed the following seven years. Having previously received a good common-school education in Wisconsin, he was sent to the State Normal School in San Francisco, where he graduated in 1868. He supplemented the knowledge there acquired with a course in book-keeping and commercial methods.

Returning now to Colusa, he entered the office of his father, who was largely engaged in the grain trade. His father dying shortly afterward, it devolved upon him to settle the parental estate.

In 1870 he organized at Colusa the firm of E. W. Jones & Co., to carry on the buying and selling of grain, which business he still conducts successfully. This firm is the owner of the following warehouses: Grangers, of Colusa, Colusa Warehouse, at Colusa, the warehouse at Sites and another at Lurline, having a combined capacity of twenty-five thousand tons. The business conducted in these warehouses is of most extensive proportions, seeing that this firm purchased and stored, in the year 1889, forty thousand tons of wheat, and for the year ending March I, 1889, four hundred thousand pounds of wool.

During the long period of diverse activities in which Mr. Jones has conducted business, he has not neglected his duty to his townsmen in local matters of a public nature, nor have they failed to appreciate his services, given gratuitously. He was the first town treasurer of Colusa, under its new and present charter, and has occupied the position of city trustee for twelve consecutive years, a portion of this time serving as president of the Board. He has likewise served as school trustee for eight years.

Though Mr. Jones is a Republican and resides in a Demo­cratic town, its citizens have retained him in office for the past twenty years. Though these offices were purely positions of honor and without salary or fees attached, their incumbency by Mr. Jones is as much a tribute to his unselfish usefulness as it is an evidence of the regard in which he is held personally by his political opponents. He went before the people, having been nominated, August 2, 1890, by the Republican convention for the office of County Treasurer, and was elected by a majority of twenty-seven votes. He is held in high esteem by his party, of whose County Central Committee he has been chairman during the past eight years.

Mr. Jones was the first president of the Colusa and Lake Railway, and after its consolidation with the Colusa Road, he was chosen its vice-president, which position he has ever since held.

Even amid the multiplicity of diverse business matters, Mr. Jones finds time to take a practical interest in the promotion of fruit culture, and cultivates a handsome orchard of ten acres planted to prunes and pears.

Mr. Jones was married, June 14, 187o, to Miss Nellie A. Morris, of Colusa County, a native daughter of California, by whom he is the father of four children, three of whom are living, one son and two daughters.
Photo of Edward Jones

Edward Winslow Jones

Jones, Tilden (p. 452)
Is a native of Chickasaw County, Iowa, and born there December 19, 1856. He received an education in the public schools of his county and was employed on a farm till he reached this State. He came to Williams in 1876. For a time he worked on a ranch, familiarizing himself with California ways, and then entered the saddlery and harness business, conducting it successfully for two years. In 1885 Mr. Jones saw a good opening in the livery stable business in the same town of Williams, and embarked therein, carrying it on with profit to the present time. Associated with him is A. J. Smith. They conduct the largest business in their line in this part of the county. They also own the tri-weekly line of stages from Williams to Wilbur Springs.
Julian, H. B. (p. 398)
{Haywood Bennett Julian} This public-spirited gentleman and model farmer, who resides about six miles northeast of Elk Creek, was born in Tennessee in the year 1830. He was raised on the farm and received the benefits of a common-school education. He came to California in 1853, making the journey by the Isthmus of Panama. He first occupied himself in this State in working in nearly all the mining camps in Tuolumne County. He came to Colusa County in 1858, but settled permanently on his pres­ent home place, where he owns nine thousand acres of excellent land. This land is devoted to grain and stock raising. Besides this, he takes just pride in his extensive orchard which flourishes in abundance the best varieties of peaches, apricots, nectarines, almonds, apples, plums, and grapes. So productive is his land in grain that it is no uncommon thing for him to raise more than fifty bushels of wheat to the acre. But Mr. Julian believes that the future industry in this region will be fruit culture, and that, by degrees, it is now steadily supplanting the cultivation of wheat. He thinks that in a few years the large ranches of this valley will be divided up into twenty and forty-acre fruit farms, on which colonists will acquire comfortable homes and lay up large annual savings.

Mr. Julian was married, in 1866, to Miss Susan A. Small, of Colusa County, and five children bless their union.