Colusa County Biographies - H

Biographies and photos source:

  1. Colusa County: Its History Traced from a State of Nature through the Early Period of Settlement and Development, to the Present Day with a Description of its Resources, Statistical Tables, Etc., Justus H. Rogers

  2. Biographical Sketches of Pioneers and Prominent Residents, Orland, California, 1891.

A digitized version of the book can be found on Google Books.

Please note: many of the names in this index were abbreviated with initials. The full names of those individuals has been added {in braces} when possible.

Return to the Biographies Index

Hagan, P. (p. 442)
{Patrick Hagan} This gentleman was born in Ireland in 1844, and came to New York in 1862, residing on Long Island seven years. In 1869, he came to California and engaged in forming in our interior of the State. He is now located on his farm of four hundred and eighty acres, five miles northwest of the town of Maxwell, where he is engaged in raising grain and hogs. As Mr. Hagan is an ardent supporter of irrigation measures, being also one of the directors of the Central Irrigation District, he is necessarily impressed with the possibilities of the county in the way of fruit-raising. His own efforts in that direction in cultivating oranges, grapes, pears, apricots, peaches and other fruit, have taught him practically what can be done. Mr. Hagan was married, in 1867, in New York, to Miss Maria Kane, and has nine children.
Hagar, Colonel George (p. 382)
The subject of this biographical notice was born in Lincoln, Massachusetts, on January 17, 1820, and is the son of Elisha Hagar, a sturdy tiller of an exhausting soil. Young George in early life had the advantage of receiving a common-school education and a course of study at Woburn Academy, which laid for him the foundation of a life of usefulness. Upon leaving the academy, the alternative was offered to him by his father of choosing one of two vocations. He could either pursue his studies further by taking a full collegiate course in some of the many eminent institutions of learning in his native State, and thus prepare himself for one of the professions, or he might devote himself immediately to mercantile pursuits. In consonance with his own tastes and ambitions, young Hagar chose the latter course, and so at the age of sixteen years he entered a general merchandise store at Keene, New Hampshire. Here he remained seven years, justifying, by his aptitude for business, the wisdom of his selection of a career, which was destined to make him years afterwards one of the most successful business men in Colusa County.

With one of his pronounced talents for commercial pursuits, it was but natural that he should engage in business for himself. Hence we find him seven years later in business for himself, conducting a general store most successfully in the same town of Keene. The announcement that gold had been discovered in California had scarcely more than reached the quiet little New Hampshire town in which Mr. Hagar was engaged in business, when he became seized with an ardent desire to cast his lot in the new gold-fields. Disposing of his business, he left the land of small profits and social comfort, and, on March I, 1849, embarked in a sailing vessel for California via Cape Horn, and after nearly a six months' voyage he arrived in San Francisco, and immediately thereafter he set out for the mines. Every­body went first to the mines in these brave old Argonaut days.

Colonel Hagar first located at Big Bar, on the Mokelumne River, studying the rude mechanism of sluice-box, rocker and “long torn” and endeavoring to wash a fortune out of them. Two months' trial here convinced him that the precious yellow flakes, or grains, which were coaxed from the grass roots and river beds were not inclined to come his way. Then he started for Stockton, which at this period had become quite a supply point for the mines. No sooner had he arrived there than he returned to his old love, the mercantile business, and continued to conduct a general store for a period of four years.

In 1852, Colonel Hagar first came to Colusa, and in company with others purchased the Jimeno grant. Having now become fairly well off in this world's goods, he decided to locate in San Francisco and there branch out in pursuits large enough to be commensurate with his ambition. But after frequent visits to Colusa, he abandoned this design and concluded to locate permanently in this place, in the year 1860.

In conjunction with several prominent business men of Colusa, he was one of the charter members in the organization, in 187o, of the Colusa County Bank (a sketch of which prosperous institution will be found elsewhere), and of which Colonel Hagar has been president for the last eight years. As a conservative and reliable factor in a large and rapidly-increasing agricultural community, the influence of this bank has been beneficially felt in a co-operative way, in full touch and sym­pathy with the county's needs and growing condition.

Colonel Hagar's home is located on the outskirts of the town of Colusa. His residence is one of the most roomy and sightful in the county, surrounded by beautiful and well-kept gardens. In 1867, he was married to Miss Sarah A. Winship, of Colusa, by whom he has an only child, Miss Alice W., born in 1871, and who was graduated from Snell Seminary, Oakland, last year with high honors.

Besides being the owner of several extensive ranches in the county, Colonel Hagar is largely interested in property in the town of Colusa. For the Indian he has especial sympathy, and for those of the old Colus tribe, or their children, he will always provide work, help or a home on his ranches.

In his young manhood he enlisted in the New Hampshire militia and was elected colonel of the Twentieth Regiment. Always a consistent member of the Republican party, he can view a Democratic majority snow his ticket under in the county at every election with undisturbed composure and then “fix his flint” and cast another Republican ballot at the succeeding election with the same good-humor as if his party had been triumphant. During the war he was enrolled in the Union Army, but was never mustered into service.

A quiet, far-seeing, mentally well-poised gentleman in business is Colonel Hagar, and when not found at his own hospitable home or at the bank in Colusa, he is generally either attending to his extensive farming interests or is enjoying a period of rest in San Francisco, where he is a member of the Pacific Union Club and of the Association of Pioneers. Photo of George Hagar's Residence
Photo of George Hagar

Col. George Hagar

Hannum, Perry (p. 438)
Perry Hannum was born near Nashville, Tennessee, in 1836. He is of German, or rather of Pennsylvania German, extraction. His father being a farmer, young Hannum's early life was passed in the same calling. He was married in 1857, and, owning to the ill health of his wife and the depressed condition of affairs in Tennessee, he came to California in 1869, accompanied by his family. Shortly after arriving in San Francisco, he went to Yolo County, where he had a brother residing. After one year spent in that locality, he came to Colusa County, and, by making a small payment down, he bought four hundred acres of land from the railroad company, which transaction marked the commencement of his prosperity. He afterwards bought range land and bands of sheep and hogs, and was now on the highway to financial success. His landed interests now include over five thousand acres of foot-hill land west of Arbuckle, all fenced in, nine hundred and sixty acres of grand land east of College City and a half section south of that town. In addition to these Mr. Hannum has for the past seventeen years rented and farmed the Reddington tract, of three thousand two hundred and forty acres, near Arbuckle. He resides in College City and conducts a livery stable, hotel and meat market there, besides owning a grocery store in Arbuckle.

Mr. Hannum's family consists of his wife and eight children, six girls and two boys. He is at present serving his third term as Supervisor, having been first elected in 1884.
Harden, George B. (p. 419)
This gentleman is a Missourian by birth, born in the town of Frankfort, Pike County, on November 11, 1847. When eight years of age he removed with his parents to Ralls County, Missouri, and in 1864 crossed the plains with his family, consisting of his father, mother, and four children. The family located in Yolo County for one year, when they removed to Grand Island, Colusa County. After ten years spent in farming there, they moved to Maxwell, and purchased land there. The Hardens were among the pioneers in agricultural pursuits in this locality. In 1878 the railway was completed to Maxwell, and Mr. Harden and his brother, Thomas P. Harden, erected a large warehouse for the storage of grain, and entered into the general commission business on a large scale, buying and selling wheat for themselves, or operating on commission. At the same time they conducted the business of the Puget Sound Lumber Company at Maxwell until 1888. In 1882 Mr. harden became a member of the general merchanising firm of Bacon, Harden & Harden, who continued till 1887, and sold out. Mr. Harden was elected in 1880 to the office of County Assessor, a place he was well-qualified to fill, and retired from that position with increased popularity. He was for a number of years a member of the Democratic County Central Committee. Having been an early promoter of the system of irrigation, and warmly interested in the subject, it was but meet and natural that his usefulness should be recognized in choosing the officer of the Central irrigation District. Hence he was chosen Treasurer on the organization of the district, and has held this position ever since.

Mr. Harden was united in marriage, November 11, 1878, to Miss Lucy Lovelace, and is the father of three children.
Harrington, E. A. (p. 420)
Edwin Augustus Harrington, of Colusa, was born in Burlington, Vermont. January 31, 1834. His parents' names were William B. and Axey Harrington. He was raised on a farm till he reached his sixteenth year, when he was apprenticed to the carpenter and stair-building trade at Plattsburg, New York. Four years later he resided in Boston, engaged as a contractor in the same line of business. On May 10, 1857, Mr. Harrington sailed from New York for California on the steamer Northern Light to Panama, and was there transferred to the Orizaba, en route to San Francisco, where he arrived June 10, 1859. He shortly afterward took up his location at Marysville, where he organized and conducted a sash, door and blind factory for twelve years, a paint and oil store till 1880, and also put on foot a truck and dray company, which he superintended for eight years. Conducting these operations simultaneously, Mr. Harrington's early years in California were very busy ones.

In September, 1876, he came to the town of Colusa, and incorporated the Colusa Stage Company, of which he is both president and superintendent

In the spring of 1885 Mr. Harrington began soliciting stock for the purpose of building a narrow-gauge railroad from Colusa west, to connect with the Southern Pacific Company line. The confidence he reposed in the project was rewarded by his obtaining stock subscriptions to the road in thirty days, amply sufficient to construct it. Of this corporation he has been superintendent since its organization. Mr. Harrington is an energetic, clear-headed, persevering business man. Neither his industry nor his patience ever flags once he is resolved on a measure. Possessing the confidence of the community, he is regarded as unexcelled for his success as an organizer of companies. In politics he is a staunch Republican.

Mr. Harrington was married, in 1859, in Burlington, Vermont, his native State, to Miss Mary A. Lincoln, who became the mother of his two children, and who died in Marysville in 1882. He was married to Miss Lizzie Arnold, his present wife, on July 15, 1886.
Photo of Edwin Harrington

Edwin Augustus Harrington

Harrington, Hon. W. P. (p. 393)
William Pierce Harrington is a pioneer of 1849, having come to California via Panama, arriving at San Francisco August of that year. He was named for his father, a merchant and ship-builder, and was born April 17, 1826, at Damarescatta, Lincoln County, Maine. His boyhood was spent at his father's home, in school and about the store and ship yard, and he finished his education by taking a course at Lincoln Academy, New Castle, Maine. In 1844 Mr. Harrington moved to Rocklin, Maine, and engaged in merchandising, where he remained until 1849, when, on March 4, with a party of fourteen, he started for New York City to take steamer for California. At that time it was nearly impossible to get transportation from Panama to San Francisco and fully four thousand people were on the Isthmus waiting for an opportunity to sail for California. The original party with which he started became separated and Mr. Harrington organized another, which was successful in getting to San Francisco. Like almost all pioneers of ‘49, he at once set out for the mines, going to Big Bar, on Cosumnes River, to engage in placer mining, for three months. In November, he engaged in the mercantile business at Placerville, having the management of the business.

In the fall of 1850 he opened a store for himself at Placerville, but as almost no rains fell it was necessary to abandon the place, as mines could not be worked without water. The next spring he formed a partnership at Marysville, under the firm name of Crockett & Co., which was afterwards changed to Harrington & Hazelton, carrying on general merchandising until 1857. In 1859 a party, consisting of Mr. Harrington, J. C. Fall, J. A. Paxton, Judge Mott and James Wilson, chartered a stage and visited Carson City, Virginia City, Gold Hill and other new mining camps and were impressed with the magnitude of the mineral resources of these camps. The result was that a partnership was formed, first under the firm name of J. C. Fall & Co., then Kincaid & Harrington, and finally Kincaid, Harington & Co., who conducted a general merchandise business at Carson City until the fall of 1864. During this time Mr. Harrington was a member of the first Legislature of the Territory of Nevada, which met in 1861.

On the' first day of May, 1862, Mr. Harrington was married to Miss Sallie H. Tennent, a daughter of John H. Tennent, of Marysville, and a native of Lancaster, Ohio.

Retiring from business in Carson City, he went to San Fran­cisco and engaged in business as stock-broker. At this time the public lands in Colusa County were being taken up by capitalists, and in 1869, in behalf of Decker & Jewett, Mr. Harrington came to Colusa to view and grade lands and purchase, remaining six weeks. Having been impressed, during his trip to Colusa, with the natural resources of the county, Mr. Harrington returned the following spring to make his permanent home at Colusa. He engaged in the real-estate business with W. F. Goad, and during the summer the firm sold about one hundred thousand acres of land.

On the fifteenth day of September, 1870, the Colusa County Bank was organized, and without solicitation the Board of Directors of the bank tendered Mr. Harrington the position of cashier, which position he has held ever since and under whose business management the institution has become one of the leading banks of the State.

Mr. Harrington has been prominent in advancing industries and enterprises for the building up and development of the resources of the county. He was foremost in assisting the building of the Colusa and Lake Railroad, of which company he is president. His business ability is recognized, and is attested by the fact that he is a director in almost every organization in which he is interested. He is a director of the Colusa Canning and Packing Company, and the Colusa Gas Company; he is director and president of the Colusa Milling Company, the bank of Willows, and the Colusa Agricultural Association.

Mr. Harrington is the father of five children: Tennent H., born July 11, 1864, who is engaged in the Colusa County Bank; William M., born November 18, 1866, who is engaged in the banking business in Seattle; Mary Augusta, born April 7, 1869; Louisa Tennent, born February 15, 1876, and one child that died in infancy.
Photo of William Harrington

Hon. William Pierce Harrington

Harrison, N. P. (p. 455)
Nathaniel P. Harrison was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, December 31, 1831. He was sent to the public school of his locality, and early in life began learning the carpenter's trade. In 1853 he went to Tippecanoe County, Indiana, where he resided for twelve years. He came to Marysville, California, in 1865, and to the town of Colusa in 1867, where he was engaged as a contractor and builder. He began making his permanent abode at Williams in 1882, where he always secured contracts in the erection of the largest buildings in the place. Prominent among these are Stovall's large warehouse, Fouch's drug store building, and Crutcher & Manor's building. Mr. Harrison is a distant relative of President Harrison. He is a prominent member of the Odd Fellow' organization, and about as vigorous and robust in personal appearance as even Virginia can produce or California preserve from looking old.
Hartford, John W. (p. 443)
John William Hartford was born August 10, 1848, in New Cumberland, Hancock County, Virginia. His father, James Hartford, was the proprietor of a large flouring-mill at this place. In 1854 he moved with his parents to Vermont, Illinois, where he received the benefits of a common-school education. When only sixteen years of age, he enlisted in the one hundred and thirty-seventh regiment Illinois Volunteers, and at the expiration of his term of service, he went to the frontier of Kansas and engaged in the cattle business. Mr. Hartford came to California in 1875, first located in Stanislaus County, and in 1880 moved to Colusa County and settled down as farmer, four miles southeast of Orland. Here he has prospered in the production of grain, and is one of the substantial men of his locality. He has made two visits to his old home in Illinois. Mr. Hartford is a staunch Democrat, and takes an earnest interest in local public affairs.
Photo of John Hartford

John William Hartford

Hatch, Hon. F. L. (p. 390)
{Francis Louis Hatch} This distinguished soldier and jurist was born in Alabama, in 1822. He was brought up in the State of Mississippi. At an early age he was sent to New Haven, Connecticut, where he received his education. In 1841 he joined his father, who had now removed to Texas. Judge Hatch bore an honorable part in the early struggles of Texan independence. He was in the memorable Somerville campaign of 1843, which resulted in the terrible disaster at Mier, where Colonel Fisher's command, some four hundred in number, was captured by the Mexican General Ampudia. One out of every ten of these prisoners was afterwards shot, and the remainder of them taken to the city of Puebla, Mexico. Judge Hatch's company and three other companies (one of them being under the command of Colonel Jack Hayes, afterwards a resident of California) refused to join Fisher in his fool-hardy enterprise, and made their way back to Texas, after innumerable hardships. On his return home, Judge Hatch was elected Colonel of his district by a unanimous vote of his people. When Texas became a State in the Union, he was elected Major-General of the Middle Division, the State being then divided into three military departments. This office he resigned after holding it several years, and emigrated to California. In 1850 Judge Hatch was elected a member of the Texas Legislature. At that time the secession or disunion feeling ran very high in that State. General Sam Houston's term in the National Senate was about to expire and this legislation was to choose his successor. Judge Hatch was the Houston or Union candidate and was elected.

Judge Hatch soon afterwards resigned his seat in the Texas Legislature, and, accompanied by his wife and family, set out for California, making the journey through Mexico. He located first in Tuolumne County and engaged in mining. He was not successful as a miner, and early in the spring of 1853, he settled in the city of Marysville, and resumed the practice of the law. He at once took a high position at the bar, then justly considered one of the ablest in the State, and this position he maintained till he removed to Colusa, in 1870. In 1857 he was elected District Attorney of Yuba County, and re-elected in 1859. In 1863 he was the Democratic nominee for District Judge, but was defeated, the district being largely Republican. He removed with his family to Colusa, in 1870, and shortly afterwards a vacancy occurring in the office of County Judge, he was appointed to fill it, by Governor Haight. At the first judicial election afterwards he was elected to the office for a full term. At the expiration of his term of office, he declined to seek a re-election. Upon the death of Judge Robinson, however, who succeeded him, he was appointed County Judge a second time by the gov­ernor of the State, and was afterwards again elected by the people for a full term of four years. The Judge was an ardent supporter of the new constitution, and at the general election in 1879 he was elected Superior Judge of Colusa County by a large majority, but he was not destined to complete his term of office. He died at Colusa, October 5, 1881.

Francis Hatch Military Biography
Hemstreet, G. S. (p. 446)
George Sanford Hemstreet was born on his father's farm, in Colusa County, six miles south of Princeton. In 1866, his father having purchased one thousand six hundred and thirty acres of land, one mile north of Princeton, and moved his family, George was sent to attend the Princeton district school. He afterwards was a student of Woodman's Academy, at Chicago, graduating there at the age of seventeen years. He supplemented this with a one year's course at the Placerville Academy. He now returned home and assisted in the management of his father's farm till that gentleman's death, which occurred in December, 1876. He aided his mother in directing the work of the farm till her death, which took place March 20, 1887, when the whole care of the place fell to him, and on which he still resides. Mr. Hemstreet was married, December, 1886, to Miss De Pue, of Sacramento, by whom he has one son, Elmo Leland, to aid in brightening an attractive and comfortable home.
Photo of George Hemstreet

George Sanford Hemstreet

Hennecke, William G. (p. 456)
{William Gerhart HENNEKE - correct spelling} This prosperous farmer resides ten miles south of Smithville. He was born in Oldenburg, Germany, in 1843, and there received a good common-school education, as well as instruction in instrumental music, for which he had early exhibited a cultivated taste. Mr. Hennecke came to America in 1857, locating at Cincinnati, Ohio, where, becoming proficient in music, he was employed in a band. Almost at the beginning of the war, Mr. Hennecke showed his devotion to the land of his adoption by enlisting, in 1862, in the Second Artillery, United States Army, where he served three years, receiving an honorable discharge. In 1882 he located in his present home in Colusa County, where he cultivates and raises stock on one thousand five hundred and eighty acres of choice land. The cultivation of fruit shows how profitable that industry can be made on these rich, rolling lands. Mr. Hennecke is married and the father of five children.

William Henneke Military Biography
Henry, W. C. (p. 461)
William C. Henry, who resides one mile south of Arbuckle, is a native of Canada and was born March 4, 1838. When only three months old, he was brought by his parents to Iowa and afterwards to Savannah, Andrew County, Missouri, where he attended school. He was only sixteen years old when he crossed the plains to this State, arriving at and locating for a short time at Cold Grove Point, in Sutter County. After working nearly a year for George Howell, at Howell's Point, he turned his attention to mining, working at various intervals at New Castle, Placer County, at Long Bar, in Plumas County, and at quartz mining on Jennison Creek in Plumas County. In 1864 he went under engagement to work in the mines at a considerable distance back of Mazatlan, Mexico, where fortune seemed to insist upon his remaining, but owing to the disturbed condition of that country, being then in the throes of the Franco-Mexican War, he only remained six months and then returned to Colusa County. Here, in March, 1867, he took up three hundred and twenty acres of land, where, as a busy, intelligent -farmer, he has been living ever since.

Mr. Henry was married, November 27, 1884, to Mrs. May Miller, who has borne him two children. Mr. Henry is a popular man, full of energy and the spirit of progress. His name has been suggested by many of the leading citizens of the county for the office of Sheriff. He ranks high as an Odd Fellow and is the guiding spirit of the lodge of that order at Arbuckle.
Herd, William N. (p. 430)
On November 10, 1859, William N. Herd came to Colusa County, and went to work at whatsoever his hands found to do that was honorable, in order to earn his daily bread. His honest toil, and close application to his work, earned him more than his daily bread, and three years later he purchased a farm on the east side of the river, near Colusa. In 1870 his neighbors brought this quiet, unassuming, industrious man forward for County Assessor, and he was elected upon the Democratic ticket to that office, serving for six years. William N. Herd is a native of Kentucky, born September 25, 1834. He spent the first nineteen years of his life on his father's farm. In 1854 he made his way to California, following mining at Placerville, with poor success, up to the time he came to this county. In 1885 he was appointed Supervisor to fill the vacancy caused by the death of C. Kopf, and in 1888 was elected to the same office. He is the father of two sons and three daughters, and he lives happily at his home in Colusa, while he farms his land near Maxwell. He is popular as a Supervisor and is esteemed as a citizen.
Hicok, C. C. (p. 420)
Clarence C. is the son of Hon. John J. Hicok, born at Marysville, this State, November 14, 1854. Two years later his parents moved to Grand Island, where he has spent the greater portion of his life. After receiving a common-school education, he took a course at Heald's Business College, in 1873. Upon his return he worked in C. J. Diefendorff's store, at Grand Island. July 29, 1874, he was married to Miss Cora Agnew. He then engaged in farming for himself on Grand Island, his capital at that time consisting of but two honest hands and a willing heart. "Fortune favors the brave," and Mr. Hicok gradually accumulated of this world's goods, and is now in very comfortable circumstances. In August, 1890, owing to poor health, he moved from his farm to Colusa, engaging in the grain and real-estate business. In politics he is a Republican, and takes a leading interest in politics. He was his party's candidate for County Assessor at the last election, and received a handsome vote.

On July 19, 1889, Mr. Hicok met with a sore affliction in the death of his wife, an estimable woman, who was the mother of his three children, two sons and one daughter.
Hood, William M. (p. 443)
Is a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, born January 18, 1833. He moved to DeWitt County in 1840, and lived there on a farm till the spring of 1854, when he set out for California, driving an ox-team across the plains. He was engaged in mining on the Feather River, in Butte County, till 1856. In the following year Mr. Hood made a trip to Oregon, taking with him a band of horses, and returning to California with a herd of cattle. He located in the southern part of Tehama County, north of Orland, in 1858, where he engaged in the stock business. In 1860 he came to Colusa County and went to grain farming. He is at the present time engaged in farming northwest of Orland. Mr. Hood was married in 1863, and is the father of five children, four of whom are living.
Houchins, S. (p. 459)
Samuel Houchins is a native of Mercer County, Kentucky, born January 14, 1827. His father died when Samuel was twelve years old, leaving a widow and eleven children. Samuel being the oldest, upon him to a great extent devolved their maintenance. He labored on the farm nine months of the year and attended the local school the remaining three months. In 1844 he entered Bacon College, at Harrodsburg, Kentucky, and remained in that institution four years. On leaving college he entered regularly the profession of teaching, in which profession he has mainly continued ever since. In 1849 he married Miss Belinda Burks, a native of Kentucky, and in the following year he removed to Monroe County, Missouri, locating near Paris, the county seat. He came to Colusa County in 1872, meeting here many of his friends whom he had known in Kentucky and Missouri.

He was elected superintendent of schools in 1875, holding that office by re-election till 1883. He also served from 1876 to 1878 as principal of the Primary Department of Pierce Christian College, and in 1888 was elected auditor of Colusa County, and re-elected in 1890.